Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
tampa77

Where Were You on Sept 25, 1980

I was born afterwards, but I remember finding out he had died. I told my dad that I wanted to be a roadie for Led Zeppelin. Then he said They aren't a band. Bonzo died a long time ago. I was probably 4 when I found out. I cried.

I was in the backyard doing some gardening, with the FM radio on (96fm) in the background, on the afternoon of Friday the 26th, after finishing school. 96fm back then had only started broadcasting in August. It was a cool cloudy day and had just rained earlier. Then at the end of Steve Miller's "Fly Like an Eagle", the announcer Fred Bottica came on to state the news was coming up with the latest on John Bonham's passing. I didn't have a radio at school and no-one said anything there so this was the first time I heard about it. I immediately stopped doing everything and went inside to sit down and hear the news with a female reporter from London stating more details and sadly, it was true. My life has never been the same.

Meg

When you heard the news of John Henry Bonham's passing?

I was just waking up to the radio when I was in 7th grade when the DJ said "The Rock and Roll Union might want to get better insurance. First Keith Moon died and now apparently John Bonham has died. Leaving the greatest band in the world without a drummer. This is truly one of the saddest days in Rock history!"

R.I.P. Bonzo

I was in the 10th grade at the time. The bell had rung at the end of my math class and it was my last class for the day. A girl comes to my class to meet her boyfriend. They were in front of me as I was leaving and I over hear her telling him that John Bonham had died. I ask if his was really true and she had just heard it on the radio. I was in shock. I just could not believe what I was hearing. I look for my friend Wayne (also a big Zeppelin fan) who's locker was near mine, he's there and I tell him. He couldn't believe it as well. My heart completely sunk and I was so sad. I had started listening to them about a year prior and was really into them at this point.

I got on the bus and went home and played Led Zeppelin constantly for days. That was my remedy. I just knew at this point that this was the end of the band.

Edited by SuperDave

I was in 3rd grade, and my dad was a huge fan. I remember listening to local radio covering the story. Really bad year. Few months later, Lennon gone too. Sad.....miss them both

I got home from work and was watching the news with my hubby.

When they announced his death. We both just said NO, NO WAY, ETC.

I was in shock. Waiting for them to come to California so I could see them again.

I saw them in 1977. What a show. Bonzo did certainly SHINE!!!!

My favorite rock drummer, the best rock drummer, and my favorite group.

I think I was sitting there with my mouth hanging open. :(:boohoo:

But Jason will carry on his fathers legacy. The son of thunder.

Today may there be thunder in Heaven. As John Henrey Bonham entertains. Maybe with floyds Wright on keyboards

and Syd Barrett too.

God bless them all!

I was just waking up to go to school(8th grade). I always set my alarm to music and I noticed they were playing Zeppelin, then they played another one and at first I was psyched then I got suspiscious. After the 2nd tune they annouced "The rock world suffered a great loss today; Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham has died, no details as of yet as to how but it has been confirmed that he did pass away". I was shocked utterly shocked and silent...........

I don't know if there are any Freaks and Geeks fans out there but they cover Bonham's death in the second episode and I'll bet anyone who was around at that time can totally relate to the opening scene in the school hallway. I though it was me. Word for word! There is also a very cool scene in the first scene of the first episode when they're under the bleachers. Check it out.

When you heard the news of John Henry Bonham's passing?

I was just waking up to the radio when I was in 7th grade when the DJ said "The Rock and Roll Union might want to get better insurance. First Keith Moon died and now apparently John Bonham has died. Leaving the greatest band in the world without a drummer. This is truly one of the saddest days in Rock history!"

R.I.P. Bonzo

How's it going "tampa77" as well as all of my fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? 25 September 1980 as well as 8 December 1980 will be days that I will never forget as long as I live. I had just graduated from High School in June 1980 and my friends and I were looking forward to seeing ZEPPELIN live again when they come to America. I had already heard that the Tour over Europe 1980 was to be a tune up for the American Tour. I also heard that some of their 1980 shows in Europe were already legendary and I couldn't wait till ZEPPELIN came to America to prove why. On 26 September 1980, I got a very sad call from my best friend Tod that would break the news to me that Bonzo had died. I felt like I just got punched hard in the stomach. I couldn't believe what I heard. When Bonzo died, it really put a damper on 1980. If that wasn't bad enough, 8 December 1980 would only make us wish that we could relive 1980 all over again. When John Lennon died, it was like reliving 1970 all over again. THE DREAM IS OVER AGAIN! Years would go by and when my parents moved out of our old house into another, I found the actual newspaper articles that came out in the Sacramento Union and Sacramento Bee on Bonzo's death (26 September 1980) and John Lennon's death (9 December 1980). I had forgotten that I put those newspaper articles in my drawer in my old bedroom that I once lived in. When I saw them, it blew me away. Seeing those old articles really brought back bad memories for me. Do you remember the saying "where were you when so and so died?" As for myself, I remember exactly where I was when Bonzo and Lennon died. ROCK ON!

