Oh CANADA!

ZoSoDragon

Here's my personal take on gas prices. My own and totally just the opinion of myself.

Gas is blah blah blah per litre .

I fill my tank once per week.

80 litres of gas at prices varying by 10 to 25 cents.

80 x .25 is a total of $ 4.00

52 weeks in a year x that $4.00

Year end result is $ 208.00

For $208.00 I don't particularly get worked up about that amount.

Politics , repercussions and other's effects aside , sorry.

There are so many other parts of this world with much more to worry about.

Side note ---

GM's introduction of the " Bolt " is a great step towards the future as well as many of the other car manufacturer's that have begun to embrace the alternatives.

Oil is on it's way out !!!!!!

F--k the greedy tycoons and the politicians.

They're not worth my time or deep thoughts.

Cheers

Edited by Zepp-4-Life

Yep, I can see that working, especially for those who don't have an altruistic bent, or for those who simply can't afford to sacrifice now for later. That it could appeal to so many more beyond ardent environmentalists makes it worth taking a shot on. It could work on private and business levels, though I still think there ought to be more stringent caps in place for the latter, and greater fines. I don't really like the exchange of money for emissions as anything more than a stop gap solution while the transition is made into more efficient technologies takes place

Cheers,

P

Agreed.

There are draw backs to both ideas and I won't claim that everyone will or can participate on a daily basis. The problem with both of these theory's is that you need to put hard earned money out. The cost of living alone, makes this a difficult task for too many. I guess at the end of the day, as long as there are huge profits to be made in oil, there really won't be any realistic move away from using it.

So what is it? Two years and the Winter Games are in Vancouver? How much is the city doing to get ready for the onslaught of tourism? Do you think it will go down smoothly? I wonder who will coach Team Canada in hockey? Wise choice in my opinion would be Lindy Ruff.

You drinking Blue moon or moonshine. :rolleyes:

So what is it? Two years and the Winter Games are in Vancouver? How much is the city doing to get ready for the onslaught of tourism? Do you think it will go down smoothly? I wonder who will coach Team Canada in hockey? Wise choice in my opinion would be Lindy Ruff.

I'm sure someone living there now can answer you more adeptly however ---

I was there recently and quite amazed with the new highway progress from Vancouver to Whistler. the addition of those extra lanes is going to have long term benefits too.

And while up on the Whistler mountain doing some Zip-Treking we had a good close up walk by of the luge which now looks awesome .

Traffic flow is going to be one of the major factors .

Beijing seemed to handle things well so lets hope the west coaster's can put alittle extra in those bongs and work it all out ---- lol.

I'll be there in 2010 . Can't wait.

Canadian hockey ? There are plenty of qualified coaches and usually we choose 3 to run the bench so I'm sure they'll be determined to avenge our horrendous last outing.

A medal shouldn't be too much to ask for .

Since this is the Canada thread I'll be the first to chant ----

GO CANADA GO !!!

Cheers

Edited by Zepp-4-Life

Still plenty to do but venues seem to be on track. Sea to Sky Highway will be the biggest construction project. The question that keeps coming to my mind is what does the government have in store for all the people that will be displaced from the downtown eastside ???? I suspect we'll see a fair bit of bother over that !!!

Still plenty to do but venues seem to be on track. Sea to Sky Highway will be the biggest construction project. The question that keeps coming to my mind is what does the government have in store for all the people that will be displaced from the downtown eastside ???? I suspect we'll see a fair bit of bother over that !!!

Hey there Ally . Thanks for the updates . Keep us informed .

Have you seen or heard of a good local band in Vancouver called " Brickhouse " ??

The singer Rob is an old friend of mine . Great band , good party sound .

You can catch them at The Yale every weekend . They've been the house band there for over 10 years now .

I love BC !!!! I need those mountains !!!!

Cheers from flatland .

LOL

Here's my personal take on gas prices. My own and totally just the opinion of myself.

Gas is blah blah blah per litre .

I fill my tank once per week.

80 litres of gas at prices varying by 10 to 25 cents.

