Robert/Alison St. Louis, MO Show 9/24/08

Led Zep Gurl

Hello all,

I was there last night-my 3 friends and I were VERY lucky and ended up getting 5th row tickets. Before my "review" though, I have to share an experience that still has me shaking:)) We ended up going to the hotel the entourage was in. Post concert we went back for drinks and my all time dream came true, I met Robert! My girlfriends and I got a hug, and one girl got a photo with him(not me, darn it!) He was delightful and charming, and we also met T-Bone Burnett, who asked us what we thought of the concert. I thought I had died and gone to heaven! The most surreal part though was the following-Robert was telling us we should come to their next stop, which is in OK and is apparently a benefit for the hurricane victims in TX. I asked which day it was, and he said "what day is today" I replied "Weds, 9/24, but since it is 1am, I guess it is Thursday!:)) The next thing out of his mouth was "Today is the day John Bonham died." My friends and I said yes, we cannot believe it still that it happened, even 28 years after. I will remember Robert Plant saying those words for the rest of my life. I still cannot believe it happened and I will replay that moment, albeit such a sad subject, forever. What a poignant moment it was!!! I just had to share it-and I will never forget it!

Onto the concert, I really had mixed feelings-LOVED Robert, loved Allison's voice, but thought she was quite stiff and just did not have much of a stage presence. The music is quite incredible-I WOULD see them again but if there anything that would make the concert better it would be in my humble opinion a partner who moves, who has charisma, etc. who can mirror RP in that respect. The crowd was interesting-you could tell who was mainly there for RP and who was mainly there for AK. People around us were getting up and dancing and were being met with "sit down, don't talk, etc." even when the tempos were upbeat. Those were the old LZ/RP fans, many of whom had come from different places to see the concert!

Have to say my favorite part of the night was meeting the man-and darn wish it was me who got their photo taken with him and not my girlfriend!hahaha She would beg to differ-

Poignant is indeed the right word; it's giving me a little shiver down the spine just thinking about it. Hopefully I will have a similar story to tell one week from today after the Seattle show. ;) Thanks very much for sharing.

Wonder who this "Scots couple" is.....hmmmm. :ph34r:

I made it to St. Louis and the concert! I was real worried about getting there and finding it but it was pretty easy to find. Seats were pretty good, in balcony but really there are no bad seats at the Fox. Great sound and wonderful place to have it at. The concert was good. The crowd was very interesting ranging from young teenagers to people in their 70's or more. I couldn't tell if more people were there for Robert or Alison. I did sneak my camera in and tried to get a couple videos. Was able to film all of "Nothin'" but it was hard to enjoy the concert and film so that was about it. Seemed like the time just flew when they performed and before you knew it was over with! The concert got done around 11pm I think and with my drive home it was about 12:30 when I rolled into my driveway. I think the drawback of the whole trip was trying to get out of the parking lot after the concert and onto the freeway route!

I will try to figure out how to post the video I shot later today if I can!

Melissa, what a delightful story! THANK YOU for sharing it, it warms hearts, and indeed, sends shivers down one's spine - how he instantly remembered John, and all.

Will be looking forward to see those photoes. :)

This is my first attempt at trying to post a link in a message here so I hope it works. If it doesn't I need help figuring it out! Also, I am not for sure when I joined Youtube it is UK Youtube! I don't know what I did there! I am from IL and not the UK!

Here is song Nothin' from the concert last night. The view isn't the greatest but the sound recorded nicely. I wish I could have taped more but it was very hard to tape something and still enjoy the concert so I only did the song fully. I taped another song but only part of it. Will try to post it, it isn't very long cause my batteries were down on the camera so I had to switch batteries.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GwKBAYRh9Zc

This is my first attempt at trying to post a link in a message here so I hope it works. If it doesn't I need help figuring it out! Also, I am not for sure when I joined Youtube it is UK Youtube! I don't know what I did there! I am from IL and not the UK!

Here is song Nothin' from the concert last night. The view isn't the greatest but the sound recorded nicely. I wish I could have taped more but it was very hard to tape something and still enjoy the concert so I only did the song fully. I taped another song but only part of it. Will try to post it, it isn't very long cause my batteries were down on the camera so I had to switch batteries.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GwKBAYRh9Zc

It worked out well, big thank you :) Robert sounds GREAT.

