Oh CANADA!

ZoSoDragon

Hi:

The JUNOS will be rebroadcast on Thursday @ 8 on MUCH MORE MUSIC...

I didn't see all of the show on Sunday...I saw clips next day on the news...it was a great show from most reviews. Some guy from a Toronto radio station had complaints about Sarah Brightman performing with Ann Murray...he also didn't like Russell Peters and Michael Buble's performance but Avril's was o.k. Where do they find reviewers like that??

Juliet

PS I remember when THE JUNOS show was just o..k.....it has come along way,eh??

PSS I also remember when k.d. lang showed up in a wedding dress..that was a good performance ...

Edited by Juliet

April 10, 2008

'Corner Gas' calling it quits :(

By Lee-Anne Goodman, THE CANADIAN PRESS

TORONTO - Brent Butt says the decision to pull the plug on his wildly popular and successful "Corner Gas" has left him feeling like something of a reluctant triggerman.

"I feel like the kid at the end of 'Old Yeller,"' Butt said Thursday after making a surprise announcement that the show, about the hijinks at a small-town Prairie gas station, would end its run at the end of its upcoming sixth season.

For those who have never had the dubious pleasure of taking in "Old Yeller" and watched in misery as the beloved family dog has to be shot dead at the end of the film because of rabies, the point is this: the decision was an excruciating one for Butt.

But in an interview from Vancouver, Butt said he wanted to end "Corner Gas," the most successful Canadian sitcom ever made, on a high note, similar to the way "Seinfeld" ended in 1998 at the top of its game.

"I couldn't stand it if 'Corner Gas' had got to a place where it started getting kicked or mocked or long in the tooth and stuck around too long; I couldn't bear to watch that happen to it," he said.

"Comedy is nothing if not timely. There's that moment around the 45-minute mark, where you know you could go an hour. But if you leave now, it's right, and everybody has a great time ... and around the one-hour mark, people start looking for their coats. And 'Corner Gas' is too special of a thing for people to start looking for their coats."

He acknowledges that some cast members wanted the show to keep going. The Saskatchewan-born Butt not only created but stars in the show, along with Eric Peterson and Gabrielle Miller.

"Some of them made that plain, but everybody seems to understand; it's one of those kind of sad but celebratory things," he said.

The final 19-episode season of "Corner Gas" begins shooting next month in Saskatchewan, with the series finale airing some time in the spring of 2009.

The show has been a ratings juggernaut for CTV for years, snagging numerous Gemini awards along the way. It also airs in syndication in countries around the world, including Finland, Australia and the United States. On CTV, it outperforms shows like "Heroes" and "Prison Break."

CTV's Susanne Boyce lauded the show.

"This is not goodbye, it's see you later," she said in a statement. "Brent and his team have accomplished something that has never been achieved before. They said it couldn't be done, but 'Corner Gas' did it anyway. The series has paved the way for other Canadian productions by proving that if you make great TV, Canadians will watch."

Throughout its run, a number of notable Canadians made appearances in the fictional town of Dog River, Sask., including prime ministers Paul Martin and Stephen Harper.

Butt said having the politicians on set was fascinating.

"I was surprised by Harper's comedic delivery - he had really good timing, he surprised me. I thought he'd be stiff and just go through the motions," Butt recalled. "And the thing that struck me about Paul Martin was how genuinely curious he was about every aspect of the show."

Butt's favourite episode of all, however, was the so-called hockey episode, entitled "Face Off."

"It was one of the first ensemble shows and everyone really shone on that show," he said. "It always jumps out in my mind and it came together really well and it's really fun to watch."

For now, Butt says he wants to continue to make good television - he's already developing a new show for CTV - although he has aspirations of a movie or even a play at some point in the future.

"I was sat in front of a TV when I was an infant and that's where I've been ever since - I love TV," he said.

But he acknowledged "Corner Gas" was one of the most surprising successes of his life.

"I really thought 'Corner Gas' was going to be just a summer job. My goal was really to make a show that I truly felt was good and funny, and you don't really expect anyone to watch ... so it all took me completely by surprise."

