New singer for Jimmy, JPJ and Jason?

MHD

Once again, I am going to disagree with the "Robert's voice is fried" theory. Based entirely on recent performances, that I have been fortunate to hear. He is still a legend, a legend who chooses to no longer scream. That in no way indicates his voice is fried.

I agree. I have seen RP at The Leadbelly Tribute (2004), with SS (2006) and with AK (2008), he sounded great. I suppose one could argue that the type of singing he did in these projects is quite different than singing Zep songs but his singing at the O2 sounded damn fine to me!

Unfortunately I wasn't at the O2. :(

I think every singer who's ever worked with any 80s metal band has now been suggested. It would be great to think that the guys have more imagination than that--the sort of imagination they showed when they started Zeppelin in the first place. This is a new band, they can come up with something totally new--use an Indian singer, or an African singer, or a female duo, or a small choir (though NOT like the schoolkids Foreigner produced at the O2 :dont: ), or pre-recorded vocal effects, or . . . . Or no vocals. :o

Btw as far as I know, they've actually decided, so this is just me thinking aloud, so to speak. Hopefully their pick WILL turn out to be interesting.

All good ideas! But do you mean they have decided (since Sunday when JPJ gave that interview and said they still had no idea), or do you mean, for all you know, they have perhaps already decided...? :unsure:

But by summer 2009, how about something like this ...

THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME

Led Zeppelin & Friends

40th Anniversary Tour

Featuring Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, Jason Bonham, Myles Kennedy, Dave Grohl (foos), Leona Lewis, Joe Walsh, The Cult, The Tea Party and more ...

and Robert too, whenever he feels like it

I'm thinking no, thanks. If they cannot put together a dynamic four piece with new material to offer they should just stay home and release more tapes from the vault.

At the moment, the song does remain the same, and IMHO that's part of the problem.

I'm thinking no, thanks. If they cannot put together a dynamic four piece with new material to offer they should just stay home and release more tapes from the vault.

At the moment, the song does remain the same, and IMHO that's part of the problem.

Why should they get hung up on it being a four-piece if Robert isn't the fourth? Hard rock dulls itself with its own limitations. Give me a Greek chorus any day. The core of the band setting the template will be Jimmy, John Paul and Jason. Whatever wails in and over and around that template in Robert's place shouldn't have to bear the onus of the Zep legacy alone, nor should this entire burden fall on the imagination of a single singer. Robert himself wasn't up to it at times, and apparently isn't up to it now.

Also, 'twould depend much on the landscapes Jimmy and John Paul are cooking up now -- maybe those musical statements don't lend themselves to one singer and would be better delivered with a three or four singers and a couple of multi-instrumentalists melting in and out of the lead mic, a chorus and whatever support instruments are required.

CELEBRATION DAY

40 years of Led Zeppelin

I don't know what to say about it,

When all your ears are turned away,

But now's the time to look and look again at what you see,

Is that the way it ought to stay?

Why should they get hung up on it being a four-piece if Robert isn't the fourth? Hard rock dulls itself with its own limitations. Give me a Greek chorus any day. The core of the band setting the template will be Jimmy, John Paul and Jason. Whatever wails in and over and around that template in Robert's place shouldn't have to bear the onus of the Zep legacy alone, nor should this entire burden fall on the imagination of a single singer. Robert himself wasn't up to it at times, and apparently isn't up to it now.

Also, 'twould depend much on the landscapes Jimmy and John Paul are cooking up now -- maybe those musical statements don't lend themselves to one singer and would be better delivered with a three or four singers and a couple of multi-instrumentalists melting in and out of the lead mic, a chorus and whatever support instruments are required.

CELEBRATION DAY

40 years of Led Zeppelin

I don't know what to say about it,

When all your ears are turned away,

But now's the time to look and look again at what you see,

Is that the way it ought to stay?

Doesn't want to do it now - big difference - as anyone who was at the O2 will testify.

I agree , four piece, new name , new material ( no rythym guitar in shadows ) Plus Jonesy appears to be very motivated , and that I think will be ( has been already ) contagious and also hopefully breed creativity.

Page/Jones/Bonham/Cornell.

(hey, I'm entitled to dream, aren't I?) :P

Now you're talking!!! If a four-piece it must be, and what Jimmy is looking for is a bluesy American grunge singer with a strong folk background, there is no better choice than Cornell, who was at the forefront of it.

