Robert Plant - Official Statement

sam_webmaster

This is an official statement from Robert, which I've posted on his website.

-Sam

---

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss are currently touring the USA on the last leg of their 'Raising Sand' tour. They played a benefit concert in Oklahoma City for victims of Hurricane Ike last Friday; Austin,Texas last Saturday and tomorrow they play Portland, Oregon before finishing the tour in Saratoga, California on October 5th.

After those dates, Robert has no intention whatsoever of touring with anyone for at least the next two years. Contrary to a spate of recent reports, Robert Plant will not be touring or recording with Led Zeppelin. Anyone buying tickets online to any such event will be buying bogus tickets.

“It‘s both frustrating and ridiculous for this story to continue to

rear its head when all the musicians that surround the story are keen to get on with their individual projects and move forward,” Robert Plant said.

“I wish Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham nothing but success with any future projects,” he added.

Thank you for this official statement from Robert Plant.I've checked TIGHT BUT LOOSE and they've almost got the same statement ;word for word.In a way; it's amazing that Led Zeppelin even did the 02 concert ,simply because Ahmet Ertegun Asked Robert when he was alive to do a follow up album/recording of the Honey Drippers. (volume 2 ) Robert really didn't wont to go that road again .(when Ahmet Ertegun was alive)Which made the Led zeppelin (02) concert such a special occasion.I really wonder if that was such a good idea of Robert to let the cat out of the bag,so to speak .Led zeppelin as a band should have known when this concert was announced that demand for tickets would be very huge, maybe the decision that this should be announced as the one and only concert "EVER" should have been made very clear way back before they played that gig.Which leads to the question why did they start this official led zeppelin web site ????and where to from now for this web site ;If (Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham) the remaining band members decide to record/tour as a new band the surly that band would have a new name and web site as well.Any way thanks for the final ;honest truthful statement. :thanku:

Last time I checked the "three J's" (how irritating that moniker is) have accomplished sweet fuck all as a unit.

Because they were waiting for Robert. Now, hopefully, they will get moving, since both JPJ and Jimmy have solo material to contribute to a group album.

it's amazing that Led Zeppelin even did the 02 concert ,simply because Ahmet Ertegun Asked Robert when he was alive to do a follow up album/recording of the Honey Drippers. (volume 2 ) Robert really didn't wont to go that road again .(when Ahmet Ertegun was alive).....

Which leads to the question why did they start this official led zeppelin web site ????and where to from now for this web site ;If (Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham) the remaining band members decide to record/tour as a new band the surly that band would have a new name and web site as well.Any way thanks for the final ;honest truthful statement. :thanku:

It is amazing indeed that Robert uses to do some of his greatest stuff, well, unwillingly. Ahmed, obviously, was this great person that supported Robert, understood him and helped with a useful advice occasionally. I really miss Honeydrippers Vol.2 more that Raising Sand. But... this is life :D

I would love it if they used the name Led Zeppelin. They are entitled to it just like Robert is entitled to go his own way.

I thought to dedicate this to Robert following his latest announcement.

Even if the recent news has broken my heart (and all the fans' in the world) in millions of pieces, I fully respect the reasons behind your decision whatever they may be and support you.

Thank You for the magic emotions and feelings your beautiful voice has given me during the existence of Led Zeppelin and beyond.

Your voice will always be THE VOICE of LZ and even though we will likely never have the chance to listen to you sing with the remaining band members again, it stays forever in the songs Led Zeppelin left us and in our heart.

I like to remember Robert as the wonderful singer he is in this beautiful song, my favorite ballad:

BABE I 'M GONNA LEAVE YOU

All The Best for Your Future, Robert! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNj9RkqYLwU

Last time I checked the "three J's" (how irritating that moniker is) have accomplished sweet fuck all as a unit. It simply remains to be seen. I do know the post-Zeppelin landscape would have been pretty barren without Robert Plant's solo endeavors. I honestly can't take much more of the revisionist history of Led Zeppelin.

Your right Steve, there really is nothing like the real thing. I can appreciate how disappointing this news must be for so many here and I don't have a rabbit to pull out of my hat but, Zeppelin is different things to different people. So much of our individual impressions are based on, did we see them, when did we see them, I've never seen them, that I don't think it would be possible to get agreement on whether a present day version of the band could really cut it. I suspect that for some it would be "jeez, that's not the band that I remember" and for other's it would be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Revisionist history ? It's all revisionist history my friend

Any particular reason why Robert announced his displeasure about the rumors on his website, and didn't include to announce it on this Official Led Zeppelin site when the issue revolved around his returning to Led Zeppelin?

Well, Sam was responsible for posting it on Robert's site, and also pinned it here, so that basically was the dual announcement.