-

'Corner Gas' chronology

June 2003 Production begins on Season 1 of "Corner Gas."

Jan. 22, 2004 - More than a million viewers tune into the series premiere.

Oct. 4, 2004 - "Corner Gas" is nominated for an International Emmy Award.

Oct. 5, 2004 - More than 1.5 million viewers tune into Season 2 premiere.

Oct. 1, 2005 - Finland becomes the first of 26 countries around the world to purchase the show for broadcast outside of Canada.

Oct. 31, 2005 - Prime Minister Paul Martin makes cameo appearance on "Corner Gas," attracting a record audience of 2.2 million viewers. Prime Minister Stephen Harper, Gov. Gen. Adrienne Clarkson, Darryl Sittler and Ben Mulroney, among many other notable Canadians, also make appearances in later episodes.

Nov. 19, 2005 - "Corner Gas" wins two Gemini Awards.

Dec. 12, 2005 - "Merry Gasmas," a "Corner Gas" holiday special, attracts record-setting audience of 2.43 million viewers.

Nov. 4, 2006 - "Tales from Dog River: The Complete Corner Gas Guide" is released and becomes a bestselling book across Canada.

Nov. 4, 2006 - "Corner Gas" wins its second Gemini Award for best comedy series.

Nov. 24, 2006 - "Corner Gas" secures U.S. broadcast deal with Superstation WGN.

Sept. 17, 2007 - "Corner Gas" premieres on Superstation WGN in the U.S.

Oct. 28, 2007 - "Corner Gas" takes home three Gemini Awards including its third for best comedy series.

April 10, 2008 - Brent Butt announces that "Corner Gas" will end at the conclusion of Season 6 in 2009.

Any of you Fans of Trooper . Saw them with ZZ Top in New Orleans 1975 Great Band.

TRIUMPH3.jpg

I believe Triumph is from Cannada

I wouldn't call myself a fan, but those boy's have been kicking around Vancouver since the early 70's.

They were a local club act for years under the name " Apple Jack " I believe they picked up that name up from a cheap gallon of porch climber wine that used to litter the floors of many a concert venue in this town. They were a great cover band and went on to have a few hit's as " Trooper "

They still play around town now and then but I'm not aware if they do any touring.

April 10, 2008

'Corner Gas' calling it quits :(

By Lee-Anne Goodman, THE CANADIAN PRESS

TORONTO - Brent Butt says the decision to pull the plug on his wildly popular and successful "Corner Gas" has left him feeling like something of a reluctant triggerman.

"I feel like the kid at the end of 'Old Yeller,"' Butt said Thursday after making a surprise announcement that the show, about the hijinks at a small-town Prairie gas station, would end its run at the end of its upcoming sixth season.

For those who have never had the dubious pleasure of taking in "Old Yeller" and watched in misery as the beloved family dog has to be shot dead at the end of the film because of rabies, the point is this: the decision was an excruciating one for Butt.

But in an interview from Vancouver, Butt said he wanted to end "Corner Gas," the most successful Canadian sitcom ever made, on a high note, similar to the way "Seinfeld" ended in 1998 at the top of its game.

"I couldn't stand it if 'Corner Gas' had got to a place where it started getting kicked or mocked or long in the tooth and stuck around too long; I couldn't bear to watch that happen to it," he said.

"Comedy is nothing if not timely. There's that moment around the 45-minute mark, where you know you could go an hour. But if you leave now, it's right, and everybody has a great time ... and around the one-hour mark, people start looking for their coats. And 'Corner Gas' is too special of a thing for people to start looking for their coats."

He acknowledges that some cast members wanted the show to keep going. The Saskatchewan-born Butt not only created but stars in the show, along with Eric Peterson and Gabrielle Miller.

"Some of them made that plain, but everybody seems to understand; it's one of those kind of sad but celebratory things," he said.

The final 19-episode season of "Corner Gas" begins shooting next month in Saskatchewan, with the series finale airing some time in the spring of 2009.

