Oh CANADA!

ZoSoDragon

molson golden, export and canadian are here in -new york. what do have -labatts? actually -moosehead disappeared for yrs and now is back again, but someone bought the name.

It's funny, when we could get MG here we couldn't get the real Moosehead. Had to go down to Wash.State to buy it.

The most popular domestic beer in BC is Molson Canadian but I can't stand it. Kokanee runs a close second and is probably the closest thing we've got to a regular American beer. Miller Genuine Draft is also a big seller and if you buy the bottles, it's the real MGD. If you buy the cans, it's been brewed under licence up here. Quite a difference in the taste as well

My hubby came to Manitoba from Ontario and wondered where the Molson Export was. That was 13 years ago, he still can't get it.

Don't quote me but I think this is due to licencing agreements and because of the growing popularity of local microbrews trying to get their share of the market place. Export used to be readily available here as well but now it seems that the only way you can get it is through special order.

With great sadness, I report that, TAYLOR MITCHELL 19 of Toronto, was kllled by coyotes will hiking in the Cape Breton Highlands...

Taylor was just starting out as a singer/songwriter. She was to perform in Halifax last eve..

Juliet :(

PS Pagemeister..can you find an article about this tragedy and post it? Thank-you

Edited by Juliet

With great sadness, I report that, TAYLOR MITCHELL 19 of Toronto, was kllled by coyotes will hiking in the Cape Breton Highlands...

Taylor was just starting out as a singer/songwriter. She was to perform in Halifax last eve..

Juliet :(

PS Pagemeister..can you find an article about this tragedy and post it? Thank-you

Here's the link to the cbc's article - has links to tv and radio reports also

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2009/10/28/ns-coyote-attack-died.html

Hi:

I need to correct an error re. Prince Charles and Camilla's visit..they are here for an 11 day visit;therefore,not leaving on Nov 11...sorry

I understand they want to pet the coyotes....

:)

Okay, let's talk Molsons for a minute. They are now American owned and I haven't purchase any product (since the sale), whatsoever. I am not anti-American in the least but I try to keep my money within my own borders - same as American food chains, nope. There is so many great little local restaurants around that offer a great food at a great price so I seek those and give them my business. Anyone who ever visits Toronto let me know and I will compile a list of these great little places....

I still can't give up Starbucks though, tough to do BUT there is a little place in the beaches that I'll give business, over Starbucks - when I'm there :)

Edited by Ronniedawg

I understand they want to pet the coyotes....

:)

Okay, let's talk Molsons for a minute. They are now American owned and I haven't purchase any product (since the sale), whatsoever. I am not anti-American in the least but I try to keep my money within my own borders - same as American food chains, nope. There is so many great little local restaurants around that offer a great food at a great price so I seek those and give them my business. Anyone who ever visits Toronto let me know and I will compile a list of these great little places....

I still can't give up Starbucks though, tough to do BUT there is a little place in the beaches that I'll give business, over Starbucks - when I'm there :)

Starbucks is a daily ritual for me on a work day. Used to be Horton's but I've found their coffee has taken a slide in the last year. Not sure why but I love my coffee and don't feel like compromising. However like you RD, I tend to support the little guy whenever I can. Like so many of my co workers I've come across some great little mom and pops over the years and have gotten to know many of the owners and staff on a first name basis. Sometimes I'm rather rushed when I visit but, most of those places will allow me to phone ahead and have my order ready when I get there. Many will also let regulars run a tab which get's paid at the end of the week. I don't expect that courtesy but it's sure nice when it comes. It reminds me of when I was a kid and when most of the locals supported

the little guy. They supported us too.

Starbucks is a daily ritual for me on a work day. Used to be Horton's but I've found their coffee has taken a slide in the last year. Not sure why but I love my coffee and don't feel like compromising.

