Robert Plant - Official Statement

sam_webmaster

I'm not going to quote Zepp-4-Life's post yet again, but most of it strikes me as sheer fantasy, sorry. Amazing that you know Plant's every thought, though!

Oh, and those 80s interviews? We've all seen them too! ;)

Hey Aqua , I would expect nothing less from you .

I read your posts and know that you are super pro Plant .

As we all are .

Those " tapes " , I wonder if you have the 20 hours of interviews that I was forced to collect from those times.

And as ever hopeful fans , with each and every one hoped that Rob would say something about future plans with JP.

But no , it never was , and Rob was quite cocky back in those times , and I believe still a partying guy too , so the ego and solo career he had seemed like it was really good on him.

For me it was like " wtf, your great and the voice is still great , but , the songs you're playing are written by Mr. J P Page , and these clowns you have trying to play em are hurtin dude".

In the end, it's all about now and what is , but some of us never forget the past .

And now , JP is better then ever -------- waiting .

Hey Aqua , I would expect nothig less from you .

As we all are .

Those " tapes " , I wonder if you have the 20 hours of interviews that I was forced to collect from those times.

And as ever hopeful fans , with each and every one hoped that Rob would say something about future plans with JP.

But no , it never was , and Rob was quite cocky back in those times , and I believe still a partying guy too , so the ego and solo career he had seemed like it was really good on him.

For me it was like " wtf, your great and the voice is still great , but , the songs you're playing are written by Mr. J P Page , and these clowns you have trying to play em are hurtin dude".

In the end, it's all about now and what is , but some of us never forget the past .

Are you expecting Robert to just write Zep circa 1980-1990-2000 etc.? Maybe that's the thing - he made a conscious decision not to try to recreate something so special and he knew he couldn't without the other three and are you listening to it hating it because it's not rather than judging it on its own merits?

I've got nearly all the tv interviews he's done as well and I still have to challenge this constant slagging of Jimmy and again, I have yet to see where Jimmy had kind things to say about Robert.

And for the record, I love Jimmy too and can't wait to see what he's working on. Thrilled he's ready to take the world on again :D

I think you're more or less dissapointed by Robert not doing what you want and predetermined to get the feeling that he was "looking down" on the others.

And you read way too hard into those "20 hours of interviews" to support your feeling.

Sorry if it was not like this, just my thoughts.

I've got nearly all the tv interviews he's done as well and I still have to challenge this constant slagging of Jimmy and again, I have yet to see where Jimmy had kind things to say about Robert.

yes he had.

"What can I say about Robert? He's brilliant!"

- Jimmy Page on Robert Plant, "Outrider" Geffen ecords Press Kit interview, 1988

I believe they love each-other and always will - but even marriages have rocky patches.

And like I said at the time - the body language at the GQ awards SCREAMED "no imminent chance of a reunion!"

Yeah, I clearly remember the discussion on that topic B)

If I remember correctly, Page was at Plant to do something and Plant was waxing and waning. Jimmy said screw this, if I can't have Plant, I will have the next best thing.

Actually, Robert agreed to a Led Zeppelin reunion during a band meeting in Jan 1991, but recanted that same evening. Just three months later, Jimmy and David had their

meeting in Manhattan which culminated with an album and tour in 1993.

Zepp-4-Life: I enjoy your posts but your analysis of their relationship in the '80s is off.

It was for Jimmy whom Robert privately played an advance pressing of his first solo

album, his hand placed pensively on Jimmy's knee. It was Robert whom wept openly

whilst watching Jimmy perform with The Firm at Wembley in May '85. It was Robert

whom was joined on tour by Jimmy numerous times to jam.

Robert's incorporation of Led Zeppelin music into his performances was originally a recommendation put forth by new management in late 1986. It was necessitated

by the realities of the music industry at the time, particularly for a solo artist whom

had seen his most recent full-length album (Shaken n' Stirred) and tour fail to attain

critical acclaim or commercial success.

