Oh CANADA!

ZoSoDragon

Over the week, I have heard that the kind of van they were using is going to be banned by some schools...

I heard that the Miinister of Education in Nova Scotia has banned them while the investigation is going on. There is also a school in Kitchener who will not be using them.

I had a job @ 20 years ago where I had to transport people in a 12-15 passenger van. I had to have a Class F licence. To get this licence you had to have a very strict road and writtten test, as well as, an eye test and check-up including questions about drug and alcohol consumption.

Juliet

Hi ICQYB:

...I suggest you write to your congressman with your complaints...

..There will be an election in Canada within the next two years...hopefully much sooner....hard to say if there will be many changes with border procedures if there is a change in government...

Juliet

Tell all of your henchmen at the fucking borders to loosen up with their bullshit tactics of keeping us

americans out of the country. They are being outrageous with going back 20 yrs to see if you stole a fucking candy bar when you were 12 and using it as an excuse to keep us out. Post 9/11 jitters I realize but way too exteme. But its ok for you canadiens to buy up all the property in Florida you can get your hands on isnt it?

Phoenix 6 Buffalo 2

Tell all of your henchmen at the fucking borders to loosen up with their bullshit tactics of keeping us

americans out of the country. They are being outrageous with going back 20 yrs to see if you stole a fucking candy bar when you were 12 and using it as an excuse to keep us out. Post 9/11 jitters I realize but way too exteme. But its ok for you canadiens to buy up all the property in Florida you can get your hands on isnt it?

I guess you shouldn't of stole the candy bar.

It goes both ways. It can be pretty tough going across the border into the States at the Detroit border. They can be A-holes. They had me taking of my jacket and emptying my pockets a couple years ago.

On the other hand, they're making it harder to enter Detroit.

It probably works in your favor. :P

Well, you are supposed to be the richest country in the world so why don't you buy the land back? EH?

Seriously, the border stuff is all about guns. Handgun crime has gone sky-high, especially in Toronto. The vast majority of illegal handguns are being smuggled accross the border from the states. Canadians, in general, do NOT share the love affair with guns that Americans do but the gang members love them.

p.s. Try being a non-American and try getting into the States these day's. Our border guards are a bunch of Richie Cunninghams compared to yours.

I am with you. I don't like the Montreal Canadiens either. Them and their Guy Lafleur and Larry Robinson. You can have them.

habs_usa.gif

canadiens%20suck.jpg

:P

Joelman...go to a lawyer and if you've been a good boy since then get your record erased :) Easy peasy! I'm just guessin' that they wouldn't let you in because they didn't want the competition ;)

They're just protecting their National Drug ... Beer !

When I applied for a home loan, there was an credit card write off $1600 on the Credit Report.

Upon Investigating.... the write off amount was $16.00, which I had to write a check for at closing. No telling how long that had been on my credit report, as I closed the account 15 years earlier. I knew the $1600 was impossible, as the Macy's card only had a $250 limit on it when I got the card.

Edited by The Rover

At one time or another I'm sure a few of us have had trouble with the boarder in both directions. As someone who visits the States frequently I'd have to say that 99% of the time I don't have a problem going in either direction. If you've got the necessary paperwork and have nothing to hide then it's usually not a problem. I, to be honest expect to be questioned when entering the USA. I'm the visitor so, I take it to be a given. Unfortunately, like it or not, 911 has changed things. All of us have to apply a little common sense when travelling these day's. Don't take it personally. I've got many American friends and I wouldn't dream of bashing them for any problem I may have at their boarder. They don't bash me if they encounter a problem on their visits to Canada.

Anyway's come back and enjoy some real Canadian hospitality :)

Angel,

My initial problem was in '85. The records WERE expunged. I was NOT prosecuted for my pot smuggling.

What the FBI had was the inital arrest, it happened at the Miami airport in CUSTOMS, and the charges. The STATE took it over as their concern, not the FEDS. They 'let it go'....I had NO FINE...no jail or prosection. The records were expunged !

So...when the border agents DID look me up..they had what the FBI had...arrest and charges..NOT THE DISPOSITION.

