BOSTON'S DEBUT ALBUM FROM 1976!

ZeppFanForever

How's it going fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? I'm on my break at work today and I figured that I would bring up a band that needs no introduction. This band holds the world record for having the biggest selling debut album in Rock n' Roll history. 17 million to be exact. The band I'm talking about is the legendary BOSTON! I remember very well the day when BOSTON was released in 1976. BOSTON kicked ass in more ways than one. Every single song on BOSTON is great. When Lead and Rhythm Guitarist Tom Scholz recruited the late great Lead Vocalist Brad Delp, fellow Lead and Rhythm Guitarist Barry Goudreau, Bassist Fran Sheehan and Drummer Sib Hashian, BOSTON was born and Rock n' Roll would never be the same again. I would like to get all of your opinions and thoughts on this legendary band as well as your opinions on BOSTON'S debut album from 1976. R.I.P. Brad Delp, ROCK ON!

No disrespect intended but the first album i ever bought was Zep 4, i was just a kid. Buying Boston after that would be like buying a Pinto after owning a new BMW.

p.s. Aerosmith's Rocks came out the same year and to me it blew away Boston's decent effort.

I'm glad the horrible taste put in my mouth by them didn't sway me from the enjoyment I found in the city.

I love that dirty water.

The next prominent band to come out of Boston I believe was The Cars c. 1978. Now there's a band worthy of Beantown.

Boston was in the heap of "classic rock" in the mid to late 70s that turned my stomach.

Boston was in the heap of "classic rock" in the mid to late 70s that turned my stomach.

I bought that album when it came out. I don't recall anybody describing it as "classic rock" at the time. Nobody used that term back then. It was just a new heavy rock album, and some critics were excited about them. I remember there was a tag on the cover with a quote where one critic compared their chemistry to Led Zeppelin. That certainly was excessive praise. :whistling:

In retrospect it partly does sound like a precursor of that whole corporate thing. But it wasn't such a terrible album at the time. I remember as an 11 year old I liked Smokin' best, I mean the part where the harpsichord and riffing guitars come in, and then BAM! the organ. :lol:

I thought the production was top notch for the day. Tom Scholtz used his engineering knowledge to make a great album in his basement. The songs were decently crafted and acceptable. At the time, I loved them. I've heard that they weren't that great in concert, and looking at pictures of them, they were really not a good looking band. The drummer, with those short shorts and that big ass fro' looked stupid as hell. Other than Brad Delp, they looked rather ordinary.

Archived