Having read through pages of this stuff now, there seems a sort of logical disconnect in many posts--for those who think the other three are better off without Robert, never thought much of him anyway, etc., you'd think they'd be pleased in that case that the Js have got a new singer. I mean, I realize a lot of this was disappointment talking, and I empathize with that, but it does seem a rather illogical position.

Having read through pages of this stuff now, there seems a sort of logical disconnect in many posts--for those who think the other three are better off without Robert, never thought much of him anyway, etc., you'd think they'd be pleased in that case that the Js have got a new singer. I mean, I realize a lot of this was disappointment talking, and I empathize with that, but it does seem a rather illogical position.

Like I said, they should be totally happy, how wonderful that they won't be forced to hear his boring voice again. :hysterical:

Well, Sam was responsible for posting it on Robert's site, and also pinned it here, so that basically was the dual announcement.

Makes you wonder if they were ever fans of the band because up untill I joined this site, I don't ever recall that kind of stuff ever being an issue. I never thought of the band as anything more than a sum of all it's parts and to be honest, I don't ever recall friends and fans thinking any differently

I'd rather see Page, Jonesy and Jason play as an instrumental band without a singer, since Robert won't join them.

I would just find in terribly unsatisfying to hear someone else do Robert's vocal parts or even any new vocals. The 3 J's don't need a vocalist. Why would they anyway? Because so many people can't accept a completely instrumental band? They have to have words to get into it? Rubbish!!!

Makes you wonder if they were ever fans of the band because up untill I joined this site, I don't ever recall that kind of stuff ever being an issue. I never thought of the band as anything more than a sum of all it's parts and to be honest, I don't ever recall friends and fans thinking any differently

i agree ! i love them all equally, always did. yes , you can class me as a " jimmy girl " for sure, but im a zep girl too. we all know the quote about zep being the sum of the 4 parts coming together to make a 5th element ( sorry that's not verbatim, but y'know what i mean ! ) . i cant understand people who place blame on one member or another. they are human, just like us, and they all have their own lives to lead . i understand that robert has his reasons for doing what he is doing, and nothing that any of us say or do will change that.

im still bummed though. really, really dissapointed.

Imagine JP, JPJ, JB on stage playing hard and during the show, they have revolving vocalists singing their favourite LZ tunes on that particular evening i.e. Eddie Vedder, Chris Cornell, Roger Daltrey, Dave Grohl, Rob Halford, Paul Rogers, David Coverdale, and Sammy Hagar to name a few?

That would be more then worth seeing imo!

i agree ! i love them all equally, always did. yes , you can class me as a " jimmy girl " for sure, but im a zep girl too. we all know the quote about zep being the sum of the 4 parts coming together to make a 5th element ( sorry that's not verbatim, but y'know what i mean ! ) . i cant understand people who place blame on one member or another. they are human, just like us, and they all have their own lives to lead . i understand that robert has his reasons for doing what he is doing, and nothing that any of us say or do will change that.

im still bummed though. really, really dissapointed.

It's ok to be a Jimmy Girl :D But Yeah, I alway's thought that they were a bunch of real cool guy's and I can tell you that we were all into the whole Zep mystique. What a blast those day's were. There wasn't much info about the band in the early day's so all you could go by was your own live experiences and those of other's. To be honest, I think that's part of the reason they were such a success. We were forced to see for ourselves and not rely on the media. Image is a very fragile thing and means so much in the history of the band. Sometimes I think that today, we get just a little too much info handed to us. Mind you, I guess that's all we've got at the moment

I just feel pissed off, Robert has the ability as proven at The O2 Arena, i know i was there, he has the chance now to re create the biggest loudest bad ass rock band the world has ever witnessed, this group has the power to blow people away, i cant understand why he doesn't want to do it......as for the clown that said something along the Elvis lines, bout digging him up, lets remember robert is alive and well and god forbid something does happen to one of them. I just feel that this is the ideal situation for them to get together record new material and BOOM let loose. Maybe just me being selfish but i can guarentee, once you have seen them live you just want more, they are like a very addictive drug.

Imagine JP, JPJ, JB on stage playing hard and during the show, they have revolving vocalists singing their favourite LZ tunes on that particular evening,

Personally, I'd hate to see these guys do a Santana Supernatural "Live" approximation.

Let their instruments do the talking (singing).

Personally, I'd hate to see these guys do a Santana Supernatural "Live" approximation.

Let their instruments do the talking (singing).

I'm not into that idea either. However, everyone is going to have an opinion as to what this project should look and sound like. I'm looking forward to whatever comes

Sorry= What I meant to say was why Robert's statement wasn't announced in the "News" section. Some fans don't want to join the forum, but they do click on the NEWS to keep up instead.

