DISCO OR RAP, WHICH DO YOU PREFER?

ZeppFanForever

My son has just told me that Eminem is just as bad as the rest of the rappers, he said to listed to "Puke" and see what i think of him, he said he likes MCing more than rap, do you know what he means?

Regards, Danny

I think you're son meant the song Puke by Eminem. It's good but I think it's a little overrated.

MCing isn't really different then rap. Usually they're interchangeable. An MC is just a rapper with a microphone. He probably meant when they rap live, where you have the DJ and the MC singing/rapping. It's short for master of ceremonies (I actually didn't know that for a while..).

As far as hoes go, again the rap I listen to is nothing like that. That's this modern gangsta rap stuff I don't like

Gangsta rap was more a 90's thing; it died down after Tupac and Biggie were killed and with the advent of the 00's.

P.S. This is an awesome example of how degrading/offensive lyrics can be used to criticize or mock people who rap about bitches or 'hoes,' and to maybe send a positive message.

"Now come on everybody, let's make cocaine cool

We need a few more half naked women up in the pool

And hold this MAC-10 that's all covered in jewels

And can you please put your titties closer to the 22s?

And where's the champagne? We need champagne

Now look as hard as you can with this blunt in your hand

And now hold up your chain slow motion through the flames

Now cue the smoke machines and the simulated rain

But not too loud 'cause the baby's sleepin

I wonder if it knows what the world is keepin

Up both sleeves while he lay there dreamin..."

- Lupe Fiasco, (Daydreamin')

wanna,

I didnt mean to have my post to sound vindictive, more comical. But i understand where you drew that from maybe i could have been a bit more selective in the words. but the message was the same. yes rap has diluted itslf over the year just like alot of rock has aswell the problem im having is excepting rap was any good from the begging. When you have a bunch of guys (or gals ) playing instruments and singing. its alot different then timing your words to a beat. i mean it takes almost no skill. but there are others who have developed their voice and vocals like beat boxers who have done something creative with the style... kinda like jazz people scat... but i mean if you looking for talent look at what the music is and not who the person singing seems to be. BUt i mean man listen to what you listen to no offence, music with no skill is still music even if i dont want to admit it.

Gangsta rap was more a 90's thing; it died down after Tupac and Biggie were killed and with the advent of the 00's.

But see, Tupac and Biggie actually wrote some really inspiring material. Their words had meaning. Modern gangsta rap is reallt nothing more than bling and drugs.

P.S. This is an awesome example of how degrading/offensive lyrics can be used to criticize or mock people who rap about bitches or 'hoes,' and to maybe send a positive message.

"Now come on everybody, let's make cocaine cool

We need a few more half naked women up in the pool

And hold this MAC-10 that's all covered in jewels

And can you please put your titties closer to the 22s?

And where's the champagne? We need champagne

Now look as hard as you can with this blunt in your hand

And now hold up your chain slow motion through the flames

Now cue the smoke machines and the simulated rain

But not too loud 'cause the baby's sleepin

I wonder if it knows what the world is keepin

Up both sleeves while he lay there dreamin..."

- Lupe Fiasco, (Daydreamin')

Agreed, this is the stuff I don't listen to

wanna,

I didnt mean to have my post to sound vindictive, more comical. But i understand where you drew that from maybe i could have been a bit more selective in the words. but the message was the same. yes rap has diluted itslf over the year just like alot of rock has aswell the problem im having is excepting rap was any good from the begging. When you have a bunch of guys (or gals ) playing instruments and singing. its alot different then timing your words to a beat. i mean it takes almost no skill. but there are others who have developed their voice and vocals like beat boxers who have done something creative with the style... kinda like jazz people scat... but i mean if you looking for talent look at what the music is and not who the person singing seems to be. BUt i mean man listen to what you listen to no offence, music with no skill is still music even if i dont want to admit it.

Takes no skill? Did you even read the lyrics I gave to Dan? I dare you to even attempt to write something as meaningful or thought-provoking as Eminem. He's a great songwriter and I love his voice too.

