Oh CANADA!

ZoSoDragon

Ally:

:lol:

Juliet :coffee:

PS Mangani and Big Dan..I love your posts....I take my logon name from one of Shakespeare's female characters as a tribute to the bard..my real heritage is British ...On the CBC last Thursday there was a debate about changing Canada to a republic...it would seriously affect almost everything in our laws and parliamentary system..it was a fascinating debate/history/political science lesson..The show is called AT ISSUE ..it happens every Thusday..there are three debaters..including a female journalist from Quebec..

Ally:

PS Mangani and Big Dan..I love your posts....I take my logon name from one of Shakespeare's female characters as a tribute to the bard..my real heritage is British ...On the CBC last Thursday there was a debate about changing Canada to a republic...it would seriously affect almost everything in our laws and parliamentary system..it was a fascinating debate/history/political science lesson..The show is called AT ISSUE ..it happens every Thusday..there are three debaters..including a female journalist from Quebec..

I watch that show as often as I can Juliet. Peter Mansbidge is a brilliant news person and a great mod for the debate. I never fail to learn something watching it. Different perspectives on serious issues from a pretty level headed panel.

Our parliamentary system does not need to be replaced. We do need some electoral reform but what democratic system in the world doesn't. Sorry, when I hear calls for replacing it I smell a rat and, an agenda that is designed to make a few people rich.

"Arses kicked but conveniently forget why they got their arses kicked"

Yes indeed and we will do it again if we have to, and no offence Charles......

Well, I can honestly agree with you to some point Mangani but facts are facts, in reference to your so-called "bastardization" of history. My family nested in Newcastle England - were sent down by our overlords to protect the shipping lane and hang around the wall - we killed a few Romans within that time I'm sure (as well as a few of our own (another story that I'll share later on). Do a few lingering Romans resent that time period I wonder.....??

Freekin Scots killed some of my family....and pee'd on our wall.....

Mel is a jew hating, drink driving, religious nutcase, kinda guy but I assure you he wasn't wearing his kilt when it all happened for him :)

Hi Big Dan , Mangani :wave:

I happen to agree with what both of you are saying but in fairness to Ronniedawg, I think that he was basically saying the same thing with his referrence to Braveheart. It's all in the past and everyone has history that is less than flattering but to continuely use that ancient history to fuel hatred is just stupid and counter productive. At somepoint, any viable society needs to move forward. Ulster would be a good case in point but so would many other countries around the world. Canada nor Quebec itself need or want sectarianism. Canada is a diverse society that is made up of people who have chosen to move forward and leave those old hatreds behind. Outside of the separatists, nobody is interested in fuelling those old way's. Political reform is a seperate issue. That is something that needs to happen but it doesn't need to be done by the sword. At least, not in Canada

Hi Ally,

Thanks for clearing that up, i had no idea i was having a go at Ronniedawg, really, sorry Ronnie, i was more interested in COs views on seperateism, to break up in too smaller pieces is to become weaker in my view.

But if anyone should have soverignity over Quebec then maybe the Frogs should all go back to France and leave Quebec to be governed by its first conqurers, the Red Skins, well it was theirs first wasnt it? it seems only fair doesnt it? and Quebec even takes its name from an Indian word, "kébec" meaning "where the river narrows", or didnt that enter into anybodys head, only thinking of yourselves, shame on you for being so selfish. :lol:

I have many relatives in Canada, Australia and New Zealand, and i would love to see England along with Scotland, Ireland and Wales, throw off the yoke of this European Union and get back together with our Colonial Brothers, not to rule them but to rule with them as equals, in one big English Speaking Confederation, yea and i'll even let the US come in and Chair all the meetings. Now that would be something to see, something worth dying for, but alas its only a pipe dream of mine, it will never happen and the English Speaking World will be eclipsed by one that speaks Mandarin, i can see it now, a laundry or a take away on every street corner. :lol:

Regards, Danny

So much to say, so little time to do it so I'll place my views in a nutshell for everyone; Quebec isn't going anywhere, the rest of Canada now has a voice and the rest of Canada won't let it happen.

