Oh CANADA!

ZoSoDragon

As an Ontario resident, i couldn't agree more.

Perhaps somebody from the West or East could bring a little more common sense to Parliament Hill.

p.s. the latest is that Harper will resign immediately if the GG does not grant him a suspension of Parliament. Stay tuned...

Given the circumstances, if he is not granted a suspension then he should resign. Again, this has nothing to do with my own personal political persuasion. I just feel that, it's the right thing to do at this time. I don't like the look of this coalition. Not because of the retoric about the Bloq but because there are so many turn coats in both the Liberal and NDP camps that I can't see them making it through their agreement without another similar situation arising. After some serious thought about this, it's my opinion that Harper should first resign and if necessary another election should be called. If he resigns, it may not have to come to that.

BTW, I'll vote for the best person, no matter what part of the country they come from :D

LOL THANKS for posting this, I only caught snippets on the news

post-5-1228845758_thumb.jpg

Cheers Sam :lol::beer:

What, no poutine? The Quebecois will complain about unfair distribution of representation lol

Now that the Libs have swiftly dethroned Dion (a good thing, he should never have gotten the position in the first place; thanks heaps, Kennedy) and crowned Ignatieff as party leader, it'll be interesting to see how the coalition will hold up come January. Word has it that Iggy is cool to the idea, but he's too shrewd to just abandon it outright. Deal with the Bloc be damned, if the budget is seen as the least bit partisan or vengeful, the opposition will likely pounce. Will Harper keep his stubborn ego in check, and now that the coalition will be more stable, will it vote in favour of the budget or just oust him regardless? A tightrope walk in any direction.

Cheers, fellow Canuckleheads :)

Oh Patricia. What do I have to do to make you a Sabres fan? Ill take you out to a classy restaurant! After all, Buffalo is the only american city that plays the Canadien anthem at every game. Even if there is no Canadien team playing that night.

Oh Yukon, alas, I'm not that easily bribed. Actually, I didn't know that about Buffalo and the anthems. It's impressive, just not enough to get me to be a turncoat. If the woeful Ballard years didn't do it, you've got a steep hill to climb.

Any chance of you donning a Leafs sweater?

Yours Sincerely,

a bleeding blue & white fellow nhl fan

Actually I think you would have a good time with me at a hockey game. Im not bribing you. Only trying to be a friend. I have a great respect for all hockey fans (unless they are Philly fans).

Oh, of that I have little doubt. It's fun to watch games with opponent's fans - yes, except Flyers' fans (no offense normal Philly people :), but seriously, how many players and coaches have their fans assaulted? They must have the record on that).

You know, it's been years since I've seen a live Leafs game. At my old work my boss had a pair of pre-season tickets for a game against the Habs and that was great fun, but nowadays even the nosebleeds are pricey and tickets are very difficult to get. The ONLY time I ever paid scalper prices was for a Page and Plant show here in '95. 3rd row. Worth every penny.

Anyway, see you here on the 12th, fellow fan. Cheers, P

• Administrators
you must find out, is Sam a Leafs fan or a Sabres fan? Or neither? Either way, Ill tip my glass, of Vodka, cheers all.

A Sabres fan, in T.O.? Never heard of such a thing. :P

For me it's was...

:nhl:Montreal-Canadiens-Logo.gif and 64-64003_a.jpg:nhl_checking:

Though it's been downhill for the Leafs ever since the 1993 semi-finals. :bagoverhead:

A Sabres fan, in T.O.? Never heard of such a thing. :P

For me it's was...

:nhl:Montreal-Canadiens-Logo.gif and 64-64003_a.jpg:nhl_checking:

Though it's been downhill for the Leafs ever since the 1993 semi-finals. :bagoverhead:

A Habs fan in T.O.? Egads! /jk :P

*sigh* Kerry Fraser. You've brought it all back. If only he had called the blatant high stick on Gretzky (Gilmour was even bleeding, I mean, what more did he need???), the same Gretzky who then proceeded to score the winning goal against us, the Leafs and Habs would've met for the Cup final. Damn you, Kerry Fraser, DAMN YOU!!!

Hopefully that bag won't be on too much longer. Better days are ahead with the current management in place. We may even see another Stanley Cup in our lifetime. Yes I'm sober.

i got my Sabres tickets the day before they went on sale to the public as Im a Sabres insider. I went to the St Louis game and have tickets for Phoenix in March. Catch you later.

That's exactly my point. They're very hard to get here unless you're willing to dip into the inheritance. Probably why you see so many Leafs fans at Sabres games, besides the obvious competitive spirit of it all.