B)

Edit: Just added the word "and"

All good ideas! But do you mean they have decided (since Sunday when JPJ gave that interview and said they still had no idea), or do you mean, for all you know, they have perhaps already decided...? :unsure:

Sorry, Allison, not very clear on my part--and even less clear now I've thought about it. I meant that to the best of my knowledge they'd already picked Kennedy (I was taking JPJ's refusal to specify as the sort of obfuscation Robert often gets accused of), but now thinking on't, perhaps they REALLY haven't decided yet. Either way, I stand by my opinion that I hope their pick turns out to be interesting! :D

Edited for speling

Now you're talking!!! If a four-piece it must be, what Jimmy is looking for is a bluesy American grunge singer with a strong folk background, there is no better choice than Cornell, who was at the forefront of it.

B)

Yeah, Chris Cornell would be really interesting...

and what about Jack White B)

Yeah, Chris Cornell would be really interesting...

and what about Jack White B)

So Jack, what guitar of yours would you take to a desert island?

"Oh - Jimmy's guitar!"

White's probably too busy with his own things to do it, but I'd bet on him showing up as a guest here and there on the tour!

Now you're talking!!! If a four-piece it must be, what Jimmy is looking for is a bluesy American grunge singer with a strong folk background, there is no better choice than Cornell, who was at the forefront of it.

B)

Precisely.

Secondly, I've heard Chris cover Zep tunes, most notably Communication Breakdown, Thank You and Whole Lotta Love. He excelled in these, without coming off as a Plant clone.

Chris is the man for the job.

Sorry, Allison, not very clear on my part--and even less clear now I've thought about it. I meant that to the best of my knowledge they'd already picked Kennedy (I was taking JPJ's refusal to specify as the sort of obfuscation Robert often gets accused of), but now thinking on't, perhaps they REALLY haven't decided yet. Either way, I stand by my opinion that I hope their pick turns out to be interesting! :D

Edited for speling

Oh! I guess I took Jonesy at his word--he always sounds so earnest!

Oh! I guess I took Jonesy at his word--he always sounds so earnest!

You could be right--I had just assumed he didn't want to be pushed into making some kind of "announcement" yet, I guess.

I'm getting to the point where if they DO make an official announcement that they're using Kennedy as a vocalist, I'll think "Aha! So they're going with Tyler, then!" :rolleyes::D

You could be right--I had just assumed he didn't want to be pushed into making some kind of "announcement" yet, I guess.

I'm getting to the point where if they DO make an official announcement that they're using Kennedy as a vocalist, I'll think "Aha! So they're going with Tyler, then!" :rolleyes::D

:lol:

Precisely.

Secondly, I've heard Chris cover Zep tunes, most notably Communication Breakdown, Thank You and Whole Lotta Love. He excelled in these, without coming off as a Plant clone.

Chris is the man for the job.

i really wish this would happen. i strongly agree-a different voice altogether that could handle doing zep tunes no problem without apeing robert.

let's vote for this and forget about the president stuff....

Interesting to me that all the news items on this topic seem to be illustrated with a pic of the one person who's not involved. Similarly, I just saw on the CNN ticker "LED ZEPPELIN FOUNDING BASSIST SAYS GROUP MAY REUNITE AND TOUR WITHOUT LEAD SINGER ROBERT PLANT--AP". It's like the absence of Robert is the story (Jonesy didn't even get a name-check) rather than the more positive news, but I suppose that's inevitable until they make an announcement about who actually WILL be the new vocalist.

Interesting to me that all the news items on this topic seem to be illustrated with a pic of the one person who's not involved. Similarly, I just saw on the CNN ticker "LED ZEPPELIN FOUNDING BASSIST SAYS GROUP MAY REUNITE AND TOUR WITHOUT LEAD SINGER ROBERT PLANT--AP". It's like the absence of Robert is the story (Jonesy didn't even get a name-check) rather than the more positive news, but I suppose that's inevitable until they make an announcement about who actually WILL be the new vocalist.

Very good point - not only that but the fact that it's the media fueling the story of the band being Led Zeppelin when that hasn't been stated by Jimmy or John Paul. All they said is they're rehearsing. I'm sure in due time (they do like to keep us on our toes waiting!) we'll find out who the singer is and what their plans are. I shall sit and wait as patiently as I can.

Key word there in the headline is MAY -- mainstream media still doesn't know what's going on, so not only have the main media outlets stayed away from the story until the last few days or so (LA Times, AP), they are couching their terms. While we've been discussing it for months, it's just now sinking in to the rest of the world that Robert Plant has said NO. Yet they're still not sure, and they want to get what John Paul said correctly, so the word is MAY. Jonesy didn't actually say Plant won't be involved -- but Plant did, as we know. Somebody who works for AP is going to be conservative with his or her angle. From a mainstream perspective, Led Zeppelin without its lead singer is still the story and will remain the story (unfortunate but it's true), and they're not going to delve much into the details of the fact that there really is no Led Zeppelin without Peter Grant and Bonzo anyway.

All of which leads me to think the name will be used in some way, though it won't be trumpeted that THIS IS LED ZEPPELIN.

Archived