Robert Plant - Official Statement

sam_webmaster

Robert has been rearranging led zeppelin songs with the last 3or 4 bands he;s played with .Robert has constantly said no to led zeppelin reunions /gigs etc (except for the 02) He constantly claims to be moving in new musical direction;if that be the case for Christ sake move on; why play songs from a time when days of old and years of old and magic filled the air.

Using that logic, Jimmy, JPJ & Jason should be banned from playing Led Zeppelin songs in the future too...

It's simply a matter of staying in the here and now.

I agree but that statement leaves many things open to debate. Given that the surviving members are still alive and in the here and now, that would only fuel one's argument that they could get something going while they're still here. One could also argue that when Robert goes or has went out on tour he plays the here and now of whatever his latest project is at the time and he also harkens back to the Zep stuff. So one could argue that the surviving members could write new stuff for the here and now and play the old stuff along with the new stuff on tour.

I certainly understand what you're saying but it does leave a door open in that context. Who knows? I think the subject is getting pretty old because people are quite passionate about whatever opinion they seem to have and it becomes a matter of people agreeing to disagree and the point begins to get a bit lost.

I agree but that statement leaves many things open to debate. Given that the surviving members are still alive and in the here and now, that would only fuel one's argument that they could get something going while they're still here. One could also argue that when Robert goes or has went out on tour he plays the here and now of whatever his latest project is at the time and he also harkens back to the Zep stuff. So one could argue that the surviving members could write new stuff for the here and now and play the old stuff along with the new stuff on tour.

But he doesnt want to! And he's under no obligation to do so!

But he doesnt want to! And he's under no obligation to do so!

And nowhere in my post did I say he should or shouldn't. Was saying that if that was his reasoning it would still not stop people from having a valid argument as to why he should. Read it again. Apology accepted.

Using that logic, Jimmy, JPJ & Jason should be banned from playing Led Zeppelin songs in the future too...

No...because none of them ever boy banded Zeppelin or tried to distance themselves from ever being part of that legend.

On the other hand Plant..... since solo day one, and only brought the LZ back into his fold was when his sales & touring billfold needed it. Don't even think of denying it or apologizing in Plant's name.

Empty concert halls ? Not yet, but perhaps you've all put a mental block on him playing to half full small auditoriums at ppoints of the RPAK tour...people writing in their reviews they had no qualms of walking out early...

Was in Orlando recently...very nice weather this time of year.

So, don't even try to put that logic towards JP, JPJ or Jason... and on top of that, I can at least find any and every version of theirs of any Zep tune listenable. Imagine that.

So if Robert has chosen to not hoe corn no moe, I'm fine with it , save money on my Nexium perscrip.

And Steve...don't despair.

No...because none of them ever boy banded Zeppelin or tried to distance themselves from ever being part of that legend.

On the other hand Plant..... since solo day one, and only brought the LZ back into his fold was when his sales & touring billfold needed it. Don't even think of denying it or apologizing in Plant's name.

Empty concert halls ? Not yet, but perhaps you've all put a mental block on him playing to half full small auditoriums at ppoints of the RPAK tour...people writing in their reviews they had no qualms of walking out early...

Was in Orlando recently...very nice weather this time of year.

So, don't even try to put that logic towards JP, JPJ or Jason... and on top of that, I can at least find any and every version of theirs of any Zep tune listenable. Imagine that.

So if Robert has chosen to not hoe corn no moe, I'm fine with it , save money on my Nexium perscrip.

And Steve...don't despair.

Please stop digging up that old line of Robert's about Zeppelin being a boy band, by which he meant that it represented his younger days. You misunderstood it, OK? We all knew that years ago.

I have every intention of denying he started playing Zeppelin again for the money. He still plays a few Zeppelin songs, and Lord knows he doesn't need the money, in fact he gets hassled for playing them. He's proud of his Zeppelin heritage but it's not the ONLY heritage he has. You can call me an apologist, I don't care--the word has nothing to do with apologizing for somebody, look it up. I don't understand why people who think Jimmy Page can do no wrong aren't called Page apologists.

