New singer for Jimmy, JPJ and Jason?

MHD

What if jason and jpj sang different songs...good times bad, times, ramble on, nobodys fault but mine, rock and roll. Ofcourse the songs would be so different in their singing tones, but it would take the focus of plant not being there. Other songs, instrumentals...i know, i'm sounding like a broken record.

Either that, or put -john bonham's stainless steel ludwig drum kit front and center and just play an instrumental show.

or ofcourse, they could find a singer and make a rock record too.

How about they do an instrumental while the audience sings? You know, instead of just doing "ah-ahs" let them sing the whole song, maybe slow the whole thing down a bit so they can keep up. Crazy idea I know, but it just popped into my head for some reason. :)

Myles Kennedy is his name. He is the AMAZING voice behind Alter Bridge, the evolution of Creed with a new singer. Led Zeppelin also auditioned Steven Tyler. Tyler sure has a larger legend, more like that of Plant. But then maybe that would have been yet another problem to contend with. For those of you who may not know who Kennedy is, he is honestly one of the best singers I have ever heard. He has a 4-octave range, usually found in opera singers (and Plant). Zeppelin needs that more than they need Steven Tyler.

I am actually one who thinks Plant is being a BIG A-hole for refusing to tour for the fans who put him where he is today - the legend. But if Zeppelin is to tour, let it be with Myles Kennedy. I was stunned when I heard that he was the guy. I thought Page would choose David Coverdale or Paul Rodgers. I wouldn't have imagined they would choose someone so much younger than them, but God bless them for obviously being listeners of the vast bigger music scene and knowing who Kennedy is. And for thinking how great he would fit. I have seen Alter Bridge five times (the band that was Creed, but now is Alter Bridge because they brought in Myles Kennedy). Between Mark Tremonti on guitar and Kennedy's amazing vocal tone and range, they are the most talented heavy rock band on the current scene. Plant's refusal and their insistence could lead to disaster. But with Kennedy on vocals, honest-to-God, they will be enormously better for it.

Never heard that 'fact' - there's another fact though, that sources closer than those that 'work' for Led Zeppelin have confirmed that they HAVE rehearsed with him. Whether he will be the final choice is what remains unconfirmed.

When did those who work for Led Zeppelin confirm this? To you? As far as I can find, Dee Snider is the only source who's come forward to confirm these practices - not saying Dee's bullshitting (why would he?) and he is a decent source in that his management also works for Plant. In any case, the point of my post was centered on this "Myles Kennedy IS the new singer" - which is anything but fact, as you noted.

Brad Whitford of Aerosmith confirms that Steven Tyler has rehearsed with Led Zeppelin - "They did it for fun" and "Jimmy wanted to do it to light a fire under Robert."

I am actually one who thinks Plant is being a BIG A-hole for refusing to tour for the fans who put him where he is today - the legend. But if Zeppelin is to tour, let it be with Myles Kennedy. I was stunned when I heard that he was the guy. I thought Page would choose David Coverdale or Paul Rodgers. I wouldn't have imagined they would choose someone so much younger than them, but God bless them for obviously being listeners of the vast bigger music scene and knowing who Kennedy is. And for thinking how great he would fit. I have seen Alter Bridge five times (the band that was Creed, but now is Alter Bridge because they brought in Myles Kennedy). Between Mark Tremonti on guitar and Kennedy's amazing vocal tone and range, they are the most talented heavy rock band on the current scene. Plant's refusal and their insistence could lead to disaster. But with Kennedy on vocals, honest-to-God, they will be enormously better for it.

I think you're a bigger asshole for making this rude statement as your first post.Grow up Brian!

When did those who work for Led Zeppelin confirm this? To you? As far as I can find, Dee Snider is the only source who's come forward to confirm these practices - not saying Dee's bullshitting (why would he?) and he is a decent source in that his management also works for Plant. In any case, the point of my post was centered on this "Myles Kennedy IS the new singer" - which is anything but fact, as you noted.

Brad Whitford of Aerosmith confirms that Steven Tyler has rehearsed with Led Zeppelin - "They did it for fun" and "Jimmy wanted to do it to light a fire under Robert."

