Kevin Shirley Concerned About New Singer Rumors

mstork

No matter who they choose lets wait to hear the finished product before we judge if we like it or not. This is a totally new project just like Led Zeppelin was in '68. If the New Yardbirds had the kind of scrutiny that comes today, who would give them a chance? Page, a studio guy and two unknowns ha.

Uh, I don't know if he is or not but Shirley mentions a heavy metal band. I don't think Lame Biscuit was metal. Then again I only heard one song, well the beginning of it anyway then I turned it off. Was "just one of those days".

Kids, it's Robert Plant. The J's are not going to pick up some cheap impersonator or cater to the young audience and go out and be a Led Zeppelin cover band. Get The Led Out has that covered already.

IF there is a new singer, there has to be new material for even JP and JPJ to be interested so there needs to be some writing going on. I think tapes/demos are being sent to Robert and he's writing during the Soggy Bottom Boys(and girl) tour hiatus and in between shows as time allows. Remember in '88 Plant was enjoying a gigantic "comeback" and wrote The Only One long distance with Jimmy sending tapes to him? I believe the same was true with Jimmy laying down Tracks for Heaven Knows and Tall Cool One. Both were quite busy but found the time to compose long distance. Nowdays it's even easier with today's technology. JP recorded the guitar track for P. Titty's "Come Wif Me" live while he was in England and Titty was in the US.

Knebby? Mr. Steve"two slacks" Jones? How far off the mark do you think I am here? A PM will be fine if "secrets" need to be kept.

Insofar as the solo collaborations you mentioned, Robert had called Jimmy and invited him to come to the studio and contribute to his album. Jimmy's solos on 'Heaven Knows' and 'Tall Cool One' were done in one afternoon. Robert's lyrics for Jimmy's 'The Only One' were written once a complete version of the song was on tape, as you said.

I'd say any belief Robert is working on Zeppelin material while touring with Alison is off the mark, and it's highly improbable Robert will return to the fold this year, if ever.

Insofar as the solo collaborations you mentioned, Robert had called Jimmy and invited him to come to the studio and contribute to his album. Jimmy's solos on 'Heaven Knows' and 'Tall Cool One' were done in one afternoon. Robert's lyrics for Jimmy's 'The Only One' were written once a complete version of the song was on tape, as you said.

I'd say any belief Robert is working on Zeppelin material while touring with Alison is off the mark, and it's highly improbable Robert will return to the fold this year, if ever.

I agree 100%. Although Robert is one to change his mind midstream.........

Here are a few videos I found of Myles Kennedy so you dont have to search.. You may not like his band Alter Bridge but the guy is deffo capable of doing the blusey numbers. He is also an amazing guitarist from what I could tell.. Enjoy!

Check out the solo in this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTc5h8aHNxc I think this one is proof the guy is capable.

He can do the blues

Here is the title track of the last Alter Bridge album.

If nothing else you gotta say the guy is very talented.

The singer isn't in a metal band... He's in one of the most generic hard rock bands, I have ever heard. He replaced the most hated(esp. by Pearl Jam fans) lead singer of all time.

The guy has a pretty good range, and is easily the high point in his new band(the guitar player is devoid of taste), but the bluesier numbers by Zeppelin are gonna suffer a little, along with anything that requires a bit of subtlety, with this guy singin.

Gotta love Myles Kennedy!

I know of at least one eye witness who saw them at the studios in Putney.

Zeppelin really AREN'T followed byPaparazzi in the UK.

And as I said - people are loyal and keep their secrets.

Putney , throwing us off the scent are we ?? :)

Gary Glitters doing fuck all at the moment and given the ridiculous choices or guesses of some he's as much an even bet as those. :blink:

:blink: God I hope they don't do a cover a version of Steppenwolfs Born to be in a ....., :huh::blink:

Well,Jimmy and Co. should consider trying to keep Plant on retainer for lyrical contribution.In three minutes, Robert could scribble a few words on a soggy cocktail napkin that would be suited for JP and JPJ new compositions better than a lyricist who labored for weeks to achieve the same end.His words connect the damn dots to their music.

Well,Jimmy and Co. should consider trying to keep Plant on retainer for lyrical contribution.In three minutes, Robert could scribble a few words on a soggy cocktail napkin that would be suited for JP and JPJ new compositions better than a lyricist who labored for weeks to achieve the same end.His words connect the damn dots to their music.