Back to rap, like I said, I do prefer "old school" rap waaaay better than the rap that is out today!! I felt in the beginning it was new and fresh and majority of it was fun, but now it seems like EVERYONE is rapping, and alot of it is very negative, IMO. I have been enjoying the 100 Greatest Hip-Hop Songs countdown they are doing on VH1 this week. Alot of those songs bring back some great memories.

see the point im trying to make it yea, lyrically it can be well versed, not in the ones iv listened to and iv heard majors and such from biggie and two pack. i just cant dig it man. it contrasts agaisnt the music that isnt really that great ot begin with. dude seriously im not debating eminems or w.es lryics. I cringe when i hear his music. period. i havent and wont sit through that man.

and i play guitar not write lyrics, as i said its just my thoughts.

lmfao eminem

see the point im trying to make it yea, lyrically it can be well versed, not in the ones iv listened to and iv heard majors and such from biggie and two pack. i just cant dig it man. it contrasts agaisnt the music that isnt really that great ot begin with. dude seriously im not debating eminems or w.es lryics. I cringe when i hear his music. period. i havent and wont sit through that man.

and i play guitar not write lyrics, as i said its just my thoughts.

That's fine. You don't have to like them. I'm cool with that

lmfao eminem

This, however, was totally uncalled for...

Back to rap, like I said, I do prefer "old school" rap waaaay better than the rap that is out today!! I felt in the beginning it was new and fresh and majority of it was fun, but now it seems like EVERYONE is rapping, and alot of it is very negative, IMO. I have been enjoying the 100 Greatest Hip-Hop Songs countdown they are doing on VH1 this week. Alot of those songs bring back some great memories.
Probably the best post in this thread

That's fine. You don't have to like them. I'm cool with that

This, however, was totally uncalled for...

Hold up boys, time to chill i think. Drummer, you know i like you, so do most people on here, but you cannot convince all the people all the time.

The seventies was a unique time, young people like me started to get interested in the music more than the lyrics, we started picking up instruments, we wanted to copy our icons like Jimmy Page.

That had never really happened before, for most young people music meant dance, and dance meant meeting girls/boys. Music was fashon, but Rock changed all that, Led Zeppelin changed all that.

Dont get me wrong, Disco was far more popular than Rock, and many people that liked Rock went to Disco's, for pulling not for the music i might add. Not the other way round, Disco people didnt come to our Rock Pubs. And Pop will always be more accessable to the masses because it is easy to listen to, and makes a lot more money.

My Mum and Dan never liked anything i liked, or anything i did, but my Grandad and Nan were different. I lived with my Grandparents from the first days of my life and when they moved when i was 15 i went with them, they allowed me to be me and let me develope my own mind and i am forever greatfull to them for that.

I remember one day/night when i was playing my music quite loud, my Grandad knocked on my bedroom door, i thought to ask me to turn it down or even off, but no, he asked me quite nicely if i would play that "one with the drums" again as he had always liked it. Of course he ment "Moby Dick", i couldnt believe it, a 75 year old man digging JB, Led Zeppelin, ROCK, he blew me away. I didnt know that he could actually play the drums.

Not untill Grunge in the ninties did my type of Music become "fashonable" again, and now young people are digging things like Led Zeppelin again. This must mean that their music will never die as other genres have, so i thank the young-uns for having such taste. I will also try to understand some more of your music to return the compliment.

Good night Mr Drummer, and many thanks for your input, Regards, Danny

The groove and texture is what I would like about some HipHop. The words are secondary, but even the degrading lyrics can have much humor for me. The ghetto stories of their hoes, guns and drugs and even homophobia are hilarious.

The $20 sack pyramid off this is great!! :lol:

200px-Dr.DreTheChronic.jpg

Sure it's "mainstream" for the old genre, but very entertaining. Snoop is on it too, and adds highly to it.

Contrary to popular belief amongst naysayers, much HipHop has real instrumentation mixed in with their sampling. It's not all done by computer or swiping grooves. I like early 90s HipHop better than much of the 70s "classic rock".

The groove and texture is what I would like about some HipHop. The words are secondary, but even the degrading lyrics can have much humor for me. The ghetto stories of their hoes, guns and drugs and even homophobia are hilarious.

Oh yeah, there's nothing more humorous in this world than rap lyrics. I'll give you Baby Got Back as being funny.....anything Vanilla Ice ever did as being funny......but that's about all I'll give you.

Oh yeah, there's nothing more humorous in this world than rap lyrics. I'll give you Baby Got Back as being funny.....anything Vanilla Ice ever did as being funny......but that's about all I'll give you.

I need nothing from you, I get all the funnies I want from some of the hilarious lyrics. :D

Too bad you're so discriminatory. <_<

The lyrics are more fun than that disco crap by far.

But see, Tupac and Biggie actually wrote some really inspiring material. Their words had meaning. Modern gangsta rap is reallt nothing more than bling and drugs.

