Robert Plant - Official Statement

sam_webmaster

Maybe he could have a heart and suck it up and give us a few shows? It's not like he didn't enjoy the 02 or that it's not enjoyable to play with them. or is it?

And I just can't imagine how the other guys feel. We're all healthy, able and all but one unwilling. It really makes me wonder, is it really that bad playing with these guys? Has your taste and direction changed that much that you won't even do a few shows to please the masses?

His time with Zep provided a boatload of glory and a shitload of heartache. I think, in the end, that the heartache trumped the glory....especially at his age.

It's best that we leave him be and he will work things out on his own terms.

His time with Zep provided a boatload of glory and a shitload of heartache. I think, in the end, that the heartache trumped the glory....especially at his age.

You may be right about that. He seemed far more light-hearted in the earlier days. But throughout life, both the younger years and the later ones, all people strive to maintain themselves in a state of grace.

After some extra time to think it over (and of course, put in perspective with our stock market's biggest crash in its entire history... EAT IT, 1929!), I have come to this conclusion:

Good for you, Robert Plant, to come out with an official statement. Thank you very much, because I was getting sick and tired of the rumors and hearsay! You have made it quite clear what I can and can't look forward to in my future.

But fuck you very much for shitting on my dream!

Why am I pissed at Plant, people? Because he's shit on my dream, that's why. I'm being an angry, selfish, 21-year-old who missed the greatest 20 years in music ever (60's and 70's) to be born in a time when music is so God-damned bad and artists are so God-damned untalented that they use computers to write music! My musical era boasts rap, hip-hop, boy-band pop, Disney, Britney Spears, and Paris Hilton, none of which would be popular if not for RIAA-controlled shit like MTV, VH1, and Clear Channel. A resurgence of Led Zeppelin today might have single-handedly saved Top-40. So you'll forgive if I was hoping for a gleam of music that was actually good.

Now...

If Led Zeppelin got back on stage with Robert Plant, would I go and see it, despite my intense dislike of the man (as someone asked me back on page 8 or so of this thread)?

HELL YES I WOULD!

Does that make me a hypocrite?

Yes?

Well then WORLD WIDE HYPOCRITE DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will put the banner on my fucking shirt and wear it proud, bitch! If there's a Hypocrite-Pride parade, you'll see me marching right up front, motherfucker!

Why? Because I LOVE LED ZEPPELIN! LED ZEPPELIN IS THE GREATEST FUCKING BAND IN THE ENTIRE WORLD! NO BAND HAS EVER DONE WHAT LED ZEPPELIN DID AND NO BAND WILL EVER COME CLOSE!

What is Led Zeppelin? James "Zoso" Patrick Page, Robert "Percy" Anthony Plant, John "Jonesy Paul Jones" Baldwin, and, for the 2000's, I will accept Jason Bonham, and only Jason Bonham, as the only acceptable fill-in for his father, the late, great, John "Bonzo" Henry Bonham.

So am I being childish, immature, and just plain dickish for being pissed at Plant for saying no? Probably. Am I being a selfish, cry-baby fan? Yes. Do I give a shit? FUCK NO! I'M PROUD TO BE SELFISH, CHILDISH, AND DICKISH ABOUT IT!!!!!!

So forgive me if I don't wax poetry about a man who's shit on my dream.

Don't get me wrong. I do respect the man for giving this statement, and I appreciate his point of view and his want to go out and try new things. Hell, I've even liked a little bit of those new things (despite what I've said in the past, Mighty Rearranger is a good album, I've found some enjoyable tunes off of 66 to Timbuktu, I loved his stint with Jimmy Page [despite it's glaring lack of John Paul Jones], and I quite enjoy what he did with Allison Krauss and I'm curious as to what originals he could write with her).

I just don't understand what's so horrible about bringing in his old bandmates for some of that. Why do people (and why does Robert) insist that giving Zeppelin another go at it would be as big a travesty as the Rolling Stones 2, Queen 2, and The Who 2? Why does everyone (indeed, why does Plant) seem to think that Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones would allow that?

