Oh CANADA!

ZoSoDragon

I was made an Honorary Canadian during a geology conference I attended with my master's adviser, an honor so bestowed by a group of lovely people from the University of Waterloo.

And I've wanted to move to Canada pretty much since 2000...

Does that count? ^_^

Yeah,ZD is still a bit sore over that loss.

I think I'm over it, dear. :rolleyes:

I'm glad to have made the sacrifice of a loss. Because if we would have won in game 7 instead of you, you wouldn't have spoken to me for a week. :rolleyes:

Rorer takes sports seriously, my friends... :duel:

I was made an Honorary Canadian during a geology conference I attended with my master's adviser, an honor so bestowed by a group of lovely people from the University of Waterloo.

And I've wanted to move to Canada pretty much since 2000...

Does that count? ^_^

What an interesting story, Waterwitch....

I am familiar with The University or Waterloo...in the city of Waterloo, Ontario. This city is joined with Kitchener. In the Fall they have North America's largest Bavarian festival called OKTOBERFEST...

It draws people from many places. Not only do they have polka music, they have events that feature Canadian rock groups..They whole event is ..in one word...WUNDERBAR...

Juliet

Edited by Juliet

Well...I guess all Canadians are excited since our beloved Goods and Services Tax was reduced by 1% on January 1....

We are now just being screwed....oops I mean charged 5% instead of the former 6% and the original 7%...

Some official with the Taxpayers Federation and a couple pf MP's in the opposition party say that it is bad economics...there's always a party pooper....

If one buys a small item, there isn't much of of a saying. However if one buys a "big ticket" item, one does save some money....

Steven Harper ...Mr. Prime Minister....you've made me wait for your ***** decrease so you will just have to wait for my hard earned money in your bulging tax coffers at Revenue Canada!!!!!!

Juliet :P

Don't forget acknowledgements to Mr. Pompous Potato-Head who brought us the GST in the first place. Some interesting questions that Diane Francis posed a few weeks back...

mulroney_harper.jpg

Did Mulroney remember the GST?

Diane Francis, Financial Post Published: Thursday, December 13, 2007

Did Brian Mulroney remit 7% GST on the $300,000 fees in cash he got a few years ago from arms dealer Karlheinz Schreiber?

And how about the 7.95% in Quebec sales taxes?

Mulroney has admitted taking three $100,000 cash payments and Schreiber said it was fees. GST on $300,000 would have totalled $21,000 (at 7%) and if the Quebec sales tax applied, the total due was $44,850.

Or did Mulroney, who admitted to being late in declaring the money as income, fail to pay his beloved GST or Quebec's portion?

Mulroney brought in the GST in January, 1991. The GST rules are that taxes are charged the customer (in this case, Schreiber) and are collected and remitted by the seller (Mulroney). And any kind of fees-- consulting, lobbying, public relations or legal--are taxable.

The Quebec sales tax may not apply, so Parliamentarians should ask Mulroney when he testifies today where he was resident when he took the payment. This is important be-cause Quebec also collects 7.95% sales taxes on fees but Ontario does not.

Under Section 191.10 of the Quebec Sales Tax Act, the 7.5% QST is charged on top of the fees, plus 7% GST, for a total of 13.95%. When the GST was 7%, the total was 14.95%.

But the residency of the buyer of the services has to be Quebec, too, or the QST does not apply, only the GST.

So where did Schreiber reside at the time of the payments? If he lived outside Quebec, only the 7% GST, or $21,000, would have had to be remitted by Mulroney.

Or did Schreiber only act as an intermediary for some entity offshore? If so, he had to declare the $300,000 as sales commission income, then deduct what he paid Mulroney. Did he declare this income?

GST must be remitted every 30 days or serious interest and penalties apply. Did he incur these or did he dispatch with the sales taxes in a timely fashion while forgetting income taxes?

Here are the rules taken from the government's Web site: "Persons and organizations engaged in commercial activities in Canada, who have over four consecutive calendar quarters worldwide taxable sales of more than $30,000, must register for and collect the Goods and Services Tax/ Harmonized Sales Tax."

If he did properly register, he would have had to give Schreiber his GST, and possibly QST, numbers so Schreiber could write off the tax portion of the $300,000 he paid Mulroney.

Then there's Schreiber: Did he declare the $300,000 in Canada to tax officials in any form, as a business expense or income? And did he declare, as income, the $200,000 in a European bank account that he said he had earmarked for Mulroney but kept because the former prime minister did not perform the agreed services? Worldwide income must be declared by Canadian residents.

