Robert Plant - Official Statement

sam_webmaster

Originally I thought a joint statement from the three surviving members would be more appropriate, but this one specific point of interest merits him having issued his own.

So perhaps now Jimmy and Jonesy will make some sort of statement as to their intentions.

The road is clear for them now (so to speak) if it was even ever really blocked. :huh:

The time is now ripe for them to do so and I for one hope its soon and its something to look forward to. :)

Thanks Sam for pinning this announcement.

Not the news I was hoping to hear but it doesn't really change my world one way or the other. I've enjoyed Led Zeppelin for 35+ years and will continue to do so for the next 35. Oh what the heck......I will request to have "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" played at my funeral so as to take them with me into the afterlife.

See you in 2 days at the WaMu, Robert!

This is an official statement from Robert, which I've posted on his website.

-Sam

Sam, thank you for sharing Robert's official statement with us.

Many thanks to Robert for taking time out of his tour to made this statement. For those of us who were there to experience Zep's glory days, in our hearts, Robert will always be "that guy", the "Golden God".

Form an orderly line on the right, ladies. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: ........... girls :P

But I'm just enjoying the ride and open to whatever twist and turns and directions it leads...pretty much like we all secretly are.

Gosh sure do adore Robert Plant no matter what he does or doesn't do... B)

Great post. I feel you here :)

*notes general tone and direction of thread*

[sarcasm mode on]

I would just like to add my voice in here to apologize for Robert Plant...

[sarcasm mode off]

Only because this is what everybody else seems to be doing...

I guess posting any criticisms here would be a death sentence, so I'll simply keep my mouth shut and let the Plant-apologists continue to gush.

(Go ahead... bring on the flames... I've got flame-retardant clothes on, I've got my opinion, and NOTHING will make me change it! Besides... whatever the J's decide to do will outshine Plant so bad he'll wish he had agreed to a tour.)

Jimmy, John and Jason have have all said in various ways, dating back to January, that they are willing and able to perform as Zeppelin, but must wait for Robert. Jimmy said most recently, it takes four to be Zeppelin. We know the other three are working together; most people realize the fourth is Plant.

The timing of this announcement was clearly meant not to interfere with Plant's current solo project, which is just now drawing to a close. The drama of his silence up to now has stirred interest in his work this year, as well, just the sort of thing a man with a lifetime's experience in the music business would know perfectly well. Or are we to believe he's wet behind the ears?

The timing of this anouncement, and the very fact that he feels it neccessary to make such a statement at all, is presumably to quash the feverish excitement that he has done absolutely nothing to instaigate himself. He didn't have to but he has at least clarified the situation, and good on him for that.

Robert has said all along that he's not interested in a reunion, other than the O2 one-off. Yes, Jimmy has made it clear on a number of occasions before and after the concert that he'd love to take the band on the road but Robert was a stumbling block to achieving that.

Robert made his feelings perfetly clear to UK journalist Allan Jones in August/September 2007, just as news of the O2 show was breaking:

"There'll be one show....When she (Ahmet's widow, Mica) approached me, I told her I'd do anything for her, for Ahmet".

Q. Will the O2 show be followed by a full-on reunion tour?

"No, absolutely not. There'll be one show, and that'll be it. We need to do one last great show. Because we've done some shows and they've been crap. "

Q. But if the show goes spectacularly well, and the thrill of playing as Zeppelin returns, won't there be a temptation to go back for a world-wide last hurrah?

"Not for me, but I can't speak for anyone else"

The last line is telling, as it indicates that by then (and rehersals started a few months prior to that) the other three were possibly thinking about the future together, whilst Robert wasn't. For the life of me I can't see why so many people had so many hopes raised when all the indications were that a tour was very unlikely.

Nathan, you really are a die-hard. I hope they can meet your high expectations...soon.

:P

I think Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, and Jason Bonham will meet my expectations quite well.

Would've been better if they had Plant, but considering he's decided to be... oh wait...excuse me... let me stop myself before I commit the big sin of saying something negative about Robert Plant, the Messiah... I'm supposed to apologize for Plant here as it is, after all, the Robert Plant forum (wait... what? :blink::angry: ). Woe on me for being angry at him, right?

:rolleyes:

You know, on the other hand, Robert's lyrics as of late (that is, Mighty Rearranger and such) haven't really been that good... maybe the J's are better off... maybe they'll find someone who still has their lyrical ability intact and will do a lot better then they could have done with Plant...

(Uh oh... God help me... I just used a "sour grapes excuse"... I must really be pissed... should I put on my bullet-proof outfit, now?)