There is a major difference between the members of Led Zeppelin and all those other bands. The members of Led Zeppelin have dignity. Even Jimmy Page, despite questionable alliances in the past (but how much of that can we blame on Jimmy and how much on drugs?) has dignity. And none of them would allow it to become a giant commercialized franchise running purely on heroine and groupies.

Who says Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones, with Jason Bonham on the drums, can't foray into new musical territory? Who says they can't "try new things?" Who says Led Zeppelin can't be a vehicle for something new, fresh, and exciting?

I think the problem Robert Plant and you purists out there have is that when it comes to music (and this music in particular), you won't look at the future, but the past. You all say "Led Zeppelin is the past" and "Led Zeppelin died in 1980." But you refuse to acknowledge the possibility that even a Zeppelin can be sent on one more flight no matter how many years its been docked.

Telling me Led Zeppelin is dead is like saying the Blues is dead and that no one can play it anymore, despite it's current underground revival. Telling me Led Zeppelin is dead is like telling me Jimi Hendrix's music and Stevie Ray Vaughn's music is dead. Telling me Led Zeppelin is dead is like telling me that Jim Morrison does not live on through his words, his poetry, and his lyrics. Telling me Led Zeppelin is dead is like telling me their music never stood the test of time and does not resonate today.

A Zeppelin doesn't die. It simply gets docked... put away. And the only problem with this Zeppelin is that it needs a captain. And that captain is Robert Plant. So why not give it one more flight? Why not?

I think the problem Robert Plant and you purists out there have is that when it comes to music (and this music in particular), you won't look at the future, but the past. You all say "Led Zeppelin is the past" and "Led Zeppelin died in 1980." But you refuse to acknowledge the possibility that even a Zeppelin can be sent on one more flight no matter how many years its been docked.

Some "purists" may have said such things but don't throw us all under the bus. I alway's look forward to all new releases from former Zep members and have continued to hope for some sort of short reunion. Never once considered them as has-beens or fossils.

I certainly admire your courage to speak your mind with regards to this issue but perhaps you missed the flight? History states that the final voyage happened less than 1 year ago....Dec.10/2007. And now the good airship is in for a remodel and refurbish. It will reappear under a different banner but the engineers will still thrill all with it's enormity and precision.

I don't care what they call it...just launch the fucker already!

My friend, the very fact that you entertain this mentality disqualifies you from being a purist. The very definition of a Led Zeppelin purist in the world of Led Zeppelin is one who refuse to entertain the idea of Led Zeppelin in the present or future, and if it does happen, they sure as hell better not use the name "Led Zeppelin."

Some "purists" may have said such things but don't throw us all under the bus. I alway's look forward to all new releases from former Zep members and have continued to hope for some sort of short reunion. Never once considered them as has-beens or fossils.

I'm not saying "has-beens" or "fossils" so much as... well... past. Still here, still strong... and the music is still alive... but it isn't present or future. You know... like Jethro Tull or such. Amazing music (I am a fan), but they just don't translate well to the modern world (IMO).

I certainly admire your courage to speak your mind with regards to this issue but perhaps you missed the flight? History states that the final voyage happened less than 1 year ago....Dec.10/2007.

And purists will disagree. To purists, the flight ended on September 25, 1980. December 10, 2007 was not Led Zeppelin to them, and they say it should not have been called "Led Zeppelin."

And now the good airship is in for a remodel and refurbish. It will reappear under a different banner but the engineers will still thrill all with it's enormity and precision.

I don't care what they call it...just launch the fucker already!

But it won't be Led Zeppelin, and that's what I'm talking about. Obviously Page, Jones, and Bonham, Jr can launch a new flight. But it won't be the Led Zeppelin. That's the ship I want to see fly one more time. And only Robert Plant can be at the helm of the Led Zeppelin. No other singer can do it. And, normally, I'd say on John Bonham could run the engine, but we got lucky with Jason Bonham, so he's allowed under the name of Led Zeppelin. But only him.

So am I being childish, immature, and just plain dickish for being pissed at Plant for saying no? Probably. Am I being a selfish, cry-baby fan? Yes. Do I give a shit? FUCK NO! I'M PROUD TO BE SELFISH, CHILDISH, AND DICKISH ABOUT IT!!!!!!