The show has been a ratings juggernaut for CTV for years, snagging numerous Gemini awards along the way. It also airs in syndication in countries around the world, including Finland, Australia and the United States. On CTV, it outperforms shows like "Heroes" and "Prison Break."

CTV's Susanne Boyce lauded the show.

"This is not goodbye, it's see you later," she said in a statement. "Brent and his team have accomplished something that has never been achieved before. They said it couldn't be done, but 'Corner Gas' did it anyway. The series has paved the way for other Canadian productions by proving that if you make great TV, Canadians will watch."

Throughout its run, a number of notable Canadians made appearances in the fictional town of Dog River, Sask., including prime ministers Paul Martin and Stephen Harper.

Butt said having the politicians on set was fascinating.

"I was surprised by Harper's comedic delivery - he had really good timing, he surprised me. I thought he'd be stiff and just go through the motions," Butt recalled. "And the thing that struck me about Paul Martin was how genuinely curious he was about every aspect of the show."

Butt's favourite episode of all, however, was the so-called hockey episode, entitled "Face Off."

"It was one of the first ensemble shows and everyone really shone on that show," he said. "It always jumps out in my mind and it came together really well and it's really fun to watch."

For now, Butt says he wants to continue to make good television - he's already developing a new show for CTV - although he has aspirations of a movie or even a play at some point in the future.

"I was sat in front of a TV when I was an infant and that's where I've been ever since - I love TV," he said.

But he acknowledged "Corner Gas" was one of the most surprising successes of his life.

"I really thought 'Corner Gas' was going to be just a summer job. My goal was really to make a show that I truly felt was good and funny, and you don't really expect anyone to watch ... so it all took me completely by surprise."

-

'Corner Gas' chronology

June 2003 Production begins on Season 1 of "Corner Gas."

Jan. 22, 2004 - More than a million viewers tune into the series premiere.

Oct. 4, 2004 - "Corner Gas" is nominated for an International Emmy Award.

Oct. 5, 2004 - More than 1.5 million viewers tune into Season 2 premiere.

Oct. 1, 2005 - Finland becomes the first of 26 countries around the world to purchase the show for broadcast outside of Canada.

Oct. 31, 2005 - Prime Minister Paul Martin makes cameo appearance on "Corner Gas," attracting a record audience of 2.2 million viewers. Prime Minister Stephen Harper, Gov. Gen. Adrienne Clarkson, Darryl Sittler and Ben Mulroney, among many other notable Canadians, also make appearances in later episodes.

Nov. 19, 2005 - "Corner Gas" wins two Gemini Awards.

Dec. 12, 2005 - "Merry Gasmas," a "Corner Gas" holiday special, attracts record-setting audience of 2.43 million viewers.

Nov. 4, 2006 - "Tales from Dog River: The Complete Corner Gas Guide" is released and becomes a bestselling book across Canada.

Nov. 4, 2006 - "Corner Gas" wins its second Gemini Award for best comedy series.

Nov. 24, 2006 - "Corner Gas" secures U.S. broadcast deal with Superstation WGN.

Sept. 17, 2007 - "Corner Gas" premieres on Superstation WGN in the U.S.

Oct. 28, 2007 - "Corner Gas" takes home three Gemini Awards including its third for best comedy series.

April 10, 2008 - Brent Butt announces that "Corner Gas" will end at the conclusion of Season 6 in 2009.

other than SCTV i have never been a fan of Canadian tv shows. And i don't know anyone who watched Corner gas. Don't undertand the appeal of the show.

I wouldn't call myself a fan, but those boy's have been kicking around Vancouver since the early 70's.

They were a local club act for years under the name " Apple Jack " I believe they picked up that name up from a cheap gallon of porch climber wine that used to litter the floors of many a concert venue in this town. They were a great cover band and went on to have a few hit's as " Trooper "

They still play around town now and then but I'm not aware if they do any touring.

