Run DMC, Metallica vie for entry into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

The Pagemeister

Rap pioneers Run DMC, metal icons Metallica and punk stalwarts the Stooges are among the latest batch of nominees to vie for a place in Cleveland's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The foundation behind the annual honour announced on Monday a list of nine finalists for the upcoming induction ceremony.

Also in the running are:

* Guitarist Jeff Beck, already inducted into the Hall in 1992 as a member of the Yardbirds.

* Rockabilly singer Wanda Jackson.

* Doo-wop group Little Anthony and the Imperials.

* Funk ensemble War.

* Soul singer-songwriter Bobby Womack.

* Disco and funk band Chic.

More than 500 musicians, music journalists and industry representatives will vote on who will join the U.S. musical institution and be featured in an exhibit at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland.

Organizers will announce the five acts that make the cut in January.

After years of hosting the induction ceremony in New York, the festivities return to Cleveland on April 4, 2009. Tickets to the gala, which typically includes performances and tributes from high profile fans, will also be made available to the public.

Musical acts become eligible to join the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25 years after the release of their first single or album. The most recent slate of inductees included Leonard Cohen, Madonna, John Mellencamp and The Dave Clark Five.

I think it'd be great if Metallica didn't make it due to Jethro Tull getting in instead.

:lol:

What about Rush???

There was an article on Yahoo that mentioned how so many bands like Rush, Alice Cooper, Kiss etc have yet to be recognized. I can't believe they haven't been nominated yet. The article also mentioned how Bon Jovi is eligible this year. I can't get over they've been around 25 years already.

<_<

You can't tell me that Disco-Stu and Run ABC or whoever the fuck it is deserve to get in before Grand Funk Railroad and/or Jethro Tull. Ridiculous.

Grand Funk Railroad should be in. But Jethro Tull fuckin sucks.

What about Rush, Genesis, Paul Butterfield, Yes, Deep Purple, and Thin Lizzy?

Grand Funk Railroad should be in. But Jethro Tull fuckin sucks.

That may be the dumbest thing I ever read on the chat board. Grow up and learn about the history of both bands. Grand Funk had MAYBE four relevant years of recording and touring. Tull from a recording standpoint was relevant from 1968 to about 1991. Tull has toured constantly during their 40 year career except for maybe 1-2 years. If you want to compare numbers Tull blows GFR away. If you like sophisticated, complex arrangements with intelligent lyrics pick Tull, dumb rock pick GFR.

That may be the dumbest thing I ever read on the chat board. Grow up and learn about the history of both bands. Grand Funk had MAYBE four relevant years of recording and touring. Tull from a recording standpoint was relevant from 1968 to about 1991. Tull has toured constantly during their 40 year career except for maybe 1-2 years. If you want to compare numbers Tull blows GFR away. If you like sophisticated, complex arrangements with intelligent lyrics pick Tull, dumb rock pick GFR.

So just because you think Tull is better, does that make it so???

Longevity doesn't exclude a band (or artist) from suckitude. Just ask Wayne Newton.

800px-Wayne_Newton_2005.jpg

Interesting!! All you've done the last two or three months is post about what you're listening to or what concerts you've attended. Now all of a sudden you need to correct somebody - ME. You might think Wayne Newton sucks, but plenty of people enjoy him. And don't even think about putting Tull and Newton in the same category.

Interesting!! All you've done the last two or three months is post about what you're listening to or what concerts you've attended. Now all of a sudden you need to correct somebody - ME. You might think Wayne Newton sucks, but plenty of people enjoy him. And don't even think about putting Tull and Newton in the same category.

I'm not sure what difference it makes but actually I've posted very rarely in the past two or three months. Back on topic, my point is, longevity doesn't play into an artist's importance. For the record, I'd love to see Tull in the Hall but in the end all that matters is what their records mean to us as individuals.

I think they really broaden the definition of rock in order to let in more black artists. I mean, aside from Chuck Berry, Hendrix, and Living Color there have been very few black _rock_ musicians.

I'm not comfortable with that. I'm not all too sure their own discography qualifies as rock. I know they've had a couple rock collaborations with with Aerosmith and Kid Rock.

Shouldn't there be a hip-hop Hall of Fame or something? If there was, I don't see them showing up here.

Archived