Bloody hell. :rolleyes:

Get off it already.

Bloody hell. :rolleyes:

Get off it already.

I'm sorry. Does it bother you? Does it bother you that some of us don't fall into line like good little drones and wax Plant poetry?

I know what I feel and I know that I'm upset and I know that I may respect Plant but I'm damn pissed at him. And you know what? I'm not gonna lie and say "good on him" just to make you happy.

I'm pissed and I'll shout form the mountains and if you gotta problem with it, buy earplugs.

I'M BEING HONEST! If honesty is too much for you, that's your problem.

My friend, the very fact that you entertain this mentality disqualifies you from being a purist. The very definition of a Led Zeppelin purist in the world of Led Zeppelin is one who refuse to entertain the idea of Led Zeppelin in the present or future, and if it does happen, they sure as hell better not use the name "Led Zeppelin."

I'm not saying "has-beens" or "fossils" so much as... well... past. Still here, still strong... and the music is still alive... but it isn't present or future. You know... like Jethro Tull or such. Amazing music (I am a fan), but they just don't translate well to the modern world (IMO).

And purists will disagree. To purists, the flight ended on September 25, 1980. Dec. 10, 2007 was not Led Zeppelin to them, and should not have been called "Led Zeppelin."

But it won't be Led Zeppelin, and that's what I'm talking about. Obviously Page, Jones, and Bonham, Jr can launch a new flight. But it won't be the Led Zeppelin. That's the ship I want to see fly one more time. And only Robert Plant can be at the helm of the Led Zeppelin. No other singer can do it. And, normally, I'd say on John Bonham could run the engine, but we got lucky with Jason Bonham, so he's allowed under the name of Led Zeppelin. But only him.

I understand everything you are saying but we can't change the past and we must cope with the present.

The way i look at this situation is thus: Jimmy Page has a keen interest in bring the music of Zeppelin back to the people who want it. He has support from JPJ and Jason and will most likely find a capable vocalist. This is what we have, our only option. Take it or leave it.

It's quite simple really. I am most grateful to have SOMETHING to look forward to and i am taking it without conditions. I am a fan, i love the music, i'm grateful that the 3j's want to do this for us and life is too short to fret about something you have no control over.

You can proceed any way you wish but i might suggest that you have to let go of your conditional acceptance/expectations, for health reasons of course.... :D

I haven't been around for a few days...

I've read the first page and this (currently last) page of the thread... I assume there's no real need to read the other 14 pages? (I didn't think so).

I'm glad Robert made an official announcement... and I'm glad Sam posted it.

I think I'll skip the page after page of the usual stuff by the usual folks.

G'nite Gracie.

Don't get me wrong. I'm quite excited to see who the J's pick and what they come out with. IMO, it'll probably be quite amazing.

But it isn't Led Zeppelin. Plant has taken care of that.

That's all I'm saying.

I understand everything you are saying but we can't change the past and we must cope with the present.

The way i look at this situation is thus: Jimmy Page has a keen interest in bring the music of Zeppelin back to the people who want it. He has support from JPJ and Jason and will most likely find a capable vocalist. This is what we have, our only option. Take it or leave it.

It's quite simple really. I am most grateful to have SOMETHING to look forward to and i am taking it without conditions. I am a fan, i love the music, i'm grateful that the 3j's want to do this for us and life is too short to fret about something you have no control over.

You can proceed any way you wish but i might suggest that you have to let go of your conditional acceptance/expectations, for health reasons of course.... :D

He lost his son, had a near fatal car accident, lost his marriage and lost his best mate!

Add his contribution to the music and I'd say he has earned the right to retire from Zeppelin, a lesser person wouldn't have lasted this long after the first tragedy.

Good luck to him.

After some extra time to think it over (and of course, put in perspective with our stock market's biggest crash in its entire history... EAT IT, 1929!), I have come to this conclusion:

Good for you, Robert Plant, to come out with an official statement. Thank you very much, because I was getting sick and tired of the rumors and hearsay! You have made it quite clear what I can and can't look forward to in my future.

But fuck you very much for shitting on my dream!