80 x .25 is a total of $ 4.00

52 weeks in a year x that $4.00

Year end result is $ 208.00

For $208.00 I don't particularly get worked up about that amount.

Politics , repercussions and other's effects aside , sorry.

There are so many other parts of this world with much more to worry about.

Side note ---

GM's introduction of the " Bolt " is a great step towards the future as well as many of the other car manufacturer's that have begun to embrace the alternatives.

Oil is on it's way out !!!!!!

F--k the greedy tycoons and the politicians.

They're not worth my time or deep thoughts.

Cheers

Yeah......good wheels...

I'm goin' try to have an attitude like yours....not worry so much..my health is more important than an oil tycoon..politician...and all the other ******* who upset me..

Edited by Juliet

Hey there Ally . Thanks for the updates . Keep us informed .

Have you seen or heard of a good local band in Vancouver called " Brickhouse " ??

The singer Rob is an old friend of mine . Great band , good party sound .

You can catch them at The Yale every weekend . They've been the house band there for over 10 years now .

I love BC !!!! I need those mountains !!!!

Cheers from flatland .

LOL

I've heard of the band but I've not been in the Yale for years. Maybe Babs and I will have to check out the Sat. afternoon jam sometime. Last time I was there a local band called Incognito was kicking out some great stuff. I also heard that there is a great Hendrix tribute band floating around that may be an off shoot project of Brickhouse. The name doesn't come to mind at the moment but I've heard they're quite good. There's plenty of stuff happening musically in the city. I really do need to get out a little more :D

I've heard of the band but I've not been in the Yale for years. Maybe Babs and I will have to check out the Sat. afternoon jam sometime. Last time I was there a local band called Incognito was kicking out some great stuff. I also heard that there is a great Hendrix tribute band floating around that may be an off shoot project of Brickhouse. The name doesn't come to mind at the moment but I've heard they're quite good. There's plenty of stuff happening musically in the city. I really do need to get out a little more :D

Incognito !!! Another great band with some serious blues.

The singer of that band " Sherman the Tank " is also an old friend of mine.

Sherman and Rob ( from Brickhouse ) can blow some serious harmonica.

The Yale was supposed to be torn down this summer , but is still hanging in there .

I recommend seeing Brickhouse there before the final closure.

They play a real upbeat style of rythm and blues . Very popular with the chicks they are.

Where ever they play , the house is always packed . Quite a following.

You can find lots of vid's on Y-tube.

Never heard of the Hendrix act there .

Here's a classic to check out with some cool harmonica .

Rob and Sherman ----

I realize it's not Zepp , and we are on a LZ forum , but this is the Canadian thread and I support all things Canadian . Whole heartedly .

I have a Zeppelin tattoo on my left shoulder and a Canadian flag on the other shoulder.

The two things that mean the most to me .

Cheers

Incognito !!! Another great band with some serious blues.

The singer of that band " Sherman the Tank " is also an old friend of mine.

Sherman and Rob ( from Brickhouse ) can blow some serious harmonica.

The Yale was supposed to be torn down this summer , but is still hanging in there .

I recommend seeing Brickhouse there before the final closure.

They play a real upbeat style of rythm and blues . Very popular with the chicks they are.

Where ever they play , the house is always packed . Quite a following.

You can find lots of vid's on Y-tube.

Never heard of the Hendrix act there .

Here's a classic to check out with some cool harmonica .

Rob and Sherman ----

I realize it's not Zepp , and we are on a LZ forum , but this is the Canadian thread and I support all things Canadian . Whole heartedly .

I have a Zeppelin tattoo on my left shoulder and a Canadian flag on the other shoulder.

The two things that mean the most to me .

Cheers

Sherman Doucette is great ! The Yale is only going to be renovated. It's the Cecil Hotel next door that is going

6.jpg

Ordinary Folks Don't Care About the Arts: Harper

Great. More cuts to the arts sector, under the guise of siding with 'ordinary folks'. The rhetorical spin is in full force here with a - defining who 'ordinary folks' are (and aww shucks, 'folks' is so homey, ain't it?) and b - identifying what they deem relevant or meaningful.