And the Raising Sand tour is not playing to half-full venues, and the only person who said she walked out before the end is someone who as an axe to grind against Plant (and what she was doing there in the first place I can't imagine).

Whatever applies to Plant regarding Zeppelin songs applies to the other three as well--there, I applied that logic toward them. (Any more orders, sir? :rolleyes: ) And I find their versions of Zep songs, as few as there have been apart from the Black Crowes, listenable also, though Plant's are often more interesting.

I was just looking over some footage of Queen from Live Aid this morning, remembering how phenomenal Freddie was, and what a terrible loss was experienced. :(

I can still understand Robert's decision, but boy, seeing that footage again today made me sad for what *could* be, but won't; whereas with Freddie it *can't* be :( That combination of presence and power and magical connection with an audience is so rare, there have been precious few moments like that since (actually I can't think of any, but I'll assume there have been a couple).

Please stop digging up that old line of Robert's about Zeppelin being a boy band, by which he meant that it represented his younger days. You misunderstood it, OK? We all knew that years ago.

I have every intention of denying he started playing Zeppelin again for the money. He still plays a few Zeppelin songs, and Lord knows he doesn't need the money, in fact he gets hassled for playing them. He's proud of his Zeppelin heritage but it's not the ONLY heritage he has. You can call me an apologist, I don't care--the word has nothing to do with apologizing for somebody, look it up. I don't understand why people who think Jimmy Page can do no wrong aren't called Page apologists.

And the Raising Sand tour is not playing to half-full venues, and the only person who said she walked out before the end is someone who as an axe to grind against Plant (and what she was doing there in the first place I can't imagine).

Whatever applies to Plant regarding Zeppelin songs applies to the other three as well--there, I applied that logic toward them. (Any more orders, sir? :rolleyes: ) And I find their versions of Zep songs, as few as there have been apart from the Black Crowes, listenable also, though Plant's are often more interesting.

Beautifuly said Aqua. Well done, and a million :beer: 's.

Personally I was thrilled.

I was just looking over some footage of Queen from Live Aid this morning, remembering how phenomenal Freddie was, and what a terrible loss was experienced. :(

I can still understand Robert's decision, but boy, seeing that footage again today made me sad for what *could* be, but won't; whereas with Freddie it *can't* be :( That combination of presence and power and magical connection with an audience is so rare, there have been precious few moments like that since (actually I can't think of any, but I'll assume there have been a couple).

I can't think of many. Seeing the O2 got me excited about music again... (it gave me hope there was a possible future there. Now, will settle for what's available (JPJ, JP, Jason and whoever) & RP solo/SS/w/ AK...

The past number of years, there's been no real spark in music.. Same old stuff, done the same way, for years and years...

Whatever applies to Plant regarding Zeppelin songs applies to the other three as well--there, I applied that logic toward them.

I think therein lies the problem that people are arguing. Plant has repeatedly stated he is over Zep, has moved on, has no interest in rehashing the same songs, has moved in other musical directions, wants to experience other forms of music etc etc etc,...yet continues to play Zep tunes with who ever he is playing with.

The only time I recall Jimmy Page saying he wasn't willing to do anything regarding Zep was when he was involved in his own projects, (solo, The Fim etc) and only in response to a reunion, not the playing of Zep songs.

I know Plant has said he doesn't want to reincarnate Zep. Fine. But saying you have moved on and want to explore new horizons and trying to distance himself as far from Zep as possible, all the while playing Zep tunes with everyone else smacks of hypocrisy.

I remember Queen being so far past every other act it could have just been them and no one would have cared.

I know Plant has said he doesn't want to reincarnate Zep. Fine. But saying you have moved on and want to explore new horizons and trying to distance himself as far from Zep as possible, all the while playing Zep tunes with everyone else smacks of hypocrisy.

Please provide us with examples of him saying that since he started playing Zepp songs again.

When he set out in his solo career he was very tentative - as his story of sitting with Jimmy whilst he played him "Pictures At Eleven" atests, and really needed to prove to HIMSELF as much as anyone else that he could be succesful without Zeppelin. I was there the night he first began playing Zeppelin numbers in his set - it was at a University gig and NOTHING to do with money and sales figures, and the atmosphere was electric. It was a tremendous relief for him to be able to touch those songs again. He was euphoric.