Dee's manager is a friend of Robert's, that's all.

Knebby is a close source herself, Mercurious. And let me add, because I haven't always agreed with her on these forums, that she is indeed very reliable.

I dont understand why anyone likes Dave Grohl? he certainly CANT sing, and his drumming is mediocre at best. I havent liked one foos song since the first album! Zep could do way better. i do like the idea of multiple singers/led Zeppelin and friends though. i thought when the 3 remaining DOORS did that one show with multiple singers, it was great.

Dave's a great drummer. Cobain called him "the best drummer I know" when Courtney was digging at him to fire Dave (I don't know what she had against him). As a singer? Well, he's not the guy from Krokus or whatever hard rock/metal outfit many want to plug in there. Plus, Grohl's got a ton of integrity, much more so than the nu-metal wannabes who followed Nirvana and Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Screaming Trees, Afghan Wigs, Allison in Chains, Tad and the other Seattle bands. (Pearl Jam ommission may be intentional).

What Grohl lacks rangewise, he makes up for in enthusiasm and heart. And he is a Page family friend. Multiple singers and friends, yes!!! :thanku: Seems to me the best way to move forward in the most expansively creative way while respecting both their own legacy and Robert.

Dave's a great drummer. Cobain called him "the best drummer I know" when Courtney was digging at him to fire Dave (I don't know what she had against him). As a singer? Well, he's not the guy from Krokus or whatever hard rock/metal outfit you want to plug in there. Plus, he's got a ton of integrity, much more so than the nu-metal wannabes who followed Nirvana and Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Screaming Trees, Afghan Wigs, Allison in Chains, Tad and the other Seattle bands. (Pearl Jam ommission may be intentional).

What Grohl lacks rangewise, he makes up for in enthusiasm and heart. And he is a Page family friend.

Who's Allison In Chains? :lol:

I think every singer who's ever worked with any 80s metal band has now been suggested. It would be great to think that the guys have more imagination than that--the sort of imagination they showed when they started Zeppelin in the first place. This is a new band, they can come up with something totally new--use an Indian singer, or an African singer, or a female duo, or a small choir (though NOT like the schoolkids Foreigner produced at the O2 :dont: ), or pre-recorded vocal effects, or . . . . Or no vocals. :o

Btw as far as I know, they've actually decided, so this is just me thinking aloud, so to speak. Hopefully their pick WILL turn out to be interesting.

:goodpost:

Btw as far as I know, they've actually decided, so this is just me thinking aloud, so to speak. Hopefully their pick WILL turn out to be interesting.

Wow, we completely agree!!! I think that may be a first? Correct me if it's not.

:D

Great Post.

Dee's manager is a friend of Robert's, that's all.

Knebby is a close source herself, Mercurious. And let me add, because I haven't always agreed with her on these forums, that she is indeed very reliable.

That's not what Dee says (about the manager, not about Knebby). Here's the video of what Snider actually said three weeks ago:

http://blog.muchmusic.com/archives/2008/10...usive_led_z.php

Let me make this my first post... I have been a long time lurker of this board and love the heated discussions that erupt...

The news from JPJ about the tour is some of the best news I have heard in a long time. I am 32 years and of course have never had a chance to see the group and it has always been one of my dreams to see Zep perform...I had dreams as a kid going back in time and seeing and following the group around... I would be that kid from Almost Famous... I have loved them since I was at least 2 years old. I know this because one of my very first memory's is me being in a room with my father and his friends listening to Whole Lotta Love... Zep is in my DNA, I bleed Zep... I think I was conceived to Stairway.

Also, I am from the states and the O2 show was not a reality for me. 12/10 was one of the most somber days in my life, knowing Zep was performing and I was not their to be apart of it sucked! I want to see any version of the band I can get perform. i know that it will be first class if JP and JPJ are involved.

That being said I would really love for Robert to be a part of this project. I am disappointed in his decision and me being a FAN of the group I want things to be like they were in 70's when they were in their prime. I know that will never happen, Bonzo is dead. The guys have aged and grown apart.

