Grand Funk Railroad

EtherealAirship

I got to see Grand Funk while Mark still had his hair long. The first time was in 1972. At the Tarrant County Convention Center. Everyone stood up on their chairs at the beginning of the show. I saw them again for the Locomotion tour. And finally, on their reunion tour. Amazingly, Don Brewer's voice was evern better, than in the 70's....

My favorite Grand Funk album, was the double LP "Mark, Don, & Mel 1969-1971". It has never been relesed yet, onto CD. I think they should. That set has a lot of meaning to me, and old fan.

Don Kirshner filmed them in 1972 on their 'Phoenix' tour. Craig Frost and Don Brewer did a jam in the middle of the show that absolutely rocked. It should have been included on the album. Mark Farner played drums along side Brewer. You can find it on YouTube. Not to be missed.

GFR performed a benefit concert at MSG in NY in the early 70's. It was filmed.

Part for that concert was shown on the ABC Television Network on their Music Program titled:

ABC's In Concert

That footage has never been offically released. I'm told that Dick Clark has rights to it.

Dick Clark is a fan of "Pop" Music.... and not a big fan of Hard Rock.....

So there you go.....

They were like a number of hard rockin' bands that got pushed to the side when Zeppelin really started to get big. Not sure why that all happened as I alway's thought there was room for everyone but I guess the record executives thought differently.

For me "Closer To Home" is one of the best songs ever. I still crank that up when nobody's home. Takes me right back to my girlfriends house in grade 8 :D

Closer To Home http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M27OlJby4gc

• 2 years later...

I was always a hughe fan of them.

They seem to be one of the few bands comming from the states and being authentic.

You see I like the US for diffrent reasons but alot of people over here just don´t like a groupe

with words like" They sound too american" -or."They are just an american product."

GFR was diffrent I think..

Critics hated bands like Grand Funk Railroad for being too generic but when I was a kid and heard "I'm Your Captain" (or whatever song it may have been) for the first time, what some critic thought of it was the furthest thing from my mind. I liked it (and still do) because something about the music moved me. Just look at that crowd at Shea Stadium in the clip above, goes to show I wasn't the only one.

I was glad to see this thread because I remember being totally into the album "Flight of the Phoenix", circa 1972 or 1973?

I can't say I recall the songs now.

I think that was when my pivotal "Houses of the Holy" discovery intervened and I left Grand Funk at the train station in a heartbeat for Robert and the band. :D

This clip though, shows they were a strong power quad if you know what I mean. Not the best video, but you get the feeling.

Hi Jahfin,all,

Critics hated bands like Grand Funk Railroad for being too generic but when I was a kid and heard "I'm Your Captain" (or whatever song it may have been) for the first time, what some critic thought of it was the furthest thing from my mind. I liked it (and still do) because something about the music moved me. Just look at that crowd at Shea Stadium in the clip above, goes to show I wasn't the only one.

Nice clip,thanks! I *think* the Shea concert they broke The Beatles attendance record,...

KB

Great clip of the Shea concert B)

Like I mentioned, I still can't figure out how or why they faded from the scene so quickly

Because their albums started to suck?

This ^^^^ reason right here, yes.

I think it was because Todd Rundgren took over production of their albums. I remember very well getting the gold colored vinyl of "We're an American Band". However with the exception of the title track, not much on the album stood out as in previous efforts.

Then shortly after, I got Grand Funk's "Shinin' On" album. Let me tell you IMO that is where the train jumped the tracks. I mean I love Gerry Goffin/Carole King compositions as a rule,---just not done by a once great hard rock band. See what you guys think.

Oh, and the weird thing is I liked Todd Rundgren's 1970's solo stuff.

But, I still think he is responsible for their change on style. All a matter of individual tastes, of course. ......................:) missy

Sample #1, not too bad.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yOayjt2tGs&feature=related

And here we have Sample #2..........not so good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdJD_4Vm6Ew

For those of you unfamiliar with Todd Rundgren, this was his big hit in the Seventies, a pretty pop ballad.

I think Todd is is a very talented writer/musician. But I also think he was primarily responsible for changing Grand Funk's style to more pop,--definitely less funk!

