William Burges

Otto Masson

Thanks for the information, Allison. I am familiar with both Crook's book and the pamphlet - I was hoping that there might be another book devoted to Burges's life and influences.

Sure--have you read the Crook bio? It's not as old as I'd thought, in fact, so might be worth a look. I've just called it up myself. Apparently Burges traveled to Turkey, where I'm sure he studied Ottoman art and architecture (as, of course, did many 19thC artists).

Sure--have you read the Crook bio? It's not as old as I'd thought, in fact, so might be worth a look. I've just called it up myself. Apparently Burges traveled to Turkey, where I'm sure he studied Ottoman art and architecture (as, of course, did many 19thC artists).

Actually, I haven't read the Crook bio as I've never been able to track it down in any of the libraries I frequent. To be honest, anything that I have read about Burges has been in "history of architecture" books. Time for another ILL request.

Great pics, Otto, thanks for posting them. Burges was a friend and colleague of Morris, and certainly influenced by many of the same writers and artists (like Ruskin, as you said) that the other PRB members were.

MSG: The only full bio is a really old one by a fellow named Crook. It's called William Burges and the High Victorian Dream (which I see Otto just now cited as well). The Matthews book is really just a tiny color pamphlet with many nice photos, but not a whole lot of text. There are similar tiles at Leighton House (Moorish influence).

Ah, of course, Moorish influences. If I am not mistaken you can see quite a bit of that in Brighton in the south of England. Haven't been there though.

Ah, of course, Moorish influences. If I am not mistaken you can see quite a bit of that in Brighton in the south of England. Haven't been there though.

It's a little more heavily Indian, but definitely also has Islamic elements (the Royal Pavilion anyway).

Archived