DISCO OR RAP, WHICH DO YOU PREFER?

ZeppFanForever

I had some friends high school and college who introduced me to a few fun rap artists, so I like rap a bit more than disco, but the rest of the music now all sounds the same. (Now I sound like Jimmy 'it all sounds the same to me, just with different singers.." :D )and I have to go back to good rock --- or real soundtracks like by Miklos Rosza.

Hi "aen27!" How are you? Thats ok hon, you have the right and are entitled to like whatever kind of music that you choose to like. Everyone has different preferences, thats what makes the world go round. Thank you for your comment and ROCK ON FOREVER my dear.

Omg that's reminded me of a time, some months ago when I heard someone RAPPED STH!! I wanted to punch them so much...ruined a great song...<_< Rock on too :P

Hey "Jimmy's A Legend!" I heard about that too, do you remember who tried doing a Rap version of STH? I remember hearing PAT BOONE'S rendition of STH! In my opinion and please forgive me for saying this, but PAT BOONE'S version of STH sounded like shit! Thank you for your comment and ROCK ON FOREVER!

Hey man, it's all cool. No one has to like it but it just pisses me off when people say that rap isn't music. See, I play bass with kids and we'v made rap music with our sound so for someone to say that we didn't make music is bullshit.

I agree.

I think rap or hip-hop, I never know if they're the same or not, get a bad reputation of being all criminals or sellouts and it's just not the case. Hip-hop has become like rock, it's diverse and has generated other sub-genres, so when someone says "I like hip-hop" doesn't mean that he likes lil' wayne or whatever is he's name, not that there's something wrong with that.

I also understand that Led Zeppelin was formed and disbanded before the birth of hip-hop and for that matter many people here don't relate at all to this, but there a some of us who grew up with punk, hip-hop, electronica and other genres besides classic rock and rock and roll or the blues, so it's just natural that we like some music from said genres.

So to conclude, I prefer rap or hip-hop even though disco isn't that bad at all, and leave you with this video of the roots just to show how hip-hop is also music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFb9UqELX8w&feature=fvst

I agree.

I think rap or hip-hop, I never know if they're the same or not, get a bad reputation of being all criminals or sellouts and it's just not the case. Hip-hop has become like rock, it's diverse and has generated other sub-genres, so when someone says "I like hip-hop" doesn't mean that he likes lil' wayne or whatever is he's name, not that there's something wrong with that.

I also understand that Led Zeppelin was formed and disbanded before the birth of hip-hop and for that matter many people here don't relate at all to this, but there a some of us who grew up with punk, hip-hop, electronica and other genres besides classic rock and rock and roll or the blues, so it's just natural that we like some music from said genres.

So to conclude, I prefer rap or hip-hop even though disco isn't that bad at all, and leave you with this video of the roots just to show how hip-hop is also music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFb9UqELX8w&feature=fvst

How's it going "Joao?" I hope all is well with you. To be truthful with you, I'm not very sure if Hip Hop or Rap music are the same or not. This is an area that my good friend "wanna be drummer" might be able to answer for you. I hope that "wanna be drummer" is reading this post, maybe he can add some of his expertise on this subject. I know that MYA, CIARA and MARIAH have recorded some Hip Hop and I must admit, they sound pretty good. In my opinion, Hip Hop's music sounds a little like Rap music but the lyrics are so much better. I could be wrong but that is how I feel.

When you think about it "Joao," had it not been for the BLUES, GOSPEL MUSIC and COUNTRY MUSIC, ROCKABILLY music would have never seen its early fruitation and ELVIS PRESLEY would have never recorded "That's Alright" in 1955. When ELVIS came on the scene in the mid 1950's, everyone thought that ELVIS was a black man because the music back then has some of the BLUES sound in it. I remember reading when someone said back in the 1950's that if a white man can play and sing the BLUES like a black man, he would make a million dollars. Guess what? It happened! For the first time ever, on walked on stage, for the first time, a man by the name of ELVIS PRESLEY and did just that by playing and singing the BLUES like a black man.

I love soul music or how music critics refer it as being, the Motown sound from the 1960's! I'm a big fan of Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson, Junior Walker, The Temptations, The Four Tops, The Supremes, Martha Reeves and Aretha Franklin just to name a few.

I also love Funk music that came out beginning with the late great James Brown, Sly & The Family Stone, Ike & Tina Turner and The Isley Brothers just to name a few.

