Oh CANADA!

ZoSoDragon

In response to "Jaws"

The reason perhaps that we Canadians are so tough when it comes to crossing the border is because of all the 9/11 and terrorist stuff. It was reported a lot of them entered through Canda and then a lot of Americans, such as yourself, used the "blame Canada" defense. Basically, when we're not strict enough you complain and when we're too strict you also complain.

Crossing the border can be a pain in the ass. I've done it on numerous occasions and my experiences with the American side weren't that great either. It's part of the process.

Very good points.

In response to "Jaws"

The reason perhaps that we Canadians are so tough when it comes to crossing the border is because of all the 9/11 and terrorist stuff. It was reported a lot of them entered through Canada and then a lot of Americans, such as yourself, used the "blame Canada" defense. Basically, when we're not strict enough you complain and when we're too strict you also complain.

Crossing the border can be a pain in the ass. I've done it on numerous occasions and my experiences with the American side weren't that great either. It's part of the process.

I don't think it's that. The Border people just have bad attitudes. Like they are better than you. They are on a power trip.

I have found Canada Day to be overrated. Ya watch a bunch of fireworks and that's it. Me and some buddies and their wives and girlfriends spent Canada Day down at harbourfront centre. I didn't like being the only guy in our group without a girlfriend there , and the live entertainment was so-so. The only real good thing about it was the food. And i threw some bread to the ducks. They wrapped up the day with the usual fireworks. Ho Hum.

Edited by spats

I have found Canada Day to be overrated. Ya watch a bunch of fireworks and that's it. Me and some buddies and their wives and girlfriends spent Canada Day down at harbourfront centre. I didn't like being the only guy without a girlfriend there , and the live entertainment was so-so. The only real good thing about it was the food. And i through some bread to the ducks. They wrapped up the day with the usual fireworks. Ho Hum.

You're quite depressing spats.We had a great Canada day.My wife and I rented canoes then had a BBq with some family and friends.A bit hung over for work in the morning but still had a smile on my face.

You're quite depressing spats.We had a great Canada day.My wife and I rented canoes then had a BBq with some family and friends.A bit hung over for work in the morning but still had a smile on my face.

Glad you had a great time. I just think it's overrated. I am not a Rah, Rah, Canada is great, rah, rah person. I am just glad for the day off. I guess I expect too much or something. And i don't like being the odd guy out either. I probably should have let them have their fun and went to a movie instead.

You know, you're not supposed to post your own reaction ( :wacko::wacko: ) within my own statement.

Also, the ":D" indicates some ammount of sarcasm. Or in the least, you take my statement as lightheartedly as I took yours. Are you reaching for a disagreement?

I don't think it's that. The Border people just have bad attitudes. Like they are better than you. They are on a power trip.

It's not JUST that but I believe its a big part of it. And I said that the border workers on both sides have bad attitudes. Give somebody a little authority and they begin to think their shit don't stink.

As for Canada Day celebrations, they are what you make them. Try to make it fun with whatever your idea of fun is. Surround yourself with company you like and try to lighten up. It's all up to you.

Big news of the day:  :rolleyes:  They are trying to pass a law that businesses must let you use their washrooms even if you don't buy anything and just walk in for the sole purpose of answering the call of nature.

I disagree. There are the big shopping centres with public washrooms with people hired to keep the washrooms clean. Small businesses and their employees should not have to clean up after no one but themselves. Not to mention there are some inconsiderate people out there and god only knows what mess they would leave behind. Perhaps it's not such a big deal for coffee shops or fast food places but what about a really nice fancy store/restaurant? That's not fair to the business having anybody walk in and out when they please. We'll see what happens.

Edited by the queen without a king

Big news of the day: :rolleyes: They are trying to pass a law that businesses must let you use their washrooms even if you don't buy anything and just walk in for the sole purpose of answering the call of nature.

I disagree. There are the big shopping centres with public washrooms with people hired to keep the washrooms clean. Small businesses and their employees should not have to clean up after no one but themselves. Not to mention there are some inconsiderate people out there and god only knows what mess they would leave behind. Perhaps it's not such a big deal for coffee shops or fast food places but what about a really nice fancy store/restaurant? That's not fair to the business having anybody walk in and out when they please. We'll see what happens.

It's not fair at all ! Another silly move that has .."all about me" written all over it. Of course, our politicians won't be dining at Hastings and Main anytime soon. I'm sure they took that into consideration when coming up with this idea

That happened at my office just a few weeks ago. Everyone just kind of looked at each other and went :wtf: ?

That must have given you a real sense of security :blink: . I wonder if this idea will apply to government offices as well. Talk about passing the buck.

That must have given you a real sense of security :blink: .

No kidding. I remember when I used to be a manager at a small store and people would come in and ask if we had a washroom and I told them it's only for staff and they'd get pissed off (Even though there were public washrooms right around the corner.) But it's definitely not safe to have random strangers come in and out of staff rooms where employees may leave their money and other personal belongings.

Edited by the queen without a king