Oh CANADA!

ZoSoDragon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Edwin/Tea Party/OLP Band Is For Real

by Kate Harper (CHARTattack)

Edwin will play his final Toronto solo show on Feb. 25 before Crash Karma, the new band he's in with former Our Lady Peace guitarist Mike Turner and ex-Tea Party drummer Jeff Burrows, release their debut album.

The former I Mother Earth singer will play his last show at the Duncan Street location of Toronto's Grace O'Malley's pub. Tickets are $10 and available at the bar. Special guests will apparently be announced later. Edwin is no stranger to bars, as he's a bartender at Toronto's Tattoo Rock Parlour.

Crash Karma are putting the finishing touches on their debut album.

The arrival of the new band will mark 10 years since Edwin's Another Spin Around The Sun solo album went platinum in Canada. The Tea Party's Triptych record went double-platinum and Turner's last album with OLP — Spiritual Machines — also came out that year.

No other information is available about Crash Karma's debut, but we'll be sure to let you know when we find out more. We know you're just itching for the deets.

Long live '90s Can-rock!

So what do I have to do to get into Canada now? I hear differant stories from differant people? DO I NEED A DAMN PASSPORT OR NOT????????????????

DOES ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE????????????????

:wtf:

At the moment if you are coming by land then you only need proof that you are a US citizen. Picture ID etc. After June this year, a passport will be required by everyone from every country no mater how you arrive.

At the moment if you are coming by land then you only need proof that you are a US citizen. Picture ID etc. After June this year, a passport will be required by everyone from every country no mater how you arrive.

Sorry Yukon but just to clarify, it is required by the US gov. that you have a passport to re enter the USA. I know it sounds crazy but those are the facts.

Thanks.

It's my understanding that there is some sort of North American ID system being put together that will speed up the by land cross border process but I'm sure it will cost us all a few dollairos and you'll still need to have a passport if you fly. Another money grab for sure but, if you cross back and forth as much as I do, then it will be worth it

It seems to me, at least at the 1000 Islands bridge, that they dont want us coming over there? It is not as strict at Niagra Falls/Peace Bridge but it is quite a hassle. And now that our dollar is less than yours its not really worth it right now going over. Though I want to go back to Toronto, I just dont know if its worth the hassle. Not unless Juliet can get me some Sabres at Leafs tickets! :yay:

Well, our dollar is not worth more than yours. I was charged 35% last weekend when I was down.

As for coming into Canada I think anyone with a US passport is going to be ok because Canada Customs know's that you will be allowed to go back home.

I heard that your dollar was worth more than ours now? Are you sure? If not, how much is it? It must be close.

Last I saw our dollar was worth $.82. It had been on par and for a while worth more but that didn't last long :D

• 3 weeks later...

Steven Page leaves BNL

By TED RATH -- Sun Media

page.jpg

Singer-guitarist Steven Page. (File photo)

Singer-guitarist Steven Page has left The Barenaked Ladies "by mutual agreement" to pursue solo projects.

The Toronto band and Page together made the announcement last night on BNL's website.

"It's the start of a new chapter for all of us," wrote bandmate Ed Robertson.

Page was charged with drug possession in upstate New York last July, only weeks after the band released a children's album.

In October, Page agreed to a deal with prosecutors that would result in the felony drug charge being dropped if he stayed out of trouble for six months, which time will elapse come late April.

Contacted last night by Sun Media, drummer Tyler Stewart said he couldn't comment much further on the split at this time.

"The band is happy to be moving forward and can't wait to get into the studio to record new material," Stewart wrote in an e-mail to Sun Media.

"That's all I can really say."

The remaining members of the band say they will continue recording and touring together as The Barenaked Ladies.

Page, 38, was not available to be interviewed last night, but on the band's website he wrote:

"These guys are my brothers. We've grown up together over the past 20 years. I love them and wish them all the best in the future."

According to the band's website, Page will "pursue solo projects including theatrical opportunities while the band enters the studio in April 2009, and hits the road in the fall."

The Barenaked Ladies had a rocky 2008.

Not only was Page arrested, but in late August Robertson crashed his float plane in a wooded area north of Bancroft, Ont., and luckily walked away unhurt along with three passengers.

This year, the Ladies appeared to be on a mini-comeback, with a recent Juno Award nomination for their children's album, Snacktime, just in time to celebrate their 20th anniversary as a band.

