Robert Plant - Official Statement

sam_webmaster

It was clear Aqua and I happen to agree with your opinion of that song. Not schlock at all. Anyone who thinks so needs to turn their speakers up the next time they hear it

Yes I was the one who called Cool Tall One pop schlock, and in comparison to Achilles Last Stand, Kashmir or The Rain Song,...it is.

And no need to turn the speakers up. It only gets more annoying.

But that's just my opinion.

Yes I was the one who called Cool Tall One pop schlock, and in comparison to Achilles Last Stand, Kashmir or The Rain Song,...it is.

And no need to turn the speakers up. It only gets more annoying.

But that's just my opinion.

Obviously, it's a completely different type of song. That's like comparing Kashmir to Hot Dog.

Thank you!

Here's the point I was making, I'll try making it again: he (rather testily, I thought)expressed annoyance and frustration that people kept being interested in Led Zeppelin, and that interest naturally increased as he approached the end of his current project.

But, he brought that on himself by not ending speculation either immediately, or at any time during the past 10 months.

I'm not slagging him for remaining silent, I'm slagging him for being disingenously upset that his own silence was somehow frustrating and annoying to him. (Coincidentally, now that his tour is ending, record sales are falling, and it no longer behooved him to remain coy on the subject of Led Zeppelin... he's no longer silent.)

Perhaps he could have taken a few minutes (or heck, 10 months!) to think about how he was going to approach disappointing James Page, John Paul Jones, Jason Bonham and millions of fans. Complaining about how annoyed and frustrated HE is was not the most gracious way of going about that, maybe?

He might have tried, say, "after serious thought and consideration, I have decided to take two years' hiatus. I wish my colleagues in Led Zeppelin the best in the world, and much success in their future endeavors together, but I will not be joining them in the studio or on tour for the foreseeable future [or ever, if that's how he feels]. I will be signing my 1/4 veto power over to Jimmy so that I no longer stand in the way of my colleagues being able to proceed with Zeppelin-related projects, which I am no longer interested it. Thank you."

Hey, I'd have been happy to be his fucking publicist, this shit isn't that hard, honestly.

'Course, he hardly needs one now.

Nonsense to say the least :rolleyes:

Obviously, it's a completely different type of song. That's like comparing Kashmir to Hot Dog.

You're right. Hot Dog smokes though. Tall Cool One isn't that bad. Maybe it was the Coke commercial that did it for me. I dunno.

For the record though and having listened to Zep for 35 years, there are only two Zep tunes I don't like. Hats off to Roy Harper (ate too many magic mushrooms when I was 16 and my friends played that song over and over) and The Crunge. Weird.

Not bad though. 2 out of how many.(And Plants solo stuff I like except,...)

You're right. Hot Dog smokes though. Tall Cool One isn't that bad. Maybe it was the Coke commercial that did it for me. I dunno.

For the record though and having listened to Zep for 35 years, there are only two Zep tunes I don't like. Hats off to Roy Harper (ate too many magic mushrooms when I was 16 and my friends played that song over and over) and The Crunge. Weird.

Not bad though. 2 out of how many.(And Plants solo stuff I like except,...)

Part of the reason my thoughts on Tall Cool One were misconstrued elsewhere had to do with the Coke commercial, which I didn't like either! But the song was later adapted for the ad, it wasn't written for it (I know YOU didn't say it was, but others seem to be under that impression).

I just think it's a fun song, plus it's got Page on guitar. :D

^^Nothing the rest of us don't know.

Same with any guitarist Robert has worked with. The thing is, Robert never went looking to "replace" Jimmy or the rhythm section because the style of music he was doing on his own was so different and he sought out musicians who would support that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're correct up to a point. For me anyway. With Robbie Blunt on guitar I really loved what Robert was trying to portray in his solo career. Really moody and suitable to his voice and I thought Plant and Blunt had a very unique sound in tandem. When he got in Phil Johnstone, Doug Boyle and the pretty boy brigade he lost me. Playing Zeppelin songs with the 1980's guitar sound Boyle had was just too much. I liked Now and Zen pretty much but Nirvana is the pits for me. Forget it.

Well, this is obviously a matter of taste. I thought Manic Nirvana and Fate of Nations were two of his best solo albums, and that "pretty boy" rhythm section of Jones and Blackwell really smoked. I think Doug Boyle is a shit hot guitarist too, and I prefer his style to Robbie Blunt's. But, again, it's all down to taste.

Well, this is obviously a matter of taste. I thought Manic Nirvana and Fate of Nations were two of his best solo albums, and that "pretty boy" rhythm section of Jones and Blackwell really smoked. I think Doug Boyle is a shit hot guitarist too, and I prefer his style to Robbie Blunt's. But, again, it's all down to taste.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree. Taste is subjective. My comment was in regards to Nine Lives saying Robert never tried to replace Jimmy Page. One of the in-the -know types recently stated on this forum, Robert's management recommended the inclusion of Zeppelin material for the 1988 tour. That was a commercial decision that would increase his sales and profile after Shaken and Stirred. So getting someone in to play Jimmy's songs and guitar parts is not trying to emulate Page?