Oh, Todd was a lot more than "Hello It's Me"

dazedcat,

Oh no, I didn't mean to imply that at all......that was for newbies only. I purchased "We Gotta Get You a Woman", "Hello, It's Me", and "I Saw The Light" when they came out on 45 records!

But the turning point (when I became a big fan) was FM radio started playing this album. Surely you must like this.

From Todd Rundgren's excellent "Hermit of Mink Hollow" album (1978)........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3Z4H61LXmQ&feature=related

"Can We Still Be Friends?".........

If I'm not mistaken, Todd played, wrote and produced this entire album himself. Yes, one very talented guy.

In fact, I think I might go track down the Todd Rundgren thread right now if there is one......:) missy

Back on Topic: My understanding was Todd took over all production duties for Grand Funk starting with WAAB album.That's when I personally felt Grand Funk went too pop, etc. But maybe the blame should lie with the band themselves since after all they were responsible (ultimately) for selecting, playing, singing those songs.

One of my fav groups- was too young to see them in their heyday but was lucky to see the original trio when they regrouped in 1998 (without Craig Frost on keyboards.)-awesome show. Was so glad their catalog was remastered with bonus tracks in 2001 along with the 1971 tour cd. Great jam band.

Don Brewer is getting ready to tour with Bob Segar again on drums. :D

For those of you unfamiliar with Todd Rundgren, this was his big hit in the Seventies, a pretty pop ballad.

I think Todd is is a very talented writer/musician. But I also think he was primarily responsible for changing Grand Funk's style to more pop,--definitely less funk!

I had no oppinion about Todd but he made alot of us angry in Knebworth.---

Round midday someone played "Rock and Roll" (Studio version) through the PA system.

There was a bigger applause for this than for all the bands playing live before Zep.

Than Todd was gigging and he was playing endless encores though there was noone shouting for this.

For this reason Zep entered the stage much to late and as we know it was not their best gig.

I don´t wanne make him responsible for this.Just say what happened this day.

After discovering Hard Rock music in October of 1969 (with LZ II), I then came across other Hard Rock/Prpgressive bands, like Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, ELP, Jethro Tull, and Grand Funk Railroad.

My very first GFR LP was the 2-Disc compilation MARK, DON & MEL:1969-1971. I played it all the time. Songs like Are You Ready, Inside Looking Out, Mean Mistreater, Loneliness, and Heartbreaker were my favorites.

I also like many of the songs on their 1975 live LP, CAUGHT IN THE ACT, especially Footstompin 'Music, Black Licorice, The Railroad, & Shinon' On.

I got to see GFR on three occasions. Once in 1972, 1973 (with Craig Frost), and in 1996? for their Reunion tour. I have never seen any of the other incarnations of the band, solo, or otherwise.

In '72, GFR's live show was still all Hard Rock. But by 1973, there was a definite Pop-Rock feel to their shows, glitz, if you will. Over time, I accept all of it, and enjoy the good of what they presented.

I also really enjoyed their appearance on ABC's IN CONCERT program from a MSG gig of Dec. 23, 1972. That was something to see, pre Don Kirshner's Rock Concert show.

Lots of great GFR memories. :)

dazedcat,

Oh no, I didn't mean to imply that at all......that was for newbies only. I purchased "We Gotta Get You a Woman", "Hello, It's Me", and "I Saw The Light" when they came out on 45 records!

But the turning point (when I became a big fan) was FM radio started playing this album. Surely you must like this.

From Todd Rundgren's excellent "Hermit of Mink Hollow" album (1978)........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3Z4H61LXmQ&feature=related

"Can We Still Be Friends?".........

If I'm not mistaken, Todd played, wrote and produced this entire album himself. Yes, one very talented guy.

In fact, I think I might go track down the Todd Rundgren thread right now if there is one......:)

Yes, Hermit was really done by himself in total. He played and sang everything on that album.

By all means, start a Todd thread here if there isn't one already. Personally speaking I never thought American Band was that bad of an album, but the LP's that came after that got lamer and lamer.

Archived