Oh CANADA!

ZoSoDragon

Every society has its crazies. I just with they wouldn't drag other people into whatever delusional fantasies they're acting out.

Oh. I don't have enough information to say the person responsible for murdering the soldier was acting out a delusional fantasy.

Is that the defense?

It is the 2nd time in 3 days that Canadian soldiers are being targeted within our country, and they just announced he converted recently.

I am so sorry for your country's loss...I remember shortly after the Boston bombings thinking 'why'...Boston is a town of college students for cripe sakes!!! Hardly a hotbed for terrorism...and the marathon??!!

Can't help but think the same of Ottawa, and Canada as a whole for that matter...

Oh. I don't have enough information to say the person responsible for murdering the soldier was acting out a delusional fantasy.

Is that the defense?

I wasn't using the legal definition of crazy or delusion. I'm referring to the idea that the world would be hunky dory if everyone adopted the legal system and social mores of the 7th century Arabian Peninsula. That legal system and social mores didn't prevent the Arabian Peninsula from tearing itself apart following Muhammad's death so the idea that they are the answer to the contemporary world's ills is ludicrous. IMO, the people who embrace this way of thinking aren't "delusional" in the clinical sense but they are fantasists. They cling to their warped interpretation of "jihad" in the same way that Linus clings to his belief in The Great Pumpkin.

Edited by Disco Duck

I wasn't using the legal definition of crazy or delusion. I'm referring to the idea that the world would be hunky dory if everyone adopted the legal system and social mores of the 7th century Arabian Peninsula. That legal system and social mores didn't prevent the Arabian Peninsula from tearing itself apart following Muhammad's death so the idea that they are the answer to the contemporary world's ills is ludicrous. IMO, the people who embrace this way of thinking aren't "delusional" in the clinical sense but they are fantasists. They cling to their warped interpretation of "jihad" in the same way that Linus clings to his belief in The Great Pumpkin.

Gotcha

Listening to the news out of Ottawa right now...

Canada? Why??

Easy: these brainwashed kids who sympathize with ISIS are going after Canada's military here at home because we sent troops into Iraq to go after ISIS. That's the short version, mind ya. Christ, this guy today actually targeted the Canadian Houses Of Parliament...that's about as symbolic as you can get, folks.

Look, I've been saying this for over ten fucking years now: back in 2003 when the U.S. and Britain started their arguably illegal war against Iraq, just about every country who sided with them and sent troops suffered some kind of 'terror' attack. Examples being the Madrid subway bombing (Spain), the Bali bombings (Australia; it was a resort frequented by Aussies that was targeted) and of course the 7/7 bombings in London. Guaranteed if Canada had sent troops into Iraq in 2003 we would have suffered some kind of an attack too. Fortunately Jean Chretien, our Prime Minister at the time, actually had the balls to tell Bush and Blair, in essence, "Fuck you...fight yer own battles."

Well guess what? We now have a Neo-Con fundamentalist Christian as PM (Stephen Harper), he sided with the U.S. and sent troops (jets, to be specific) to Iraq to go after ISIS. And now the chickens are coming home to roost here in Canada...I'm just waiting for some fuckin' radicalized idiot to crash a goddamn plane into the CN Tower in Toronto or something...

Edited by Nutrocker

Respectfully, Nutrocker, I don't think the chickens-coming-home-to-roost explanation works here. If Canada was't sending forces to the Middle East, these "self-radicalized" jihadists would no doubt find some other reason to launch their attacks - Canadian support for Israel; Canadian social and economic ties to the US; Canadian acceptance of gay rights; Canadian acceptance of women's equality... What else shouldn't we do to antagonize isolated, violent Muslim fanatics? Even if you personally disagree with the Canadian mission against ISIL, it was debated and approved by democratically elected Canadian legislators. How much of our current political system would you give up to feel confident that no outsider might be moved against it?

And while I'm no big fan of Prime Minister Stephen Harper, I'd hardly characterize him as neo-con fundamentalist Christian. Certainly in the US he'd be considered a moderate Democrat. If he imposed mandatory church attendance for all citizens, bans on abortion and gay marriage, and brought back public executions, I might see your point, but the conservative/theocrat/redneck/right-wing epithet is thrown around a little too easily these days.

By the way, I'm here in the nation's capital, and my workplace experienced a brief lockdown yesterday.

post-12775-0-60427300-1414063304.jpg

Easy: these brainwashed kids who sympathize with ISIS are going after Canada's military here at home because we sent troops into Iraq to go after ISIS. That's the short version, mind ya. Christ, this guy today actually targeted the Canadian Houses Of Parliament...that's about as symbolic as you can get, folks.