Well I am just going to go with what i said when the thread started about Jimmy& Jonesy being in the studio recording. I will wait for somethhing official to come out. And that was ages ago now and we really are no clearer as to whats going on.

People are moaning about Robert making a statement so I would like to hear from Jimme et al just what they are doing/planning.

We have daft threads asking what the title of the album should be when we have no confirmation of anything yet. :blink:

Also who should be the vocalist. if there is to be an album and tour I will put my trust in Jimmy and Jonesy that any vocalist they may or may not have chosen will do justice to any Zeppelin material they play.

I don't give a flying fuck about what the Plant attackers think, he is THE MAN when it comes to singing Zep with whoever he sings them with and however he chooses to sing them and whoever does the job has a difficult nye on impossible task in following him.

But personally I want to see a certain Mr Page up there on a stage at some point. if a certain Mr Jones just happens to be to the left of him then I will be an even happier man.

No one is or has been standing in their way despite what some feckless people here say, so lets hope something is announced soon and its good. B)

I just think once you get old enough, reach a certain age, the last thing you'd ever want to do is repeat things you did as a teenager or as a young man just turned 20. Even though Plant sang for the legendary Zeppelin it might be this way for him. Why bring up history if there's no present? As a lifelong Who fan I have to admire Plant for not wanting to reform and tour. If it's going to be a nostalgia trip.......why bother?

I wish Pete Townshend would get a clue from Plant's decision actually. Lastly, I think his deep friendship with John Bonham has a lot to do with this too.

Well done Robert. I might not like your decision but I certainly respect it completely.

Regards;

:D

:P

No one here thinks that Plant is in the way of Page, Jonesy, and Jason Bonham doing new music and touring, whether together or separately. But Plant is in the way of a Led Zeppelin reunion. And that is an undeniable fact whether you're okay with it or not.

Go back and re read some of the threads and spot the ones that satetd that he was. :blink:

Who confirmed that there would be anything after the 02?

It is not an undeniable fact cos nothing was ever agreed betwen them. Your poor little boy hurt stuff gets in the way of your objectivity <_<

Fact!!!

Thank you!

Here's the point I was making, I'll try making it again: he (rather testily, I thought)expressed annoyance and frustration that people kept being interested in Led Zeppelin, and that interest naturally increased as he approached the end of his current project.

But, he brought that on himself by not ending speculation either immediately, or at any time during the past 10 months.

I'm not slagging him for remaining silent, I'm slagging him for being disingenously upset that his own silence was somehow frustrating and annoying to him. (Coincidentally, now that his tour is ending, record sales are falling, and it no longer behooved him to remain coy on the subject of Led Zeppelin... he's no longer silent.)

Perhaps he could have taken a few minutes (or heck, 10 months!) to think about how he was going to approach disappointing James Page, John Paul Jones, Jason Bonham and millions of fans. Complaining about how annoyed and frustrated HE is was not the most gracious way of going about that, maybe?

He might have tried, say, "after serious thought and consideration, I have decided to take two years' hiatus. I wish my colleagues in Led Zeppelin the best in the world, and much success in their future endeavors together, but I will not be joining them in the studio or on tour for the foreseeable future [or ever, if that's how he feels]. I will be signing my 1/4 veto power over to Jimmy so that I no longer stand in the way of my colleagues being able to proceed with Zeppelin-related projects, which I am no longer interested it. Thank you."

Hey, I'd have been happy to be his fucking publicist, this shit isn't that hard, honestly.

'Course, he hardly needs one now.

Sales have fallen - the record is a year old. That's not uncommon for most records. It still went platinum so I don't think you can say it wasn't a success.

Are you a Zep fan at all? You seem to think the only worthwhile part of Zep is Page and he'll tell you there were four people that made that band great. It may have been his idea to form a band initially but can you honestly say it would have been great without Robert? Why do you constantly slag him? You attack the Plant apologists or whatever you want to label them and yet you find your continuous nasty remarks okay? I don't get it at all.

You know they are all adults and all have their own lives. None of them owe each other or us a damned thing. They gave us some of the most amazing music ever. How much more do they need to do. It's their lives and however they choose to live it is up to them. I hope they choose to keep making music for a long time whether together or apart.

Oh and publicity isn't as easy as you might think. And somehow I hardly think you'd be first on his list of people to hire.

Hey man what happened to all that " Jimmy Page's return to the guitar" positive hype you espoused earlier? Page has nothing to prove and he'll play and record when he chooses to. Les Paul didn't touch his guitar for over ten years at one point. When he did reapply himself to his axe he came out smoking and hasn't stopped since. And he's in his nineties. Jeff Beck put out no new material between 1989-1999 and he's still slamming. It 'd be great to see Jimmy doing it again but I'm not downing out the guy if it's not in my time frame of expectation.

Well, man, I was simply conveying what Jimmy himself had been saying. He did leave

Japan, for example, expressing personal determination to make a return to the guitar.

Now that there is no possibility of further collaboration with Robert, I wouldn't be at

all surprised if he elects to do nothing, for as you state quite correctly he has nothing left to prove. IMHO, what has been suggested he do next reeks of parody, cliche and approximation.