You would be correct Babs...lol.

Btw friends; a healthy debate is just that, healthy and this one could get somewhat intersting as well :)

"Arses kicked but conveniently forget why they got their arses kicked"

Yes indeed and we will do it again if we have to, and no offence Charles......

Well, I can honestly agree with you to some point Mangani but facts are facts, in reference to your so-called "bastardization" of history. My family nested in Newcastle England - were sent down by our overlords to protect the shipping lane and hang around the wall - we killed a few Romans within that time I'm sure (as well as a few of our own (another story that I'll share later on). Do a few lingering Romans resent that time period I wonder.....??

Freekin Scots killed some of my family....and pee'd on our wall.....

Hehe, good one mate.

Forget what I said earlier. You're ok. :)

Mel is a jew hating, drink driving, religious nutcase, kinda guy but I assure you he wasn't wearing his kilt when it all happened for him :)

Hehe this is what should be done to Mel Gibson. Big Dan will like this too: :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RCvdm8-vTM&feature=related

Ally:

Hey Mangani and BigDan:

You didn't respond to my post...Do I offend you that I chose one of Shakespeare's tragic female characters as my logon name?

Juliet :wave:

Edited by Juliet

Well slap me round the face with William Wallace's sweaty sporran!! I do wholeheartedly apologize to you Juliet! :slapface:

Thank you very much for your sweet reply. I appreciate the nice words. As for what you Canadians wish to do with your future well I will support you fine folks whatever you decide. It's your business after all and the majority wins. Same with Australia. No doubt in time when both countries have even further history between being a British colony and being their own independant nations, you will find yourself eventually becoming a Republics. LOL, probably as soon as Prince Charles take over the monarchy. B)

So much to say, so little time to do it so I'll place my views in a nutshell for everyone; Quebec isn't going anywhere, the rest of Canada now has a voice and the rest of Canada won't let it happen.

You would be correct Babs...lol.

Btw friends; a healthy debate is just that, healthy and this one could get somewhat intersting as well :)

Sorry RD ! Wasn't presuming I could speak for you. I took your Braveheart comments figuratively and it fit with the conversation :wave:

Hey Mangani and BigDan:

You didn't respond to my post...Do I offend you that I chose one of Shakespeare's tragic female characters as my logon name?

Juliet :wave:

Hi Juliet,

So sorry, no offence from you, but i have no time for Shakespeare after the way he trashed Richard III, just to get in with the Tudors, and what abunch of no good bastards they turned out to be hey? :lol:

I dont think i can get CBC so i wont be able to see the show. :(

Glad you liked the debate, please fell free to chip in and disgrace yourself like the rest of us.:lol:

Regards, Danny

Hi Juliet,

So sorry, no offence from you, but i have no time for Shakespeare after the way he trashed Richard III, just to get in with the Tudors, and what abunch of no good bastards they turned out to be hey? :lol:

I dont think i can get CBC so i wont be able to see the show. :(

Glad you liked the debate, please fell free to chip in and disgrace yourself like the rest of us.:lol:

Regards, Danny

But Danny, that was par for the course back in the day. Even the chroniclers polished up the ancestors of whoever was in power at the time. Keep in mind that a - Shakespeare's patron was the monarch* b - all plays had to pass the censors c - the monarch could chop your head of if it so pleased them. Pretty big stakes. All playwrights did it (well Kit Marlowe went against the grain. But then he did find himself quite dead after an innocent visit to a beer inn, so there you go.) Was it right? Probably not, but Shakespeare's concerns of writing plays that put asses in seats and keeping his head on his shoulders took precedence. You'd really dismiss all he has contributed over RIII's portrayal then?

EDITED to add *this came in 1603, but still, being part of Lord Chamberlain's Men (founded during QE I's reign) put a particular focus on an already public career.

