http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2007...en_kings_t.html

1) Steve Earle - “Washington Square Serenade”

2) Wilco - “Sky Blue Sky”

3) Mika - “Life in Cartoon Motion”

4) Lyle Lovett and His Large Band - “It’s Not Big It’s Large”

5) Ozzy Osbourne - “Black Rain”

6) John Fogerty - “Revival”

7) Southern Culture on the Skids - “Countrypolitan Favorites”

This is the second time I've heard about his favorite albums. I don't remember if last time it was from the last year or what, but why is anyone asking him that question? :lol:

Maybe because Stephen is a musician himself? Maybe because King often works some of his favorite bands into his novels? Maybe because he is a very avid fan and follower of music? Whatever the reason, I personally don't have a problem with people that are percieved to be outside of the music world being asked what their favorite albums of the year are. I'm not a musician, can't play a fucking note but I also have my favorites. Funny thing is, the exclusion of Ryan Adams' Easy Tiger, which King praised upon it's release earlier this year.

By the way, here's another Stephen King year end best of list (which also includes Southern Culture on the Skids):

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,847439,00.html

Stephen King on Easy Tiger:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/42...n-adams-itigeri

30417.x-news-adams-king.jpg

Stephen King Big Ups Ryan Adams' Tiger

One critic who won't be giving Ryan Adams' latest one-and-a-half stars: Stephen King, novel mass-producing machine, and probably your mom's favorite author (mine too).

Those trolling Amazon.com recently in anticipation of Easy Tiger's June 26 release may have stumbled across a little nugget of a Product Description whose scribe claims to be King. "I won't say Adams is the best North American singer-songwriter since Neil Young...but I won't say he isn't, either," this King puts forth. "What I know is there has never been a Ryan Adams record quite as strong and together as Easy Tiger."

Turns out that the man behind those words is indeed thee Stephen King, according to Adams' publicist. The two are apparently fans of one another's work, and we suspect, one another's ridiculous prolificacy. And the paragraph-or-so-long Amazon.com bit? It's in fact extracted from an even longer Adams bio/homage penned by King, the full text of which you may peruse after the jump. At least, until the interweb Langoliers gobble it up.

It was, Ryan Adams says, this girl he's been spending time with; the title of this album is her fault. "She wanted to go out to dinner at eight; I wanted to go right away. She said, 'Easy, Tiger.' And that hit me. It stuck with me to the point where I called up Neal [that would be Neal Casal, guitarist of The Cardinals] and left a message on his answering machine with those two words. 'Don't forget this,' I said, 'cause I want to use it.'"

Adams laughs and adds, "I think he's still got that message."

And I understand that. Some things you just save, because they're worth playing over again.

I think there are really only two kinds of pop music CDs these days. There are the ones you listen to only once or twice, maybe downloading the single good song to your iPod or computer; then there are others that grow stronger, sweeter, and more necessary each time you play them. Gold was that way; Cold Roses was that way; so was Jacksonville City Nights. I won't say Adams is the best North American singer-songwriter since Neil Young...but I won't say he isn't, either. What I know is there has never been a Ryan Adams record quite as strong and together as Easy Tiger; it's got enough blue-eyed, blue-steel soul (with the faintest country tinge) to make me think of both Marvin Gaye and the Righteous Brothers. Probably ridiculous, but true. And the songs themselves are beautiful-- the lyrics tightly focused and brief, the feeling one of melancholy calm that will probably be a revelation to fans that remember the old, sometimes angry Ryan Adams.

He agrees that the tone of Easy Tiger is different-- not dark, just different-- and suggests in passing that it may have something to do with both sobering up and growing up (he's 32). Then he goes on to talk about the process, which is clearly something close to his heart. "I write on a manual typewriter," he says. "I get up, I have a cup of coffee, I sit down at the typewriter. I never spent a useless day behind a typewriter."

I say amen to that, but he's already going on.

"It's like-- I don't know, sometimes it's like chasing a pretty girl on the beach. And things I never thought I could do...I can do."

I mention how prolific he is, aware that I might be touching a sore point. After all, there are plenty of critics who seem to think that's a bad thing. Adams, however, just laughs.

"Yeah, yeah, in America people give you shit for working hard," he says. "But...it's process, that's all. I process things. I went into the dream business. If people need 'em, I've got extra."