It was Robert whom wept openly whilst watching Jimmy perform with The Firm at Wembley in May '85. It was Robert

Thanks Steve for mentioning this.

And I've got this here.

"A friend of mine who played guitar in my previous group used to call (the wailing) the 'primal scream'. He gave this to me the other day (a Jimmy Page t-shirt); he's trying to get me back in that other band. He won't be with me now, but I do - I went to see him very recently, and I thought he was spectacular. I was so proud of him. With an emphasis on the 'him', he was - in all the years I was in that other band, you know, I was never able to actually stand and watch him, or actually concentrate on what he was doing. There were times when he wasn't very good, and there were times when I wasn't very good, and we got by. But he knew I was there last Saturday night <smile>, and he really let me know exactly what he does and he did it with such style, it was great. <faraway look in eyes> I mean, if ever there was a modern-day Wagner who could play the guitar, the master of mood. <'Big Log' begins playing in the background - "should I rest for a while at th side'> And the master of charade as well, you know, I mean ...<wipes away tear> I mean, he's an old tease, but he's great."

Robert Plant in a television interview, describing seeing Jimmy Page

with The Firm in Birmingham, England on 18 May 1985.

Actually, Robert agreed to a Led Zeppelin reunion during a band meeting in Jan 1991, but recanted that same evening. Just three months later, Jimmy and David had their

meeting in Manhattan which culminated with an album and tour in 1993.

Zepp-4-Life: I enjoy your posts but your analysis of their relationship in the '80s is off.

It was for Jimmy whom Robert privately played an advance pressing of his first solo

album, his hand placed pensively on Jimmy's knee. It was Robert whom wept openly

whilst watching Jimmy perform with The Firm at Wembley in May '85. It was Robert

Robert's incorporation of Led Zeppelin music into his performances was originally a recommendation put forth by new management in late 1986. It was necessitated

by the realities of the music industry at the time, particularly for a solo artist whom

had seen his most recent full-length album (Shaken n' Stirred) and tour fail to attain

critical acclaim or commercial success.

Recanting on a reunion on the same evening ?? Now that is worthy of a thread.

Allright then Steve , and I mean that sincerely . Of the many , you are above and beyond the people I would trust when in a moment of uncertainty.

However, and yes there is always a however , ironic or comical , I still beg to differ about the sentiment in some of the interviews during that period . Maybe it is just me , and from the excellent information you supply I suppose there is more , much more to the scene.

But I did provide a disclaimer in my opinion , saying that we all have one .

Your facts about the pending 88 plan and previous tour failure make perfect sense to me.

Thanks for the insight , and as usual solid information .

In kind of goes in line with that time - line and Robert's appearance in a Coca-Cola ad.

Lighten up baby -- I'm in love with you !!! -- lol

Many then thought it was beyond cheez , as JP moved forward with the release of Outrider and it's subsequent tour.

I suppose I am just reliving those days , and perhpas it feels good just to feel it again and be alive.

The mid-80's ---- after Zepp post years .

Amazing how 20 plus years later we're still hear and listening.

Rock n Roll

And I've got this here.

He actually wept during the concert as well. His daughter Carmen was with him and asked why. He proceeded to explain how moving it was to see Jimmy perform, and if I recall correctly it was the first time he'd seen him perform post-Zeppelin, aside from

one brief jam they did while Robert was touring and two while on holiday.

Hadn't seen that comment - thanks for pointing it out. I'd be curious if there were others as I said earlier, I've not seen any.

How about this one? :D

"I like blonds, you know."

-Jimmy Page, JJJ Australian Radio, 17 November 1994

I still beg to differ about the sentiment in some of the interviews during that period.

Actually, we don't necessarily have a difference of opinion concerning those interviews.