Why am I pissed at Plant, people? Because he's shit on my dream, that's why. I'm being an angry, selfish, 21-year-old who missed the greatest 20 years in music ever (60's and 70's) to be born in a time when music is so God-damned bad and artists are so God-damned untalented that they use computers to write music! My musical era boasts rap, hip-hop, boy-band pop, Disney, Britney Spears, and Paris Hilton, none of which would be popular if not for RIAA-controlled shit like MTV, VH1, and Clear Channel. A resurgence of Led Zeppelin today might have single-handedly saved Top-40. So you'll forgive if I was hoping for a gleam of music that was actually good.

Now...

If Led Zeppelin got back on stage with Robert Plant, would I go and see it, despite my intense dislike of the man (as someone asked me back on page 8 or so of this thread)?

HELL YES I WOULD!

Does that make me a hypocrite?

Yes?

Well then WORLD WIDE HYPOCRITE DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will put the banner on my fucking shirt and wear it proud, bitch! If there's a Hypocrite-Pride parade, you'll see me marching right up front, motherfucker!

Why? Because I LOVE LED ZEPPELIN! LED ZEPPELIN IS THE GREATEST FUCKING BAND IN THE ENTIRE WORLD! NO BAND HAS EVER DONE WHAT LED ZEPPELIN DID AND NO BAND WILL EVER COME CLOSE!

What is Led Zeppelin? James "Zoso" Patrick Page, Robert "Percy" Anthony Plant, John "Jonesy Paul Jones" Baldwin, and, for the 2000's, I will accept Jason Bonham, and only Jason Bonham, as the only acceptable fill-in for his father, the late, great, John "Bonzo" Henry Bonham.

Don't get me wrong. I do respect the man for giving this statement, and I appreciate his point of view and his want to go out and try new things. Hell, I've even liked a little bit of those new things (despite what I've said in the past, Mighty Rearranger is a good album, I've found some enjoyable tunes off of 66 to Timbuktu, I loved his stint with Jimmy Page [despite it's glaring lack of John Paul Jones], and I quite enjoy what he did with Allison Krauss and I'm curious as to what originals he could write with her).

I just don't understand what's so horrible about bringing in his old bandmates for some of that. Why do people (and why does Robert) insist that giving Zeppelin another go at it would be as big a travesty as the Rolling Stones 2, Queen 2, and The Who 2? Why does everyone (indeed, why does Plant) seem to think that Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones would allow that?

There is a major difference between the members of Led Zeppelin and all those other bands. The members of Led Zeppelin have dignity. Even Jimmy Page, despite questionable alliances in the past (but how much of that can we blame on Jimmy and how much on drugs?) has dignity. And none of them would allow it to become a giant commercialized franchise running purely on heroine and groupies.

Who says Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones, with Jason Bonham on the drums, can't foray into new musical territory? Who says they can't "try new things?" Who says Led Zeppelin can't be a vehicle for something new, fresh, and exciting?

Telling me Led Zeppelin is dead is like saying the Blues is dead and that no one can play it anymore, despite it's current underground revival. Telling me Led Zeppelin is dead is like telling me Jimi Hendrix's music and Stevie Ray Vaughn's music is dead. Telling me Led Zeppelin is dead is like telling me that Jim Morrison does not live on through his words, his poetry, and his lyrics. Telling me Led Zeppelin is dead is like telling me their music never stood the test of time and does not resonate today.

A Zeppelin doesn't die. It simply gets docked... put away. And the only problem with this Zeppelin is that it needs a captain. And that captain is Robert Plant. So why not give it one more flight? Why not?

So what happened to the Hindenberg?

Also I see you've calmed down a little.

You have performed a backflip the US Gymnastic team would be proud of!

As for being a purist.....

'In music, a purist is a person, or audience member who considers modifications to a particular band unnecessary or even offensive, vehemently so, if against the specific wishes of the band's creator(s).'

'I do find it intriguing that most of those who have difficulty letting go of the past, are those who were born later and never really part of it.'

RW 01/10/08.

Looking forward to Jimmy, Jonesy and Jason doing something, anything, soon.