I used to wave the Starbucks flag, but for some reason over the last year I'm not impressed with the coffee anymore. Not sure why. Maybe it's just the local one near me that doesn't make it as good. But I am anxiously waiting for the Christmas specials to come out. I'll take a Gingerbread Latte now please & thank you. ;)

Now as far as Tim Horton's goes... I started my work day this morning without it - and I just ain't the same. :blink:

Starbucks is a daily ritual for me on a work day. Used to be Horton's but I've found their coffee has taken a slide in the last year. Not sure why but I love my coffee and don't feel like compromising. However like you RD, I tend to support the little guy whenever I can. Like so many of my co workers I've come across some great little mom and pops over the years and have gotten to know many of the owners and staff on a first name basis. Sometimes I'm rather rushed when I visit but, most of those places will allow me to phone ahead and have my order ready when I get there. Many will also let regulars run a tab which get's paid at the end of the week. I don't expect that courtesy but it's sure nice when it comes. It reminds me of when I was a kid and when most of the locals supported

the little guy. They supported us too.

Ally, I enjoy a full bodied coffee and Tim's just doesn't do it for me. I take my coffe black, no sugar (cos I'm sweet enough), grab a lid, smile at the girl on her laptop (probably Facebook), and get out of there! Have you had Starbucks "Big Gay Pretzels"? Chocolate covered pretzels with caramel inside? Story behind the big gay pretzel :)

One time I took a train to visit friends who live a northern Ontario town. I fell asleep on the train and when I woke up, I had no idea where I was. When I left there was a Home Depot, a Staples, a Winners, an Indigo, a mall. When I woke up there was a Home Depot, a Staples, a Winner, an Indigo, a mall. Towns are really losing their distinct features, and local bookstores, grocery stores, hardware stores, etc., are going belly up because they can't compete with the chains. I'm not against the big chains, but I think there's a lot to be said for real community bonds that go beyond defining neighbours as consumers. We're not friendly with any of the neighbours around - new subdivisions often have that distant feel. Older neighbourhoods tend to have people with more things in common than being able to afford to live there.

I wish there could be a better balance struck between maintaining character and keeping up with the times. My town has all sorts of bylaws to protect the historic sites, and there are other laws that prohibit buildings being built above a certain height, but while these help the old part of town, they don't seem to do much for the newer parts. It sort of feels like two different towns, really. Not really integrated that well...

Ally, I enjoy a full bodied coffee and Tim's just doesn't do it for me. I take my coffe black, no sugar (cos I'm sweet enough), grab a lid, smile at the girl on her laptop (probably Facebook), and get out of there! Have you had Starbucks "Big Gay Pretzels"? Chocolate covered pretzels with caramel inside? Story behind the big gay pretzel :)

I'll bet there's a story RD :D Let's hear it !

I'm like my coffee full bodied as well and usually order a Grande Sumatra. Once in a while I'll treat myself to something a little more exotic. Loved the pumpkin spiced Latte that was around for Halloween.

Roxie, it's just the opposite around here. Timmy's coffee has lost something but I occasionally go there for a late night steeped tea.

Roxie, it's just the opposite around here. Timmy's coffee has lost something but I occasionally go there for a late night steeped tea.

It doesn't surprise me the Starbucks is better in B.C. The first time I ever had Starbucks was in Vancouver. Was hooked after that.

One time I took a train to visit friends who live a northern Ontario town. I fell asleep on the train and when I woke up, I had no idea where I was. When I left there was a Home Depot, a Staples, a Winners, an Indigo, a mall. When I woke up there was a Home Depot, a Staples, a Winner, an Indigo, a mall. Towns are really losing their distinct features, and local bookstores, grocery stores, hardware stores, etc., are going belly up because they can't compete with the chains. I'm not against the big chains, but I think there's a lot to be said for real community bonds that go beyond defining neighbours as consumers. We're not friendly with any of the neighbours around - new subdivisions often have that distant feel. Older neighbourhoods tend to have people with more things in common than being able to afford to live there.

I wish there could be a better balance struck between maintaining character and keeping up with the times. My town has all sorts of bylaws to protect the historic sites, and there are other laws that prohibit buildings being built above a certain height, but while these help the old part of town, they don't seem to do much for the newer parts. It sort of feels like two different towns, really. Not really integrated that well...