Not before my Sabres win one! The team that won the presidents cup two years ago isi still in pretty good shape. They knew what they were doing keeping Vanek and letting those two greedy guys Drury and Briere go. Neither of whom have been spectacular since departing. Id rather see Toronto win that Montreal though. Have nothing against the leafs but hate the Canadiens and Senators.

It's too bad that they couldn't have kept Briere. He was great with the Sabres and I think the team was in a position to be a serious threat to win the cup for a number of years if they'd been able to.

I understand why he was allowed to leave but, it's been a big hole to fill.

Oh my goodness...fellow Canadian Zep fans...we had a dignitary visit our thread today..Welcome Sam

I'm still working on my brew...when it's all done you can have a generous Harper...ooops I mean helping

Juliet :witch:

Hey Yukon:

You just gave me another idea fo my brew..to give it that extra kick... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tea Party rocker sails with Armada

By JASON MacNEIL - Sun Media

After disbanding The Tea Party in 2005, lead singer/guitarist Jeff Martin decided it was best to strip his music down to its core, opting for the singer-songwriter route and separating himself from the big, brawny hard rock sound.

But now that the "acoustic troubadour" phase has ended, Martin is back with The Armada, a group he says "will certainly remind you of the three-piece band I used to play in."

Martin, performing tonight at Toronto's Tattoo Rock Parlour, says he wasn't hesitant about returning to a band.

"My only concern would have been the musicianship," Martin says. "With The Tea Party we set the bar pretty high, and the thing was if I was going to go back into it, especially with a three-piece, I wouldn't go back into it underneath that bar. I needed to go back in with that bar being equal but being able to have the confidence to push it forward."

The Armada formed when Martin met drummer Wayne Sheehy, who worked with the likes of Ronnie Wood and Robert Palmer. Martin says the synergy between the duo was something of a "slow burn."

"It was just a case of feeling each other out -- first of all in a friendship," he says. "We had all the respect in the world for one another, so when it came time to actually get to the studio that chemistry certainly was there. We could play off each other but also inspire each other."

As for the self-titled debut, released in a limited run last year but getting far wider distribution in 2009, Martin says there was no extra material to choose from.

"I do believe that when the inspiration comes you have to be able to see it through to its finality," he says. "Writing songs in all facets, whether it's the composition, production or the engineering of it, it's always a big puzzle. The challenge is to realize it to its fullest, and that's what we did with every song, we saw it through to the end."

And the finished product contains a lot of hard rock numbers, including the eco-leaning A Line In The Sand, the opener Going Down Blues and Chinese Whispers which was inspired by an Australian fan who tracked Martin down in Ireland.

"He dropped off an instrument (Chinese pipa) for me, just as an appreciation for the past," he says. "So I started fooling around with it in the studio and Wayne came up with this massive drumbeat.

"And in the past with The Tea Party, the Middle Eastern element has always been there with the rock and roll music. I was wondering how that would sound in a hard rock situation, so with this pipa and Japanese koto we put it all together and it started to sound like the real deal. It was a lot of fun."

While no dates are confirmed for a Canadian tour for The Armada, Martin says the group will launch its tour in Australia next month, with the goal to hit Canada sometime in May.

Martin says the shows thus far have been "fantastic," including an Australia in November. But this seasoned musician has his limits.

"I had high expectations but they were definitely surpassed," he says. "When we come here it's got to be the right time and it's often an expensive endeavour. The one thing I will not do is lose money on a tour ever again. I did that too many times on tour with The Tea Party."

This time, less is more

When making their self-titled debut, Jeff Martin says one of the biggest hurdles in making The Armada was simply knowing when enough was enough when it came to producing the record.

"The challenge was to maybe not go overboard on it, because when you own your own studio, time is not an issue," he says. "There's a tendency to perhaps over-produce, especially in my case because I've been guilty of it in the past with The Tea Party. The challenge was to make a rock and roll music that would stand the test of time, just making serious, sexy, dark rock and roll music."

And while Martin says they tried to keep things from going over the top, the track Baby's Come Undone features the singer playing six or seven different stringed instruments from India.

"It's like sometimes Wayne and I thought we should have a track on the (mixing) console called The Kitchen Sink because sometimes it was everything but," Martin says.

But, like all a lot of classic rock fans, Martin is of two minds when it comes to the subject of Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham seeking a lead singer for a Led Zeppelin reunion tour of sorts.

"I love the fact it would be good for people to see those masters again," Martin says. "But at the same time you wonder if things should be just left alone. That being said, Jimmy will do what Jimmy does."