New singer for Jimmy, JPJ and Jason?

MHD

Precisely.

Secondly, I've heard Chris cover Zep tunes, most notably Communication Breakdown, Thank You and Whole Lotta Love. He excelled in these, without coming off as a Plant clone.

Chris is the man for the job.

Absolutely. Cornell's more than the obvious choice. He's the perfect choice. They haven't called and asked him, according to Chris. Jimmy??? :slapface:

Key word there in the headline is MAY -- mainstream media still doesn't know what's going on, so not only have the main media outlets stayed away from the story until the last few days or so (LA Times, AP), they are couching their terms. While we've been discussing it for months, it's just now sinking in to the rest of the world that Robert Plant has said NO. Yet they're still not sure, and they want to get what John Paul said correctly, so the word is MAY. Jonesy didn't actually say Plant won't be involved -- but Plant did, as we know. Somebody who works for AP is going to be conservative with his or her angle. From a mainstream perspective, Led Zeppelin without its lead singer is still the story and will remain the story (unfortunate but it's true), and they're not going to delve much into the details of the fact that there really is no Led Zeppelin without Peter Grant and Bonzo anyway.

All of which leads me to think the name will be used in some way, though it won't be trumpeted that THIS IS LED ZEPPELIN.

Yes he did. :huh: But anyway, I agree with the rest (except possibly the Grant part), in that my point was about the way the story is being reported (rather than what the actual truth of it might be). I have no feelings about the matter, just pointing it out!

Absolutely. Cornell's more than the obvious choice. He's the perfect choice. They haven't called and asked him, according to Chris. Jimmy??? :slapface:

You'll probably laugh at me for saying this as I clearly have stated that I still think that RP is the best choice but IMHO, if it isn't going to be him, It should be an unknown singer. I've suggested a female in the past but as long as there is a great voice behind whatever music comes, I'll accept it and enjoy it. I suppose it's just my vision of the legacy that leads me to it being someone publically unkown. I think it would be fitting.

Who was that French chick that sang with Jeff Beck on Rollin' and Tumblin' and 'Dirty Mind' ahh Imogen Heap. Now there's a voice

Yes he did. :huh: But anyway, I agree with the rest (except possibly the Grant part), in that my point was about the way the story is being reported (rather than what the actual truth of it might be). I have no feelings about the matter, just pointing it out!

WE know that from Robert's press release, but from the point of view of an outside journalist, the question wasn't put to Jonesy: "So is Robert Plant not an option, then?" Jones: "No, he's not doing it." That didn't happen, so a mainstream journalist (and AP is the mainstream) looking at the Jones interview is going to look at Jonesy's comments and see that Jones was trying to leave the door open for Robert (he was) and will back off any definitive statements -- MAY.

Though, yeah, he did say "Robert doesn't want to play loud music, right now anyway ..." :unsure:

I think the door will remain open until the point they actually announce a singer. That's not to say they are actively courting Robert anymore or they even think he will change his mind, but if he actually DID ring them up at the 11th hour, I bet they wouldn't say no.

That was a great interview.

Funny answer he gave to the question of being asked to fill in for Robert.

Here is the link.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1598367/2...ell_chris.jhtml

"I think I should actually fill in for Jimmy Page on the Robert Plant/ Alison Krauss tour."

That is good. :D

Call Cornell up, Jimmy, please!!!!

"I think I should actually fill in for Jimmy Page on the Robert Plant/ Alison Krauss tour."

That is good. :D

Call Cornell up, Jimmy, please!!!!

I'll take her anyday ;)

this board sounds a lot like the board over at Heretodaygonetohell.com.

G'n'R isn't G'n'R without the other guys, and it's an atrocity that Axl is using the name.

Same thing with the guys here. Bonham is dead, and if Plant is out, then they shouldn't call it Led Zeppelin.

Is a disgrace that replacement singers are supposedly being checked out.

G'n'R isn't G'n'R without the other guys, and it's an atrocity that Axl is using the name.

Same thing with the guys here. Bonham is dead, and if Plant is out, then they shouldn't call it Led Zeppelin.

Nahh, if Axl wants to tour with Tommy Stinson from the Replacements and Buckethead, he can call it whatever he likes -- it'll be amazing. Shit,they should just do replacements songs.

"I'm so, I'm so -- satisfied

I'm so, I'm so dissatisfied ...

Maybe the thing with Axl is just as much about getting Paul to play with Tommy as it is about Axl getting his shit together? Jimmy Page's position is more like Slash's (no, good people, I'm not comparing although Slash may be the closest thing to the second coming of Page) ... which rules Weiland and Axl out of this Zeppelin carousel.

btw, what's Izzy doing? :huh:

i just cant fathom the thinking here...........

jimmy, jonesy and jason want to make music.

they are looking for a singer. not a replacement singer, a singer. for their NEW project.

sheesh! why the hell is that a disgrace?