I'm a little bit bummed, but I respect Robert's decision. Zeppelin always did their own thing, and that's one of the things I and many others admire about them.

I'm honestly much more concerned about what's going on with the economy today :unsure:

Thank goodness Robert for speaking out and letting us all know :)

Jimmy, John Paul and Jason I look forward to anything you do together if you do, hope we get some great music from you guys and at least the Led Zeppelin legacy has been left in tact with that gig last year. That was the best way to go out...on top.

*notes general tone and direction of thread*

[sarcasm mode on]

I would just like to add my voice in here to apologize for Robert Plant...

[sarcasm mode off]

Only because this is what everybody else seems to be doing...

I guess posting any criticisms here would be a death sentence, so I'll simply keep my mouth shut and let the Plant-apologists continue to gush.

(Go ahead... bring on the flames... I've got flame-retardant clothes on, I've got my opinion, and NOTHING will make me change it! Besides... whatever the J's decide to do will outshine Plant so bad he'll wish he had agreed to a tour.)

I love to hear other people's opinions. Nathan, keep your flag fying. I went to see a "Queen" gig... 3 years ago, in Hyde Park ( is this an American site???.... if it is I will add that that is in London....UK...but you probably all know that anyway...) ANYWAY.. this gig??? Mmmmm..."Queen" it was NOT. Without the wondrous Freddie Mercury it was nothing. the most poignant part was when they played Freddie film on the backstage screen. Without Freddie, the rest of the band were "the background pushed to the front". In my heart, Nathan, I think that Robert Plant, in his day, was soooo sexy, vibrant, SOOO in the foreground ( even though Jimmy's guitar was ALMOST as good as Hendrix .... his trousers were never as good as Plants!!) that, without Mr. Plant... the rest would seem like an empty pot. I wouldn't go and see "Led Zep"..( if it could be) without Robert Plant....I guess he just isn't your cup of tea. XX Me?... I'd down him in one! :D

Well, that's it then. All the hoopla with the Sun and all, was nothing but bs.

It's too bad because a lot of folks were really hoping this reunion gig would turn out to be something more, but this kind of puts the kabosh to it. It's like the air has been let out of the balloon.

Well, that's it then. All the hoopla with the Sun and all, was nothing but bs.

It's too bad because a lot of folks were really hoping this reunion gig would turn out to be something more, but this kind of puts the kabosh to it. It's like the air has been let out of the balloon.

To be honest loads of us always new it was never going to happen, we have had false dawns before :huh: But Robert gets my full respect, stick to what he wants to do, he is being true to himswlf while lesser people would of gone for the adulation/money etc .

I'm happy Robert has released a statement. I totally support and respect his decision. I wouldn't want them to all reunite if all of their hearts weren't into it. I'm sad at the thought of waiting two years for him to tour again and hoping that won't be the case :boohoo:

Amazing though how people were on Robert's case to issue some sort of statement, so now he does and he's still slagged. :(

I love to hear other people's opinions. Nathan, keep your flag fying. I went to see a "Queen" gig... 3 years ago, in Hyde Park ( is this an American site???.... if it is I will add that that is in London....UK...but you probably all know that anyway...) ANYWAY.. this gig??? Mmmmm..."Queen" it was NOT. Without the wondrous Freddie Mercury it was nothing. the most poignant part was when they played Freddie film on the backstage screen. Without Freddie, the rest of the band were "the background pushed to the front". In my heart, Nathan, I think that Robert Plant, in his day, was soooo sexy, vibrant, SOOO in the foreground ( even though Jimmy's guitar was ALMOST as good as Hendrix .... his trousers were never as good as Plants!!) that, without Mr. Plant... the rest would seem like an empty pot. I wouldn't go and see "Led Zep"..( if it could be) without Robert Plant....I guess he just isn't your cup of tea. XX Me?... I'd down him in one! :D

Yeah, I've heard some of the new Queen and you're right. It is not Queen.

You're also right... Plant is not my cup of tea. Never was. In fact, the best thing he's done, IMO, post-zep, was No Quarter (Page/Plant Unledded) and Walking into Clarksdale, which was subpar on its own.

I've never been a Plant fan, and even less so for his constant remarks about Led Zeppelin pre-O2. Leading up to O2, during O2, and immediately after O2, it seemed that Plant had changed his mind.

Now he's back to being the David Gilmour of Led Zeppelin... all well.. screw him.

