Where Were You on Sept 25, 1980

tampa77

When you heard the news of John Henry Bonham's passing?

I was just waking up to the radio when I was in 7th grade when the DJ said "The Rock and Roll Union might want to get better insurance. First Keith Moon died and now apparently John Bonham has died. Leaving the greatest band in the world without a drummer. This is truly one of the saddest days in Rock history!"

R.I.P. Bonzo

I wasn't born until 13 years later, but I know my dad's friend had tickets to see them on the up-coming 1980 american when his friend told him and my dad (who was going to get a ticket) in school about Bonzo's death.

I was ten and I heard it on the radio. I didn't turn into a Zepaholic 'til I was 14, but I knew who they were. I just listened to the dj, but I don't remember what he said. I was jumping on a little trampoline and I just stopped jumping and listened. That's all I remember. Oh, I do remember my mom going "Jesus Christ there goes another one. When will it end?"

I remember it very well, and I can say it was a sad, sad day. I cried a lot. :( :(

Hi, -deh, bem-vinda ao forum! ;)

Hi brspled!

The night before John Bonham passed I had dropped off over a thousand dollars at my ticket scalper's home for the November 1980 shows at the Chicago Stadium. I was woken up the following morning by my sister exclaiming ' John Bonham's dead! John Bonham's dead! " I was stunned to say the least and thought maybe he'd been killed motorcycling or in a car wreck. There was no internet so initially no one really knew what had happened.

Hi Chicago, long time, no talk!!! :wave: Those are such sad memories.....and in December, as they annouced no more LZ.... :( ....and then Lennon died :( . Gosh, being a 17 year old teenie at the time, I can tell, I was devastated. :'( :'(

-deh. I hope you have a great time here, maybe we know each other from another board?? ;) Call me Celia. ^_^

I was 12 and I remember my friend john's older sister freaking out becuase she supposedly was going to see Zeppelin that yr. Zeppelin was one of my first loves of rock after the beatles, but Inever new how much i would love them in the yrs to come. They were already done when Iwas a teenager, but they were always my favorite band and I have waited since 1984 for a true Zeppelin reunion tour. (CMON ROBERT!!!!) I saw Live Aid and hated Phil Collins ever since!! Atlantic wasnt much better and Steven tyler ruined The R&R Hall induction in 1995. The 02 was a serious happening at my house and we had a big party to watch the Third Eye DVD.

Hi Chicago, long time, no talk!!! :wave: Those are such sad memories.....and in December, as they annouced no more LZ.... :( ....and then Lennon died :( . Gosh, being a 17 year old teenie at the time, I can tell, I was devastated. :'( :'(

-deh. I hope you have a great time here, maybe we know each other from another board?? ;) Call me Celia. ^_^

Was a rough few months that year wasn't it :'( :'(

I was on my way home from work on the train, and saw the story on the back of somebody's Evening Standard. I was going crazy trying to read it, and rushed for the newsstand as soon as I got to my stop. I can still remember standing there reading it in disbelief while all the other commuters swirled around me. :(

I was 13. My eldest brother (who got me into Zep) told me when I arrived home from school. I was upset because of John and then more so as my brother was upset. He kept saying "I can't believe it, I can't believe it.."

And then just over 2 months later, the stunning news about Lennon. It was a sad time for rock music.

:'(

I was living in Flint, MI at the time and heard the awful news on the radio. I was stunned and when I told my bandmates at the the time, we were all in denial. Didn't seem possible that this giant presence in rock was gone just like that. We dedicated that night's performance to him, just as we would do in less than two months for another John.

I heard the sad news coming home on the school bus. I was hoping that the guy who was saying it was playing some sort of sick joke, but when I got home, turned on the radio & found that all the rock stations were playing Zeppelin, I knew then it was true. I told my brother when he got home from school, and we put on Moby Dick from TSRTS & sat there in silence.

that was a thursday, i don't remember much, but i was either on the school bus, at school or at home or sleeping.

i was 14 yrs old then.

I'm glad you confirmed that is was a Thursday....I was sitting here thinking that but didn't trust my memory. I'll never forget the devastating feeling I had that day, hearing it on the radio. And then to hear just a couple of months later, again from the radio, about John Lennon's murder, it was all terribly sad. In a way it kind of marked the end of childhood/youth for me. I was 25 and lost a great deal of enthusiasm for rock music in general and Led Zeppelin in particular until the DVD released in 2003 rekindled the flame. On the positive side, in many ways Zep is sweeter the second time around.

Archived