Robert Plant - Official Statement

sam_webmaster

Part 2!

Side rant... first it's the 60-second flood-control time. Now it's fucking quote limit? I had to split this post to respond to it the way I wanted because I had too many blocks of quotes in my text?

I'm sorry, but something about this needs to change... it's fucking annoying.

Anyways... back to my response to ledded1 (which should be in the same damn post above)

Try not to take RP's decision too personally is I guess what its about its not aimed at any of us but we feel the disappointment too.

I got over that.

I hope you get to see Jimmy and Jonesy on stage soon.

I hope so, too.

Trust me there is nothing quite like the reaction to Jimmy Page when he appears whether with Zep or not. B)

LOL

And I can't wait to discover it. :)

Emotions still run high here!

I think it's in the best interest of the paying public this "official", "pinned" announcement from Plant. All over the net you find links to where to buy tickets for a Zep tour (even Plant's homepage do they know it?). Have ya heard of the Les Zeppelin tour that took place in the summer? Truth is a lot of unscrupulous factions are trying to capitalize on this Zep mania.

While Robert Plant was not announcing anything and speculations were running rampant, some of you were whining enough already and say something already. Now that he has, how selfish and cunning he is for timing it when his current tour is almost over and not need fans' attention anymore. How selfish that he won't let you get a feel of what seeing a Zep concert is like.

He's not a puppet y'know. He doesn't have to jump up on stage because oldtime fans want to relive Zep's glory days, or young fans who didn't live to see it all neeeeeed to experience it. Some kid in the Hot Pics of Robert thread was always drooling at the pictures of Robert until she (he?) saw Robert's pic as he looks now and was suddenly filled with total sadness. WTF.

Insulting Robert's solo work as not going to be remembered compared to his Zep work is uncalled for. He must have known that already before he made the effort. But he is not a mediocre solo artist either. Just no one can duplicate the monster that he created with your 3J's. Whether he's rakin in royalties from you buying their re-hashed dvd's is not fault of his. I buy them cuz I don't mind making an artist of Robert's (Zep's) caliber richer by $29.99 and tax from me. He may have a fat ego I don't know, good for him if he does. He has something to show for it so what. He's also very charismatic to fans that much I know, even though I've never gone nowhere near 10 feet of him. It's ok that you are frustrated cuz you neeeeeeeeed to feeeeeeeeeeel Zep and you cannnn't. But personal attacks of this man is not fair. He just was being honest with you lest you gullibly buy fake tickets, true to his heart's desire and not make a cartoon of himself so he can make millions from your neeeeeeeeeed to feeeeeel Zep. The very essence of Zeppelin as I know it and I wasnt even hardcore, is not to fake rock music. We don't know what exactly transpired between RP and JP (except those with firsthand buzz), but Robert can't be forced to do it just to please you. Totally understandable your need mania fak they're one of a kind rockband. THE only rock gods I know. But shouldn't put Robert in the guillotine just cuz it can't happen. This man for whom the term FRONTMAN was coined deserves your understanding. Keep on venting that's good for this board but no character assassinations it's cheap.

Thank you.

(responding to this thread's posts haphazardly) This sentence caught my eye and makes me smile at the coincidence of one of last night's Plantations in the Seattle concert. In way of introducing a T Bone solo, Robert said that he and Alison are just puppets......and gesturing towards all the musicians onstage said they are all puppets in fact to the one pulling their strings, T Bone Burnett. B)

Nice post BTW, Robert's Plant.

That they may never break bread again,was this a festering or close to full blown situation pre O2? Or,was the road sort of wide open prior to the O2? Just timeline curious.

This was not the case prior to the 02, otherwise there would not have been an 02.

The possibility of them doing another one-off is now extremely remote, if not nil.

This was not the case prior to the 02, otherwise there would not have been an 02.

The possibility of them doing another one-off is now extremely remote, if not nil.

Okay... what the heck is going on? Is it because of the Sun's report? I don't want details. I just want to know what caused it is all.

Well, they've had plenty of what have been termed "handbags-at-dawn" (:lol: have always loved that phrase) episodes--even one not too long ago (before the O2). But I certainly wouldn't get my hopes up.

And he obviously has no problem revisiting the music, as he remakes the music into horrible Coverversions of themselves for his live shows.

Don't forget that when Page & Plant toured, playing "horrible cover versions" for the very first time, it was a mutual decision between both of them to rework the songs, not just Robert's.

Whether or not you (as in any of us), like those renditions, is irrelevant.

The fact is they own the songs, so they can do with them what they wilt!

So if your going to apportion blame to anyone for remaking "horrible cover versions", you might like to give all the facts by including Jimmy in that somewhat baseless accusation.

When Jimmy played with The Black Crowes they were nowhere near, or similar to Led Zeppelin and I liked that collaboration too.

BTW, I thought the reworkings highlighted the genius of two of the greatest songwriters in modern music.

The fact is that anyone who knows the bands (live) body of work and that is they were very much into improvisation, they hardly ever played songs exactly the same.