Hello all,

I was there last night-my 3 friends and I were VERY lucky and ended up getting 5th row tickets. Before my "review" though, I have to share an experience that still has me shaking:)) We ended up going to the hotel the entourage was in. Post concert we went back for drinks and my all time dream came true, I met Robert! My girlfriends and I got a hug, and one girl got a photo with him(not me, darn it!) He was delightful and charming, and we also met T-Bone Burnett, who asked us what we thought of the concert. I thought I had died and gone to heaven! The most surreal part though was the following-Robert was telling us we should come to their next stop, which is in OK and is apparently a benefit for the hurricane victims in TX. I asked which day it was, and he said "what day is today" I replied "Weds, 9/24, but since it is 1am, I guess it is Thursday!:)) The next thing out of his mouth was "Today is the day John Bonham died." My friends and I said yes, we cannot believe it still that it happened, even 28 years after. I will remember Robert Plant saying those words for the rest of my life. I still cannot believe it happened and I will replay that moment, albeit such a sad subject, forever. What a poignant moment it was!!! I just had to share it-and I will never forget it!

Onto the concert, I really had mixed feelings-LOVED Robert, loved Allison's voice, but thought she was quite stiff and just did not have much of a stage presence. The music is quite incredible-I WOULD see them again but if there anything that would make the concert better it would be in my humble opinion a partner who moves, who has charisma, etc. who can mirror RP in that respect. The crowd was interesting-you could tell who was mainly there for RP and who was mainly there for AK. People around us were getting up and dancing and were being met with "sit down, don't talk, etc." even when the tempos were upbeat. Those were the old LZ/RP fans, many of whom had come from different places to see the concert!

Have to say my favorite part of the night was meeting the man-and darn wish it was me who got their photo taken with him and not my girlfriend!hahaha She would beg to differ-

what an excellent and well written post. thank you, melissa!

The most surreal part though was the following-Robert was telling us we should come to their next stop, which is in OK and is apparently a benefit for the hurricane victims in TX. I asked which day it was, and he said "what day is today" I replied "Weds, 9/24, but since it is 1am, I guess it is Thursday!:)) The next thing out of his mouth was "Today is the day John Bonham died."

John Bonham's happy spirit remains.

Very nice review and truly a moment to remember.

Led Zep Gurl, Thank you for posting the video...Nothing is one of my favorites :)

Sounds like it was a really good show and that the Plant and Krauss train is still a rollin'

from the riverfront times, st. louis:

Robert Plant, Alison Krauss and T Bone Burnett at the Fabulous Fox Theater, Wednesday, September 24

Halfway through last night's Raising Sand tour stop in St. Louis, producer-bandleader T Bone Burnett thanked an enraptured Fox Theatre crowd.

"It's good to be home," said Burnett, before delivering his only solo performance of the evening, "Earlier Baghdad." Afterward, acknowledging the song's dark subject matter, Burnett noted, "We're in a political season. And the only real politics is love."

robert-plant-alison-krauss-at-fox-t.jpg

He then stepped aside to reintroduce Alison Krauss, who brought the bluegrass back in the form of "Wildwood Flower," followed by an a cappella rendition of the gospel standard/O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack hit "Down to the River to Pray."

Much has been written about the Grammy-winning pairing of Krauss and Robert Plant, and the Fox show, the second installment of a brief autumn coda to the duo's spring-summer tour, drew a sold-out crowd to the Fox.

"Duo," though, is a misnomer. Like the album before it, the live-in-person incarnation of Raising Sand owes its very existence to the St. Louis-born guitarist Burnett, whose sonic aesthetic pervaded the entire Fox evening, from the subtly retro, radio-era stage set and awesomely taut backing-band presence to the song choices and arrangements. In one of the night's few spoken asides, Plant called Burnett a "lodestone" -- and rightly so.

robert-plant-alison-krauss-at-fo-1.jpg

Featuring Buddy Miller on guitar and pedal steel, Stuart Duncan on banjo and various other stringed things and drummer Jay Bellerose and stand-up bass player Dennis Crouch anchoring the rhythm section, Burnett's combo abetted Krauss and Plant on a 90-minute musical voyage that mixed material from America's country-music breadbasket with classic-rock chestnuts from Led Zeppelin's heavy-metal heyday. After an jazz-infused opening set by Sharon Little, the lanky Burnett strolled out from the darkened wings like a preacher man (clad in the proverbial long black coat), followed by Krauss and Plant, who took center stage as the band took off with Raising Sand's opening track, "Rich Woman," followed by the Ray Charles country-fied R&B number "Leave My Woman Alone."