But they are what they are - quaint, prearranged, often contrived snapshots of what was said in the moment. I've often considered compiling all of Robert's post-Zep quotes

which contradict themselves. They would fill a book for a sure. Nowadays he readily

admits "there are many Robert Plants". I wouldn't say he has multiple-personalities,

rather his viewpoints can be multi-dimensional and he is able to maintain them even when said dimensions happen to reveal diametrically opposing positions. Working title

for the album 'Mighty Rearranger' was 'Head First'. ;)

And I've got this here.

Now that was a good dig .

With one trait of thought and a few good men , we get some new insight into moments .

Tou-Chey !!! And thanks for the work.

It was touching to hear that , and it really did make me feel better about some of the mystery we had during those times. An excellent quote.

I have to go and think now.

Actually, we don't necessarily have a difference of opinion concerning those interviews.

But they are what they are - quaint, prearranged, often contrived snapshots of what was said in the moment. I've often considered compiling all of Robert's post-Zep quotes

which contradict themselves. They would fill a book for a sure. Nowadays he readily

admits "there are many Robert Plants". I wouldn't say he has multiple-personalities,

rather his viewpoints can be multi-dimensional and he is able to maintain them even when said dimensions happen to reveal diametrically opposing positions. Working title

for the album 'Mighty Rearranger' was 'Head First'. ;)

Another fine thought .

Like us all , we can explore many sides of ourselves .

I might just mightily rearrange some of my things now --- lol.

Let me think .

Peace

With one trait of thought and a few good men , we get some new insight into moments .

It was touching to hear that , and it really did make me feel better about some of the mystery we had during those times. An excellent quote.

Glad that you feel better.

I'd say, don't put too much into the interviews. Words are just words, they can be interpreted in this way or in that way, all depend on what YOU are feeling at that point.

And thanks Steve for the information, I don't know Carmen was there with him. It must have been a mixed feeling, but I do believe he was sincere when he said he was so proud of Jimmy.

My gut feeling is that whatever has happened between Robert and Jimmy runs a lot deeper than JP working with Coverdale and Robert working with Alison. I don't think jealousy or competition between each other is a driving force for their creative decisions.

It's called substance dependence or abuse if you like.

Hopefully those days are gone, if not well I hate to think about it.

As we all are .

You are wrong about Jimmy writing all the songs, look at the credits.

Why waste your life poring over "20 hours of interviews", what is that going to achieve?

Maybe he is playing better because he is not partying.

Jimmy's waiting for what?

As we all are .

Hey, guess what--I'm super pro Page, too. Always have been. And Jones, and Bonham, Sr and Jr. I'm a Zeppelin fan. There's no competition here. But I STILL think your take on what happened in those years is mostly fantasy, and that has nothing to do with Plant being better than Page or vice versa. It's just offbase regarding the dynamics of what was going on.

And yes, again, I've seen all those 80s interviews. And yes, I can almost guarantee I was into Zeppelin before you. ;)

Btw, most of that, except the interview extract Glicine posted, which was new to me (thanks!), was in HOTG.

Hey, guess what--I'm super pro Page, too. Always have been. And Jones, and Bonham, Sr and Jr. I'm a Zeppelin fan. There's no competition here. And I STILL think your take on what happened in those years is mostly fantasy, and that has nothing to do with Plant being better than Page or vice versa (a ludicrous comparison, anyway). It's just offbase regarding the dynamics of what was going on.

And yes, I've seen all those 80s interviews. And yes, I can almost guarantee I was into Zeppelin before you. ;)

:D

Here's a topic above that is being explored .

The forever wonderings of JP @ RP.

Here's my nutshell synopsis.

Back in the early 80's Rob was adamant about no Zepp anything.

JP had the Firm on the go and all was cool.

Then in the later 80's , particularily 85 - 88 , Rob does interviews, lots of them , and publically decries that anything Zepp is super not happening .

In reality , and watch the interview backstage at Live Aid for a perfect example , what RP was saying in all those interviews was that Jim was washed up , and therefore , so was the Zepp mystique.

It was painfully obvious in his words that he really thought JP was finished as a great player.