To borrow from Forrest Gump, "Zeppelin is as Zeppelin does."

That is what keeps the music fresh.

Robert Plant holding them back?

NO, they are holding themselves back and hopefully for not too much longer.

London 2007 WAS Led Zeppelin and I am a purist.

Well, they've had plenty of what have been termed "handbags-at-dawn"

Meaning

A confrontation which is histrionic but which doesn't involve physical violence. Such confrontations are also called handbag situations.

Origin

This British phrase might sound odd to anyone who is not familiar with the earlier pistols at ten paces, which relates to dueling. That phrase, and its counterpart pistols at dawn, were the stating of the arrangements that preceded duels. Such duels were dangerous and duelists were often killed, although the 'pistols' phrases owe more to Hollywood than historical record.

The handbags at ten paces and handbags at dawn versions began to be used in the 1980s to describe confrontations between players in football matches. Professional footballers know they will be sent off if they hit another player, so emotion has to be expressed via posturing, facial grimacing and verbal abuse. The implication carried by the phrases was that, although a great deal of preamble to violence was shown, the actual confrontations were in the nature of 'I'll scratch you eyes out' cat-fights. These were typified by the many high-profile matches between Manchester United and Arsenal in the years around the turn of the millennium. These matches were usually highly charged as they often had a decisive effect on the outcome of the Premiership championship. This, coupled with the fact that many of the players had reputations for violent play but didn't want to risk getting sent off, lead to several handbags at ten paces incidents.

The football manager and later commentator, Ron Atkinson, was fond of using this phrase, often shortened just to handbags. He invented several somewhat surreal footballing terms, so he may well have coined this too, although I can't find any record confirming that.

The earliest record I can find of the term in print is from a piece headed Who said what in the world of sport in 1986, in The Times 1 January 1987:

"It was a case of handbags at three paces."

Clearly, the precise number of paces isn't significant but, for the tidy minded, the first record I can find of the ten paces variant is from a report of a football game in The Sunday Times, September 1993, headed Leeds win out in battle of the brawlers:

"Kamara was booked for arguing before the referee took four names in as many minutes: Ward and Wallace for handbags at 10 paces, Deane for a hideous foul on Cowan..."

Why handbags? Well, as well as the obvious effeminate imagery, the phrase was coined when Margaret Thatcher was Prime Minister. She was said to give ministers who she saw as slackers a 'good handbagging', i.e. a verbal dressing down.

It may also have been influenced by the Monty Python sketch - The Batley Townswomens' Guild presents the Battle of Pearl Harbor, in which the Python team, dressed as women, recreate the battle by flailing at each other with handbags.

The more recent (mid-1990s) term handbag house also calls on handbag imagery. House is a form of electronic dance music that is often relentless and uncompromising. Handbag house is a variant that has catchy tunes and wider popular appeal and as such is derided by clubbing aficionados. The allusion is to women dancing in groups around their handbags.

(Courtesy of Wikipedia)

Well, i have been lurking here and reading all of the posts for some time now. Finally registered so I can post. I never got to see LZ live, but have been listening to their music since I was 15 or 16, I'm 44 now. My sons, 15 and 25 years old, also listen to them, and would love to see them live, as would I.

I did have the good fortune to see Robert in 1988 or 89, when he was touring on the Now and Zen tour, it was great, played a lot of the LZ songs, and several of his solo songs. I thought at the time that this is as close as I'll ever get to seeing LZ. Missed out on Page and Plant. Then came the O2 show.....nope, didn't get to go, but I did get my hopes up for a reunion tour. Looks like that won't happen.....but I still hope it does some day.

The guys are getting older, I would hope that they could put on some type of farewell tour before their health gets too bad for the rigors of touring. I don't necessarily think they "owe" us a tour, but i would probably pay any price for a ticket, or even sell my wife into slavery. There, that's my humble, unsolicited opinion.

Nathan,

I like your style. I would say that your feelings and comments here are probably the same as 99% of the music world.

It is too bad that Robert Plant has decided not to re-join the other three members of the band that played last December (worded to avoid the 1980 issue). The past year we, as fans, have had quite a ride. I felt that things would work out AFTER the Raising Sand tour was over. Ambiguous statements by Robert (like the MSG clip) led many to believe something was in the works. Jason's leaving Foreigner, Jimmy's re-appearance in public (Foo's, Olympics, ....) as well as John Paul Jones' public appearances gave hope to those "outside looking in" that the Zeppelin machine was gearing up for “SOMETHING SPECIAL".

Robert had made statements saying he was not interested in doing an "OLDIES TOUR". The past few months the other members have been "doing something". I took that to mean that Jimmy and Co. were working on "NEW STUFF". I do not have a clue if anything came from those sessions; maybe some of the "enlightened few" here could shed some light on that please.

Every day I hear more and more Led Zeppelin. On the radio, on TV and in print everyone here had to admit that this band has seen more exposure THIS year than in years past. Robert had many opportunities to KILL this many times but always left the door open. I feel it was in his best interest not to say NO while raising sand was on tour.