Guess what? If by ordinary folks you mean people who bust their balls for hours on end to make ends meet, then you've just defined the vast majority of artists working in Canada, most of whom have to supplement their artistic endeavours with other work. Some of the artists Harper referred to at the 'rich gala' may have worked their way to being well off, or at least making a good living solely on their craft, but the majority aren't that privileged. And by the way, the "Giller Prize" is not publicly funded.

What's really going on I suspect is the silencing of contentious voices, those that challenge Harper's political agenda, that make it easier for him to keep his power unabated. It's not like he needed those cuts to encourage 'ordinary folks' to vote for him, he's well ahead in the polls. But now that he's pissed off and united an entire nation's artists, many of whom usually have only loose ties to one another, it'll come back to bite him. Maybe not now or next year, but the backlash will be formidable. In wanting to silence, he's unleashed a collective force against him.

Some responses to his 'elitist artists' agenda:

To Be Creative I, In Fact, Canadian by Margaret Atwood

What Do 'Ordinary Working People' Want On TV? Let Me Tell You

And by the way, 'folks' isn't really a term associated with Canadian speak. Where oh where have heard it before?

Harperposter.jpg

You may think it's okay for Harper to do this, you may not care. But keep in mind that if your sector happens to challenge him, you won't be able to say you never saw it coming, because the precedent is here.

Just wondering how you non Montreal Canadiens fans in Canada feel about them putting the Habs logo on coins to be minted in honor of Montreal's 100 year anniversary? Canucks, Senators, Flames, Oilers, and expecially you Maple Leaf fans?

With a special centennial Hockey team in the NHL 09 video game, a limited edition Habs version of Monopoly, a motion picture based on the franchise and now this? I feel very spoiled! :D

... and Go Habs Go! :cheer:

Edited by Puck Slapping Maple Sucker

Ordinary Folks Don't Care About the Arts: Harper

Great. More cuts to the arts sector, under the guise of siding with 'ordinary folks'. The rhetorical spin is in full force here with a - defining who 'ordinary folks' are (and aww shucks, 'folks' is so homey, ain't it?) and b - identifying what they deem relevant or meaningful.

Guess what? If by ordinary folks you mean people who bust their balls for hours on end to make ends meet, then you've just defined the vast majority of artists working in Canada, most of whom have to supplement their artistic endeavours with other work. Some of the artists Harper referred to at the 'rich gala' may have worked their way to being well off, or at least making a good living solely on their craft, but the majority aren't that privileged. And by the way, the "Giller Prize" is not publicly funded.

What's really going on I suspect is the silencing of contentious voices, those that challenge Harper's political agenda, that make it easier for him to keep his power unabated. It's not like he needed those cuts to encourage 'ordinary folks' to vote for him, he's well ahead in the polls. But now that he's pissed off and united an entire nation's artists, many of whom usually have only loose ties to one another, it'll come back to bite him. Maybe not now or next year, but the backlash will be formidable. In wanting to silence, he's unleashed a collective force against him.

Some responses to his 'elitist artists' agenda:

To Be Creative I, In Fact, Canadian by Margaret Atwood

What Do 'Ordinary Working People' Want On TV? Let Me Tell You

And by the way, 'folks' isn't really a term associated with Canadian speak. Where oh where have heard it before?

Harperposter.jpg

You may think it's okay for Harper to do this, you may not care. But keep in mind that if your sector happens to challenge him, you won't be able to say you never saw it coming, because the precedent is here.

Hi P:

Thanks for this info....Colm Feore-actor will return to Stratford next year to perform in Macbeth..

http://www.stratfordshakespearefestival.com/ to see this year's program...

Hi P:

Thanks for this info....Colm Feore-actor will return to Stratford next year to perform in Macbeth..

http://www.stratfordshakespearefestival.com/ to see this year's program...

Thanks Juliet, hopefully the political info spreads. Good to know about Feore. I really want to see Christopher Plummer in 'Caesar and Cleopatra' this year at Stratford, too. A few years ago I saw him there as Lear and he was brilliant.

Cheers,

P