Yes, he has said that he does not feel comfortable "reuniting" Zeppelin on a long-term basis and trying to be what he was 30 years ago and more. But he absolutely does NOT shy away from their legacy now - he is immensely proud of it.

Why on earth would someone trying to distance themselves actually be the one who pushed the whole O2 thing forward?

Jonesy was the one holding out against the O2, you know. Saint Jonesy. Bring on the "Jones apologists."

Jonesy was the one holding out against the O2, you know. Saint Jonesy. Bring on the "Jones apologists."

Should that surprise anyone after he was excluded from Page/Plant? And I'm not laying that all on Robert, by the way. But if I were in Jonesy's shoes I would have been a little hesitant last year too. "Oh NOW you want me?"

Please stop digging up that old line of Robert's about Zeppelin being a boy band, by which he meant that it represented his younger days. You misunderstood it, OK?

We all knew that years ago.

Yes, yes, I'm sure you did. :rolleyes:

Old ? Years? Just barely 2 but I guess you have to justify your 'old line' comment to a newbie such as myself.

I'm also sure you knew about everything that went on in Stockholm. I'm sure you knew the complete context of how, when and why it was delivered....years ago.

I'd tell you but I was in this room you see and we were all sworn to secrecy you see or even worse, you'd find a way to apologize for that too! :D

I don't understand why people who think Jimmy Page can do no wrong aren't called Page apologists.

If you're gonna be posting stats about FBO posts, why not look up the one where I called myself just that sweetie.

(Any more orders, sir? :rolleyes: )

Umm, Orders?! Show me one.

Sir?! Nah, haven't been knighted yet.

OK, you want orders ? Supersize it and I want fries with that!

Oh my god, why is this still going on and on and on?

Those who are ok with Robert Plant's statement, will always understand him and support his decision and works. We can accept his statement without much complaining.

Those who dislike him should be EXTREMLY happy now that you don't need to listen to him again while enjoying Jimmy's or Jonesy's or Jason's playing.

So why can't we all relax a bit and lean back and have a beer?

Cheers. :beer:

Should that surprise anyone after he was excluded from Page/Plant? And I'm not laying that all on Robert, by the way. But if I were in Jonesy's shoes I would have been a little hesitant last year too. "Oh NOW you want me?"

Saint Jonesy I'm sure, felt very disrespected for not getting a heads up personally when P/P did Unledded and he had to find out from the media. Nothing compared to how devastated Robert was in '77 when his so called friends were nowhere to be found when he really could have used them.

I'd tell you but I was in this room you see and we were all sworn to secrecy you see or even worse, you'd find a way to apologize for that too! :D

I know you have been asked to stop posting this disrespectful crap. But I guess you think you're above that.

Saint Jonesy I'm sure, felt very disrespected for not getting a heads up personally when P/P did Unledded and he had to find out from the media. Nothing compared to how devastated Robert was in '77 when his so called friends were nowhere to be found when he really could have used them.

Zooma, if I could reach, I'd kiss you.

Absolutely brilliant! If I were gay I'd kiss you too! :hysterical:

I know you have been asked to stop posting this disrespectful crap. But I guess you think you're above that.

No, no I'm not. But I do certainly know you don't posses an ounce of humor ( your avatar tells me so!) and can dish it out, but certainly can't take it. So I will make sure to stear clear of trying to be a jokester lest I rattle your bones.

Now, let's get back to the real serious on topic reports of how good a kisser you are...tell tell... It would seem kinda dry....

now stop poking me with your finger.

Someone said it just moments ago...everyone needs to relax and take it in stride. It's just a band, this is just a hobby, the worldwide market's tanking and will I have a roof over my head in the next year?

SO bye for now... but here's to good times ahead. Good times...Good times...

You don't see the humour in my avatar you're more blind than an old bullfrog.

You not spotting an ounce and calling me names and hurting me poor feelings should qualify as trash talk...sniff :D :D

Someday I'll buy you a beer, although you seem like a lightweight!

Cheers. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Archived