Agreed, this is the stuff I don't listen to

Huh? I was saying that Lupe's lyrics there were insulting the wannabe rappers out there today; that quote was saying how dumb the drugs and stuff are (Lupe doesn't smoke or drink at all, btw). I geuss you just misunderstood me, but Daydreamin' is an awesome song (Like all of Lupe's stuff).

I need nothing from you, I get all the funnies I want from some of the hilarious lyrics. :D

Too bad you're so discriminatory. <_<

The lyrics are more fun than that disco crap by far.

Dear, if there's anything I'm NOT, it's discriminatory. But thanks anyway.

Dear, if there's anything I'm NOT, it's discriminatory. But thanks anyway.

Holier than thou? We all have prejudices, bigotry and discriminations in our life. Don't try to be above it.

I can't stand Vanilla Ice, he's too pasty, like milquetoast. That goes for his music too.

Holier than thou? We all have prejudices, bigotry and discriminations in our life. Don't try to be above it.

Not hardly. Listen honey, I'm a lot of things, but a bigot isn't one of them. I have no bigotry in my life......I was raised better than that. Now you go back to thinking rap lyrics are funny and I'll go back to listening to KC and the Sunshine Band.

Huh? I was saying that Lupe's lyrics there were insulting the wannabe rappers out there today; that quote was saying how dumb the drugs and stuff are (Lupe doesn't smoke or drink at all, btw). I geuss you just misunderstood me, but Daydreamin' is an awesome song (Like all of Lupe's stuff).

I think I glanced over and misread it. My bad. :hippy:

One I posted earlier...

Mos Def & Talib Kweli - K.O.S. (Determination)

So many emcees focusin on black people extermination

We keep it balanced with that knowledge of self, determination

It's hot, we be blowin the spots, with conversations

C'mon let's smooth it out like Soul Sensation

We in the house like Japanese in Japan, or Koreans in Korea

Head to Philly and free Mumia with the Kujichagulia TRUE

Singin is swingin and writin is fightin, but what

they writin got us clashin like titans it's not excitin

No question, bein a black man is demandin

The fire's in my eyes and the flames need fannin (3X)

With that what? (Knowledge Of Self) Determination

*repeat 4X*

Things I say and do, may not come quite through

My words may not convey just what I'm feelin

Yes yes come on, yes yes

Knowledge Of Self is like life after death

With that you never worry about your last breath

Death comes, that's how I'm livin, it's the next days

The flesh goes underground, the book of life, flip the page

Yo they askin me how old, we livin the same age

I feel the rage of a million niggaz locked inside a cage

At exactly which point do you start to realize

That life without knowledge is, death in disguise?

That's why, Knowledge Of Self is like life after death

Apply it, to your life, let destiny manifest

Different day, same confusion, we're gonna take this

hip-hop shit and keep it movin, shed a little light

Now y'all bloomin like a flower with the power of the evident

Voices and drums original instruments

In the flesh presently presentin my representation

With that what? (Knowledge Of Self) Determination

*repeat 6X*

- - - - these two parts overlap - - - -

*repeat 2X*

The most important time in history is, NOW, the present

So count your blessings cause time can't define the essence

But you stressin over time and you follow the Roman calendar

These people enter Cona like Gattaca, you can bet

they tryin to lock you down like Attica, the African diaspora

represents strength in numbers, a giant can't slumber forever

I know you gotta get that cheddar whatever

Aiyyo I heard you twice the first time money, get it together

You must be History, you repeatin yourself out of the pages

You keepin yourself depleatin your spiritual wealth

That quick cash'll get your ass quick fast in houses of detention

Inner-city concentration camps where no one pays attention

or mentions the ascension of death, til nothing's left

The young, gifted and Black are sprung addicted to crack

All my people where y'all at cause, y'all ain't here

And your hero's using your mind as a canvas to paint fear

With, broad brush strokes and tales of incarceration

You get out of jail with that Knowledge of Self determination

Stand in ovation, cause you put the Hue in Human

Cause and effect, effect everything you do

and that's why I got love in the face of hate

Hands steady so the lines in the mental illustration is straight

The thought you had don't even contemplate

Infinite like figure eight there's no escape..

From that what? (Knowledge Of Self) Determination

*repeat 4X*

*repeat 2X*

*repeat 2X*

What I'm feelin, what I'm feelin, ooooh, what I'm feelin

Archived