Oh CANADA!

ZoSoDragon

Hi Ally:

I've seen pics on the CBC, CTV and Weather network about your province.....keep warm....

I'm hoping all Canadians from coast to coast who are affected by this terrible cold snap will be o.k. soon...power back on etc etc

Juliet xo

We've got nothing to complain about out here. We just can't drive etc Seeing all the reports re record cold temps that are happening all over the country puts things in perspective. As you say, let's hope everyone is doing OK

Sorry Joelman, I should have known it wouldn't be that easy :( Things in life rarely are.........

I buy into as few things as possible in dealing with beauracracies....cause when I DO particpate, I'm screwed. :(

I've never lived a life where I have to deal with it often. I refuse to actually. I miss out on some stuff, because the hassle's to me aren't worth it.

I'll just continue to be a simpleton, low profile and off the radar screen.

Left Coast Blues .... too much of the white stuff for me, but our normal supply of liquid sunshine is on the way.

Left Coast Blues....and the white stuff...I interpreted this to mean you did have something to complain about....Glad to know it hasn't got ya down....

Life where I live sucks...snow on the way tonight....if it lasts into the weekend..you'll hear me scream all the way out to Vancouver Island...and they'll hear me in P.E.I. to...

Juliet

PS I'll practice now :o

Left Coast Blues....and the white stuff...I interpreted this to mean you did have something to complain about....Glad to know it hasn't got ya down....

Life where I live sucks...snow on the way tonight....if it lasts into the weekend..you'll hear me scream all the way out to Vancouver Island...and they'll hear me in P.E.I. to...

Juliet

PS I'll practice now :o

Cheers Juliet, :)

No the weather seems mild compared to what your getting, and I hope ,your not getting too down about it...but I'll be listening for that scream :D:D Springs gotta be around the corner... somewhere B)

Celine tops Juno nominations

By Cassandra Szklarski, THE CANADIAN PRESS

dion_celine256a.jpg

Celine Dion nabs a leading 6 Juno nominations. (CP file photo)

TORONTO - Celine Dion, who marked a change in musical direction with her latest disc "Taking Chances," received a leading six Juno Award nominations Tuesday.

The Quebec diva, who is known for belting out power ballads but has recently experimented with a harder-edged sound, will compete against herself in the album of the year category.

"Taking Chances" is up for the coveted prize, as is the singer's French-language album, "D'elles."

Following closely behind Dion with five Juno nods apiece are: Toronto-based artist Feist, Vancouver crooner Michael Buble, and Napanee, Ont.,-raised singer Avril Lavigne.

All three are up for album of the year: Lavigne for "The Best Damn Thing," Feist for "The Reminder," and Michael Buble for "Call me Irresponsible."

The Juno Awards, which honour the best in Canadian music, will be handed out April 6 at Calgary's Saddledome.

Montreal's Arcade Fire, Burlington, Ont., band Finger Eleven and perennial favourite Blue Rodeo received three Juno nods each.

The Juno Awards have enjoyed renewed popularity ever since organizers decided to move the show from city to city each year.

Performers at this year's bash will include Lavigne, opera star Measha Brueggergosman, Anne Murray and Feist.

Feist is also up for several honours at this weekend's Grammy Awards in Los Angeles.

Hosting the Juno festivities will be comedian Russell Peters. At the awards, Canadian rockers Triumph will be inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame.

http://www.junoawards.ca/

Why is it that someone from France can go to Germany like it's just another American County, but if I go to Canada I have to provide a birth certificate, a passport, a blood sample...etc ? Maybe if the U.S. and Canada go to war and kill thousands of each other's citizens, we could open our borders in a similar fashion ?

Just a stupid crazy thought.

Hello:

Pagemeister...thanks for the info on The Junos....

This Sunday the Grammy Awards will be on...Feist has been nominated for four..I find her music a bit trite now....I really don't like The Reminder...I thought there would be more upbeat tunes...

Juliet

Edited by Juliet

When an American crosses the border here (Detroit/Windsor), we have no problems entering Canada. It's on the way back into the U.S. that is the problem. This is happening when Canadians are starting to come over in droves to buy American goods because of the exchange rate. I don't think any U.S. merchants are interested in losing that extra business.

There are discussions going on to have a pedestrian cable car installed across the river. If you don't bring your car, there are obviously less security concerns. This works pretty well at Niagara Falls, and I think it would be self-supporting. Something has to be done.

American's HATE Canadians,I'm Irish,my guitar teacher moved to Canada last year,he was great,if you know a Scott McCarthy i'd appreciate if you could get back to me!

P.S. This is the 200th post!

Hi Bomber:

I had a computer teacher who was from Ireland. He taught in the Business Department at Wilfird Laurier University in Waterloo Ontario.

