Priory of Brion - An Appreciation

One Symbol

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Deborah, once again, you are a wondrous source to this forum, providing tasty treats for all of us to enjoy. A big metaphorical hug and kiss to you.

Usually, living in the U.S., and Los Angeles in particular, is no cause for complaint...especially in regards to concerts. At some point, EVERYONE and their grandmother plays L.A.

But there have been a few times when the U.S. got the shaft when it came to amazing tours that bypassed the good old USA. One of them was the Priory of Brion tour. I'm so jealous of those overseas that got to witness this unique moment in Robert Plant's musical life.

At least we have a few boots and YouTube clips.

Oh, and if you're wondering about other great tours that skipped the US, two that were especially painful to me were the following:

1. 1987 Prince Sign O' the Times Tour. Killer album, killer band...just one look at the Sign O' the Times movie will give you a taste of what Europe got to see, but not US. :(

2. 1993 Velvet Underground reunion tour. At least I'd seen Prince in concert many times. The Velvet Underground, on the other hand, I had never had the chance to see and I figured I never would. The Velvets have been in my all-time top ten bands for most of my life; below Led Zeppelin and the Beatles, but definitely hovering in the top five. So when the Velvet Underground reunited for the 1993 European tour, I was simultaneously ecstatic and worried. Ecstatic that they had regrouped and hopeful for them to tour the US after Europe. Worried that Lou Reed and John Cale would come to blows before the end of the European tour and the band would part before even getting a chance to play the USA.

Obviously, that's pretty much what happened, and I was denied my dream of seeing the Velvet Underground.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Alas I missed PoB's gig in the then HQ venue (now Academy) in Dublin in 1999. T'was a fiscally rough time (what's changed in Ireland, sez ye!) and I was more of a Page fan at the time, to be hideously and regretfully honest.

I note the Dublin 1999 gig's not listed on the official Plant website but I definitely saw ads for it in the papers. And hmm I'll have to suss out some of those PoB boots... anyone, anyone, Bueller PM me about them? :P

• 1 month later...

I also went to the Coventry and Milton Keynes shows.They were all great shows, and it was a rare opportunity to see Robert play at such small intimate venues.

I was at those 2 shows too. :bubble:

Archived