But no-one in the official camp has said it would be called Led Zeppelin! If Jimmy or JPJ had come out and said "We are touring as Led Zeppelin with a replacement singer" then you can argue that there is some cause for this backlash. A lot of people are getting worked up about nothing. As Aqua pointed out, the media have took the side of the story that focuses on Robert not being involved, creating lots of negativity.

Let us wait and see what any official announcement states before getting into a tizzy :)

But no-one in the official camp has said it would be called Led Zeppelin! If Jimmy or JPJ had come out and said "We are touring as Led Zeppelin with a replacement singer" then you can argue that there is some cause for this backlash. A lot of people are getting worked up about nothing. As Aqua pointed out, the media have took the side of the story that focuses on Robert not being involved, creating lots of negativity.

Let us wait and see what any official announcement states before getting into a tizzy :)

Well, no, if we can't speculate and sound off and have to wait for an official statement, what's the point of having this forum??

Jimmy's going to put the name in play. He's done due diligence with Robert.

I think you know as well as I that they are going to call this Led Zeppelin. Especially if they want Robert back so bad.

I think you know as well as I that they are going to call this Led Zeppelin. Especially if they want Robert back so bad.

Okay, if Page, Jones, Jason, and a new singer call themselves "The Potatoes", will you be okay with that?

Semantics.

Very good point - not only that but the fact that it's the media fueling the story of the band being Led Zeppelin when that hasn't been stated by Jimmy or John Paul. All they said is they're rehearsing. I'm sure in due time (they do like to keep us on our toes waiting!) we'll find out who the singer is and what their plans are. I shall sit and wait as patiently as I can.

agree and Same here :)they will make the right decision in due course, but at least we know they will be doing something in some form which is just the best news of the year !!

Let's face facts, you know nothing about what they're going to call themselves. Yes, Jimmy would like Robert into the fold, but he's also said recently that a genuine Led Zeppelin tour would need all the members present at the O2. I don't think Jimmy would risk tarnishing the band's legacy by doing otherwise for the sake of selling more tickets. Plenty of people would like to see them anyway.

I don't believe that it makes any difference to Robert what they call themselves. The fact is, Robert knows all three guys very well. He also knows what type of music they intend on playing. Robert either wants to do it or he doesn't.

A couple of thoughts - The focus of this and multiple other threads, not to mention the media, is who is the best singer that can do justice to the Led Zeppelin catalog. I'm also wondering who is the best songwriter? Maybe 50% of all of the Zep songs were Page/Plant compositions. I wouldn't pretend to understand the songwriting process and I'm sure it's different with different people. But it is obvious that Page/Plant was something special. On a par with Lennon/McCartney and Jagger/Richards. Can Page/Jones/Bonham write good songs or is whatever makes it magical missing?

As much as people like to bash Robert Plant's solo career, Jimmy and John Paul's post-Zep careers have been far less prolific, successful or memorable. Clearly not because of lack of musicianship but more lack of good songwriting partners. I can't remember the last time I heard a song by the Firm or Coverdale-Page. The songs just weren't that good.

In my opinion, there has to be new material and there has to be at least a couple of really good songs, otherwise it could all backfire and they look like old men reliving their past. They need a great singer that can handle the Zep tunes without trying to sound like Robert. He or she hopefully adds something special to the creative process and isn't just singing the songs.

I'm not sure about Myles Kennedy. Their version of Kashmir on youtube was awful but Rock and Roll was great. I admit I don't know much Alter Bridge, but from what I've heard it reminds me a bit of Pearl Jam. Like really serious. Very heavy, with no sensitivity or playfulness or fun. Again, I don't know much of their music - these aspects may be there and I'm just unaware of them.

One of the many great things about Robert Plant is his stage presence. It's difficult to take your eyes off of him and he really connects with the audience. And he always seems like he is having fun on stage. There are very few people that have that type of charisma. Bono is the only one that comes immediately to mind.

All in all a very tall order to fill. I'm sure they realize the scrutiny they will be under, and Jimmy is very protective of the Led Zeppelin legacy so I know that they will be careful with their choice. I would pay to see Jimmy Page perform with a wind-up monkey (oh wait, I did with the Firm :P ) and I've never seen JPJ so I am exited and I'll be there no matter what they do.

A couple of thoughts - The focus of this and multiple other threads, not to mention the media, is who is the best singer that can do justice to the Led Zeppelin catalog. I'm also wondering who is the best songwriter?

[...]

All in all a very tall order to fill. I'm sure they realize the scrutiny they will be under, and Jimmy is very protective of the Led Zeppelin legacy so I know that they will be careful with their choice. I would pay to see Jimmy Page perform with a wind-up monkey (oh wait, I did with the Firm :P ) and I've never seen JPJ so I am exited and I'll be there no matter what they do.

Well said. Great post.

Archived