Five days before the tour ends we got the "STATEMENT". I see the timing of this suspicious and spiteful. Well spiteful might be harsh but I feel that if Robert did not want to tour he should have said so MONTHS AGO. If not, then I think THE BAND should have released a statement TOGETHER stating the current situation.

I hope the remaining three find a great singer and kick our ass. I will do my best to go to as many shows as I can.

NO MATTER WHAT THEY CALL THEMSELVES EVERYONE HERE KNOWS THE MEDIA WILL CALL THEM LED ZEPPELIN. 99 % OF THE WORLD WILL CALL THEM LED ZEPPELIN.

I will close my eyes and call them LED ZEPPELIN.

To quote Field of Dreams, “if you build it they will come”, LED ZEPPELIN has built this website and we are here. Now let’s see some positive news, tour dates, and hear and see some new clips.

After reading Plant's media statement again, I think it is just a smoke screen. Afterall, what is he going to say while touring with someone else, "Yeah the Zep tour starts in New York and ends in LA,",....no, he is more professional than that.

But if he doesn't come back,....then forsure he is banging the fiddle player with a voice of an angel.

The fiddle player is not the one holding him back from reuniting with Zeppelin. :huh:

Five days before the tour ends we got the "STATEMENT". I see the timing of this suspicious and spiteful. Well spiteful might be harsh

Yes, it is harsh.

He wasn't the one who published that bogus story in the Sun that ballooned to such proportions that he felt the need to make a statement (which he needn't have done).

Yes, it is harsh.

He wasn't the one who published that bogus story in the Sun that ballooned to such proportions that he felt the need to make a statement (which he needn't have done).

But the rest of my thought was....

Five days before the tour ends we got the "STATEMENT". I see the timing of this suspicious and spiteful. Well spiteful might be harsh but I feel that if Robert did not want to tour he should have said so MONTHS AGO. If not, then I think THE BAND should have released a statement TOGETHER stating the current situation.

But the rest of my thought was....

No tour had ever been announced or discussed. So why would he need to make an announcement that he wasn't doing it?

No tour had ever been announced or discussed. So why would he need to make an announcement that he wasn't doing it?

You never know what is around the corner (MSG)..... wont make a commitment untill after this tour is done. Would only be interested in recording NEW material..... Not interested in Oldies tour

and other comments that infered something would be relased at a later date BUT he didn't want to take away from the Raising Sand tour.

ALL POSITIVE STATEMENTS..... Vague but positive and not THIS

“It‘s both frustrating and ridiculous for this story to continue to

rear its head when all the musicians that surround the story are keen to get on with their individual projects and move forward,” Robert Plant said.

TOTAL 180 from after the O2 this spring /summer

He's an artist. He makes spontaneous, subjective statements. He's been that way ever since I can recall. He's certainly known for his Plantations.

And what does that have to do with THE STATEMENT and the fact that he seems to have thrown JIMMY PAGE, JOHN PAUL JONES and JASON BONHAM under the bus.......

As I said, if this was SUCH a problem for EVERYONE wouldn't you think the BAND would have made this STATEMENT??????

And what does that have to do with THE STATEMENT and the fact that he seems to have thrown JIMMY PAGE, JOHN PAUL JONES and JASON BONHAM under the bus.......

As I said, if this was SUCH a problem for EVERYONE wouldn't you think the BAND would have made this STATEMENT??????

Robert Plant has always been Robert Plant. Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones have known him for a long time, and they have learned to take him in stride over the years. Despite the awkward moments, they share a lot of memories in common, and they have a strong bond. Robert Plant has a very strong personality and they know it. They all love each other though. They've been through a lot together.

If they wish to comment on his statement, then they will, but so far they have left it to him.

After reading Plant's media statement again, I think it is just a smoke screen. Afterall, what is he going to say while touring with someone else, "Yeah the Zep tour starts in New York and ends in LA,",....no, he is more professional than that.

But if he doesn't come back,....then forsure he is banging the fiddle player with a voice of an angel.

I think her boyfriend would be a bit of a baby about that. B)

SO....the band have been releasing snippets to the press to try and force his hand, he's got (rightly) pissed off with it and told 'em to f off?

NO MATTER WHAT THEY CALL THEMSELVES EVERYONE HERE KNOWS THE MEDIA WILL CALL THEM LED ZEPPELIN. 99 % OF THE WORLD WILL CALL THEM LED ZEPPELIN.

I will close my eyes and call them LED ZEPPELIN.

You can call them whatever you want, it won't be Led Zeppelin though.

When Jimmy & Robert toured in the 90's the world didn't call them Led Zeppelin, because that's what it wasn't.

I doubt if Robert will stay away for two years!....My personal opinion. He's 60 this year. He'll be 62. I dread the day he comes up with an album like Paul Anka or Pat Boone. Stranger things have happened...

Archived