Oh CANADA!

ZoSoDragon

Thanks, but no thanks. I think we like things just the way they are.

I 2nd that.

One reason to love Canada - The Kids In The Hall.

Memorable quotes for

"The Kids in the Hall"

Kid (Scott Thompson): You are American?

Tourist (Dave Foley): No, I'm a Canadian. It's like an American, but without the gun.

First, I will never know how to use these quotes, thus I always reply to the entire post. Have tried everything. It is very important that Canada and the United States always remain close along with England. In recent years for the first time ever, there has been some tension between our countries. I dont like to point fingers, but in this case I must. I do think it is more of Canada's doing. And now these Montreal fans, who are amoung the most knowledgable on the game of hockey itself, are booing the anthem for what? Its not like the Boston Bruins represent the entire USA for Gods sake. I am not a Bruins fan. But I do want them to beat Montreal. Simply because I have never liked Montreal and Boston certainly deserves to win based on the year they had. Im sure there will be some idiots at tonights finale.

My friend was at the game and he told me that is was mostly a bunch of 1,500 drunken fuckers in the Molson Export section that were booing.

It's always some young bastards trying to be cool that will boo the anthem. And they're not all French. there's a lot of anglophones, too.

We've lost... so what...

How Buffalo's doing, so far??

I really don't think that would be an easy thing to accomplish. and it seems our recent relationship with England is far better than that with Canada. Their over zealous border agents have done a great job of making sure us Americans dont come in. But from a national security standpoint alone, you need us more than we need you.

Yeah, but that's like needing a colonoscopy, so nothing to brag about :D . You still haven't said what you mean by an "Oh Canada" attitude, I really don't know what you mean. Surely you don't think I support the booing of the US anthem at hockey games? I don't know what else you could be referring to...

I am referring to the anti american attitude many Canadiens seem to have these days. It has been made very clear at the border crossings. And now at the hockey game.

Yeah unfortunately it became a lot more rampant during the Bush administration. And it wasn't just in Canada, either. But to answer your question, no, I'm not anti-American. Not wanting to join the US as a nation does not, for me at least, have anything to do with disliking the States, but with wanting to preserve and maintain Canada's unique identity, one undoubtedly influenced by our proximity to your country, but distinct in meaningful ways nonetheless.

And please try not to let the booing douchebags at hockey games get to you. They certainly don't represent all of us, just the small minority that slipped by evolution. I hope your border experiences improve. Has it been the same at all crossings or one in particular?

I was just saying that despite all the history and stuff both countries have, they are so close and do so much together that it just seems like they have always been just part of one big country anyway. I have always thought as Canada as just an extension of the USA. I have relatives there but havent seen them in many years now. They wouldl throw in jokes like Yankee and such, and of course they have that accent that irritates me, but we are still very much alike.

I would say that it's because of the history that they're distinct. I suppose just like you don't like being branded a certain way because you're American, we don't like to hear that our distinctness isn't recognized either. Then again, your country to me seems like fifty little nations. It's rather amazing you guys can keep it all together.

I get why you would have such a notion since it's from your experience, but Canada is very diverse; perhaps you just need to see a bit more of it :D

Speaking of farmers......Taking a drive through the farmland of Ontario this weekend, perhaps?

Please be prepared for the annual spreading of manure as you breath in that good country air... it's gotta be done...all part of getting the land ready for the next round of crops....

Juliet :chickeddance:

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know what the new rules are to drive across the border into the US? I'm planning on going to a concert there at the end of May. Last year when I went to see Robert Plant, my friend had some issues because all he had was a drivers license. I've heard that it's now mandatory to have a passport to cross the border by car. Trying to Google, but not finding too much. I've read that law doesn't come into place until June. But don't want to chance it again driving all the way there (from T.O).

Anyone know what specific documentation you need if you don't have a passport? Or are the rules now that a passport is required?

Does anybody know what the new rules are to drive across the border into the US? I'm planning on going to a concert there at the end of May. Last year when I went to see Robert Plant, my friend had some issues because all he had was a drivers license. I've heard that it's now mandatory to have a passport to cross the border by car. Trying to Google, but not finding too much. I've read that law doesn't come into place until June. But don't want to chance it again driving all the way there (from T.O).

