Robert Plant - Official Statement

sam_webmaster

So I have a right to blame him. I can't change his mind, only he can, so it is his fault that I will never get to see the greatest band in the world live.

So, whether you agree with me or not, you cannot deny that my anger is founded. It may be childish, immature, dickish, and selfish, but it is also, I believe, quite deserved.

As I said before... I understand Plant not wanting to be a rock star, anymore. I can respect that. But he crushed my dream. I have never liked post-Zep Plant before now, and he has done nothing to change that position... only make it stronger.

You're anger is unfounded. Robert Plant has nothing to do with you not being able to see Led Zeppelin live. John Bonham's death is the reason you will never see Led Zeppelin live. If you think that Plant should go back and tour with Page, Jones and Jason Bonham then that's different. When I was watching the O2 gig last year, I knew that despite the name up on the stage, I was not at a Led Zeppelin concert. It was great but it was not Led Zeppelin. I can accept that I'm too young to ever see that band and I am just grateful that I'm able to enjoy their music.

See, the thing that made Zeppelin such a great band was that every member was equally important. One of those members has died and therefore, that band is no more. That is a fact.

Plus, you sound totally selfish. It's like you are putting your own wants over a major life decision for somebody else.

Remember that whilst Robert Plant was part of that band he lost not only his son but a lifelong friend too. I'm pretty sure he has his reasons for not wanting to do this. I for one would have been excited but I have to say, though I didn't believe the press for one minute last week, I had a horrible feeling that if the article was in fact true, Plant had gone back on his principles.

I'm so glad that he has emerged a man of great integrity and I look forward to hearing his musical ventures of the future.

You're anger is unfounded. Robert Plant has nothing to do with you not being able to see Led Zeppelin live. John Bonham's death is the reason you will never see Led Zeppelin live. If you think that Plant should go back and tour with Page, Jones and Jason Bonham then that's different. When I was watching the O2 gig last year, I knew that despite the name up on the stage, I was not at a Led Zeppelin concert. It was great but it was not Led Zeppelin.

If you knew me you'd know I hate this mentality and find it extremely false. That band at the O2 was Led Zeppelin, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. It would not have been Led Zeppelin had anyone else been on the drums. But Jason Bonham was on the drums and only Jason is worthy enough to play drums for Led Zeppelin, and he proved that on December 10, 2007.

Because of that, it is NOT John Bonham's death, but Robert Plant's "no" that keeps me from seeing Led Zeppelin live.

John Bonham is dead. One of the most tragic deaths in music history, to be sure. But Jason Bonham is alive, he's there, and he's quite capable. The FACT is that on December 10, 2007, Led Zeppelin reunited at the O2 arena. It was not a fake version, it was not a cover band, and it was not a tribute band.

It was Led Zeppelin.

I can accept that I'm too young to ever see that band and I am just grateful that I'm able to enjoy their music.

Oh I'm grateful for their music, too. My life wouldn't be the same without it. I wouldn't be in love with the guitar if it weren't for Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page.

See, the thing that made Zeppelin such a great band was that every member was equally important. One of those members has died and therefore, that band is no more. That is a fact.

Right and wrong.

Right that every member was equally important.

Wrong that because one of those members is dead, the band is no more.

I'm NOT diminishing John Bonham's role in Led Zeppelin. I'm simply saying that Jason Bonham is the one able to fill it perfectly.

Plus, you sound totally selfish. It's like you are putting your own wants over a major life decision for somebody else.

If you've read any of my posts, you'll see that I'm fully aware of this and that I don't care.

Remember that whilst Robert Plant was part of that band he lost not only his son but a lifelong friend too. I'm pretty sure he has his reasons for not wanting to do this. I for one would have been excited but I have to say, though I didn't believe the press for one minute last week, I had a horrible feeling that if the article was in fact true, Plant had gone back on his principles.

I know Robert experienced tragedy with Led Zeppelin. No need to shove the fact down my throat. And I'm sympathetic to that. But the music and the private life are two very different things. And he obviously has no problem revisiting the music, as he remakes the music into horrible Coverversions of themselves for his live shows.

Jason Bonham is no where near what his father was but that is irrelevant. He is not John Bonham and therefore once again, you are wrong when you say that at the O2, we all saw Led Zeppelin. We saw Page, Plant, Jones and JASON Bonham. That is not Led Zeppelin. End of story.

Next, I was simply stating that your point of view was a selfish one so thankyou for confirming that. If you're Ok with that then there is no need for further discussion. :)

You're anger is unfounded. Robert Plant has nothing to do with you not being able to see Led Zeppelin live. John Bonham's death is the reason you will never see Led Zeppelin live. If you think that Plant should go back and tour with Page, Jones and Jason Bonham then that's different. When I was watching the O2 gig last year, I knew that despite the name up on the stage, I was not at a Led Zeppelin concert. It was great but it was not Led Zeppelin. I can accept that I'm too young to ever see that band and I am just grateful that I'm able to enjoy their music.

I'm so glad that he has emerged a man of great integrity and I look forward to hearing his musical ventures of the future.

Oh give Nate a break! Anger isn't always 'founded' and to have someone reply as you just did to him is not acknowledge his emotions as valid. Nathan has already said he's having a temper tantrum so, we here as friends, are here to support him. Not to cut him down. He'll get over it...besides the usual points made for Robert ad nauseum your post has no value at all except be inflammitory towards a fellow board member.

Jason Bonham is no where near what his father was but that is irrelevant. He is not John Bonham and therefore once again, you are wrong when you say that at the O2, we all saw Led Zeppelin. We saw Page, Plant, Jones and JASON Bonham. That is not Led Zeppelin. End of story.

