Robert Plant - Official Statement

sam_webmaster

The sad part is that there has to be something occuring, positive or negative to see this group play together. (Live Aid, Atlantic 40th, Ahmet Tribute). Maybe we as fans just want to see the GREATEST BAND OF ALL TIME, just go out and PLAY! Is that so bad to say?

Jerry Wexler, Ahmet's partner at Atlantic died recently, should his widow/family approach Zeppelin to play? My point being, it seems it has to be benefits to get them to play. Why not just one last Thank You tour for the fans? Afterall, we did and continue to line there pockets, even though there hasn't been a band since 1980. We contributed to the wealth and star power they have today. As Jimmy said at the MoJO awards....it needs to be done in the spirit of it.....Get some spirit fellas!

Thanks for the post sam, and for the reply robert. At least now we know sorta what he is planning, I mean he isnt 20 years old anymore to expect him to record with zep right after krauss is a little weak. But It must be really hard trying to go solo when all your assocations are with Led Zeppelin lol. But best of luck to the other 3 hopfully percy can atleast do one or two tracks? :P i kno, i gotta play devils advocate :D

:wacko:

It's nearly a year since the O2. The man has left Zeppelin fans twisting for ten months, literally through hurricanes.

"It's frustrating and ridiculous..." No shit, Sherlock... :rolleyes: 'Bout time he stepped in and stopped it; since he's literally the only one who could.

Anyway the clarification is certainly welcome, and I wish him happy trails in the future.

Bring on the Js! :cheer:

Robert said it was a one off concert. He did make the "mistake" of saying you never know whats around the corner. Which for some meant yes, for some reason.

He is pretty clear here.

I really thought that Robert would end up doing a new Zep album and tour. The fact is, however, Robert has the right to choose his path in life as we all do. I wish him the absolute best. What I really want to see in 2009 is Mr. Page on tour. It would be really sweet to see JPJ and Jason along with Jimmy, but I guess we'll all just have to wait and see. It's very exciting to think of the possibility of JPJ and Jimmy working together on new music. Hopefully we will get some positive news soon.

You have to give Robert credit for addressing this instead of letting his fans twist in the wind. Not what most wanted to hear ok, but at least now we know.

Agree 100%, this should close the book on any future Zeppelin activity, one off's included. If Robert's not down for it now, he never will be. If he gets the "itch" in two years pretty sure what Jimmy and JPJ's reaction to that would be. :hysterical:

What part of "Its frustrating and ridiculous" did you not understand? :huh:

Well that exact quote from Robert Plant was “It‘s both frustrating and ridiculous for this story to continue to

rear its head when all the musicians that surround the story are keen to get on with their individual projects and move forward,”

In context that quote was in response to the Sun Article.

I take it to mean that Robert Plant was frustrated and found it to be ridiculous that the sun would post an article about something that he has not even fully explored yet because he hasn't even finished the current project that he is already involved with.

Of course he would be Frustrated and it would be ridiculous for the SUN to release an article that was not true.

He has not officially and quite possibly not even privately decided to get back together.

No surprise and well done RP for speaking up!

PS - Hope The Sun is reading!

Hi Knebby,

Totally agree with you on this one, but i'm not sure that i believe it, it could be Roberts idea of some fun with the media, then again it is on his web site so who knows? Best i can hope for is some more live DVD stuff from Jimmy as i dont see myself trying to get tickets for any gigs they may or may not do.

Just been looking at the O2 show on DVD and to be honest Robert didnt look like he was enjoying it as much as the fans were or as much as i had hoped he would, so i am not surprise that he dosen't want to do anything with the other band members. Its up to him to make his own mind up, and its up to us fans to accepet his decision, even if we cry untill christmas about it. So good luck Robert, in what ever venture you deciede to take on, and maybe you can do a guest apperiance or two with the others and bring some of your fans a little light in to their darkest hour.

