Oh CANADA!

ZoSoDragon

"I beg your pardon sir, but the word he used... I think he means those houses down there"

Damn those Heritage Minutes! :P

Good ol' Liberal Party/Bronffman/Power Crap. propaganda...

I'm waiting for the day where they'll make a minute about when Mulroney sold Petro-Canada to american interrests for 290 millions$. :blink:

Or when Trudeau fucked Quebec up in 1982, with the Constitution.

Or the Durham rapport...

No kidding. I remember when I used to be a manager at a small store and people would come in and ask if we had a washroom and I told them it's only for staff and they'd get pissed off (Even though there were public washrooms right around the corner.) But it's definitely not safe to have random strangers come in and out of staff rooms where employees may leave their money and other personal belongings.

How did everyone survive before this ? :D This whole idea must have come from a court case where some ruling was established. In Vancouver , our bus system was forced to spend $ 40 million on a radio system that would call out every stop and announce the route and bus number. This because a blind person in Ontario missed they're stop and went to court. Now, I sympathize with the blind person but....$40 million....c'mon

-1-.jpg

NHL Coming Back To Winnipeg

Flames to face Coyotes in Winnipeg

The Calgary Flames will play a pre-season game in Winnipeg in September.

The Flames announced their seven game pre-season schedule on Tuesday and their second contest will be against the Phoenix Coyotes at the MTS Centre.

The game will take place on September 24.

The Coyotes, originally the Jets, moved from Winnipeg to Phoenix after the 1996 season.

*Story*

Hello:

Most Canadians know that Paul McCartney was in Quebec City last eve to headline a concert. It is the 400th anniversary on the founding of QC

There was a small group opposed to a Brit headlining this event.

I have been watching the news yesterday and today. Paul's gig attracted over 200,000 people..I guess the protestors didn't get it cancelled..or wrecked in any way...

If you want great pics check out the French network RDI..Even if you don't understand French...you can still enjoy hearing him sing and watching all the people

Edited by Juliet

McCartney Plays For Thousands At Free Quebec Show

July 21, 2008 , 10:10 AM ET

Paul McCartney churned out a Beatles-laden set list to a pumped-up crowd gathered yesterday (July 20) for a free concert as part of Quebec City's 400th anniversary celebration.

McCartney opened the show with the Wings song "Jet" after which he greeted the crowd in French. The audience erupted and the band then started into the Beatles' 1965 classic "Drive My Car."

The gig also features performances of the Beatles' "All My Loving," "Got To Get You Into My Life," "The Long and Winding Road," "Blackbird," "Eleanor Rigby," "A Day in the Life," "Good Day Sunshine," "Let It Be," "Penny Lane," "Lady Madonna" and "Get Back, among others.

Organizers expected some 200,000 people at the outdoor show on the city's Plains of Abraham. Tens of thousands of music fans began congregating early Sunday in hopes of grabbing a good view.

Following a guest appearance the night before with Billy Joel at New York's Shea Stadium, McCartney arrived in Quebec City Saturday evening and was greeted by hundreds of adoring fans, many of whom had waited several hours outside the Chateau Frontenac Hotel to catch a glimpse of him.

Journalists yelled questions at him from a distance as he got out of his car. When one asked: "Are you happy to be in Quebec City?" He gave a thumbs-up and shouted, "Oui."

The much-anticipated show, McCartney's only scheduled headlining performance in North America this year, drew ire from some in the province who have questioned his participation in the weekend birthday celebrations of French-speaking Quebec City because of his British roots.

They claim his presence evokes painful memories of Britain's conquest of New France in 1760.

In an interview with Radio-Canada earlier this week, the 66-year-old artist brushed off the nationalists' claims. "I think it's time to smoke the pipes of peace and to just, you know, put away your hatchet because I think it's a show of friendship," McCartney said.

McCartney Plays For Thousands At Free Quebec Show

They claim his presence evokes painful memories of Britain's conquest of New France in 1760.

The absurdity of this statement alone makes the whole story a farce. Hardcore separatists will resort to anything to further their agenda.

The absurdity of this statement alone makes the whole story a farce. Hardcore separatists will resort to anything to further their agenda.