Edited by Patrycja

But Danny, that was par for the course back in the day. Even the chroniclers polished up the ancestors of whoever was in power at the time. Keep in mind that a - Shakespeare's patron was the monarch* b - all plays had to pass the censors c - the monarch could chop your head of if it so pleased them. Pretty big stakes. All playwrights did it (well Kit Marlowe went against the grain. But then he did find himself quite dead after an innocent visit to a beer inn, so there you go.) Was it right? Probably not, but Shakespeare's concerns of writing plays that put asses in seats and keeping his head on his shoulders took precedence. You'd really dismiss all he has contributed over RIII's portrayal then?

EDITED to add *this came in 1603, but still, being part of Lord Chamberlain's Men (founded during QE I's reign) put a particular focus on an already public career.

Hi Patrycja, so what are you saying? Shakespeare was an arselicking coward then? :lol:

I was just joshing, you should have had an inkling by my use of this, :lol:;).

Many years ago i read an Irish autobiography of Richard III called "Dick Shit" (Richard the Turd) and he came out as a very different kinda guy from the one Shakespeare portrayed, a family man who loved children and horses, no hunch and and the last of our PLANTagenet Kings, a must read for all Zeppelin and RP fanatics. :D

Now the question you asked,

"You'd really dismiss all he has contributed over RIII's portrayal then?"

Well my answer would be "No" he did write some good stuff, i even have his videos of Richard III and Henry V in my collection, i just love they way Olivier plays them, one of my favourite actors of all time.

But I still dont get along with Shakespeare's writings, but i do have all his video's. :thumbsup:

Regards, Danny

Hi Patrycja, so what are you saying? Shakespeare was an arselicking coward then? :lol:

I was just joshing, you should have had an inkling by my use of this, :lol: ;).

Many years ago i read an Irish autobiography of Richard III called "Dick Shit" (Richard the Turd) and he came out as a very different kinda guy from the one Shakespeare portrayed, a family man who loved children and horses, no hunch and and the last of our PLANTagenet Kings, a must read for all Zeppelin and RP fanatics. :D

Now the question you asked,

"You'd really dismiss all he has contributed over RIII's portrayal then?"

Well my answer would be "No" he did write some good stuff, i even have his videos of Richard III and Henry V in my collection, i just love they way Olivier plays them, one of my favourite actors of all time.

But I still dont get along with Shakespeare's writings, but i do have all his video's. :thumbsup:

Regards, Danny

Oh. Well then. Right. Nevermind :lol: . I thought you were just lightly conveying your disgust for the Tudors. I thought they were on your rather extensive list :D Besides, any chance I get to talk Bard I get in there. Olivier's awesome. Ever see any live theatre, Danny, or are you more into the videos?

Yeah, Shakespeare actually attributed a murder to RIII in the play that occurred when the real RIII was three years old. So he was either the most evil three year old ever or some creative license was surely taken. PLANTagenets ;) cute.

SO to bring this back to thread purpose, Master Will is one of the many - and my favourite - exports. If we ever get rid of the ties to the monarchy (which I don't want, and don't see happening, necessary changes to parliament notwithstanding) surely the other ties that bind will be around.

Oh. Well then. Right. Nevermind :lol: . I thought you were just lightly conveying your disgust for the Tudors. I thought they were on your rather extensive list :D Besides, any chance I get to talk Bard I get in there. Olivier's awesome. Ever see any live theatre, Danny, or are you more into the videos?

Yeah, Shakespeare actually attributed a murder to RIII in the play that occurred when the real RIII was three years old. So he was either the most evil three year old ever or some creative license was surely taken. PLANTagenets ;) cute.

SO to bring this back to thread purpose, Master Will is one of the many - and my favourite - exports. If we ever get rid of the ties to the monarchy (which I don't want, and don't see happening, necessary changes to parliament notwithstanding) surely the other ties that bind will be around.

Hi Patrycja,

You are correct, i have no love of the Tudors, but i do i have a deep fondness for the Middle Ages, but the Renaissance that came about with Henry VIII leaves me cold, the chivlary has gone to be replaced with what? Culture!!! Where my interests stop i know yours begin.

I have been witness to the rebuilding of the Globe Theatre on Londons Southbank but alas i have never been inside, i am rather an uncultured oaf when i comes to Shakespeare, more's the pity, but you have me right again when ask if i watch the videos, which i do and i love them all, even if i dont understand them as much as i should.