Just asking.

The feds were forced to lower the GST due to a bulging cash surplus. They need to take a decrease in federal revenue so they don't have to pay the increased revenue penalties. Yes, there are revenue penalties......This was not a feel good move, it was mandatory.

JAG......NO I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN YOU KNOW WHO...I was just trying to start 2008 with a case of imaginary amnesia when it comes to former leaders of the former Progressive Conservative Party of Canada...

Angel...thanks for that insight..I didnt' know..I will cancel my order for a DR FEELGOOD T-SHIRT for Steven Harris..I mean Harper...I hope he won't cry....

Juliet :rolleyes:

I've been told by a respected friend on this site that what I posted earlier isn't exactly true. I'm sorry guys. It was sent to me via email by a Canadian friend, and she liked it, so I thought it would be nice to share.

:'(

Edited by manderlyh

..Sad news to report on one of Canada's fine female punk musicians

Bif Naked a.k.a. Beth Torbert, has been diagnosed with breast cancer. She revealed this personal story during a radio interview on The Strombo Show hosted by George S. of CBC' s THE HOUR..

I heard Bif in 05 when she opened for Billy Idol in London Canada. Bif just blew me away with her performance. Her well known tune I LOVE MYSELF TODAY is a great rocker. She also does an excellent job of covering Metallica's NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.

Bif is married to sports writer Ian Walker. They reside in Vancouver.

My thoughts and prayers are with Bif, Ian and their loved ones at this very difficult time

BON CHANCE LA CHANTEUSE EXTRAORDINAIRE...

Juliet

Bif Naked a.k.a. Beth Torbert, has been diagnosed with breast cancer. She revealed this personal story during a radio interview on The Strombo Show hosted by George S. of CBC' s THE HOUR..

I heard Bif in 05 when she opened for Billy Idol in London Canada. Bif just blew me away with her performance. Her well known tune I LOVE MYSELF TODAY is a great rocker. She also does an excellent job of covering Metallica's NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.

My thoughts and prayers are with Bif, Ian and their loved ones at this very difficult time

Juliet

Yeah very sad news. She's a strong girl and will come back from this. Fight on Bif

Yeah very sad news. She's a strong girl and will come back from this. Fight on Bif

I had no idea about that! I've seen Bif in concert a few times, and it was always a good show. She's a tough girl though... sending positive vibes her way!

Juliet

Sad to hear that :(

Oscar Peterson was 'best piano player in the world:' Stevie Wonder

Some 2,600 people at Toronto's Roy Thomson Hall enjoyed an array of musical treats Saturday afternoon at a free tribute concert to the late jazz legend Oscar Peterson.

Eager fans, lining up as early as 5 a.m. ET, snapped up about 2,000 seats made available to the public on a first-come, first-served basis.

peterson-cp-4090094.jpg

Oscar Peterson died on Dec. 23 at age 82. He was praised as a 'maharajah of the keyboard' by the Governor General.

(CBC)

Oscar Peterson: Simply the Best featured music stars including Herbie Hancock, Audrey Morris, Nancy Wilson, Gregory Charles and Measha Brueggergosman, there to honour Peterson, who died at age 82 on Dec. 23.

Host Valerie Pringle kicked off the event, praising Peterson as a citizen of the world who championed human rights and who "really did love and not hate."

She also noted Peterson's valiant fight to get back to his music after suffering a stroke in 1993.

Pringle said Peterson was a "humble man" whose achievements included eight Grammys and numerous honours, including an International Jazz Hall of Fame Award and being named a Companion of the Order of Canada, both in 1997.

The audience was then treated to a video retrospective of Peterson.

Follow Peterson's lead Governor General urges

Governor General Michaëlle Jean hailed Peterson as a "titan of music" for his passionate performances and charitable efforts to support disenfranchised youth.

"Touted as the 'maharajah of the keyboard,' Oscar Peterson has left an indelible mark on the cultural heritage of the entire world," Jean said.

"He had an incredible ability to wow musicians and audiences alike with his dazzling artistic ingenuity."

The Governor General then urged the audience to embrace Peterson's positive, colour-blind approach to life.

"The world should follow Oscar Peterson by saying 'yes' to humanity and saying 'no' to social exclusion and human apathy."

