Robert Plant - Official Statement

sam_webmaster

I don't wish to tell you when it occurred, partly because the person who said so wasn't all that willing to say much else. If you're a member of PZ, you'll know when, and perhaps understand more. I don't want to piss them off.

And what was said hasn't even been divulged, nor should it. It's the fact that something happened that adds a little more perspective as to why Robert may not want to perform with Zeppelin.

It's not rocket science. Though, clearly, manners to you, are.

Again, it's speculation - someone claiming they heard/know etc. If it hasn't been divulged then what do we have? A he said/she said situation and nothing more. It's not about rocket science but you've given absolutely nothing concrete here so I'm not sure why we are supposed to take this as fact. Not trying to give you a hard time but it's a lot of general statements if you get my point.

But he was stopped. In January of 1999.

Publicly, yes, but he was set to carry on in studio that May, following a brief holiday

and some industry-related events on the east coast. Robert cancelled participation

in those sessions at the last minute and counter-offered with August. When August

came round he remained uncommitted to continuance of their partnership, so Jimmy

and Michael (Lee) pressed on with instrumentals. Seems nothing's changed, really. :)

Hey Kevin, have you ever been on a 60+ show Bluegrass tour? Do you travel frequently on business? I do. I am in my 40s, only travel 50% and my BUTT is whipped right now. And I fly and stay in Hiltons. Just a FYI. Don't make judgements until you have done something similar to what this musician has done since April 19.

The Plant bashing on here is tiresome. For that matter, bashing any member of LZ is tiresome.

If a future reunion is meant to happen, it will. If not, then we can hope for DVDs. Bashing band members on this forum will not change the course of events.

TRUE, the Plant bashing is tiresome. He is also not some old fool who needs to have a rest like some people have implied.

Stop making Robert out to be such a wuss. True he is 60 years old, but he has not shown himself to have the makings of someone who runs home to have a rest with the rest of the elderly, just because his tour is over.

I am not making him out to be a wuss. He obviously outworks a lot of 20 year olds. He may even work more hours than a lot of people frequenting this board. He deserves a vacation from the BS in the media and on this board, which hopefully he never reads anyway.

Hey Kevin, have you ever been on a 60+ show Bluegrass tour? Do you travel frequently on business? I do. I am in my 40s, only travel 50% and my BUTT is whipped right now. And I fly and stay in Hiltons. Just a FYI. Don't make judgements until you have done something similar to what this musician has done since April 19.

The Plant bashing on here is tiresome. For that matter, bashing any member of LZ is tiresome.

If a future reunion is meant to happen, it will. If not, then we can hope for DVDs. Bashing band members on this forum will not change the course of events.

Not bashig plant or zep.... I only said I WISH i could do that 2 on 1 off thing.

I am sure there are MANY people here who would trade for his schedule in a heartbeat.

As a business owner I work 7 days a week and about 10 hours a day. I do travel alot for my job. I am constantly going from one client to another driving in terrible NY/metro area traffic.

About 4 or 5 times a month I get up at 4 am and travel 3 hours to put in a 10 hour day and drive home for a client in a different state.

Thats how I am able to maintain MY rockstar lifestyle...........

Not bashig plant or zep.... I only said I WISH i could do that 2 on 1 off thing.

I am sure there are MANY people here who would trade for his schedule in a heartbeat.

As a business owner I work 7 days a week and about 10 hours a day. I do travel alot for my job. I am constantly going from one client to another driving in terrible NY/metro area traffic.

About 4 or 5 times a month I get up at 4 am and travel 3 hours to put in a 10 hour day and drive home for a client in a different state.

Thats how I am able to maintain MY rockstar lifestyle...........

You must be in a lot better shape/younger than me. My rock star lifestyle is killing me, especially when I do two time zones/two climates in the same week. Maybe if I could hire a roadie to pack for me.....my boss will get right on that . I will tell him if I could just have one roadie I will give up my 20 vacation days a year as I will never need any time off again. :lol:

You must be in a lot better shape/younger than me. My rock star lifestyle is killing me, especially when I do two time zones/two climates in the same week. Maybe if I could hire a roadie to pack for me.....my boss will get right on that . I will tell him if I could just have one roadie I will give up my 20 vacation days a year as I will never need any time off again. :lol:

I remember those.....

