LZ III Back Cover Photo

pezdel

I've always been curious why the back cover photo on LZ III shows Robert in a "tinted" color, whereas the other mates are black and white (see photo below). What is the significance of the norse-style cross that he is wearing (as it's tinted a different color than everything else in the photo)? I presume it has something to do with the Viking imagery of the Immigrant Song.

(Hopefully you won't blast me, but yes, I did do a search both here and Wikipedia before posting these questions).

Thanks.

le3.jpg

I've been looking around and really haven't found anything on this matter...

Is anyone here friends with Zacron? I'm sure he could tell us.., I mean, he designed the thing.

Maybe Robert made a deal with the rest of the group... that if he was gonna have to throw his vocal cords out on the very first track, he was gonna have to be compensated by standing out in the picture - lol

Side note: The back cover was actually the front cover for the rare French copies, which I don't believe featured the rotating picture-wheel either.

I've always been curious why the back cover photo on LZ III shows Robert in a "tinted" color, whereas the other mates are black and white (see photo below). What is the significance of the norse-style cross that he is wearing (as it's tinted a different color than everything else in the photo)? I presume it has something to do with the Viking imagery of the Immigrant Song.

(Hopefully you won't blast me, but yes, I did do a search both here and Wikipedia before posting these questions).

Thanks.

le3.jpg

I used to have a white t-shirt with the above picture on the front ,minus the 3 .I had that T-shirt for 25-30 years, only wore it on special occasions and people always asked about it .Wore it mainly when Led Zeppelin related times were quiet .Just my way of trying to "keep the flag flying" .so to speak. :hippy:

• 9 years later...
  • Administrators
2 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Anyone ever find the original photos used for the back cover? I've read that they were originally taken by "Zacros" personally as he visited each of their homes to get some pics for the album.

yes, the original photos are included in the Led Zeppelin III Super Deluxe Box Set book.

4 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

yes, the original photos are included in the Led Zeppelin III Super Deluxe Box Set book.

My google skills have failed me as I can't find any origin stories about the back cover. From what I understand, the original photo of Robert is of him sitting on the hood of a car, minus the necklace. Was the necklace superimposed?

Archived