And then , he goes on tour in 88 , with his new side-kick -- Doug " Wham - Bar " Boyle and does what??

He does watered down bogus versions of Zeppelin songs. Despite his rants about not ever wanting to do it, or that it mattered to him. He drained it .

Then JP goes on tour that same year , 1988 Outrider , and proceeds to blow the doors off of any concerns about his playing ability.

Then they did the Atlantic reunion and we all know it was bad . Some great moments , but nothing like a great performance , comparable to the 02 show or past Zepp years.

I think he took a chance then , and realized that JP can be sketchy at times as a live performer. We all know this.

Although that 88 tour was brilliant for Jim , the Atlantic 40th was not impressive.

So then Rob thought , no way , I won't do this again.

Fast forward to C/P. JP is ripping it up onstage and Rob knows.

Those Japan shows are awesome guitar playing , and it's clear that JP is back in form .

Coverdale is singing Rob's songs .

At that point Rob has been on tour a few times more and is now including a 70% Zepp content with young band members trying to emulate Jimmy Page.

I was there , it was lame . Great vocals yes, but the bands ??? Please.

So they make a deal. And we get the 95 and 98 tours. Both incredible for any Zepp enthusiast.

But JP was still partying and there were moments , that are debateable .

It's no secret that in 98 the tension between the two was there.

Rob was Mr. Clean and Sobre, and JP was still dabbling in pre-concert fluids.

In the end, I think that left a very bad taste in Rob's mouth.

The bond was broken and the trust was gone.

10 years later the 02 show comes along .

Rob does it because of many reasons .

The final result is overwhelmingly received .

It rocked , and the band as a whole sounded really good.

Jimmy proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he still has it .

Which left Rob with thoughts .

How good was I ??

How good was the show ??

How good will JP be with more work ??

Can I live up to this legacy ??

With drop down tunings and the rigours of a full on Zepp expectation I believe that he makes the wise choice and says no , I can't.

The funny part is, as time goes on , it's his voice that remains questionable , and I believe JP's playing only gets better .

So the tables have turned , in the mid-80's Rob was too good for Jimmy , and now 20 years later it's JP that has the controls.

Don't take this the wrong way , it's just that I never will forget that sour-puss mug on Rob belittling Zep and Jimmy back in those 80's interviews.

You had to be there , and see them to know what I'm talking about.

I won't for a minute try and say this is the story , but it's mine as a viewer.

Who knows the real intracacy's. People's relationships are complicated.

What I do know is Rob is missing out on something huge , and as a life long Zepp fan, it hurts to know that so much could be .

How about this Rob -------- have a good day . Good luck with your two years off.

I wish you well , and hope your health stays.

God Bless ya , and thanks for everything.

JP and Bonham made up 80% of what Zepp meant to legions of fans.

As time goes on, I find myself more interested in the live combination of JP, JB and JPJ anyway.

It's the music that grabbed our souls. I won't type here and say that I didn't sing every note of Plant's magical voice as a young listener , but really, over time , I spend more listening looking for musical shine.

We can find new singers . It's not that hard.

As a true JP listener , I don't need vocals , whatever the 3 J's do , I'm all for it .

Can't wait to hear it , see it , and live it .

Peace

I agree with a lot of the things you state. I watched as many of those interviews that I could get my eyes on and came to the same conclusion. However, I did see Robert in concert at the Tower theater in Philadelphia on his Fate of Nations tour. I thought it was a great concert and Robert only did one Zeppelin # as I recall: Ramble On.