I know exactly what you mean Pat. My wife and I grew up in the city and moved to the burbs in 87. Still haven't gotten used to not being able to walk down the street to do our shopping, go out for dinner etc ! The saving grace is that both of us work in the city and neither of us have lost that sense of being part of it. The burbs have their advantages but tbh, most of those advantages are tempered by the fact that you pretty much have to drive everywhere to do things . Even going to the pub or out for dinner is a hassel. I've got one local boozer that I can realistically walk to. When we lived in the city, you could take your pick and if you had to travel a little further, you could hop on a bus and be there in no time. I'm probably making it sound all bad. It's not but as they say, you can take the person out of the city but you can't take the city out of the person. Just wish I could afford to live in it :lol:

It doesn't surprise me the Starbucks is better in B.C. The first time I ever had Starbucks was in Vancouver. Was hooked after that.

It could just be the locations that I've hit recently too. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't say no to a Tims but if I have a choice then it will be a Starbucks. It doesn't hurt that they are on just about every corner in Vancouver either :lol:

I know exactly what you mean Pat. My wife and I grew up in the city and moved to the burbs in 87. Still haven't gotten used to not being able to walk down the street to do our shopping, go out for dinner etc ! The saving grace is that both of us work in the city and neither of us have lost that sense of being part of it. The burbs have their advantages but tbh, most of those advantages are tempered by the fact that you pretty much have to drive everywhere to do things . Even going to the pub or out for dinner is a hassel. I've got one local boozer that I can realistically walk to. When we lived in the city, you could take your pick and if you had to travel a little further, you could hop on a bus and be there in no time. I'm probably making it sound all bad. It's not but as they say, you can take the person out of the city but you can't take the city out of the person. Just wish I could afford to live in it :lol:

It's odd isn't it that it's the cities that are more distinct than local towns outside of them. I'm sure Vancouver like Toronto has distinct neighbourhoods-Chinatown, Little Italy, Greek area, etc., with nice blends of old and new. Somehow they make it work. I don't really get why towns can't, but I have a feeling that it has a lot more to do with profit than with anything else that gets considered. Most people don't work in the places they live either, and that's a strong indication of imbalance. Getting delivery just doesn't seem to make up for things not being nearby, does it? It's no wonder then that people who live in the burbs go elsewhere for most other things that have some pulse to it. It's not all that bad as you say - guess it just depends on whether where you live suits your needs. Otherwise, people with things in common all congregate in forums - :thumbsup:

It's odd isn't it that it's the cities that are more distinct than local towns outside of them. I'm sure Vancouver like Toronto has distinct neighbourhoods-Chinatown, Little Italy, Greek area, etc., with nice blends of old and new. Somehow they make it work. I don't really get why towns can't, but I have a feeling that it has a lot more to do with profit than with anything else that gets considered. Most people don't work in the places they live either, and that's a strong indication of imbalance. Getting delivery just doesn't seem to make up for things not being nearby, does it? It's no wonder then that people who live in the burbs go elsewhere for most other things that have some pulse to it. It's not all that bad as you say - guess it just depends on whether where you live suits your needs. Otherwise, people with things in common all congregate in forums - :thumbsup:

Ha, you could be right about the forum thing Pat . Common interests indeed !

I think your comment about not working where we live is spot on ! Outside of the part time jobs that my son's had while growing up, they don't work where they live either.

Mind you, back in the late 70's when the burbs started to be come populated, there was very little foresight when it came to planning and infrastructure. People were looking for affordable homes and municipalities where handing out building permits like there was no tomorrow. Because of this poor planning and lack of foresight on the part of us buyers we ended up with houses everywhere but no conveniences. Trying to rectify that is high on everyones priority list but so far, it's proved fruitless. Newly constructed sustainable communities are now more the norm than the exception out here but you have to move much further out if you want to live in one