Priory of Brion - An Appreciation

One Symbol

Just for a while I've decided to neatly sidestep all the "Will they, won't they" and "It's all Robert Plant's fault" type threads, put my feet up and listen to a couple of the POB boots.

What a great little band they were...really stratospheric renditions of Darkness Darkness, Girl From the North Country, Early In The Morning, Evil Woman, Trouble In Mind - I could name so many more.

So this afternoon I've been chilling with a long, cool drink to POB @ Dudley, Brieley Hill & Sheffield - nice!

So let's spread the love for PoB.

Would anyone like to share any recollections or photos from these great gigs? Fill yer boots! :D

I never got to see them as they never toured stateside, but I've heard some boots and I loved the project. Sheffield is a great one in particular. Thought it was a good transitional project for Robert. Would have been amazing to have walked into some of those small clubs they played at and seem him there.

Yeah,I was lucky to catch two of them - Kendal & Manchester. I live near Sheffield now, but didn't at the time so I missed the Boardwalk gig. Doh!

I was a bit gutted when Robert ended his association with the Priory, but I suppose long-term it's all been for the good. Part of me wishes I could see him front a similar vehice in the future - the gigs were just such good fun.

I remember the gig in Luzern, Switzerland particularly well (July 2000). It was staged during the annual Blue Balls Festival and Robert was in rare form vocally as well as with his many Plantations. For example, alluding to the festival name, he told the crowd he had blue balls in 1968. I'll probably be unable to find my photographs any time soon but if I should I'll be sure to post them here.

I remember the gig in Luzern, Switzerland particularly well (July 2000). It was staged during the annual Blue Balls Festival and Robert was in rare form vocally as well as with his many Plantations. For example, alluding to the festival name, he told the crowd he had blue balls in 1968. I'll probably be unable to find my photographs any time soon but if I should I'll be sure to post them here.

You've got photographs of Robert's blue balls in 1968?? :yay:

But seriously, folks--I thought PoB was a great band, though I've only heard/seen them via boots, too. Terrible pants Robert was wearing in Italy, but the setlists were like the soundtrack of my teenage years.

I thought I was the only one around here who appreciated them. Glad I was wrong. :D

Honestly, I preferred PoB by far over SS or anything later (Zep reunion excepted of course). This was merely a continuation of Band Of Joy minus Bonzo, but they were fantastic. Loved the old covers (esp. Evil Woman and their version of Morning Dew). Robert was absolutely hilarious and clearly having a great time.

There are three tremendous studio takes of PoB out there. Morning Dew, Evil Woman and Flames. If you look up M.A.S. Records on the web, you'll find the compilations featuring these tracks. Do yourself a favor and get them! (and say hi to Kevyn Gammond while you're at it.)

You've got photographs of Robert's blue balls in 1968?? :yay:

But seriously, folks--I thought PoB was a great band, though I've only heard/seen them via boots, too. Terrible pants Robert was wearing in Italy, but the setlists were like the soundtrack of my teenage years.

Were those the clam diggers? Yeah, er, hmmmm :blink::huh:

I thought I was the only one around here who appreciated them. Glad I was wrong. :D

Honestly, I preferred PoB by far over SS or anything later (Zep reunion excepted of course). This was merely a continuation of Band Of Joy minus Bonzo, but they were fantastic. Loved the old covers (esp. Evil Woman and their version of Morning Dew). Robert was absolutely hilarious and clearly having a great time.

There are three tremendous studio takes of PoB out there. Morning Dew, Evil Woman and Flames. If you look up M.A.S. Records on the web, you'll find the compilations featuring these tracks. Do yourself a favor and get them! (and say hi to Kevyn Gammond while you're at it.)

You cannot compare POB to SS they are totally different animals.

PoB was great but I don't think you can really compare them to Strange Sensation (IMO) who were an absolutely phenomenal band. The MAS compilation with those songs is really good. Great version of Morning Dew.

Really enjoyed the POB shows, saw them about a dozen times. Some of Kevins solos were a bit dodgy though :D

Yes they were :D

Yeh I got to see them in Manchester,

This gig was one of his best as he seemed most relaxed. This was probably because he had just seen his footy team Wolves play I think up at Bolton, thus we had to wait untill nearly 11pm before he came on.

The songs were all covers of old fairly unkown songs, though Hey Joe and "We're Gonna Groove" which Zep played were the ones I knew. At times it got very off the wall with the guitarist Kevin Gammond(great player) playing extended jazzy guitar solos. It was great and a bit different.

Here is a poster I took down from the wall inside and ticket etc..

Planet K seemed like a converted shop as it was tiny, which led to a great atmosphere

brion.jpg

prith-1.jpg

pop-1.jpg

Yeh I got to see them in Manchester. This gig was one of his best as he seemed most relaxed. This was probably because he had just seen his footy team Wolves play I think up at Bolton, thus we had to wait untill nearly 11pm before he came on.

Yes, that match was in Bolton. Robert left after the first period (his beloved Wolves

would go on to lose 2-1) and motorbiked to the gig.

I saw POB 5 times and really enjoyed the low key shows.

It was starneg the first show in telford cos Robert was reading the lyrics sitting on a stool and singing.

he a a bit of a crooner :D

Got to see the final show in Wolverhampton too. Theres a good little dvd of that, not the full shgow but about 45 mins.

It was Robert getting back on stage not having to prove anything but his love of music and his way back into playing and singing after the break with Jimmy. They were a tight little band. Kevin Gammond was always fun to watch.

Strange Sensation followed of course but would they have done without the POB getting together? Possibly not.

I did prefer SS all the same but POB was a great vehicle and a fun show each time. B)

This gig was one of his best as he seemed most relaxed. This was probably because he had just seen his footy team Wolves play I think up at Bolton, thus we had to wait untill nearly 11pm before he came on.

The songs were all covers of old fairly unkown songs, though Hey Joe and "We're Gonna Groove" which Zep played were the ones I knew. At times it got very off the wall with the guitarist Kevin Gammond(great player) playing extended jazzy guitar solos. It was great and a bit different.

Planet K seemed like a converted shop as it was tiny, which led to a great atmosphere

brion.jpg

prith-1.jpg

pop-1.jpg

Ah yes, Planet K - that was the place!

Great gig - I bumped into the Mancunian guy (Steve?) who had got to throw questions at Page & Plant on TFI Friday.

Kevyn Gammond was in fine form throughout. Happy days! :D

Including or excluding Robert <_<:DB)

I don't know :)

Ah yes, Planet K - that was the place!

Great gig - I bumped into the Mancunian guy (Steve?) who had got to throw questions at Page & Plant on TFI Friday.

Kevyn Gammond was in fine form throughout. Happy days! :D

I remember that guy, he asked if Jimmy would ever compile a live dvd of stuff, of which of course they did :) and happy days yes indeed.

• 2 years later...

brion.jpg

prith-1.jpg

pop-1.jpg

Thought I would be a smug git and reply to my own post from a few years ago as found the thread :rolleyes:, was going to put it in the "Band of Joy" thread or threads that are going on as its related but................

My poster above is not correct now, now that that Planty has formed "The Band of Joy" again :slapface:

• 5 months later...

Archived