My last "vacation" was to my inlaws.... LOL

Irrelevant, because, sorry to say, the mystery of the quotient is he needs Robert a hell of a lot more than Robert has needed him to make new music.

I totally misread your post at first (looong day, recently got home from work etc) and thought you meant something like Robert's been the catalyst for the quality of Jimmy's musicianship, but of course, that's crazy talk.

So new music yes, as for how good it was, well...

Are you saying that John McCain, 71 years old, can fly circles around you? He hopscotches from one clime to another daily, not just twice a week. And he's sustained TRUE physical torture in Vietnam to boot.

If your "rockstar lifestyle" is so rough, I'd say you were a wuss.

40's and it's killing you? :rolleyes:

Geez, you're older than your years.

I've said again and again, post-1977, Zeppelin was not a priority for Robert. Not that anyone can blame him.

I also recently read that something happened, at a very specific time, that may have caused an even bigger divide. I don't know specifics myself, but, from what I've read, it's something that may not have healed. If not for the other guys, then certainly for Robert. Just adding something that may but it into perspective. Zeppelin were never perfect.

Don't believe a word. It is not just bullshit, it is disgusting, disrespectful and libellous and the guy posting it should be made aware of that.

So Plant feels happy to sing Zep tunes with some hill billy sort but not Zep??? Very odd, very odd, what about Rainbow fans?, imagine them. Ritchie Blackmores new band beggars belief :blink:

That's what ledded1 and nine lives think is cool :They think its cool that Robert rejects playing old led zeppelin songs the way they are played by Jimmy or john Paul Jones when they do them on solo gigs .Like,jimmy and john Paul try to play them to original styles that they've always played them .Robert on the other hand likes to rearrange /butcher/rehash etc to make them sound sluggish hill billy style tunes.Robert has laid down the gauntlet now and said "thanks but no thanks" to jimmy and j.p.j. but wished them the best in any future projects.So ledded1 and nine lives would be really,really happy about Robert coming out of the wood work within 2 years with (wait for it) led zeppelin songs rearranged /rehashed ,part 4; just to fill the new gig set list because the "new album"(recording etc)has only 10 new songs. so (hey) Robert to fill the set list do some of your solo work. Robert has got a massive back catalog from which to choose :hysterical::thumbsup::wave: .

That's what ledded1 and nine lives think is cool :They think its cool that Robert rejects playing old led zeppelin songs the way they are played by Jimmy or john Paul Jones when they do them on solo gigs .Like,jimmy and john Paul try to play them to original styles that they've always played them .Robert on the other hand likes to rearrange /butcher/rehash etc to make them sound sluggish hill billy style tunes.Robert has laid down the gauntlet now and said "thanks but no thanks" to jimmy and j.p.j. but wished them the best in any future projects.So ledded1 and nine lives would be really,really happy about Robert coming out of the wood work within 2 years with (wait for it) led zeppelin songs rearranged /rehashed ,part 4; just to fill the new gig set list because the "new album"(recording etc)has only 10 new songs. so (hey) Robert to fill the set list do some of your solo work. Robert has got a massive back catalog from which to choose :hysterical::thumbsup::wave: .

Ledded and Nine Lives love what Robert does with Zeppelin songs solo. They also love what he does with them with Zeppelin. They also can't wait till Jimmy and Jonesy do something - Zeppelin or not.

And your problem is?

Are you saying that John McCain, 71 years old, can fly circles around you? He hopscotches from one clime to another daily, not just twice a week. And he's sustained TRUE physical torture in Vietnam to boot.

If your "rockstar lifestyle" is so rough, I'd say you were a wuss.

40's and it's killing you? :rolleyes:

Geez, you're older than your years.

My original point is that I think RP is entitled to a vacation. If he does not want to tour for two years that is his business. I personally know many musicians in Nashville that describe the business as a grind.

Yes, I am very impressed with McCain's stamina. I do wish I had his private jet and limo service and handlers. LOL

Six shows is not much travelling compared to what he's used to.

Two in NY, two in LA and two in London. or anywhere.