The course was many years ago. I was considering pursuing a business degree so I tried a course to see if it was for me...He was a good eacher.. I forget his name.. I never did pursue the business path..not for me..to be counting beans or selling things...

Juliet :)

Smells like an election this Spring after all the c#@@* on the news stations today..

Will the non-confidence vote be on.....

1. Role in Afghanistan

2.The budget

3. The anti-crime bill

4. Steven Harper's hair style

5. ALL OF THE ABOVE

Hey Juliet, do you think Harper wears mascara?

Ha.....Ha....Ha....

I'll have to check that out next time I watch him either "in the house" or being interviewed...

It may take awhile 'cause I'm trying to decrease my exposure to politicians at this time..too much b** s**@* is not good for my karma and inner peace..

Juliet

Ha.....Ha....Ha....

I'll have to check that out next time I watch him either "in the house" or being interviewed...

It may take awhile 'cause I'm trying to decrease my exposure to politicians at this time..too much b** s**@* is not good for my karma and inner peace..

Juliet

Nor my karma... Babs does have a point though :o

Hey Canada! Buffalo Sabres 5 Ottawa Senetors 1. Look out!! :P

Good result coming on the heals of the Zednik incident. It must have stirred some awful memories of ..Clint Malarchuk. Buffalo fans have witnessed some terrible moments.

By the way ,I have a soft spot for the Sabres as we are expansion cousins :)

Hi Bomber:

I had a computer teacher who was from Ireland. He taught in the Business Department at Wilfird Laurier University in Waterloo Ontario.

The course was many years ago. I was considering pursuing a business degree so I tried a course to see if it was for me...He was a good eacher.. I forget his name.. I never did pursue the business path..not for me..to be counting beans or selling things...

Juliet :)

Words of wisdom Juliet,words of wisdom.

Here's an email my Canadian friend sent me:

NEW rules for entering Alberta:

1. Bring your own house.

2. If going to the Oil Sands, bring your own house, school and hospital.

3. If going to Edmonton, wear your flak jacket. This is the murder capital of Canada.

4. If driving to Edmonton, it is also the auto theft centre of Canada.

5. If you are bringing drugs, head to Fort McMurray, the drug capital of Canada.

6. If you are looking for work, look no further. Minimum wage is $15.60/hour.

7. If you work downtown, parking costs $15.00/hour.

8. If you are able to buy a house in Edmonton, or Calgary, why not spend the money on a 15 year holiday.

9. If you drive a Hummer, look out. We have the highest gas prices in Canada. The Alberta Advantage.

10. In Edmonton we have 5 hospitals. 10 years ago we had 7. Don't come here sick.

11. In Calgary the population has exploded. The last road was paved 12 years ago. Calgary is a no parking zone.

THE NEW RULES FOR DRIVING IN ALBERTA:

1. You must first learn to pronounce the city name, it is: 'CAL-GREE' and 'ED-MIN-TIN'.

2. The morning rush hour is from 5:00 am to noon. The evening rush hour is from noon to 8:00 PM. Friday's rush hour starts on Thursday morning.

3. The minimum acceptable speed on most freeways is 130 kph. On Deerfoot & Whitemud, you are expected to match the speed of the airplanes coming in for a landing at the airport. Anything less is considered 'Wussy'.

4. Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. We now have our own version of traffic rules. For example, cars/trucks with the loudest muffler go first at a four-way stop; the trucks with the biggest tires go second. However, in the Hamptons, SUV-driving, cell phone-talking moms ALWAYS have the right of way.

5. If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will be rear ended, cussed out, and possibly shot.

6. Never honk at anyone. Ever. Seriously. It's another offense that can get you shot.

7. Road construction is permanent and continuous. Detour barrels are moved around during the middle of the night to make the next day's driving a bit more exciting, but nothing ever gets finished, and more construction starts everyday.

8. Watch carefully for road hazards such as drunks, skunks, dogs, cats, deer, barrels, cones, cows, horses, cats, mattresses, shredded tires, garbage, squirrels, rabbits, crows, and coyotes feeding on any of these items.

9. Deerfoot, QEII, Hwy 2, Calgary Trail, and Gateway Blvd are the same road.

10. If someone actually has their turn signal on, wave them to the shoulder immediately to let them know it has been 'accidentally activated.'

11. If you are in the left lane and only driving 110 in a 80-90 kph zone, you are considered a road hazard and will be 'flipped off' accordingly. If you return the flip, you'll be shot.

12. For winter driving, it is advisable to wear your parka, toque, fur lined mittens and mukluks. Make sure you have a shovel, food, candle and blankets in the vehicle, as snow removal from the city streets is virtually non-existent until the spring thaw

Here's an email my Canadian friend sent me:

:D As a west coast Vancouverite, all I can do is concur. No offence Alberta ... but all of the above is true. Come to think about it.... it's even worse in Vancouver :blink::D