You're right "Joao," the mighty LED ZEPPELIN disbanded in 1980 whereas Rap had its early foundations and origins somewhere in late 1980-81 if I'm not mistaken. I am very familiar with Punk Rock, I like THE SEX PISTOLS and THE CLASH very much. In your opinion "Joao," do you think that NIRVANA'S music is mixed with Heavy Metal music and Punk Rock music? I love the BLUES, Soul music, Funk music, Disco music, Hard Rock music, Classic Rock and Heavy Metal music just to name a few.

I will always respect your opinions as to preferring Rap or Hip Hop music over Disco music. That is your right and you are entitled to like whatever kind of music that you prefer my friend. I admit, I would have never given Rap or Hip Hop music much of a listen had it not been for my daughter. My daughter loves Hip Hop music a lot although she does love The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones just to name a few. Thank you for your comment and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

I can deal with disco but I don't care for most of the rap out there.

I guess it's because disco is still music and singing, and rap is mostly talking with a beat in the background.

Just my two cents.

Hi "imPLANTed!" How are you? Thats a very good analysis, that is clearly very easy to understand. Thank you for your comment and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

How's it going "Joao?" I hope all is well with you. To be truthful with you, I'm not very sure if Hip Hop or Rap music are the same or not. This is an area that my good friend "wanna be drummer" might be able to answer for you. I hope that "wanna be drummer" is reading this post, maybe he can add some of his expertise on this subject. I know that MYA, CIARA and MARIAH have recorded some Hip Hop and I must admit, they sound pretty good. In my opinion, Hip Hop's music sounds a little like Rap music but the lyrics are so much better. I could be wrong but that is how I feel.

When you think about it "Joao," had it not been for the BLUES, GOSPEL MUSIC and COUNTRY MUSIC, ROCKABILLY music would have never seen its early fruitation and ELVIS PRESLEY would have never recorded "That's Alright" in 1955. When ELVIS came on the scene in the mid 1950's, everyone thought that ELVIS was a black man because the music back then has some of the BLUES sound in it. I remember reading when someone said back in the 1950's that if a white man can play and sing the BLUES like a black man, he would make a million dollars. Guess what? It happened! For the first time ever, on walked on stage, for the first time, a man by the name of ELVIS PRESLEY and did just that by playing and singing the BLUES like a black man.

I love soul music or how music critics refer it as being, the Motown sound from the 1960's! I'm a big fan of Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson, Junior Walker, The Temptations, The Four Tops, The Supremes, Martha Reeves and Aretha Franklin just to name a few.

I also love Funk music that came out beginning with the late great James Brown, Sly & The Family Stone, Ike & Tina Turner and The Isley Brothers just to name a few.

You're right "Joao," the mighty LED ZEPPELIN disbanded in 1980 whereas Rap had its early foundations and origins somewhere in late 1980-81 if I'm not mistaken. I am very familiar with Punk Rock, I like THE SEX PISTOLS and THE CLASH very much. In your opinion "Joao," do you think that NIRVANA'S music is mixed with Heavy Metal music and Punk Rock music? I love the BLUES, Soul music, Funk music, Disco music, Hard Rock music, Classic Rock and Heavy Metal music just to name a few.

I will always respect your opinions as to preferring Rap or Hip Hop music over Disco music. That is your right and you are entitled to like whatever kind of music that you prefer my friend. I admit, I would have never given Rap or Hip Hop music much of a listen had it not been for my daughter. My daughter loves Hip Hop music a lot although she does love The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones just to name a few. Thank you for your comment and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

I respect everyone's opinions too of course. :)

What's funny is that I don't usually listen to hip-hop at all but I feel like I have to defend it because of some misconceptions that people might have and that's perfectly fine obviously. But if someone prefers disco to rap who am I to blame them, like we say here in Portugal tastes can't be argued.

To answer your question, yeah i think heavy metal and punk are two of nirvana's influence and I would add garage rock too. Man it's been awhile since I've listened to nirvana, I gotta say I don't miss the 90's that much, certainly more than the 80's, great memories from the 90's though, my childhood.

I respect everyone's opinions too of course. :)

What's funny is that I don't usually listen to hip-hop at all but I feel like I have to defend it because of some misconceptions that people might have and that's perfectly fine obviously. But if someone prefers disco to rap who am I to blame them, like we say here in Portugal tastes can't be argued.