He talks enthusiastically about all the unreleased material he hopes to set free in a box set, maybe at the end of the year ("If people hear it all, then they'll get the connections," he says), but that's then. Now there's this, maybe the best Ryan Adams CD ever. And I know you want to listen to it right away. But slow down. Take your time. This album asks for that, and it will reward your full attention.

In other words-- easy, Tiger.

--Stephen King

Yeah, okay :huh:. Just because he's a very well-known author who likes/loves music (who the heck doesn't?) means people should hear about which albums he thinks are great? I couldn't care less what he thinks...or anyone, really. It's just weird is all.

Yeah, okay :huh:. Just because he's a very well-known author who likes/loves music (who the heck doesn't?) means people should hear about which albums he thinks are great? I couldn't care less what he thinks...or anyone, really. It's just weird is all.

then why be on a forum discussing music if you don't care what other people think about music?

then why be on a forum discussing music if you don't care what other people think about music?

:huh: I don't care what other people think is good or bad music-wise..or anything entertainment-wise, actually. I can determine what is good and what is bad for myself. I don't like to "discuss" music in terms of what's good and what isn't because that's an opinion thing.

:huh: I don't care what other people think is good or bad music-wise..or anything entertainment-wise, actually. I can determine what is good and what is bad for myself. I don't like to "discuss" music in terms of what's good and what isn't because that's an opinion thing.

You obviously must have had some interest in King's picks or you wouldn't have clicked on this thread. I also determine what I like on my own, however that doesn't stop me from being interested in what other people are listening to (whether be King or my fellow internet posters). Many times that's how I get turned on to music I otherwise never would have heard of. I can check it out on my own from there. I may or may not like it but at least I made the effort to seek out more new music. As for discussing what we all think is good or bad, of course that's an opinion thing. It's also a very huge part of what "discussion" boards like this are for. There's nothing saying we all have to agree.

Actually, no, I just came to post asking why anyone would care--out of curiosity. His favorites of 2004 list gave me a good laugh though, what with "American Idiot" being number one.

I agree with the other part. I guess what I meant to say is I don't let people's opinions affect my own. Too many people do.

Actually, no, I just came to post asking why anyone would care--out of curiosity. His favorites of 2004 list gave me a good laugh though, what with "American Idiot" being number one.

I agree with the other part. I guess what I meant to say is I don't let people's opinions affect my own. Too many people do.

I don't see how any of these lists affect anyone's opinion. Now, if I keep seeing a record listed over and over again it's naturally going to raise my curiosity level a bit, quite possibly to the point where I might even check out that record but that doesn't mean I'm automatically gonna like it. So, someone asks Stephen King what his favorites are each year, it's no different than everyone here doing the very same thing.

B) I don't give a dime... The guy's listening to what he want... and If some sort of journalist is asking him, he respond... and then some members of some sort of board all gettin' freak out about it...

kinda funny!!

I agree. So, someone asks Stephen King what his favorite CDs are each year, what's the big fucking deal? Most every year each of us also contribute our thoughts on our favorites. Other than King being a well known author, I really don't see much difference. It's always interesting to me to read other's thoughts at the end of the year on their favorite releases no matter who they are.

No, I wasn't referring to your posts...

Actually, I was referring to last year thread about his 2006 best records!

Everybody was all over him because he like this instead of that... which is kind of freakin' out for absolutely nothing... (I'm not sayin' King's choices are nothing... it's only HIS opinion)

Rock On!

Yeah, okay :huh: . Just because he's a very well-known author who likes/loves music (who the heck doesn't?) means people should hear about which albums he thinks are great? I couldn't care less what he thinks...or anyone, really. It's just weird is all.

Yes but lets face it, you clicked on here because of his well known name.  If this thread read "John Smith's favorite records of "07" you'd care even less.

As a well known wordsmith, I do find his opinions slightly ineteresting, I don't agree with them, but still interesting.

Yes but lets face it, you clicked on here because of his well known name. If this thread read "John Smith's favorite records of "07" you'd care even less.

Not true. It's because I recognize who he is that I asked why anyone would care to ask him. I'm not the only person who felt that way.

Not true. It's because I recognize who he is that I asked why anyone would care to ask him. I'm not the only person who felt that way.

Why not ask him?  Alot of his books quote rock lyrics to start chapters....so he's pretty obviously a fan.

We all post are own opinions about music every day....what's wrong with seeing an opinion from outside of this board?

I just don't see why anyone would care to ask. But you guys go ahead and think it's not weird to ask a horror story writer what he thinks were the best albums of the year--not once, but at least twice--if only because he loves rock music (like so very many other people).

Archived