Look, I've been saying this for over ten fucking years now: back in 2003 when the U.S. and Britain started their arguably illegal war against Iraq, just about every country who sided with them and sent troops suffered some kind of 'terror' attack. Examples being the Madrid subway bombing (Spain), the Bali bombings (Australia; it was a resort frequented by Aussies that was targeted) and of course the 7/7 bombings in London. Guaranteed if Canada had sent troops into Iraq in 2003 we would have suffered some kind of an attack too. Fortunately Jean Chretien, our Prime Minister at the time, actually had the balls to tell Bush and Blair, in essence, "Fuck you...fight yer own battles."

Well guess what? We now have a Neo-Con fundamentalist Christian as PM (Stephen Harper), he sided with the U.S. and sent troops (jets, to be specific) to Iraq to go after ISIS. And now the chickens are coming home to roost here in Canada...I'm just waiting for some fuckin' radicalized idiot to crash a goddamn plane into the CN Tower in Toronto or something...

2 attacks in 3 days here in Canada: 2 months ago authorities were able to stop an attack on Via Rail and 4 years ago they stopped the Toronto 18, there is a common thread that ties all of the cases together, Iraq has nothing to do with it - Unfortunately it’s unpopular to point out what the common thread is…

Edited by Charles J. White

^ GeorgeC -- good post.

Corporal Nathan Cirillo, 24:

War Memorial victim ID'd as Hamilton corporal, dog lover and outdoorsman

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/war-memorial-victim-idd-hamilton-corporal-dog-lover-055157608.html

9febbe60-5a2e-11e4-9fab-27c8bcedd348_106

68d39970-5af6-11e4-90c3-9113a2f235d6_072

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/photos/cpl-nathan-cirillo-honoured-with-flowers-makeshift-memorials-slideshow/cirillo-memorial-20141023-photo-1414097533052.html

aafcf610-5ab6-11e4-8395-25621d5cc107_Bru

Bruce MacKinnon http://www.artizans.com/browse.htm?artist=2

Sergeant-at-Arms, Kevin Vickers, honoured

Edited by Patrycja

So, here's an unexpected development that's taken a turn for the weird. Jian Ghomeshi, host of CBC's "Q" program has been swiftly fired for what CBC termed 'unbecoming conduct of a broadcaster." Pretty ambiguous and leaves A LOT to the reader's imagination, right? Jian promptly responded by suing the CBC to get his job back and oh $50M :o

Turns out a jilted lover, let's call her Fury, (yes as in 'hell hath no...') has allegedly been on a defamation campaign claiming that their kinky sex was not entirely consensual, which Jian vehemently denies (that it wasn't consensual, not that it wasn't kinky). Also turns out that Jian had notified the CBC of this smear campaign, and provided proof that his encounters with the ex-gf were, in fact, ok'd by both parties, BUT CBC has nevertheless chosen to part ways with Jian over his appetites in the bedroom. It'll be interesting to see what transpires as this strange story unfolds.

Read the he said/ she said/ giant corporation said here: https://ca.celebrity.yahoo.com/news/canadian-press-newsalert-cbc-parts-ways-ghomeshi-180250964.html. If any illegal goings on actually did occur, then I hope that the right judgement is meted out. If, however, this is just a case of public scrutiny over private affairs, then CBC should answer for it; after all, if they lose the suit, we pay for it.

Just want to say that I think Jian was a great host and I've enjoyed watching many "Q" broadcasts, including, of course, those with Robert Plant. Many people point to Jian's uncomfortable confrontation with Billy Bob Thornton as a highlight, but my favourite is this interview with Leonard Cohen:

Edited by Patrycja

Well it appears things have begun to unfold sooner than expected. There are now four other women accusing Jian of unwanted, inappropriate, or violent conduct though they never filed charges, citing fear.

The Star had several detailed interviews with each of the three women, who said they experienced violence from Ghomeshi without consent, and with the former CBC employee, who complained of verbal and physical harassment in the workplace.

Uh oooooh...

Jian explains it was all always consensual though the accounts of the women and his seem to have blurred lines about where consent started and for what/to what extent.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/10/26/cbc_fires_jian_ghomeshi_over_sex_allegations.html#

• 2 weeks later...

Did I say four women? Make that nine, spanning 12 or so years, and the pattern of behaviour is frighteningly consistent throughout. Still, no charges, so must add the obligatory 'allegedly' assaulted women. p.s. If any one of the allegations against Jian Ghomeshi are true, I hope he is justly punished. Disturbing and inexcusable.

Here is the ever eloquent Rex Murphy on the scandal:

Check out some of his other commentaries, if you will. You may not always agree, but he will make you think.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

me and mrs gf wish we could move there...

Setting aside the fact that I live in the Colony - it really is a great place to live. Has some great larger cities, and some excellent wilderness with amazing mountains, oceans, and wonderful places to drive, and if you live in Halifax, Vancouver, and Calgary you can get some mild winter weather.

I would think so, I'm open to working anywhere in my case, I'm at an age where the idea of moving elsewhere appeals to me. Ontario, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and British Columbia all seem to have a lot of action as does parts of Quebec.

yes us to put in my field of employment is sheet metal work...

• 2 weeks later...