'I owe him everything:' Herbie Hancock

The first musicians onstage were four long-time musical collaborators of Peterson: Jeff Hamilton on drums, Ulf Wakenius on guitar, Dave Young on bass and Monty Alexander on piano.

U.S. musician Herbie Hancock, seen here in December, paid tribute to Peterson at Saturday's concert. Hancock said that after hearing Peterson on an album, he changed his career from engineer to musician.

(Matt Sayles/Associated Press)

The quartet went through a blistering five-minute set that blended several of Peterson's swinging compositions. Their set yielded an enthusiastic response from the crowded hall.

Next up was U.S. musician Herbie Hancock, 67, who reflected on his early days in jazz, when he was in college.

"When I started becoming interested in jazz ... I heard a record, it was Jazz at the Philharmonic.... I said to myself, 'Who is that piano player?' Well, that piano player changed my life," said Hancock, who said he followed Peterson's career from that point on. He also credited Peterson with changing his career path — from engineer to musician.

'Your beautiful character and music will never die.'

—Daughter Celine Peterson, 16"I owe him everything, and he's irreplaceable."

Hancock, who collaborated with Peterson during the 1980s, went on to play a long, meditative piece on the piano, something Peterson had composed for his daughter Celine, as the packed hall went hush and still.

Liked peanut butter: daughter

Celine, Peterson's youngest daughter, spoke afterward, saying her father was there in the hall "in spirit."

"I admired everything that he accomplished and everything he stood for. He was so proud to be Canadian and more so, that he lived ... in Mississauga. He was the person who told me never to let anyone judge me for what they saw."

Celine, 16, went on to say her father once put on a woman's dress, makeup and high heels to prove his point, causing a burst of laughter in the audience.

Celine recalled Peterson as the "best dad in the world," who liked to eat peanut butter for breakfast and was enthralled with his puppy dogs.

"Thank you dad ... for the endless adventures and the colourful nights," said Celine, who travelled to 19 countries with her dad. "Your beautiful character and music will never die."

Peterson embodied 'genius:' Quincy Jones

Quebec performer Gregory Charles came on and declared: "I could've been Oscar Peterson's son because my mom looooved Oscar."

Quebec performer Gregory Charles said Peterson was a role model for him.

(Geoff Howe/Canadian Press)

Charles, host of the CBC radio program, In the Key of Charles, said his mother was his first piano teacher and only listened to Peterson because "he swings!"

Charles, whose parents hail from Trinidad, said Peterson was a role model.

"My dad said 'look at what he did. So, if he can do that, you can do anything you want.'"

The actor and choir director is a chart-topping artist in Quebec whose autobiographical one-man show, Noir et blanc (Black and White) was a hit, along with the subsequent CD of the show's music.

Stevie Wonder, who could not be at the event, sent a video, saying he wished he had a chance to record an album with Peterson.

"I am truly thankful to God that I was able to meet someone I had admired all my life," said Wonder who called Peterson the "world's greatest pianist."

'We'd all be lucky to have 10 per cent of what Oscar was as a human being.'

—Quincy Jones"[Oscar] played the piano so well you could hear the music sing and dance … I, along with millions and millions of people, will love you forever."

The event was lifted by the appearance of jazz impresario and musician Quincy Jones, who recalled being at Massey Hall with Charlie Parker as a 19-year-old trumpeter.

"Parker used to say 'just play it, don't say it,'" said Jones, as the audience chuckled.

Jones compared Peterson's skill to "playing gun powder with sugar."

He said Peterson embodied genius because "genius involves sensation, feeling, believing, attachment and knowledge."

Jones, 74, said he was blessed to have had the love of Peterson and added that he also loved Toronto — "this is a fantastic city" — and its history of welcoming jazz musicians.

"We'd all be lucky to have 10 per cent of what Oscar was as a human being."

The tribute concluded with a performance of Peterson's Hymn to Freedom featuring Measha Brueggergosman and backed by the Faith Chorale, the Nathanial Dett Chorale and the University of Toronto Gospel Choir, all directed by pianist and CBC Radio host Andrew Craig.

Saturday's two-hour tribute show was broadcast live starting at 4:05 p.m. ET on CBC Radio One and Sirius 137.

The broadcast will be repeated at 8:05 p.m. ET on CBC Radio Two and Radio-Canada's Espace Musique channel.

Condolences to all who are affected by the loss of basketball players and a female teacher over the weekend in Bathurst, New Brunswick due to a horrific van crash...

Juliet

Terrible tragedy Too many of these accidents have happend over the years