To answer your question, yeah i think heavy metal and punk are two of nirvana's influence and I would add garage rock too. Man it's been awhile since I've listened to nirvana, I gotta say I don't miss the 90's that much, certainly more than the 80's, great memories from the 90's though, my childhood.

How's it going "Joao?" Thank you for answering the question about NIRVANA'S music being mixed with Heavy Metal music, Punk music and Garage music. I guess that the name or term for this combining mixture formula is called Grunge Rock. Thank you for your comment and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

Rap is not a genre it is a style of vocal delivery. Hip-Hop is the genre. It is very wide and if you can't find something you like within its boundaries, you're crazy.

How's it going "MisterMcLov1n?" I totally agree with you on this, very well put. Thank you for your comment and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

Hey "Jimmy's A Legend!" I heard about that too, do you remember who tried doing a Rap version of STH? I remember hearing PAT BOONE'S rendition of STH! In my opinion and please forgive me for saying this, but PAT BOONE'S version of STH sounded like shit! Thank you for your comment and ROCK ON FOREVER!

Oh it was just some random people in town busking for money.

Oh it was just some random people in town busking for money.

How's it going "Jimmy's A Legend?" Those people just had to choose "Stairway To Heaven" didn't they? Have you ever heard PAT BOONE'S rendition of STH? If you haven't, be glad that you haven't heard it. PAT BOONE just shredded the whole song up and ruined it. Thank you for your comment and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

Rap. As hard as it is for some people to believe, there are some good Hip-Hop artists out there.

How's it going "LeBron?" I know that this sounds like a stupid question but in your opinion, what is the difference between Rap and Hip Hop? ROCK ON FOREVER my friend!

How's it going "LeBron?" I know that this sounds like a stupid question but in your opinion, what is the difference between Rap and Hip Hop? ROCK ON FOREVER my friend!

Haha it's going pretty good. I think that Hip-Hop is a lifestyle, and that rap is a part of the lifestyle, but others might say that rap is a more hardcore genre and that Hip-Hop is more like R&B.

Haha it's going pretty good. I think that Hip-Hop is a lifestyle, and that rap is a part of the lifestyle, but others might say that rap is a more hardcore genre and that Hip-Hop is more like R&B.

That does make sense because Hip-Hop does sound more R&B. Artists like Ciara, Mya and even Mariah has recorded some Hip-Hop wouldn't you say? ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

I prefer nailing my fucking head to my coffee table, rather than listen to either.

Hey "Rock Action!" Welcome to my humble thread. I knew that you were going to say something like that! Your head must have a lot of holes from all of the nailing on the table! Ha Ha! I respect your opinion my friend, but we'll always have LED ZEPPELIN and California in common won't we. We still have to PM each other and talk more on California with Gina.

Did you know that the Disco's/Nightclubs used to play an edited version of "Carouselambra" when it was released in 1979? What is your opinion on that? Take care and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

I love disco music! smile.gif

Play That Funky Music by Wild Cherry is my all-time favorite song!

I can't tolerate rap music. angry.gif

My oldest son is at a Tiesto concert tonight in Columbus.

I don't know what you would call his music? Electronic, rave music, techno?

http://www.tiesto.com/

Hi "BUCK'EYE' DOC!" How are you? You are a lot like me, I like Disco also. I LOVE "Play That Funky Music" by WILD CHERRY! In class, all of my friends and I used to say f*c*ing instead of funky when we were singing it real loud. My teacher caught all of us singing with the lyric f*c*ing and kicked us all out of his class. The thing is, when he kicked us out, there was hardly no one left in his class after that. Ha Ha! Thanks for your comment and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

Hi "BUCK'EYE' DOC!" How are you? You are a lot like me, I like Disco also. I LOVE "Play That Funky Music" by WILD CHERRY! In class, all of my friends and I used to say f*c*ing instead of funky when we were singing it real loud. My teacher caught all of us singing with the lyric f*c*ing and kicked us all out of his class. The thing is, when he kicked us out, there was hardly no one left in his class after that. Ha Ha! Thanks for your comment and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

Hi ZFF,

The band members from Wild Cherry are from Ohio, an area near the Ohio/West Virginia/Pennsylvania border.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Cherry_(band)

I love to dance. My husband is definitey NOT a dancer. sad.gif He doesn't mind if I dance with others at parties, etc. One of our few incompatability areas, lol.

Archived