And yes again i must agree with you again, there is more to tie us together than to break us apart. I was brought up in a family that actually hated being called English, my grandfather was a 3rd generation Irish Catholic, named George and was born on Orangemans day, he was not too pleased with that, but English i am, not too proud though but i will always support my country unless she deserves not to be.

I have only good things to say about Canada, excepting the Seal hunt.

Kind Regards, Danny "Dziękuję"

PS, you have a PM from me unanswered, no big deal but if you have forgotten about it i can resend it?

Hi Patrycja,

You are correct, i have no love of the Tudors, but i do i have a deep fondness for the Middle Ages, but the Renaissance that came about with Henry VIII leaves me cold, the chivlary has gone to be replaced with what? Culture!!! Where my interests stop i know yours begin.

I have been witness to the rebuilding of the Globe Theatre on Londons Southbank but alas i have never been inside, i am rather an uncultured oaf when i comes to Shakespeare, more's the pity, but you have me right again when ask if i watch the videos, which i do and i love them all, even if i dont understand them as much as i should.

And yes again i must agree with you again, there is more to tie us together than to break us apart. I was brought up in a family that actually hated being called English, my grandfather was a 3rd generation Irish Catholic, named George and was born on Orangemans day, he was not too pleased with that, but English i am, not too proud though but i will always support my country unless she deserves not to be.

PS, you have a PM from me unanswered, no big deal but if you have forgotten about it i can resend it?

Hey BIGDAN!

How are you this evening?

I regret not going to the Globe Theatre when I was in London in August. I wanted to see "As You Like It", my favorite Shakespeare play. But the only opportunity to see that play was on the Friday afternoon that we arrived in England and we were too jet-lagged to rush to see it at 2PM. I did get a glimpse of the Globe from our cruise on the River Thames the following night. And we did not see any plays when we visited Stratford-Upon-Avon, although we did visit "The Bard's" birthplace there.

Rock on Forever smile.gif

BUCK'EYE' DOC

Hi Patrycja,

To start with the most important first, yikes :blush: ! If you don't get a response by tomorrow night you can shoot me with one of those giant medieval crossbows (saw one at Caernarfon Castle in Wales...scaary!). Just in the middle of some work prep but I will respond :) (I still have it, so no worries)

I toured that theatre when they were still building it. Got a splinter in my ass for my effort! Would love to see an actual play there...maybe one of these days.... And as for the language of the plays, well, if it wasn't for the modern translations of archaic words, very many more wouldn't get it either. They sure help me a lot.

Henry VIII - he sure stirred up some trouble, didn't he? Liz Taylor's marital idol. And then there was his daughter, Mary - eeeeesh! The drink named for her creative and extensive punishments of Protestants is a muted, tasty reminder of rampant treachery in the name of power and religion (your other favourite). QE I bringing the Golden Age! was in large part due to stability she brought (not to mention some very deft politicking on her part)

Yeah, the seal hunt *sigh*. The one thing that could make you tolerate listening to McCartney's ex talk about.

Talk to you soon, Danny :wave:

Hey BIGDAN!

How are you this evening?

I regret not going to the Globe Theatre when I was in London in August. I wanted to see "As You Like It", my favorite Shakespeare play. But the only opportunity to see that play was on the Friday afternoon that we arrived in England and we were too jet-lagged to rush to see it at 2PM. I did get a glimpse of the Globe from our cruise on the River Thames the following night. And we did not see any plays when we visited Stratford-Upon-Avon, although we did visit "The Bard's" birthplace there.

Rock on Forever smile.gif

BUCK'EYE' DOC

Hi Doc, thanks i'm fine, and you?