Last time I checked the "three J's" (how irritating that moniker is) have accomplished sweet fuck all as a unit. It simply remains to be seen. I do know the post-Zeppelin landscape would have been pretty barren without Robert Plant's solo endeavors. I honestly can't take much more of the revisionist history of Led Zeppelin.

Yay Steve I would like to celebrate agreeing with you 100% here - puttng it in my diary. ;):beer:

So at last Percy is Officially Not Interested. Very sad & disappointing news, but such is life. The best of luck & happiness to him in his future endeavors, musical and otherwise.

And now, a message to Jimmy: NOW IS THE TIME FOR ACTION! Give us all the massive injection of that musical magic only you can provide. It's been far, far too long, and we're hurtin' baddd!

As much as I wanted it, I have to trust Robert. None of us were there when they got together again. Maybe it wasn't there for him musically. Perhaps Robert doesn't want to do a half-ass oldies show. I'm glad the '02 show took place for the right reason. It has to feel great knowing the demand is still strong as ever. But he was the one who made a career after Zeppelin. Look at all the money he turned away. He avoided Zeppelin for his first 4 albums after Zeppelin.

I guess I've been hanging on false hope since 1986. But in the end, I think supporting each of the former members activities as I always have is the best route. Some will let this sour thier taste for Robert Plant of today. I hope people think twice about that.

Sorry mate, but the O2 performance certainly wasn't a half- ass performance performed by old dudes! What makes you think it would have been half-ass anyway?

I really hope that Jimmy Page wasn't told about Roberts decision in the media...I hope that they discussed it as mates prior...I'm sure they did.....I hope they did......

I get the impression that wouldnt have happened.....

I really hope that Jimmy Page wasn't told about Roberts decision in the media...I hope that they discussed it as mates prior...I'm sure they did.....I hope they did......

He didn't find out about it in the media,but as for discussing it as mates.....well that's part of the issue, sadly.

Maybe he could have a heart and suck it up and give us a few shows? It's not like he didn't enjoy the 02 or that it's not enjoyable to play with them. or is it?

Personally, all the clips iv'e seen, he looks like he's hating every minute of it. Ok, maybe 'hating' is a bit harsh but he certainly looks awkward, uncomfortable, almost embarrassed and there is almost no interaction between him and JP...

Personally, all the clips iv'e seen, he looks like he's hating every minute of it. Ok, maybe 'hating' is a bit harsh but he certainly looks awkward, uncomfortable, almost embarrassed and there is almost no interaction between him and JP...

Gazz - you could easily have missed it, but as has been discussed here he was in the centre of a traumatic time at the O2. One of his best mates was watching in a wheelchair from the mixing desk area, having been brought from a hospice just for the event - he died less than two weeks later. It wasn't an easy thing for Robert to be up there by any stretch of the imagination. But he was very proud of what they did.

He didn't find out about it in the media,but as for discussing it as mates.....well that's part of the issue, sadly.

I find this interesting. I have been wondering how the relationship really is at this point. It seems clear at least that they are not the best of mates at the moment. Which if true is indeed very sad. Hopefully at least they have been discussing the issue professionaly if not as mates.

:mellow:

Calm down a bit mate.

Robert never said he disliked Led Zeppelin or Zeppelin songs. He did zep songs, 1) they are partly also his songs, 2) he didn't perform them as Zeppelin. For him, Zeppelin was gone since the day Bonzo died, he did it in O2 for Ahmet and I think it was Ok. He still loves those songs and carrys them in a rearranged way, so what's wrong with that?

... and I'ld like to add that he personally told me (when he signed a couple of records) that he's a "great fan of led zeppelin" ... of course.

Plants mention at the 02 show of -bringing jason in... sounded something like a formal welcome, or recognition of the band reforming. How serious that was...who knows? obviously it was for that show. From what i recall, plants band strange sensation was off writing for another album when he started the project with -krauss and -burnett, so this statement isnt a shock.

I hope page and jones make a record, this way jpj doesnt have to resort to making a record w/stuff like -ice fishing at night. :D

Thinking of the show in 07 and jpj jamming with ben harpers band at bonarroo, seems like -page/jones would be interested in recording/playing live, heavy music again.

Archived