I'm sure some form of restitution will ease those.... painful memories <_<

My God, A Canadian busted for cocaine possession ! What's the world coming to ? :D

You know what's funny? Everyone here in the US assumes I'm on drugs BECAUSE I'm from Canada :rolleyes: They think everything's legal there, and think I must be a druggie....we may be polite, but we're all under the influence... :rolleyes:

:lol:

You know what's funny? Everyone here in the US assumes I'm on drugs BECAUSE I'm from Canada :rolleyes: They think everything's legal there, and think I must be a druggie....we may be polite, but we're all under the influence... :rolleyes:

:lol:

I got the munchies. :hippy:

I heard the Premier of Ontario this morning trying to console people that are losing their jobs..He talked about a magic wand

Spare me....if he's that concerned he should not have given M.P.P.'s a 3% raise earlier this year...

Edited by Juliet

Ice sheet breaks loose off Canada

July 30, 2008

EDMONTON, Alberta (AP) -- A chunk of ice spreading across 18 square kilometers (seven square miles) has broken off a Canadian ice shelf in the Arctic, scientists said Tuesday.

A chunk of ice is shown drifting after it separated from the Ward Hunt Ice Shelf off the coast of Ellesmere Island.

Derek Mueller, a researcher at Trent University, was careful not to blame global warming, but said the event was consistent with the theory that the current Arctic climate isn't rebuilding ice sheets.

"We're in a different climate now," he said. "It's not conducive to regrowing them. It's a one-way process."

Mueller said the sheet broke away last week from the Ward Hunt Ice Shelf off the north coast of Ellesmere Island in Canada's far north. He said a crack in the shelf was first spotted in 2002 and a survey this spring found a network of fissures.

The sheet is the biggest piece shed by one of Canada's six ice shelves since the Ayles shelf broke loose in 2005 from the coast of Ellesmere, about 500 miles from the North Pole.

Formed by accumulating snow and freezing meltwater, ice shelves are large platforms of thick, ancient sea ice that float on the ocean's surface. Ellesmere Island was once entirely ringed by a single enormous ice shelf that broke up in the early 1900s.

At 170 square miles and 130-feet thick, the Ward Hunt shelf is the largest of those remnants. Mueller said it has been steadily declining since the 1930s.

Gary Stern, co-leader of an international research program on sea ice, said it's the same story all around the Arctic.

Speaking from the Coast Guard icebreaker Amundsen in Canada's north, Stern said the Ward Hunt breakup is related to what he's seeing thousands of kilometers away.

He hasn't seen any ice in weeks. Plans to set up an ice camp last February had to be abandoned when usually dependable ice didn't form for the second year in a row.

"Nobody on the ship is surprised anymore," said Stern. "We've been trying to get the word out for the longest time now that things are happening fast and they're going to continue to happen fast."

Many scientists now believe that the Arctic will have ice-free summers by 2013 instead of 2030 as predicted by the International Panel on Climate Change.

"It's all connected to the warming climate. Everything is connected together," Stern said.

Hi:

I hope the doctors examine the man and find out what went wrong..Canadians need to know..Was the man unaware he was so ill? Did he have an allergic reaction ? What went wrong? We need to know so we can travel on the bus or train and feel safe again..

Edited by Juliet

I haven't been able to stop thinking about this story. I find myself having tears in my eyes when I think about it. :'( :'(

Me too. I haven't been this affected by a news story in a long time. I almost literally get sick to my stomach about some of the details.

Me too. I haven't been this affected by a news story in a long time. I almost literally get sick to my stomach about some of the details.

And what's worse they've only charged him with second degree murder. Makes you wonder how much more gruesome did this case have to be in order for it to be first degree murder. I love Canada, but I'm so disappointed in our justice system. It really does seem like one can get away with murder. The guy walks on a bus with a huge butcher knife and that's not enough proof that he was planning to kill somebody? What, was he just taking his favourite knife out for a little stroll. I am so livid over this whole case. And the coward still refuses to speak. :angry:

Edited by the queen without a king

And what's worse they've only charged him with second degree murder.

I know!! I couldn't believe that either when I read about it. And apparently all he mumbled was "Please kill me". I was surprised too when his former boss described him as a hard worker with no issues.