Anyone know what specific documentation you need if you don't have a passport? Or are the rules now that a passport is required?

The passport requirement does not go intp effect untill June 1. As I understand it, a birth certificate and a drivers license are all that's needed. If you have a passport, my experience has been that you will have far less trouble entering and returning

The passport requirement does not go intp effect untill June 1. As I understand it, a birth certificate and a drivers license are all that's needed. If you have a passport, my experience has been that you will have far less trouble entering and returning

Thanks Ally! Last year it was a bit of a headache because my friend didn't have a passport. I had mine, and I was told that was sufficient. I just wasn't sure if my friend would be able to wing it this time since it's cutting so close the effect time. I wouldn't be too bothered if I was crossing into Buffalo. Last year the NY border guys were joking around with me about Robert Plant. But I've found from past experience that Detroit is much more strict.

Thanks Ally! Last year it was a bit of a headache because my friend didn't have a passport. I had mine, and I was told that was sufficient. I just wasn't sure if my friend would be able to wing it this time since it's cutting so close the effect time. I wouldn't be too bothered if I was crossing into Buffalo. Last year the NY border guys were joking around with me about Robert Plant. But I've found from past experience that Detroit is much more strict.

Understood ! I think sometimes questions get raised if one in the car has a passport and the other doesn't. I've found customs on both sides of the border to be sticky about that if there's not too much of a line up. Having the passport just eliminates a lot of the questions

It was 40 years ago today, Led Zeppelin hit Canada

Tom Murray

For Canwest News Service

Saturday, May 09, 2009

They were "brutal," and "loud to the point of pain" -- and those were compliments.

When Led Zeppelin showed up in Edmonton on May 9, 1969, a number of rock fans at the Edmonton Gardens (now the Agricom) had their faces melted by the intensity of the group -- including then Edmonton Journal rock critic Bob Harvey, who couldn't write down enough superlatives to describe the show.

They were just under a year old, and only a few months from still being called the New Yardbirds -- the band's first gig under the name Led Zeppelin was in October 1968. But Edmontonians were already hip to this hyped supergroup, packing the mid-sized hockey arena.

Not Brian Gregg, though. The longtime local musician had no idea what he was getting into when the then-19-year-old guitarist and his group, the Angus Park Blues Band, were tabbed to be openers, along with Vancouver's Papa Bear's Medicine Show Band.

"I never listened to the radio, so I didn't know who they were," admits Gregg, who still keeps a heavy musical schedule as a busker, open stage host, solo artist and member of The Greggs, with his teenage sons.

"We were into the blues. We had a stack of these Chicago blues records, so that's what we listened to and played," he explains. "I was just happy to perform at the Gardens. But after we tore down gear and went to the front to watch, I was blown away -- it was so loud, and so good."

Edmonton was the first Canadian stop on Zep's North American tour, and 15-year-old hippie Kirby (who goes by one name only) -- now a respected music industry veteran -- was quick to snap up a $4 ticket.

"The album had just come out earlier that year, but, wow, did we know the songs! This was prior to Stairway to Heaven and Whole Lotta Love, of course. The big hit of the night was Dazed and Confused -- which I sure was.

"It was wild, crazed energy, this intense vibe -- the sheer power of the band, the volume. Just this huge mind and body rush when it was a tune you knew really well that you loved -- Good Times Bad Times, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, Communication Breakdown -- the music washing over you in deep waves."

Stony Plain Records founder Holger Peterson remembers the night very well. He interviewed vocalist Robert Plant backstage for the NAIT Nugget and chatted with guitarist Jimmy Page. When he met up with them again about a month later, Plant remembered him and gave the young writer his address and phone number should he ever make it to England.

"They were very accessible," Peterson recalls. "There wasn't the security you saw at later shows. And these were very nice people -- the only one I didn't talk to was the drummer (John Bonham), who was evidently in his warm-up routine."

Bonham died in 1980, and the band folded thereafter. Page, Plant and bassist John Paul Jones collaborated with a host of other artists and groups, including The Firm (Page), Alison Krauss (Plant), Butthole Surfers (Jones), and even with each other, especially Page and Plant.

In 2007, the remaining members brought Bonham's son Jason in for a reunion show at a benefit in the name of deceased legendary music executive Ahmet Ertegun. The one-time concert fired up speculation about a tour, but Plant begged off due to commitments with Krauss, with whom he recorded a Grammy-Award-winning album.