So Robert's left the building

Leaves me feeling pretty blue

I need medication

So will some of you

So open up a bottle

Take it down the hatch

No more Led Zeppelin

It's high-time we cracked

Yeah, I've heard some of the new Queen and you're right. It is not Queen.

You're also right... Plant is not my cup of tea. Never was. In fact, the best thing he's done, IMO, post-zep, was No Quarter (Page/Plant Unledded) and Walking into Clarksdale, which was subpar on its own.

I've never been a Plant fan, and even less so for his constant remarks about Led Zeppelin pre-O2. Leading up to O2, during O2, and immediately after O2, it seemed that Plant had changed his mind.

Now he's back to being the David Gilmour of Led Zeppelin... all well.. screw him.

So open up a bottle

Take it down the hatch

No more Led Zeppelin

It's high-time we cracked

Great post Nathan -- couldn't have said it better myself. The David Gilmour of Led Zep -- perfect statement. However, I am glad to finally get some actual comments from a Led Zep member. My hats off to Plant for finally saying something on the subject. I am not too tore up to see him skip on a reunion tour. I would love to see Led Zeppelin again, but Plant's selfishness really has me turned from him and I could care less if I ever see him perform again. I look forward to the other three carrying on without Plant.

Guess I kind of saw it coming, in my heart of hearts. Oh well. It's been fairly obvious Zep hasn't been Robert's cup of tea for quite some time, and that's perfectly okay.

A lot of people will understandably be disappointed, and their disappointment will spill over on to this board here and there - it's unavoidable. I hope others understand this and exercise some patience.

But I can also see where Robert might be coming from. I say 'might' because I have no idea what his motives are, or even whether he has any. To the older musicians on the board - I'm sure some of you played in bands when you were in your late teens or twenties that sounded a certain way. No doubt your enthusiasm for the band and that sound was boundless - at the time. But if some of you were to form/join a new band today, it would probably sound quite different to your first band. People's tastes change over time. I suspect that might be what happened to Robert, and it's normal.

I wish the very best of luck to all the guys in their future endeavours.

The David Gilmour of Led Zep -- perfect statement. However, I am glad to finally get some actual comments from a Led Zep member. My hats off to Plant for finally saying something on the subject. I am not too tore up to see him skip on a reunion tour. I would love to see Led Zeppelin again, but Plant's selfishness really has me turned from him and I could care less if I ever see him perform again.

David Gilmour and Robert Plant should be respected for their views. They don't want to reform their former bands, simple as. Hats off to them for choosing new ventures rather than simply taking the easy option.

Great post Nathan -- couldn't have said it better myself. The David Gilmour of Led Zep -- perfect statement. However, I am glad to finally get some actual comments from a Led Zep member. My hats off to Plant for finally saying something on the subject. I am not too tore up to see him skip on a reunion tour. I would love to see Led Zeppelin again, but Plant's selfishness really has me turned from him and I could care less if I ever see him perform again. I look forward to the other three carrying on without Plant.

Thats silly, Plant has put out some great output as a solo artist, Lets hope they all do something good Ie. Plant solo or with Krauss or and The rest of them. He is not selfish, he is doing what he thinks is right. He isn't going to turn Zeppelin into a pantomine act like the Rolling Bones !! I for one am glad, they went out on top last year. He has said that he hasn't put it out of the question to playing another gig sometime for the right cause, that in my book is great as we in a few years might see them do another one off, thats not being selfish.

You are aloud your opinion but to say you hope he nevr performs again is a little childish (thats my opinion).

Can't say I'm that cut up over Robert's statement. I'm never that sad when they set the record straight. Maybe it's because I don't know any different. Or maybe it's because I'm the ultimate pessimist and believe I would never get a ticket. In an awful way, and I mean this with no disrespect, I always imagined that tickets for JP/JPJ/JB's project would be a lot more easier to obtain. It Robert was part of the fold the mass hyteria involved would be a bit like O2 all over again - and I'm never that lucky. For someone with an anxiety problem, I was already worrying before it had even began.

In my heart of hearts I knew the Sun was yanking our chain, but you so want to believe. And people were validating the story of the stand in singer, so I actually thought there could've been some truth to it all.

If it sounds too good to be true, then it usually is.

Having said that, if Robert's out, I sure as hell won't let that stop me from seeing the boys, should they tour. At this point, I'll take what I can get. I wish Robert all the best, and respect that he set the record straight, but, naturally feel slightly disappointed that the rumour was too good to be true.

I guess you're not really a Zeppelin fan unless you hear the obligatory 'Led Zeppelin Reunite' once a year.

Archived