Next, I was simply stating that your point of view was a selfish one so thankyou for confirming that. If you're Ok with that then there is no need for further discussion. :)

Did you come out of lurk mode just to come in and fan the flames? Go back please. And what you just stated is your opinion...which is just as valid as Nathans, no more no less.

Maybe you should read this entire thread before you go jumping down peoples throats. Just a thought...

:hippy:

Re: The O2 concert wasn't really Led Zeppelin.

I seem to recall reading that when Zeppelin was in the studio years ago, John Bonham sent little Jason to sit behind the drums so he could do a soundcheck. John remarked later that it was the first time he had ever seen Led Zeppelin play. If Bonzo considered that lineup to be led Zeppelin, then that is good enough for me.

Thanks for the advice. He is entitled to his opinion yes, and so am I . So perhaps you shouldn't judge me so harshly since you are lobbying for freedom of speech. Why say my opinion is as valid as his right after telling me to "go back" and therefore not voice my thoughts.

I posted because I'm a member of this board and I post when I feel strongly about something. I personally don't think there is anything wrong with that. Unless of course I'm not allowed because I don't post a zillion times a day?

I am only disagreeing with Nathan not hurling insults so I really don't see what the issue is.

Thanks for the advice. He is entitled to his opinion yes, and so am I . So perhaps you shouldn't judge me so harshly since you are lobbying for freedom of speech. Why say my opinion is as valid as his right after telling me to "go back" and therefore not voice my thoughts.

I posted because I'm a member of this board and I post when I feel strongly about something. I personally don't think there is anything wrong with that. Unless of course I'm not allowed because I don't post a zillion times a day?

I am only disagreeing with Nathan not hurling insults so I really don't see what the issue is.

My apologies for flying off the handle. I guess I should stay away from this thread because you can only listen to the same points so many hundreds of times until you just get sick of it. Your point and the opposing point HAVE been made. So, I did find it a bit insulting for you to come out just to say the same things others have, however you needed to add "You sound selfish" (hello, he admited his anger was purely based on selfishness) and that his anger was 'unfounded'.....I, personally, would not take too well to anyone telling me my anger (or any other emotion) was unfounded. Emotions are just that...emotions. They aren't based on logic.

So, I'm sorry if I was insulting to you. I am human too and the emotion sI felt in reading your post were 'indigant' and 'protective'. Please don't tell me those emotions are unfounded. They were real. Now my emotion is 'slight embarrassement' I was so quick to judge. I hope I don't get blasted for sharing my emotions.

We'll be lucky if they ever do lunch together again, let alone anything else.

IMHO, Robert's statement effectively ends any possibility for a Led Zeppelin reunion.

This may actually help insofar as potential dvd releases which have been considered.

Hope they (Plant and Page) can work things out (whether it's personal or business), regardless of whether they get back together to perform. People with that much history (good and bad) can't end the day on a bad note. It's like a marriage, you can't go to bed angry at each other.

All the best to them,

"Life is about building healthy relationships with each other... why else do you think we are here?" --- reid stevens ©2008 :banana:

R B)

You sound like a really nice person. That's not me being sarcastic. Thanks for being honest. I apologise if I sound like an arrogant ****. I don't mean to. I guess on something like the internet, it's all too easy to fall into the "he's so wrong and I'm so wrong" when so many people voice their opinions every day. You're right, opinions are opinions and I apologise :)

I'd like to point out, if I'm coming across as an arrogant ass to you, Aligula, I fully apologize. I never intended to be that way. My emotions and opinions are strong and I defend them quite heavily. It's just who I am. I hope you don't take it personally.

:)

In response, I use Reggie1971's post:

I seem to recall reading that when Zeppelin was in the studio years ago, John Bonham sent little Jason to sit behind the drums so he could do a soundcheck. John remarked later that it was the first time he had ever seen Led Zeppelin play. If Bonzo considered that lineup to be led Zeppelin, then that is good enough for me.

If it was good enough for Bonzo then, it's good enough for me now.

No problem. :)

I know I'm being selfish. It's not something I would deny.

Nathan has already said he's having a temper tantrum so, we here as friends, are here to support him.

*falls on the floor kicking and screaming*

:P:D;):)

LOL

Yeah, that's a good explanation for it... a temper tantrum. :D

It was Knebworth, in fact. :)

I was responding to Steve's implication of a rift. If I misread or misinterpreted; my apologies.

Let me reword that to say I interpreted Steve's post as an implication of a rift. Not meaning to offend or anything :unsure:

I had another thought on all this as I was driving to work today that I wanted to get out of my system. I remembered how excited I was when Hell Froze Over and the Eagles got back together again, against all thoughts and expectations; and I finally got to see them after being a fan since I was; gosh, about 7. It was really unbelievable :)

I had faith that Zeppelin would get back together too, and it would be waaaay better than the Eagles. :) But it isn't going to happen, and I genuinely wish them all well.

You sound like a really nice person. That's not me being sarcastic. Thanks for being honest. I apologise if I sound like an arrogant ****. I don't mean to. I guess on something like the internet, it's all too easy to fall into the "he's so wrong and I'm so wrong" when so many people voice their opinions every day. You're right, opinions are opinions and I apologise :)

Thanks Aligula, you too :) And again, I do apologize, I realize you were coming into the conversation late and were just stating your thoughts too....

Beer's on me :beer:

Nathan, I'm coming back to this late, so no wonder the discussion has moved on. I see what you mean. By now Aqua has already said most of the things I would have said in response, and there is no need to repeat that. The only thing that makes me wonder whether it's a good idea to post when you know you're going through an excess of feeling is that you're stating things in public. But hey, not a big deal.

:beer:

Archived