Sorry= What I meant to say was why Robert's statement wasn't announced in the "News" section. Some fans don't want to join the forum, but they do click on the NEWS to keep up instead.

Gotcha.

Well, I guess that was down to Sam more than Robert, since he was doing the posting . . .? Perhaps he can answer your question.

It occurred to me later that since the announcement was only about Zeppelin in a negative sense (a band he's NOT rejoining), perhaps it didn't count as official Zeppelin news, but was of sufficient interest to be pinned on the forum?

I just feel pissed off, Robert has the ability as proven at The O2 Arena, i know i was there, he has the chance now to re create the biggest loudest bad ass rock band the world has ever witnessed, this group has the power to blow people away, i cant understand why he doesn't want to do it......as for the clown that said something along the Elvis lines, bout digging him up, lets remember robert is alive and well and god forbid something does happen to one of them. I just feel that this is the ideal situation for them to get together record new material and BOOM let loose. Maybe just me being selfish but i can guarentee, once you have seen them live you just want more, they are like a very addictive drug.

Robert's career has been about constant change and exploration. If he's done something musically already, he's not likely to do it again for he'd rather involve himself in an area of music he hasn't done.

Robert's statement comes as a relief to me.... Straight and to the point, and hopefully this ends all of the speculation once and for all.

Not that he needs it any way, shape, or form, but if he were to read this, I'd want him to know that he has my complete respect and support for his position. He surely knows that he now leaves himself open to the endless "Robert bashing" that will no doubt follow this statement, but I for one applaud his integrity and courage.

My band, OUR BAND, now goes out out on top, and they maintain their rightful place with The Beatles as the two most influential and beloved bands in the history of the genre. Could they have done it, could they have toured as Led Zeppelin and maintained the lofty standards that we have all come to expect? More than likely.... But eventually, they would have also been open to the inevitable backlash and cheap shotting that goes with being on top.

How many shows would they have played, COULD they have played? And when would enough be enough? The demand would have endlessy exceeded the supply, and in today's world of "legal" price gouging of tickets and e-bay bidding wars, the TRUE fan that loves this band from the bottom of their heart would have been on the outside looking in most of the time. The same corporate and personal greed that has the financial world in complete dissarray would have found a way to poison their return, and fan disapointment and public critisism of the band would surely creep in. The common fan would have to take out a second mortgage (not that you can even get one nowadays) to see them unless they won a lottery or some other long shot. In 1977, I paid $20 for a second row seat. $20!!!!!!!!! Don't you think, especially with a limited number of engagements, $20,000 isn't out of the question today for that same seat?

Concert attendance would become the domain of the elite; celebrities, politicians, and well to do's who couldn't tell you the first thing about what this band was about, but know that it would be "The event to be seen at." The rest of us would be relegated to waiting for boots and a perhaps an official DVD release.

This ain't the 70's, and no matter how much we want to, those of us who were there can't go back. And unfortunately for a whole new generation of young and younger fans, they'll probably never get to witness the spectacle of what a Led Zeppelin show was.... Light and shade, beauty, drama, and otherworldly power.... I was fortunate enough to have seen them many times, so perhaps it's not as bad for me to never experience the band again. I can remember them as they were, and nobody can ever, ever, take that away from me....

I'm looking forward to anything Jimmy, JPJ, Robert, and Jason do in the future, be it individually or as a collaboration.... They're my guys, always were, and always will be.

Great post! I agree with everything you have written. I am sad about this but I do respect Robert for being true to himself and not just doing a tour for the cash etc...He doesn't need the $$ and I respect him for not cashing in on this! I wouldn't want him touring with the J's if his heart wasn't in it. I have never seen them live and have always wanted to but I guess it isn't meant to be. I have seen Jimmy with The Firm in the 80's and last week saw Robert with Alison/T-Bone live in concert and feel lucky that I did get to do that.

As you stated in your post if they would have reunited and toured the tickets would have been sold to highest bidder be it on ebay or scalped or bought by Corporations and then used by the elite that have that kind of cash. The average person that is the Led Zeppelin fan wouldn't be able to get tickets or afford them.

I think we all need to just chill out and be thankful that 3 of the 4 original guys from our band are still with us on this earth. I am a huge fan of Led Zeppelin and have been since I was in high school (late 70's/early80's) and like I said have always wanted to see them live in concert but if it doesn't happen I will survive! The world will not end if they do not reunite and tour. On a up note, I hope the J's do something together and do tour and if they do I will hope I can be lucky enough to see them live!

Robert's career has been about constant change and exploration. If he's done something musically already, he's not likely to do it again for he'd rather involve himself in an area of music he hasn't done.

" JAZZ ODYSSEY , I HOPE YOU LIKE IT " :o

Archived