Don't forget, Robert has confessed to having writer's block not too long ago. Page and Jones have been in this game far longer than most of us have been alive, don't they deserve the benefit of the doubt until the time comes that our own ears tell us if we like what we hear or not?

Don't forget, Robert has confessed to having writer's block not too long ago. Page and Jones have been in this game far longer than most of us have been alive, don't they deserve the benefit of the doubt until the time comes that our own ears tell us if we like what we hear or not?

No doubt here...anything created will be knockout.But,as Mr. Jones has stated;the alchemy.JP and JPJ,composition.RP, lyrics...Knockout in the first round.

Here are a few videos I found of Myles Kennedy so you dont have to search.. You may not like his band Alter Bridge but the guy is deffo capable of doing the blusey numbers. He is also an amazing guitarist from what I could tell.. Enjoy!

Check out the solo in this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTc5h8aHNxc I think this one is proof the guy is capable.

He can do the blues

Here is the title track of the last Alter Bridge album.

If nothing else you gotta say the guy is very talented.

I agree...he has a 3 octave range and he plays a pretty mean guitar also. I think he'd add a nice dimension to new songs and be able to pull off a lot of the classic stuff.

I also like the band...check out their MySpace page....they sound great in the studio!!

No doubt here...anything created will be knockout.But,as Mr. Jones has stated;the alchemy.JP and JPJ,composition.RP, lyrics...Knockout in the first round.

Alchemy changes when 30 years have passed since their last collaboration. If it was still there it would be the three of them not just two.

I reckon if they do replace Plant for the tour, it will be with Coverdale. He has been seen hanging with Page lately.

Oh, lord I certainly hope not. The rumors have it that an American singer has been seen in the studio. But no names given. Any confirmation on who it is?

Ross Halfin comments on Caveman's post:

September 28

Nice Sunday, as in beautiful weather. If only England was like this all the time.

Kevin THE CAVEMAN Shirley has told the world his "fave" band (Iron Maiden) have a new singer from a Florida heavy metal band. The CAVEMAN got the news off his best mate, the singer in Journey. I know this because I've had a few emails asking me who it is. Now folks, I don't shoot Iron Maiden anymore, although I'm friends with some of them. So I have no idea who it is - ask THE CAVEMAN, he's the man in the know. Perhaps it's Joe Bonamassa...

Caveman does love Iron Maiden, but I think Ross is just screwing with him, because I've read numerous interviews where Shirley refers to Zep as his favorite band...

I listened to Randy Jackson from Zebra and I like him much better than Myles Kennedy,...but it's that cheesy falsetto that drives me nuts. I know as Plant get's older he uses that cheesy falsetto for the high stuff since he isn't 20 years old anymore, but that's ok,.I understand. But having other singers do it just rubs me the same way.

If Plant is replaced, please pick Chris Cornell. He has the least cheese to offer.

And please not Coverdale.

Plus if by any chance if Jackson got the gig, he could do guitar parts as well, like the guy from the Cure (Robert Smith???) did for Page/Plant in the 90's

Ross Halfin comments on Caveman's post:

Caveman does love Iron Maiden, but I think Ross is just screwing with him, because I've read numerous interviews where Shirley refers to Zep as his favorite band...

i guess iron maiden will get around to letting their current vocalist (bruce dickinson) know that he is out. as of today, he thinks he is still in the band.

he could get a new job as an airline pilot-he has a habit of looking for stranded passengers.

I listened to Randy Jackson from Zebra and I like him much better than Myles Kennedy,...but it's that cheesy falsetto that drives me nuts. I know as Plant get's older he uses that cheesy falsetto for the high stuff since he isn't 20 years old anymore, but that's ok,.I understand. But having other singers do it just rubs me the same way.

If Plant is replaced, please pick Chris Cornell. He has the least cheese to offer.

And please not Coverdale.

Plus if by any chance if Jackson got the gig, he could do guitar parts as well, like the guy from the Cure (Robert Smith???) did for Page/Plant in the 90's

That would have been Porl Thompson... who I met along with Michael Lee and Charlie Jones in New Orleans. They were all very nice!

Archived