Frontmen Of Rock

Rock N' Rollin' Man

Frontman of Rock  

239 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the greatest Frontman of Rock of all time?

• Mick Jagger (Rolling Stones)
    • Jim Morrison (The Doors)
    • Alice Cooper
    • Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)
    • Bon Scott (AC/DC)
    • Roger Daltrey (The Who)
    • Ozzy Osbourne (Black Sabbath)
    • David Lee Roth (Van Halen)
    • Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)
    • Other
  2. 2. If Robert, who would be second?

• David Lee Roth (Van Halen)
    • Ozzy Osbourne (Black Sabbath)
    • Roger Daltrey (The Who)
    • Bon Scott (AC/DC)
    • Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)
    • Alice Cooper
    • Jim Morrison (The Doors)
    • Mick Jagger (Rolling Stones)
    • Other

I think a person can tell right away when someone has that special something that makes them a great frontmen...

That person on stage usually has the ability to charm and enchant the whole crowd and control them for those hours or minutes that they are on stage. Usually after the show everyone is left with wanting more and during the show a person should feel like they want to be that person on stage or be with them haha

I don't think it's always about the voice of the frontman but how they interact with the crowd. He or she usually appears larger than life

Charming, dashing, mesmerizing...but then I've been to shows where the frontman was so disrespectful but many people still eat that up or that the person was so delicate that the audience seem to protect them.

I think Robert Plant embodied a spirit that makes him one of the great...what's funny to me is when I watch the Led Zeppelin dvd I can kind of see how he transformed into a Rock Legend or god lol

My short list of favorite frontmen that haven't been listed on the poll or in the comments but then what is considered rock haha

Paul Rodgers (Bad Company/Free/Queen)

Ian Astbury (The Cult/Doors)

David Coverdale (Whitesnake)

Michael Hutchence (INXS)

Iggy pop

Marc Bolan (T-Rex)

Paul Mccartney

Rod Stewart

Tom Petty

Peter Frampton

Janis Joplin

Axl Rose and Sebastian Bach and Jon Bonjovi

Paul Stanley and Billy Idol

Joan Jett

Honorable mentions to...

James Brown

Elvis Presley

Little Richard

Tina Turner

Chuck Berry

Jerry Lee Lewis

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Prince

Bruce Springsteen

Steve Marriott

Elton John

Steve Perry

There are so many out there and I know I can't list them all but we have been blessed

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I choose Robert Plant as my first choice. Jim Morrison is my second, I used to be really into The Doors. I still really like them Morrison had an amazing pressence on stage and was great at building anticipation in concert.

My short list of favorite frontmen that haven't been listed on the poll or in the comments but then what is considered rock haha

Paul Rodgers (Bad Company/Free/Queen)

Ian Astbury (The Cult/Doors)

David Coverdale (Whitesnake)

Michael Hutchence (INXS)

Iggy pop

Marc Bolan (T-Rex)

Paul Mccartney

Rod Stewart

Tom Petty

Peter Frampton

Janis Joplin

Axl Rose and Sebastian Bach and Jon Bonjovi

Paul Stanley and Billy Idol

Joan Jett

Honorable mentions to...

James Brown

Elvis Presley

Little Richard

Tina Turner

Chuck Berry

Jerry Lee Lewis

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Prince

Bruce Springsteen

Steve Marriott

Elton John

Steve Perry

There are so many out there and I know I can't list them all but we have been blessed

Hi 'Memphis'

I'd hate you to put up your fully comprehensive list. :lol:

Remember this guy? Thor, no better Front Man ever. :hysterical:

Enjoy and Regards, Danny

• 1 month later...

#1 Robert, without any question

second- he's not on the list , Paul Stanley, what a powerful , clear voice

Of course you cannot leave Freddy out his voice , wow!

Steven Tyler has always been a favorite though.

All of the Beatles because every single one of them fronted their own bands with success.

Elvis Presley

Have lots of frontmen I love, but nobody is like Robert Plant. He's beautiful, he's interesting to watch, has a huge vocal range, he's more humble than other frontmen. Some of my faves are down right obnoxious.

You can't front Led Zeppelin and be humble. You need an ego to command a stage and an audience of that magnitude. I mean, isn't he famous for shouting "I am a golden god!"? That's not to say I think he's stuck up his own ass or anything, just that being who he was (and is), takes some degree of ego.

In his prime, Roger Daltrey was the finest of them all. Nobody had the range that Daltrey did, it's not even close in my mind.

Who's second? Well having seen Humble Pie live and in full roar.......Steve Marriott.

You can't front Led Zeppelin and be humble. You need an ego to command a stage and an audience of that magnitude. I mean, isn't he famous for shouting "I am a golden god!"? That's not to say I think he's stuck up his own ass or anything, just that being who he was (and is), takes some degree of ego.

Hey, not saying Robert does not take command of the stage or he does not have an ego, his presence is enormous, just saying he's not obnoxious like some of my other favorites. Robert is smooth, seems flattered by the "Golden God" title.

In other words he does not seem to think he can get away with saying or doing anything just because.

He's no Diamond Dave, LOL!

And BTW I love Dave, Rob's just different.

Am I making sense......?

IMO, a classic front man has major swagger and ego, is flamboyant and either charming or a little crazy.

Robert Plant

Freddie Mercury

Mick Jagger

David Lee Roth

Jim Morrison

I think there's also a modern front man, like Bono, and probably Sting, with the humanitarian/socially conscious/branding-marketing/Twitter thing going on as well. I'm sure there are others who fit this mold too.

• 3 weeks later...

I hesitated a lot to say it: I LOVE Robert as singer and as human being, but not as much as a frontman :bagoverhead: . I mean he's in my top 3, but surpassed by Hutchence (what a presence!) or DLR (his athletic side make him unbeatable)

• 3 weeks later...

I've always had trouble deciding between Plant & Morrison, but i chose Morrison here. I just think he epitomizes the term "Rock God". His stage presence was unbelievable. I'd put Robert at #2. and Freddie definitely needs to be on that list.

• 1 month later...

My favorite is Freddie Mercury he will always be the greatest frontmen i see on everyone's list they list Freddie no.1 then Plant no.2 i guess is like some kind of traditional thing lol. I pick Roger Daltery and Mick Jagger after Mercury and Plant and then Bon Scott and Jim Morrison.

here's my list

1. Mercury

2. Plant

3. Daltery

4. Jagger

5. Scott/Johnson

6. Morrison

7. Rose

8. Hetfeild

9. Waters/Gilmour

10. Gillian

Archived