Regards, Danny

What part of "Its frustrating and ridiculous" did you not understand? :huh:

I can understand the frustration of it all since it has gone on for ages and will probably continue until something solid takes place to really light or blow out the candle but it seems at this point the stand would be easier to laugh it off than to get frustrated since nothing is really meant to harm anyone involved. From a different viewpoint it's kind of funny.

For me it seems a form of flattery...and Mr. Plant and the other former members of Led Zeppelin are not the only ones who have been ask such questions before...it seems to go with the surrounding.

I do think if the media is responsible for this type of false information then that is frustrating and ridiculous and it seems the Sun was up to something either to get a statement or had an insider that wasn't very trustworthy but for me I feel the fans that wish for such are hardly at fault for just being hopeful because many respect the music and the performers.

I for one love all the different branches from the Led Zeppelin tree and I'm always living in the present and looking toward the future even if we all have a foot in the past but then as Oscar Wilde once said...

There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.

I hope I'm in the right line if that moment suggested earlier comes up :D

Mr. Plant DID say for at least two years, I'm pretty sure I didn't read "I'll never tour with Zeppelin again".... so there's a chance!!!! A 2010 Tour..... And I'm counting down the days!

:) Though life is full of surprises, let's not hold our breaths here for 2 long.

Hi Knebby,

Totally agree with you on this one, but i'm not sure that i believe it, it could be Roberts idea of some fun with the media, then again it is on his web site so who knows? Best i can hope for is some more live DVD stuff from Jimmy as i dont see myself trying to get tickets for any gigs they may or may not do.

Just been looking at the O2 show on DVD and to be honest Robert didnt look like he was enjoying it as much as the fans were or as much as i had hoped he would, so i am not surprise that he dosen't want to do anything with the other band members. Its up to him to make his own mind up, and its up to us fans to accepet his decision, even if we cry untill christmas about it. So good luck Robert, in what ever venture you deciede to take on, and maybe you can do a guest apperiance or two with the others and bring some of your fans a little light in to their darkest hour.

Regards, Danny

He really loved the O2 gig Dan, honest, he REALLY enjoyed it. If he looks like that isn't the case, it's probably because one of his best mates had been brought in in a wheelchair from a hospice to watch the show, and died less than two weeks later. It was a very tough night from that perspective, for many of the people there.

Glad you could wish him luck though. Wish others here were that considerate. :beer:

ROBERT PLANT Shoots Down LED ZEPPELIN Reunion Rumors

Robert Plant has shot down reports that LED ZEPPELIN will reunite for a one-off memorial concert in honor of their late record company boss.

A report was published earlier in the week suggesting that Robert Plant, guitarist Jimmy Page and bassist John Paul Jones will re-group alongside John Bonham's son Jason for a special concert in memory of Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun in London.

A source was quoted as saying, "Page, Plant and Jones spoke and agreed to do the memorial concert. They are waiting for a definite date.

"And no one can quite believe it, but during discussions about the concert they all gave the green light to a tour if it all does well and they don't all fall out.

"It has been hoped for and denied for years. But this is the closest they have ever come to a reunion tour. The feeling is that this is going to happen next year."

Speaking at a press conference for the upcoming Rockwave festival — which is scheduled to be held June 29, July 1 and July 3 in Athens, Greece — Plant insisted that he hadn't heard anything about the rumored ZEPPELIN reunion and jokingly added, "If there was one, then there wouldn't be enough doctors to support it!"

Ertegun died in December 2006 after seven weeks in a coma following a fall at a ROLLING STONES concert.

- June 28, 2007

Tell the truth, when you read the first line, you thought it was referring to the current situation

I think anyone who speculates that Robert will change his mind going forward have lost the plot.

He was clearly on the fence about this all thorugh the Kraus tour, and people had reason to believe he could have come around, but he's made his decision. Eventually he'll probably provide more detail on why he decided to do this. Did the 3Js hiring a replacement singer as blackmail piss him off? Was Robert afraid he wouldn't be able to hold his voice together in a Zepset after the O2? It could be a million things or a combination of things. But he HAD to get off the fence already, and he did it.