On another note, you don't have to look very far to see the kind of music Robert wants to make and play these days. I am certainly not into it and nor were many of the Zep fans standing around me last weekend at the Austin City Limits show. In fact, the overwhelming majority of people there were watching Beck! Beck's stage and performance started just a little after AK/RP over on the next stage, you could also overhear his ovations drowning out AK/RP. It was almost laughable. I had listened to the Raising Sand cd so I knew what to expect. BTW-I would not have paid money to see this show, the ticket was given to me and I had the opportunity to see some great performances earlier in the day. John Fogerty was on stage prior to AK/RP and he tore the place apart!!! Back to AK/RP ...people around me were not sure how to react to the songs. They clapped after the songs but only out of respect to Robert from what I observed. It was kind of sad really, a bunch of my friends around me know the Zep fan that I am and kept asking me WTF? This is wierd! Which I have to admit it was kind of strange. The set was 1hr 15minutes and Robert was only on "the stage for about 50 to 55 minutes" which kind of surprised me. The Zep numbers were by far the best songs performed which kept me asking, WTF don't you play with the boys who know how to perform these songs?

I would also love to know the percentage of influence that Robert had on the music of Led Zeppelin compared to what happened on the Walking into Clarksdale cd. The Coverdale/Page cd blows away Clarksdale. I can't even listen to that thing other than 2 songs. I have a hard time believing Pagey did that. Which leads me to where I am going. Pagey was out numbered on that deal and if he was partying then he easily gave in to Robert's wishes. Robert had his whole god damn band in there. I have a hard time believing that was the direction Page wanted to go in. But I wasn't there so I'll never know.

I also recall an interview in 94/95 with Plant/Page that they argued like school children all the time, they would resolve it and move on. No doubt in my mind what those arguments were about, the music and how much Pagey was going to be rocking. Even in Unledded it seems as if Page is toning it down a bit or two. Page wasn't toning it down a bit with Coverdale!

Fast forward to 2007/2008. Who is out numbered? Ain't no way the Pagey, Jones, and Jason are going to make a Walking Into Clarksdale II.

I really don't think Robert has anymore rock n roll left in the tank! I love the guy but even a Zep fan like myself has to face the truth at some point.

If the three J's put something out, it will be much better than if they get Roberts influence on it. Just an opinion, but looking at what Robert has put out since Clarksdale, the proof is in the pudding.

Pagey doesn't need anyone holding him back at this point. He needs to just let it fucking rip!

If you knew me you'd know I hate this mentality and find it extremely false. That band at the O2 was Led Zeppelin, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. It would not have been Led Zeppelin had anyone else been on the drums. But Jason Bonham was on the drums and only Jason is worthy enough to play drums for Led Zeppelin, and he proved that on December 10, 2007.

Because of that, it is NOT John Bonham's death, but Robert Plant's "no" that keeps me from seeing Led Zeppelin live.

John Bonham is dead. One of the most tragic deaths in music history, to be sure. But Jason Bonham is alive, he's there, and he's quite capable. The FACT is that on December 10, 2007, Led Zeppelin reunited at the O2 arena. It was not a fake version, it was not a cover band, and it was not a tribute band.

It was Led Zeppelin.

Oh I'm grateful for their music, too. My life wouldn't be the same without it. I wouldn't be in love with the guitar if it weren't for Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page.

Right and wrong.

Right that every member was equally important.

Wrong that because one of those members is dead, the band is no more.

I'm NOT diminishing John Bonham's role in Led Zeppelin. I'm simply saying that Jason Bonham is the one able to fill it perfectly.

If you've read any of my posts, you'll see that I'm fully aware of this and that I don't care.

I know Robert experienced tragedy with Led Zeppelin. No need to shove the fact down my throat. And I'm sympathetic to that. But the music and the private life are two very different things. And he obviously has no problem revisiting the music, as he remakes the music into horrible Coverversions of themselves for his live shows.

:thanku: Finally someone has put the record straight .Thank you... what you have said is the most accurate statement that I've read here for a-long---long time. Those songs that he performs which were Led zeppelin songs should be now a thing of the past, as he's made it quite clear the led zeppelin days are behind him .from now on if he puts on a gig; it should stand on his own material.All the best Robert with your next new project and thanks for moving on from the past. :thumbsup:

I agree with a lot of the things you state. I watched as many of those interviews that I could get my eyes on and came to the same conclusion. However, I did see Robert in concert at the Tower theater in Philadelphia on his Fate of Nations tour. I thought it was a great concert and Robert only did one Zeppelin # as I recall: Ramble On.