robert-plant-alison-krauss-at-fo-2.jpg

While the 2007 album drew sparingly from Plant's catalog, a good chunk of the concert setlist -- "Black Dog, "Black Country Woman," "The Battle of Evermore" -- was pulled straight out of the 1970s Led Zeppelin songbook. Strange as it may seem, the classic Brit-rock material is a good match for Krauss. Perhaps that shouldn't come as so much of a surprise, though: The Zeppelin IV version of "Evermore" featured vocals by the late Sandy Denny, of Fairport Convention fame, and it's not a huge stretch to jump from Denny's ethereal vocals to Krauss'. Earlier in the show, Plant's "I'm in the Mood" medleyed its way in to the old English ballad "Matty Groves" -- another Denny-era Fairport mainstay.

robert-plant-alison-krauss-at-fo-3.jpg

In an interview published in last week's RFT, Burnett tells Roy Kasten that he likes to work live in the studio, rather than layer the music with overdub after overdub. Whatever effect that approach may have had on the Raising Sand sessions is nothing compared to the immediacy of a live concert setting. As Fox-goers sat (and later stood) enthralled, Krauss, Plant, Burnett and company delivered the goods with shimmering incandescence.

robert-plant-alison-krauss-at-fo-4.jpg

Setlist is below; if you hanker for a more direct taste of the live act, search YouTube for Plant and Krauss.

1. Rich Woman

2. Leave My Woman Alone

3. Black Dog

4. Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us

5. Through the Morning, Through the Night

6. It’s Goodbye and So Long to You

7. Fortune Teller

8. In the Mood / Matty Groves

9. Black Country Woman

10. Earlier Baghdad (T Bone Burnett)

11. Wildwood Flower

12. Down to the River to Pray

13. Nothin’

14. Battle of Evermore

15. Please Read the Letter

16. Gone Gone Gone

17. You Don’t Knock

18. Killing the Blues

19. One Woman Man

-Tom Finkel

link

I made it to St. Louis and the concert! I was real worried about getting there and finding it but it was pretty easy to find. Seats were pretty good, in balcony but really there are no bad seats at the Fox. Great sound and wonderful place to have it at. The concert was good. The crowd was very interesting ranging from young teenagers to people in their 70's or more. I couldn't tell if more people were there for Robert or Alison. I did sneak my camera in and tried to get a couple videos. Was able to film all of "Nothin'" but it was hard to enjoy the concert and film so that was about it. Seemed like the time just flew when they performed and before you knew it was over with! The concert got done around 11pm I think and with my drive home it was about 12:30 when I rolled into my driveway. I think the drawback of the whole trip was trying to get out of the parking lot after the concert and onto the freeway route!

I will try to figure out how to post the video I shot later today if I can!

Glad everything worked out so well for you Led Zep Gurl. In the original post you mentioned how much you dreaded the drive into St. Louis but it sounds like it went just fine.

from the riverfront times, st. louis:

Robert Plant, Alison Krauss and T Bone Burnett at the Fabulous Fox Theater, Wednesday, September 24 - - - - -

robert-plant-alison-krauss-at-fo-1.jpg

Be still my heart, how I looove this pic of Robert ^^. :wub::wub: Does he or does he not look about 30 years old in these "sideward glance" photos??

Thanks for this great review beatbo.

Gorgeous pics, and great review--thanks for posting, beatbo!

You know, I'd noticed in the past that (except for on the current tour) Robert nearly always mentioned Bonzo at some point during a show. So great to know he's still so firmly in his thoughts.

Not on the ones i have seen Aqua

Thanks for posting the review. I saw just now on another list too and was going to mention it. If you go the link and read comments from this review there has been talk that there was visible "tension" on the stage between Robert and Alison but I didn't see or notice anything like that. At one point, Robert was roving around stage while she was fiddling and he ended up beside her on her right and he was stepping on her cord for the fiddle or something and she wasn't happy about that and had to check to see if it was still plugged in I think but that was the only thing I saw and it didn't seem like a big deal. Some people also commented that the show was shorter than it had been at other locations.

I thought it was a good show and didn't see any tensions, did anyone else notice it that was there?

Thanks for posting the review. I saw just now on another list too and was going to mention it. If you go the link and read comments from this review there has been talk that there was visible "tension" on the stage between Robert and Alison but I didn't see or notice anything like that. At one point, Robert was roving around stage while she was fiddling and he ended up beside her on her right and he was stepping on her cord for the fiddle or something and she wasn't happy about that and had to check to see if it was still plugged in I think but that was the only thing I saw and it didn't seem like a big deal. Some people also commented that the show was shorter than it had been at other locations.

I thought it was a good show and didn't see any tensions, did anyone else notice it that was there?

I don't know about the tension, but I did read in the comments a poster left saying that someone yelled some obscenities at Alison to get off the stage in St Louis. :thumbdown:

Archived