RIP Evel Knievel

Jahfin

"On April 1, 2007, Knievel announced to a worldwide audience that he "believed in Jesus Christ" for the first time. He professed his personal faith in Christ to more than 4,000 people who gathered inside the Crystal Cathedral for Palm Sunday services in Orange County, California, and to millions via an Hour of Power telecast of the service to over 100 countries.

Knievel told how he had refused for 68 years to convert to Christianity because he didn’t want to surrender his lifestyle of "the gold and the gambling and the booze and the women." He explained his conversion experience by saying, "All of a sudden, I just believed in Jesus Christ. I did, I believed in him!" Knievel said he knew people were praying for him, including his daughter's church, his ex-wife's church, and the hundreds of people who wrote letters urging him to believe.

Knievel recounted how he "rose up in bed and, I was by myself, and I said, 'Devil, Devil, you bastard you, get away from me. I cast you out of my life….' I just got on my knees and prayed that God would put his arms around me and never, ever, ever let me go." At his request, he was baptized before the congregation and TV cameras by Dr. Robert H. Schuller, Founding Pastor of the Crystal Cathedral. Christianity Today reported that "...Knievel's testimony triggered mass baptisms at the Crystal Cathedral."

Source: Wikipedia

I believe I read somewhere the other day that Bullitt is about to recieve the deluxe reissue treatment on DVD. Anyway, I hate to derail this thread any further but now that the subject is on Steve McQueen I just had to pass on these lyrics from a Drive-By Truckers song. They used to perform with a tapestry of Steve McQueen behind them, right next to that was a Lynyrd Skynyrd banner.

Steve McQueen Steve McQueen

When I was a little boy I wanted to grow up to be

The coolest doggone motherscratcher on the silver screen

I’d drive real fast everywhere no one would ever catch me

and I’d kick your ass if you pissed me off so be careful what you ask me

and I’d never have an empty bottle or an empty bed

and as cool as Paul Newman is I bet Steve could whup his head

Steve McQueen............................

Bullitt was my favorite movie that I’d ever seen

I totaled my go-cart trying to imitate that chase scene

That Duster had six hubcaps, know what I mean?

and I love the way they all flew off when it landed in that ravine

Steve McQueen............................

I really loved The Getaway back when I was eight

that pussy Alec Baldwin sucked in the remake

and speaking of pussy, I guess Steve got it all

He fucked Faye Dunaway and he fucked Ali McGraw!

When I was a little boy I wanted to grow up to be

The coolest goddamn motherfucker on the silver screen

(yee-haw)

(Suddenly the scene turns slow and somber, as a campfire harp plays in the background)

I went to see The Hunter on my first date

The Hunter was the last movie Steve McQueen lived to make

They took my drivers license when I was just sixteen

the year Mesothelioma killed Steve McQueen

Lyrics by Patterson Hood

Music by Drive-by Truckers (Cooley, Hood, Howell, Lane, Neff, Stacy)

©1998 Soul Dump Music

Dedicated to my grandfather W. M. Patterson

(Mesothelioma is a rare cancer of the lining of the lung caused by exposure to asbestos. It’s mortality rate is known to be extremely high.)

^ The Hunter. A very underappreciated McQueen film. Favorite scene is still when he enters the boathouse to catch that one big guy whose banging his girl, he stops to investigate the train set, sporting a big smile just like a little kid. Classic Steve.

Very sad, as a kid growing up in the 70's, we all worshiped Evel. All the kids in the neighborhood would build bike ramps and see who could get the most air, I took many a spill pretending I was EK. I remember having the rev up Evel action figures complete with motorcycle, my cousin had the Snake Rive rocket...we loaded it with fire crackers and tried to launch it over a ditch in our neighborhood. God Bless Evel....Thanks for all the great memories.

This thread just caught my eye.

I haven't been watching tv or listening to the radio lately and didn't here the news.

I wasn't as wild as some of the other kids in the neighborhood but we had the ramps too.

As a kid, I used to draw pics of the Snake River episode.

I swear there was a point in time when Elvis, Evel, and The Osmonds were all jumbled up in my mind what with the jump suits and the big collars.

I just recieved my new issue of Maxim yesterday;and there's a profile/interview of him.

At the beginning of the article,his first comment directly to the reporter:"I'm dying.This may be the last interview I ever do."

He holds the world record for most broken bones in a lifetime (433 by 1975).

Legit rider or not;he's a badass.

...and Steve McQueen is the ultimate badass.

The really eery part about Evel dying the other day was I received a copy of the new Maxim Mag on Monday and inside was a huge article on Evel and how he's still cheating death. The man comes around..

So did I;the day he died.

Kind of gives the whole article a new perspective,doesn't it?

Oh yeah....Steve McQueen kicked ass....many of my mates uderrated him in the flick The Blob (late 50s original), but I saw the future ULTIMATE movie star coming out there....long live Evil and Steve....lest we forget :)

Steve and Natalie Wood....unforgettable..

NATANDSMCQUEEN.jpg

I remember when he jumped at the Cow Palace in San Francisco and he got into it with the Hells Angels and one Angel got his head smunched by a board and he went out on a stretcher. I'm supposing Evel wasn't popular with the Angels after that, just like the Stones with Altamont. :blink:

Back in the 70's... I purchased the premiere edition of EasyRider Magazine.

If I just just find that mag... it would be worth some cash today !!

Yep, I had that issue too. I was living in Las Vegas at the time. I do have issue #1 of 'In The Wind' and the first issue of 'Iron Horse'. B)

Archived