I DID contact a lawyer in Florida...he happened to have worked FOR the DA in Miami during his career. He said he's find it and clear up my fiasco....HE COULDN'T find it...somehow..other than it being expuged...(sealed)...there was NO evidence of it ANYWHERE ! Not Dade County, not the State legal archives. He couldn't DO anything...:(

So...the FBI continues to have my arrest/charges info (which is 10 times wrong...48 lbs. !! vs. the actual 48 ounces of pot)...and I can't get that cleared ! They can't get into my original files..cause they can't be found !

So I don't even know if I could get a passport. No one seems to have my 'cleared' record. The border agents don't know if I was convicted or not..or whether I served time or not....NONE of that happened...and I can't prove it...I didn't keep the paperwork...I trashed it...thinking, it was expunged...GONE !! So I treated it that way....

I still say...so WHAT ! I thought Canada was fairly liberal. And if fact, maybe areas are. But they treated me BAD....They demeaned me...showed me NO respect.

And NO..I won't buy into the 9-11 paranoia. If I was in anyway seen as a violent threat..a terrorist threat...OK...SURE....9-11 notwithstanding....but this was over POT !! Big fuckin' deal !!!

They have MUCH worse things to apply scrutiny too...

That in itself doesnt' give me a bitter taste toward Canada...I loved it while I was there...even in the trauma I DID have inside the country....THAT is another story...that WAS conveyed on the old board...had it's own thread. I encountered police IN Ontario...and they were perfect gentlemen to me..and were very respectful....in a somewhat...tense situation. NO guns were brandished...no banging down doors...that WOULD have occured here in the US for my same 'situation/scenario'.....

So Hats off to the 'local Ontario police'...but the border agents were REALLY UNKIND to me...

Joel..... I was denied entry to the States in June 72 while on my way to Seattle to see Zeppelin. I had Tix and enough money so as not to be charged with vagrency. No record, not even a parking ticket. I happened to encounter a jerk. That's all....a jerk. Had to walk back to Canada Customs and encountered ...another jerk.. Now to put that into perspective, imagine having tix for 02 and not being allowed to go because you happened to be the 9th caller...so to speak, and then not being able to get back home because... some jerk want's to know why you didn't go to the show...Now that's a PISS OFF :D

I understand..believe me.

The border agents are given full control to allow or deny entry. They don't even have to consult a higher up. They can decide to not let you in...on their own human feelings...intangibles !

After my friend was denied entry into the US...then I had to turn around to give her a ride home, the Canadians denied me re-entry. I was caught in a no-man's land too....

After being denied...I came back to the US side...again...it was a circle game.

Being held one more time for them to check me out...after my friend and I had just undergone 3 hours of scrutiny....they finally let me back INTO the US. I'm an American citizen.

Anyway..while I was being processed the 2nd time...another agent came out to ask me what was going on...SHE was very cool..not the one who interogated my friend and I. I told her what was going on...she'd seen our 3 hour dilemma. I asked her....DO those agents that hassled us have daughters ? She said yes. That's when I knew what is was all about. See..the girl was young, LEGAL mind you, but young. They didn't like the fact that I was 30 years older than her..and they put their OWN personal dislike into the equation and denied her entry.....It WAS PERSONAL...not PROFESSIONAL....and this had NOTHING to do with my pot bust...the US border NEVER brought that situation into her denied entry to the US.

It was a fiasco !

Yeah I see, but as I said earlier.Shit happens and my experiece all those years ago has not stopped me from going to the States and enjoying the hospitality that I recieve when I'm down there. Likewise,I hope your experience doesn't sway your opinion of Canada as a whole. Cheers :)

Oh..I'd said previously...it didn't hamper my enjoyment while in Canada....but I seriously doubt they'll ever let me back in....unless they just decide my pot bust was no big deal...and FIX the 48 pound ELEPHANT in the room !!!! geez !

They photo'd me and had me sign all kinds of 'problematic' paperwork...I'm branded.

That's too bad man. Truly sorry