The 2 year thing almost sounds like semi-retirement, or at least AVOIDING being on the road so as not to compete head on with what the 3Js are doing. This could be a sign of respect or just a strategic retreat. We'll see.

I do think it's safe to say that we'll probably never see him singing in a full-intensity hard rock context ever again. I think whatever he does down the road it's going to be in a lighter mode, if for no other reason than his physical limits.

No it doesn't. I find it absolutely amazing how people can read statements that are as clear as day like this one and make them seem ambiguous and saying something they aren't.

He wishes them well with any future projects - he DOES NOT say that those projects involve them working together.

That is down to THEM to announce. Is everyone gonna start clamouring for that now?

It absolutely DOESN'T say that. Jeez do you need him to SPELL it out for you?

"YES" some people do need it spelt out. so if you have the time Knebby please oblige. Many thanks. Danny

Well, I'm just glad the cards are on the table and everyone can move forward. I actually feel really, really bad for all the guys because one idiot started such a rumor that flew around the world overnight and started such a frenzy. None of them could have been in a comfortable situation, for many reasons.

Life moves forward, as always! Everyone must follow their own dreams and I'm glad that it appears that this is exactly what's going to happen. I would be very disappointed if the J's didn't follow their dreams if they built them all around Robert. When you really want to do something (create new music, perform, or whatever) you find a way to do it.

OK, so new album in the works for PK and hopefully something new and exciting from the J's soon. Life is good :)

Didn't read through all the posts, so excuse me if I'm being repetitive.

Anyway, trying to be optimistic...assuming that the three J's are working on a project and hopeful tour. Tickets will be much cheaper and accessible for any project that is not promoted as "Led Zeppelin". From my point of view, I would probably rather see the new band from the first 20 rows rather than "Led Zeppelin" from 100 yards away.

Thank you Sam.

Thank you Robert. Now folks can move on.

The hints were certainly there. Now, in my mind throwing that mike at the end of the O2 DID say something! :P

Also he was saying "This would be a lovely place to retire," while touring with Krauss.

AND, he's "shopping for a dog." Sounds like he will be living happily at home, away from everyone.

I am sooo thankful that he made an official announcement.

GOOD FOR YOU Robert!!! :kiss::kiss:

Stay true to yourself, your heart, and your peace of mind.

:):beer:

And have a nice long rest, so well deserved.

He really loved the O2 gig Dan, honest, he REALLY enjoyed it. If he looks like that isn't the case, it's probably because one of his best mates had been brought in in a wheelchair from a hospice to watch the show, and died less than two weeks later. It was a very tough night from that perspective, for many of the people there.

Glad you could wish him luck though. Wish others here were that considerate. :beer:

Hi Knebby,

Well i never knew that about his mate, makes him just like the rest of us then, a considerate human being in my book. I'm glad he enjoyed the show and as you know i had a strop on at the time because as i can see the O2 from where i live and i couldn't go, (well i did go but only to drive around the O2 for an hour thinking i would see or hear something, grow up Dan).

But now i have had time to reflect i do not blame him or hate him for not doing more with Led Zeppelin, at least i saw them in the flesh 3 times, i taped the Knebworth 4th show and the Munich 1980 show, and if that makes me a bootlegger then so be it.

And now i have transfered them to mp3 files i can play them till my hearts content, and i can only say "Thank You" for giving me so much enjoyment in the last 40 odd years. And for throwing up so many Tribute bands for me to relive my youth with, also accompanied by my wife and boys who all enjoy the experiance as much as i do.

But what we seem to forget is this, Robert is dealing with a huge ego, he has been called the best Rock singer in the business for decades, and he is in my opinion. He has also had a hugh successful solo career spaning 28 years, over twice as many years as with Led Zeppelin, and for what ever reason he does not need the money or the accolade that touring with Led Zeppelin would bring. If he had not been successful then who knows what would have happened.

Maybe it would have been the same as he seems a very sincere guy who would not have betrayed his beliefs. He will do what he wants to do and not what we want him to do, and thats how it should be. If his heart isnt in it then i would not want him to go throught the motions just for us.

Regards, Danny

Archived