I had just returned from a deployment /cruise to Northern Europe including Denmark,Sweeden,Norway,England,Scotland,Ireland Including a trip to Kiel West Germany and a Rail trip to Manhiem for a Zep Show.I was in Baltimore Maryland My Ship had pulled in to the Shipyard Maryland Shipbuilding and Drydock to have some repairs done.Saw Bob Seger on the 22nd in Baltimore .I had just got into My Hotel room in the Lord Baltimore Hotel when I turned on the Tv I heard and just felt sick .A bad day for Rock and Roll 25 Sept 1980.

I remember it well. I had just got off the phone with my Dad while I was at university. He had called to let me know he had picked up the tickets from a colleague of his for the Olympic Stadium show in Montreal (the tour opener) and they would be there for me when I got home on the weekend. I literally hung up the phone and Andy Frost the DJ at the time on Q107 in Toronto annouced that John Bonham had died. They played LZ for the next 24 hours or something on the radio. Tragedy had struck again as I had tix to the Buffalo show in 1977 when the tour was cancelled due to RP son's illness. I always have a pint for JHB on September 24th. RIP

I was starting 9th grade in Connecticut. I heard the news from several girls that were crying when I exited the school bus at the front of school. I always carried by boombox with me and I immediately popped in IV and cranked it.

I was quite upset for the loss of a great drummer AND the fact that I was an inch from convincing my mom to let me go to an upcoming LZ concert on the next US tour.

My friends and I spent a better part of the next weekend jamming and celebrating Bonzo's life as well as our own.

Cheers to next year's tour.

I had just turned 19 the week before. I was at work at a music store when a pal of mine who worked at a music store across town called me and gave me the sad news. I took the rest of the day off, went home, and cried. I've been playing drums since I was 10 and from age 13, Bonzo has been my drumming hero.

If you look at my user pic, those are my 2 granddaughters, ages 9 & 2 sitting behind my drumkit. If it weren't for Bonzo, I doubt I'd be passing on the sheer joy of playing drums to them....and they LOVE Led Zeppelin! (The 2 year old dances when I put on "Trampled Under Foot...she calls it "Tampa Foot"!) Thank you John! :-)

Edited by JohnnyGuitar

I was in college, came home from classes, and it was on the radio. I had been disappointed that the 1980 tour dates didn't include California, but I had already made a deposit with a ticket "broker" in hopes of getting a ticket to a Chicago show. I don't know how I would have afforded the trip, but I would have made it happen.

December sucked even more; John Lennon was murdered and then a few days later LZ made it official that they were disbanding.

I recall seeing stuff in the newspapers. I was seven and knew Led Zeppelin was a rock band, but obviously couldn't name or recognise a member or song or anything like that as I was musically about as far away from Zep as it was possible to be at that time (just like the majority of seven year olds!)

Ironically enough, it was seeing these articles that made John Bonham the first member of Led Zeppelin I could actually name. I didn't get into them myself until years later, though.

I vividly remember my mother breaking down crying when John Lennon's death was announced, but I was a bit too young to really understand the magnitude of how crappy 1980 was for music fans.

It would be 17 years till my birth

but my dad told me not long ago

that he was headed to the corner store

when the clerk (who loved rock) said "Bonzo's Dead boys!"

I was 20 years old. I was driving my 1976 Camaro to work when the news came across KISW, Seattle's best rock. I was stunned and had to pull over. I had been screwed out of going to see Zep at the Kingdome in July, 1977 by a former boyfriend so had been eagerly awaiting their return to the states in 1980.

When John Lennon was shot dead just three months after Bonham's death it made for an especially bad year in rock 'n roll.

Standing in the ballroom of the Sheraton, New Carrollton, MD, waiting for the announcement to come when tickets would go on sale at the Cap Centre in Largo, MD so we could camp out and by tickets(yes, there was no internet then Virginia) A co-worker came busting through the kitchen doors to the ballroom and exclaimed "Fucking Bonham's dead, Zeppelin's dead, my life is over". Shock. Dismay. Anger. Frustration. More shock. All I could think to myself was that I was glad that I bought a plane ticket and went to Knebworth to see them before this shit went down.