On another note, you don't have to look very far to see the kind of music Robert wants to make and play these days. I am certainly not into it and nor were many of the Zep fans standing around me last weekend at the Austin City Limits show. In fact, the overwhelming majority of people there were watching Beck! Beck's stage and performance started just a little after AK/RP over on the next stage, you could also overhear his ovations drowning out AK/RP. It was almost laughable. I had listened to the Raising Sand cd so I knew what to expect. BTW-I would not have paid money to see this show, the ticket was given to me and I had the opportunity to see some great performances earlier in the day. John Fogerty was on stage prior to AK/RP and he tore the place apart!!! Back to AK/RP ...people around me were not sure how to react to the songs. They clapped after the songs but only out of respect to Robert from what I observed. It was kind of sad really, a bunch of my friends around me know the Zep fan that I am and kept asking me WTF? This is wierd! Which I have to admit it was kind of strange. The set was 1hr 15minutes and Robert was only on "the stage for about 50 to 55 minutes" which kind of surprised me. The Zep numbers were by far the best songs performed which kept me asking, WTF don't you play with the boys who know how to perform these songs?

I would also love to know the percentage of influence that Robert had on the music of Led Zeppelin compared to what happened on the Walking into Clarksdale cd. The Coverdale/Page cd blows away Clarksdale. I can't even listen to that thing other than 2 songs. I have a hard time believing Pagey did that. Which leads me to where I am going. Pagey was out numbered on that deal and if he was partying then he easily gave in to Robert's wishes. Robert had his whole god damn band in there. I have a hard time believing that was the direction Page wanted to go in. But I wasn't there so I'll never know.

I also recall an interview in 94/95 with Plant/Page that they argued like school children all the time, they would resolve it and move on. No doubt in my mind what those arguments were about, the music and how much Pagey was going to be rocking. Even in Unledded it seems as if Page is toning it down a bit or two. Page wasn't toning it down a bit with Coverdale!

Fast forward to 2007/2008. Who is out numbered? Ain't no way the Pagey, Jones, and Jason are going to make a Walking Into Clarksdale II.

I really don't think Robert has anymore rock n roll left in the tank! I love the guy but even a Zep fan like myself has to face the truth at some point.

If the three J's put something out, it will be much better than if they get Roberts influence on it. Just an opinion, but looking at what Robert has put out since Clarksdale, the proof is in the pudding.

Pagey doesn't need anyone holding him back at this point. He needs to just let it fucking rip!

:thanku: yep; that's another great post.cheers. :beer:

He has more rock n roll in his little finger than most of all the recent bands could ever hope to have, even that Loser bloke Beck.

I get a kick out of all the musings of these 5 minute Zeppelin afficionados and their ramblings, especially all those would be musicians whose only audience are those watching Youtube.

Unlike the one dimensional play it safe mentality of many, it's refreshing to see someone taking risks.

Jimmy thought he had something going for it because he played on quite a few tracks.

As for a Walking Into Clarksdale II, how the fuck does anyone know what they may or may not do, or have you already mapped it out for them?

What a crock of shit that comment about Robert's influence is.

In spite of all of your thoughts and opinions, JP and JPJ know and appreciate his valued influence and input of the past and would have him on board in a heartbeat regardless of what key the songs are played in.

Someone made another comment about playing Zep songs, does that apply to JPJ too or only Robert, after all he played some on the Zooma tour.

The only person holding Jimmy back is Jimmy and he has his reasons.

I really get headache now for hearing this "holding back" so many times.

Robert WISHED them nothing but SUCCESS, how is that a holding back?

Jimmy, JPJ and Jason are all grown up men and long enough in the music scene, they know what they're doing and THEY are responsible for it.

Yes, now it's time, come on!

Archived