They had one lp I liked quite a bit called Two for the Show I believe and were pretty good Live saw them open for ZZ Top in New Orleans 1975

They had one lp I liked quite a bit called Two for the Show I believe and were pretty good Live saw them open for ZZ Top in New Orleans 1975

They are undertaking a Canadian Tour and will be playing the Red Robinson Theatre May 10. Looks like they are booked through out Canada till the end of Sept. No mention at the moment of other North American dates

They are undertaking a Canadian Tour and will be playing the Red Robinson Theatre May 10. Looks like they are booked through out Canada till the end of Sept. No mention at the moment of other North American dates

Thanks for the info I hope they come a little closer to louisiana .Its a long drive to Cannada

Hey Ally its my annivesary My 500th Post . I thank you.

Edited by alwizard03

Damn I remember seeing Trooper I just couldn't remember which concert I had seen them at.

Thanks for the memory jog Al. That ZZ Top show at city park stadium was great. :D

Thanks for the info I hope they come a little closer to louisiana .Its a long drive to Cannada

Hey Ally its my annivesary My 500th Post . I thank you.

Glad to be of service :)

Damn I remember seeing Trooper I just couldn't remember which concert I had seen them at.

Thanks for the memory jog Al. That ZZ Top show at city park stadium was great. :D

Also had Aerosmith,Fleetwood Mac,J Boy Adams,and Jeff Beck played a few songs and left said His Guitar was getting wet. Billy Gibbons was miffed He came out and said My guitar is getting wet but something to the effect of we came to play and we are playing rain or shine.

ZZTOP75.jpg

Edited by alwizard03

Also had Aerosmith,Fleetwood Mac,J Boy Adams,and Jeff Beck played a few songs and left said His Guitar was getting wet. Billy Gibbons was miffed He came out and said My guitar is getting wet but something to the effect of we came to play and we are playing rain or shine.

They do have an official site that's pretty interesting. For fan's of Trooper, they still kick it out pretty good

Here's a silly email my good friend from Moosejaw, SK sent me:

25 Signs Showing You Might Be Canadian

1. You're not offended by the term 'HOMO MILK'.

2. You understand the phrase 'Could you pass me a serviette, I just dropped my poutine, on the chesterfield.'

3. You eat chocolate bars, not candy bars.

4. You drink Pop, not Soda.

5. You know that a Mickey and 24's mean, 'party at the camp, eh!!!'

6. You don't care about the fuss with Cuba. It's a cheap place to go for your holidays, with good cigars.

7. You know that a pike is a type of fish, not part of a highway.

8. You drive on a highway, not a freeway.

9. You have Canadian Tire money in your kitchen drawers.

10. You know that Casey and Finnegan were not part of a Celtic musical group.

11. You get excited whenever an American television show mentions Canada.

12. You brag to Americans that; Shania Twain, Jim Carrey, Celine Dion & Mike Myers are Canadians.

13. You know that the C.E.O. of American Airlines is a Canadian!

14. You know what a toque is.

15. You design your Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.

16. You know that the last letter of the English alphabet is always pronounced 'Zed'.

17. Your local newspaper covers the national news on 2 pages, but requires 6 pages for hockey.

18. You know that the four seasons mean: almost winter, winter, still winter, and road work.

19. You know that when it's 25 degrees outside, it's a warm day.

20. You understand the Labatt Blue commercials.

21. You know how to pronounce and spell 'Saskatchewan'.

22. You perk up when you hear the theme song from 'Hockey Night in Canada'.

23. You are in grade 12, not the 12th grade.

24. 'Eh?' is a very important part of your vocabulary, and is more polite than, 'Huh?'

25. You actually understand these jokes, and forward them to all of your Canadian friends!

(Then you send them to your American friends just to confuse them!)

O yes and if you are wondering where the expression 'eh' originates, it's simple

spell Canada :

C eh N eh D eh

see no secret to it EH

I"ve visited Montreal and stayed a few nights in Ottowa in cabins at the Boy's Club camp.

If I ever hit the lotto I would buy a summer home there or at least Vermont or

New Hampshire.It was in June I believe, the mornings were crisp and the days mild and unusally dry and comfortable.

Beautiful land up there.