Your doing little more than arguing semantics here. The meaning of the above and the

intent of what he did say is virtually identical, save for the reference to 1/4 veto power

which is either irrelevent or doesn't exist, depending on whom you wish to believe.

Well, man, I was simply conveying what Jimmy himself had been saying. He did leave

Japan, for example, expressing personal determination to make a return to the guitar.

Now that there is no possibility of further collaboration with Robert, I wouldn't be at

all surprised if he elects to do nothing, for as you state quite correctly he has nothing left to prove. IMHO, what has been suggested he do next reeks of parody, cliche and approximation.

I recall you weren't real big on Page's Olympic involvement. I thought it was pretty cool for Page to be seen in a different manner. My wife dug it and it seemed like fun for him. What can I say? I think he'll be back playing on form at some point. Robert Plant is not his sole catalyst. It's too bad you describe Page's future in such bleak terms. As a guitarist and composer I know what he's capable of. No feeble fan here.

Your doing little more than arguing semantics here. The meaning of the above and the

intent of what he did say is virtually identical, save for the reference to 1/4 veto power

which is either irrelevent or doesn't exist, depending on whom you wish to believe.

??? get a grip and a life.

I recall you weren't real big on Page's Olympic involvement. I thought it was pretty cool for Page to be seen in a different manner. My wife dug it and it seemed like fun for him. What can I say? I think he'll be back playing on form at some point. Robert Plant is not his sole catalyst. It's too bad you describe Page's future in such bleak terms. As a guitarist and composer I know what he's capable of. No feeble fan here.

No, I wasn't particularly big on that, nor the Foo-Led jam, nor the 02. However, I can

appreciate how each was a meaningful foray for him, if not musically certainly as one who retains a zest for new life experiences.

Look, Robert is far and away Jimmy's greatest foil, and their alchemical relationship was the catalyst for so much of his accomplishments. In absence of it, his future in music,

IMHO is simply not to promising, given the overwhelming evidence of the past and his

own admission he is not inclined to maintain an active solo career of his own.

Look, Robert is far and away Jimmy's greatest foil, and their alchemical relationship was the catalyst for so much of his accomplishments. In absence of it, his future in music,

IMHO is simply not to promising, given the overwhelming evidence of the past and his

Not disagreeing, but--There remains the question of Jason Bonham leaving Foreigner, though, giving the impression at least that he's about to embark on something else?

No, I wasn't particularly big on that, nor the Foo-Led jam, nor the 02. However, I can

appreciate how each was a meaningful foray for him, if not musically certainly as one who retains a zest for new life experiences.

sorry to intrude,

i concur with steve, page's best work has been with plant, pure and simple. his work without plant is barely listenable.

Not disagreeing, but--There remains the question of Jason Bonham leaving Foreigner, though, giving the impression at least that he's about to embark on something else?

I must be one of the few who recalls Jason was already in Jimmy's band 20 years ago.

It didn't exactly set the world afire. Now here comes multiple posts claiming he's nearly every bit the drummer Bonzo was, and he will fuel their imagination, to which I will say in advance - if you say so.

I must be one of the few who recalls Jason was already in Jimmy's band 20 years ago.

It didn't exactly set the world afire. Now here comes multiple posts claiming he's nearly every bit the drummer Bonzo was, and he will fuel their imagination, to which I will say in advance - if you say so.

Possibly you misunderstood? :huh:

I was just saying that it appears that the band have something concrete in mind, if Jason has given up a paying gig to apparently become part of it. (Didn't say a word about anybody fueling anybody's imagination, and agreed with what you said about the Page/Plant relationship.)

Sheesh . . .

The cat is gonna be 65 years old in January. I can understand why he doesn't want to wake up in a hotel room in Cleveland in the middle of a solo tour. He doesn't need the bread. If he chooses to do anything it will have to be worth his time and not some pressured scenario. The same can be said for Robert as far as the perfect foil is concerned,. Name anyone superior to Jimmy in regards to playing and presentation that Robert's played with.

As far as overwhelming evidence is concerned Jimmy Page has kicked my ass live many times since I saw him with Zeppelin. That's my experience and I trust what I saw and heard.

Possibly you misunderstood? :huh:

I was just saying that it appears that the band have something concrete in mind, if Jason has given up a paying gig to apparently become part of it. (Didn't say a word about anybody feuling anybody's imagination, and agreed with what you said about the Page/Plant relationship.)

Sheesh . . .

See, this is what gives me hope. On the one hand you have people saying (and not wrongly) that he quit to spend more to time with his family.

On the other, you think, 'Why would you quit something that you were doing so well in?'. Why give that up? You still need to earn a living. You love playing. Why quit a sure thing, unless something better's come along?

I don't believe for a second that he's just resting at home, doing nothing. And the fact that they haven't concurred with Robert's statement gives me just as much hope.

Time will tell if Jimmy still has anything new left in him. With JPJ at his side I can't be anything but optimistic at this point. When has John Paul Jones let anyone down? He is the true underated one at this point.

Archived