Shame you didnt get to see the play, but being Jet lagged is a poor excuse. :lol:

I feel mighty rearanged with all these learned Shakespeare enthusiasts, as for his real persona, i have read that he was actually Edward DeVere Earl of Oxford, and his family lived in Castle Hedingham Essex, i have visited that site and i really fell in love with it, the parties you could have in that castle would be unbelievable

Kind Regards, Danny

http://www.shakespeare-oxford.com/

http://www.hedinghamcastle.co.uk/

To start with the most important first, yikes :blush: ! If you don't get a response by tomorrow night you can shoot me with one of those giant medieval crossbows (saw one at Caernarfon Castle in Wales...scaary!). Just in the middle of some work prep but I will respond :) (I still have it, so no worries)

I toured that theatre when they were still building it. Got a splinter in my ass for my effort! Would love to see an actual play there...maybe one of these days.... And as for the language of the plays, well, if it wasn't for the modern translations of archaic words, very many more wouldn't get it either. They sure help me a lot.

Henry VIII - he sure stirred up some trouble, didn't he? Liz Taylor's marital idol. And then there was his daughter, Mary - eeeeesh! The drink named for her creative and extensive punishments of Protestants is a muted, tasty reminder of rampant treachery in the name of power and religion (your other favourite). QE I bringing the Golden Age! was in large part due to stability she brought (not to mention some very deft politicking on her part)

Yeah, the seal hunt *sigh*. The one thing that could make you tolerate listening to McCartney's ex talk about.

Talk to you soon, Danny :wave:

Hi Patrycja,

Yea I know what you mean about the crossbow, i'm too much of a gentleman to shoot you though, i'm more in to rescuing damsels in distress whether they want rescuing or not. :o

I do think that the Tudors get so much bad press because of the amount of knowledge we have of them compared to earlier times, lets face it the Middle Ages were hardly what you would call nice times were they?

Henry VIII, a real nasty piece of work when he got old and grumpy, but still he can at least be remembered for keeping the old hatred for the French alive. :lol:

Elizabeth I, Yea she might get credit for first monarch to putt the Great in to Britain, except Britain didnt exist untill 1701 with the union with Scotland under Queen Anne (another jock) who also introduced two party politics in to England. Liz also got us involved with the Spanish and gave us another country to hate, thanks Liz.:lol:

I could never tolerate "Heather" that name reminds me too much of Scotland to make that a pleasure. :lol: No seriously Pat i dislike "Heather" as much as i hate Jordan, Posh Spice, and all celebrities, but Kylie is a Goddess to me. :blush:

Kind Regards, Danny

Hi Doc, thanks i'm fine, and you?

Shame you didnt get to see the play, but being Jet lagged is a poor excuse. laugh.gif

I feel mighty rearanged with all these learned Shakespeare enthusiasts, as for his real persona, i have read that he was actually Edward DeVere Earl of Oxford, and his family lived in Castle Hedingham Essex, i have visited that site and i really fell in love with it, the parties you could have in that castle would be unbelievable

Kind Regards, Danny

http://www.shakespeare-oxford.com/

http://www.hedinghamcastle.co.uk/

I am doing great tonight.

There has always been the debate about who William Shakespeare really was and if he was the author of the plays, or was it someone else, such as Ben Jonson.

http://www.luminariu...nson/benbio.htm

I visited a castle in Ireland last year, between Galway and The Burren, that looked alot like your party castle, lol. It was Dunguaire Castle. Here is a picture of it:

DSC00920-1.jpg

Edited by BUCK'EYE' DOC

Hello:

I posted this much earlier in this thread or the theatre thread..The Stratford Festival in Stratford Ontario was in crisis but after a major advertising campaign to promote this season they were able to stay afloat..

http://www.stratfordfestival.ca/

PS GREAT NEWS....Acclaimed actor, Christopher Plummer, will be returning next season

Edited by Juliet

I've donned my kilt and heading to Montreal to conquer the French once in for all....then have pints with Charles to discuss the official surrender!

Roxie's coming with me cos I do need a fair maiden....and someone to operate the coconuts, she found them :)

I've donned my kilt and heading to Montreal to conquer the French once in for all....then have pints with Charles to discuss the official surrender!

Roxie's coming with me cos I do need a fair maiden....and someone to operate the coconuts, she found them :)

:lol: You might find an army of the willing along the way RD. I'd go but you've got a 4000km head start !