At the moment, there's no plan for the remaining members to get back together under the name Led Zeppelin, and even Page seems pessimistic about the possibility. But the ties between the three are deep, so there's always hope.

To All Canadian Zep fans:

Have a safe and wonderful Victoria Day weekend also known as the May 2-4 weekend

Juliet :party:

PS I'll be working for most of it but hopefully I'll enjoy some celebrations on Monday!!

Thanks Juliet ! Like you, I'll be working it . I hope every one of our resident Canucks has a great long weekend. Be safe folks

At approximately 2:30 a.m I was awoken by a noise...it resembled the sound of a car with a flat tire..

...The sound continued..I thought it was a car being stolen and moved out of the parking lot...I arose and went out on my balcony...it was not a car but some scondrel setting off fireworks nearby..I saw numerous flares go off in the night sky...

I had a cup of tea and tried to get back to sleep after the noise stopped...I couldn't except for a half hour @ 5

So...I've had little sleep..I've had to work today...I have to work again tomorrow..

I hope the person/people do not return in the night...I'll be summoning the army if they set off their flares and wake me up AGAIN!!!

HAPPY MAY 2-4 WEEKEND ...HAH!!!!!!

Juliet :duel:

Is this your 4th of July or is that Canada day? I haven't talked to my relatives up there in so many years. I may never see them again?

It's Victoria Day Yukon. Canada Day is July 1

Hello:

An eight year old girl, Victoria Stafford, of Woodstock, Ontario (near London) has been missing since Wednesday, April 8.....She was seen being lead away from her school by an unknown woman

The O.P.P. have taken over the case which is finally being called an abduction..it was considered a missing person at the beginning

Further details available from media websites http://www.ctv.ca/ or http://www.cbc.ca/

Juliet

PS I am praying for a safe return of this little girl...

Hello:

It is with deep regret I inform you that this story does not have a happy ending...

A male and female have been arrested...officers are now searching for Victoria's body..

You can look at the CBC and CTV websites for more details..

I have not mentioned this before but Woodstock is my birthplace..I am overwhelmed with anger and sadness at this time...

Juliet

^ so very sad! I couldn't believe it when they announced it. Hopefully the investigation and prosecution won't lead to being handcuffed into any 'deals' for a lesser sentence like it did with Bernardo/Homolka, a cold psycho who is now free. It's such an injustice and added insult to injury for the families of the victims. Prayers to the family of little Victoria RIP

Have there been any arrests? You dont see this type of thing in Canada so often. I dont know the details or anything but hope they catch whoever did this.

Oops, sorry, I went back a few posts and see there has been an arrest.

Sadly Yukon, we see way too much of this in Canada . The 49th paralllel is only a line in latitude

An update on the Tori case: apparently the eighteen-year-old accomplice abducted the little girl so her boyfriend could have his way with her before she was killed. I swear to God some people are a waste of space. No soul.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinio...article1147974/

Sick bastards. This stinks of Bernardo / Homelka :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

m_fe4ba03e31254a9693629fa9ec4f68c3.jpg

Band Website www.crashkarma.com

Band Members EDWIN, MIKE TURNER, JEFF BURROWS, AMIR EPSTEIN

Influences Great Music

The self-titled debut from Toronto’s Crash Karma is the result of three individuals with multi-platinum pedigrees and one equally skilled yet unknown musician who sneakily orchestrated the rock band’s formation. Yep, he lied — but for the greater good, as you can hear. Lead vocalist Edwin (ex I Mother Earth), drummer Jeff Burrows (ex The Tea Party), guitarist Mike Turner (ex Our Lady Peace) and bassist Amir Epstein (Zygote) crashed karmically in the studio to create songs that are heavy, intricate, big, intense and melodic, a sound that can only come from these four guys with their respective histories, chemistry and musical prowess.

Good Morning All:

The Much Music Video Awards are on Sunday eve @ 9 or 6 PT on the Much Music station

Performers include Nickleback, Lady Gaga, Alexisonfire, Rise Against, Kelly Clarkson, Black Eyed Peas, Billy Talent and more..

Juliet :wave:

PS HAVE A WONDERFUL AND SAFE WEEKEND EVERYONE...