The Barenaked Ladies have made 11 albums since 1992.

They have had four Top 5 singles in Canada, and two Top 20 singles in the U.S., where One Week reached No. 1 in 1998 and Pinch Me hit No. 15 in 2000.

The band was named group of the year at the Juno Awards in 1993, 1995 and 2001, and twice won the Juno for best pop album (Stunt in 1995, Maroon in 2001).

HI P'meister:

I heard about this on CTV..I like the BNL's cover of Bruce Cockburn's Lovers In A Dangerous time

I think it will be difficult for the band to go on without Steven....

They should have postponed or never done a kid's album until Steven's troubles were further in the past..

I prefer Ed's voice...I love the tune Brian Wilson.. and the one about the old apartment

I wish them all the best...

HI P'meister:

I heard about this on CTV..I like the BNL's cover of Bruce Cockburn's Lovers In A Dangerous time

I think it will be difficult for the band to go on without Steven....

They should have postponed or never done a kid's album until Steven's troubles were further in the past..

I prefer Ed's voice...I love the tune Brian Wilson.. and the one about the old apartment

I wish them all the best...

I wish them all the best too. Damn, it seems like just yesterday that they were braking through. Where has time flown ? :huh:

So our dollar is worth more again? Good news for us I guess. If we can cross the border without getting locked up. I would sure like to get to duty free. I used to go up and say Ive been there overnight, when in fact I did a U turn and went straight to the Oasis. Looking for that good Canadien beer that keeps a head when you pour it. I always liked the Molson Ale. But Id grab some Vodka too. So how much would I have to pay for a hotel up there during the Olympics? Im afraid to ask. It doesnt have to be a 5 diamond hotel. Just a roach free environment.

http://www.exchangezones.com/Olympics-rentals.htmltion.

These seem a little low from what I've been hearing. Other options are listed

I wish them all the best too. Damn, it seems like just yesterday that they were braking through. Where has time flown ? :huh:

Yes Ally..it just seems like yesterday..

All afternoon I've been humming If I Had A Million Dollars...another tune by BNL

I remember when they fIrst started and the then female mayor of Toronto would not let them play at City Hall on NYE because of their name...BARE NAKED LADIES!!!! :lol:

Yes Ally..it just seems like yesterday..

All afternoon I've been humming If I Had A Million Dollars...another tune by BNL

I remember when they fIrst started and the then female mayor of Toronto would not let them play at City Hall on NYE because of their name...BARE NAKED LADIES!!!! :lol:

Ha, and as we all know, only in Canada could someone come to that conclusion :D

Hi:

The BNL were talked about on CTV news last eve...Lloyd Robertson, veteran icon in Canadian journalism, seemed sad but hopeful there would be a reunion at somepoint..

Steven was interviewed this am on CTV. He has big plans...I like his speaking voice. It just so happens that he's going to narrate a children's story, Babar the Elephant with some group...he plans to record and tour again plus work with a jazz/classical group. He said that his kids are just concerned that he's going to be doing something..

Hello:

Sad news to report about the cutbacks and/or closing of many A Channels in Ontario. Stations affected include Ottawa, Barrie, London, Windsor and Wingham. It appears the Windsor and Wingham stations will close on August 31...

This upsets me to no end. The London Channel features news, weather and sports but more important it has area news (factory closings, farm news, hospital and school news features etc etc), for the benefit of all who live in and around London. The am show has been cancelled laying off many excellent staff.

The station almost always features artists that perform at The John Labbatt Centre. (Robert and Strange Senstation played there in 05), as well as, smaller venues like Centennial Hall

The A Station-London always covers the opening of The Stratford Festival-an internationally acclaimed theatre featuring Shakespeare's works, musicals and other plays...

Let's hope the London station will not be closed completely...

The smaller station in Wingham that will soon be closed had a talent show years ago. There was a young girl who is now known as Shania Twain who sang on that show. I believe she sang Dolly Parton's Coat of Many Colours..

SAVE SMALL TOWN TV STATIONS...THEY ARE A SYMBOL OF FREE SPEECH

Edited by Juliet

Yukon:

I'm so glad you mentioned the CBC...it to is at risk as it may be facing many cutbacks...It appears its rival, CTV, is in trouble also....It is the parent company of The A Channel..

The CBC is like your NBC or ABC

...SAVE OUR CANADIAN TV NETWORKS....

Edited by Juliet