I understand Robert doesn't want to be a part of the project and no matter how much wishing and hoping I do, it will not change his mind. I have to move on.

I will say that I am still elated at the chance of seeing JP and JPJ perform together and will not let anything stop me from seeing them if they come to the states with or with out Robert. I want them to perform all of the classics... Heck I would want for them to perform the entire catalog! :D

What about the lead singer of Great White? I don't know his name but have their cover CD of Zep songs and thought he did not sound that bad. For an off the wall suggestion David Bowie maybe. I don't know if I am happy about Steve Tyler being an option either, not that big of a fan. I would rather have Ronnie James Dio than him :blink:

My first two bits... now let the lashings begin.

I just hope it doesn't get ugly in any way. I have read some things that make me wonder if there will be a stir if Jimmy calls it Zeppelin without Robert. Well, is that really important? We all know that it will not be the same as it was when these guys ruled the rock and roll planet. That is something that is frozen in time, and there is absolutely no sense in trying to imagine that we can ever reproduce what those among us who were actually there when the mighty Zeppelin first cast it's long shadow over the unsuspecting globe experienced. That is not only beyond our reach, but beyond the reach of the musicians themselves. So, it can never REALLY be Led Zeppelin without Bonzo and Robert... first of all.

I wish he would come aboard, but everyone needs to let Robert go in his direction while Zeppelin continues on it's own.

So, at this point 40 years ago today, they would still be The New Yardbirds, correct? But by summer 2009, how about something like this ...

THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME

Led Zeppelin & Friends

40th Anniversary Tour

Featuring Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, Jason Bonham, Myles Kennedy, Dave Grohl (foos), Leona Lewis, Joe Walsh, The Cult, The Tea Party and more ...

and Robert too, whenever he feels like it

I'm not an insider, so I cannot personally confirm anything of the sort. But, what I have done is read MANY postings on many websites after hearing of this on a major radio station in Chicago. Look how such "news" spreads. Personally, I hope like hell that rehearsing with Steven Tyler was simply to "light a fire under Robert", as you state as fact. Let's ALL hope that all remaining members will tour together aws Led Zeppelin. All I intended as fact is that Myles Kennedy, who is wildly rumoured on the Internet, is quite capable (vocally anyway).

I'm not an insider, so I cannot personally confirm anything of the sort. But, what I have done is read MANY postings on many websites after hearing of this on a major radio station in Chicago. Look how such "news" spreads. Personally, I hope like hell that rehearsing with Steven Tyler was simply to "light a fire under Robert", as you state as fact. Let's ALL hope that all remaining members will tour together aws Led Zeppelin. All I intended as fact is that Myles Kennedy, who is wildly rumoured on the Internet, is quite capable (vocally anyway).

You're responding to a post that was directed at someone else (as was clear from the fact the poster quoted her).

That doesn't sound interesting to me. For what they'd have to charge to support a bill like that, it wouldn't be worth it.

Well, plug in Chris Cornell, whomever you like; Aquamarine's ideas were all interesting, too. Choirs/backing vocalists -- I wouldn't doubt that Jonesy's thought of those things.

As for the ticket prices, they wouldn't necessarily have to be outrageous. People pay a hundred bucks a pop for two halfway decent seats to an NBA game, and that's in the smaller NBA markets. The highest grossing touring band of the 90s was the Dead, which is a pretty big operation, and they don't jack their fans at the gate.

I don't know about someone like, say, Leona Lewis, but Dave Grohl, for example, would probably tag along for the free beer and hotel rooms. Stone Temple Pilots bass player said a few months ago that one of the motivations for STP getting back together was a chance to realistically hope of possibly opening up for Led Zeppelin. He said he'd play in a doghouse, the middle of the of the ocean, anywhere for the dream of sharing a stage with Zep. No doubt many bands and singers would feel that way.

Also at this point there would be probably be millions going to ABC Trust and other charities so that no one would get the impression that Sir Jimmy Page was just doing the tour to fill his and John Paul's bank accounts. :mellow:

Archived