I'm not asking for a full blown 50 show tour like 95 or 98. Just a few shows from the greatest rock and roll band ever. Enough to do a dvd so that we can finally have a good recorded show in excellent quality recording.

The fact that it is even possible is absolutely amazing. Why not cherish the fact that it's possible to do it and use that as the momentum driver. And like I've said many times is it that bad to play with the boys?

I have bashed robert pretty bad on this board after hearing the news. Some of the stuff was way overboard, but I still honestly feel that he is an entertainer who gets paid to entertain. You do not entertain for yourself, but for others to enjoy. Millions want this and one does not. The needs of the many....comes to mind.

I feel that if anyone, not just robert, can do something to make millions of people happy they should do it. and not hold back.

It would make many, MANY people on this forum happy if you could accept that ROBERT makes the decisions about his own career. Can you please do that, and not hold back?

Everyone should know this by now. And it's time they got over it. Time to pull this thread

You know I hardly ever post but I have to put my two cents in after reading 30+ pages of people mostly whining and criticizing RP for choosing to do what inspires him and makes him happy at this point in his life. I have known since 1980 I was never going to get to see Led Zeppelin live. I was disappointed and sad since at 16 they were probably the most important thing in my life other than my boyfriend. Since then I have grown up and gotten over it, and realized that there are many many more things far more important than a rock group (even if they are the best rock group ever) or that particular boyfriend for that matter.

I frankly am surprised that RP ever worked with JP and JPJ after his son died and they couldn't bother to show up at the funeral to provide the love and support that he would have needed at that time. Perhaps he forgave them, but I wouldn't doubt he carries that hurt to this day.

To my knowledge, JP has not done anything creative in the past decade. He has regurgitated a lot of unreleased Zeppelin material for which I am grateful, but really...can't he come up with anything new? No one, including RP has held him back. His post Zep career has been spotty, and generally, in my opinion, uninspired. So instead of blaming Robert, why isn't anyone asking Jimmy where the hell he has been? Other that digging through the archives and doing Zep "coverversions" with the Black Crowes?

I would love to see Led Zeppelin. I never got to and that's one of my life's disappointments. I was thrilled to see that the O2 happened and was a success. I secretly harbored hope that there would be more shows, but doubted it all the same. Life goes on and it's shorter than you think. I wish them all much happiness and am thankful for the music that they've already created. I hope they continue to make music in whatever form and with whomever they chose as is their right.

:thumbsup: You should post more often!

Six shows is not much travelling compared to what he's used to.

Two in NY, two in LA and two in London. or anywhere.

I'm not asking for a full blown 50 show tour like 95 or 98. Just a few shows from the greatest rock and roll band ever. Enough to do a dvd so that we can finally have a good recorded show in excellent quality recording.

The fact that it is even possible is absolutely amazing. Why not cherish the fact that it's possible to do it and use that as the momentum driver. And like I've said many times is it that bad to play with the boys?

I have bashed robert pretty bad on this board after hearing the news. Some of the stuff was way overboard, but I still honestly feel that he is an entertainer who gets paid to entertain. You do not entertain for yourself, but for others to enjoy. Millions want this and one does not. The needs of the many....comes to mind.

I feel that if anyone, not just robert, can do something to make millions of people happy they should do it. and not hold back.

Musicians are artists - they're creative people who follow that muse that drives them to make music. It's not up to us to dictate what that should be doing or how they should do it.

Robert owes us nothing. Neither do Jimmy or John Paul for that matter. They gave us a gift of a lifetime - heck 28 years after they broke up, we're still here talking about what an amazing band they are. But Robert isn't just some entertainer being paid millions to entertain or we'd have either seen them doing countless Zep tours or he'd be taking over Celine Dion's slot at Vegas.

I must be one of the few who recalls Jason was already in Jimmy's band 20 years ago.

It didn't exactly set the world afire. Now here comes multiple posts claiming he's nearly every bit the drummer Bonzo was, and he will fuel their imagination,

He's not even close.....he doesnt have 'the swing'

Jimmy and JPJ play them to original styles in their solo gigs?

Hard to tell--they don't play them very often, do they? :whistling:

Archived