Forgotten treasures

lucyinthesky

Free (blues/rock from late 60's to early 70's one of my favourite bands. This band never got really famous, if you not count their hit singel "All Right Now")

The Taste (the first band to Rory Gallagher, another good blues/rock group, also one of my many favourite bands)

The Allman Brothers Band (I don't know if I should name it unknown, but I don't think they got the fame they deserved. This is also one of my favourite bands)

Sorry for my bad English..

Free (blues/rock from late 60's to early 70's one of my favourite bands. This band never got really famous, if you not count their hit singel "All Right Now")

The Taste (the first band to Rory Gallagher, another good blues/rock group, also one of my many favourite bands)

The Allman Brothers Band (I don't know if I should name it unknown, but I don't think they got the fame they deserved. This is also one of my favourite bands)

Sorry for my bad English..

Paul Rodgers will ensure Free are never be forgotten.

Caravan.

Iron Maiden

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Maiden_(hard_rock_band)

In 1964, Barry Skeels, Steve Drewett, Chris Rose and Alan Hooker formed an acoustic band in Basildon, Essex that eventually evolved into a band called Iron Maiden (unrelated to the currently famous Iron Maiden). By 1966, the lineup was Skeels on bass, Drewett on vocals/harmonies, Rose on lead guitar, Tom Loates on rhythm guitar and Stan Gillem on drums; they played Rolling Stones and blues numbers under the name "Growth". Reduced to a two-piece, Drewett and Skeels played blues under the name of "Stevenson's Blues Department" in pubs and clubs in Essex and London. They supported a number of up and coming bands including Jethro Tull, Fleetwood Mac, The Groundhogs and King Crimson.

In 1968, Drewett and Skeels were joined by Paul Reynolds on drums and Trevor Thoms on guitar. They released an acetate ("God of Darkness"/"Ballad of Martha Kent") under the then risqué name of Bum. When they signed to the Gemini label in 1970, the name was changed to the less risqué Iron Maiden. They recorded their debut album, Maiden Voyage, but it was not released. Reynolds was replaced by Steve Chapman on drums and Iron Maiden released the single "Ned Kelly"/"Falling". This coincided with Mick Jagger's film Ned Kelly. A planned Australian tour fell through. The Gemini record label also folded (with the loss of the debut album master tapes) and Skeels left Iron Maiden. The band carried on without him for a while, but the debut album was not released until 1998 using duplicate tapes, pictures & press cuttings owned by Skeels.

I personally think there are much better songs on the album, but these two tracks are the only ones on youtube and they're still pretty good:

Ned Kelly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca8ayN6hzBQ

God of Darkness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdOCtuXKJII

The Attack

The founders Richard Shirman (the only original member to stay with the group throughout all of the lineup changes) and Gerry Henderson were originally in a group called the Soul System, whom, for the best part of a year, had a very unstable lineup. In early 1966, the remnants of the crumbling group were joined by Bob Hodges on organ, David John (not David John of David John & the Mood, but Davy O'List under alter ego) on guitar, and Alan Whitehead (on loan from Marmalade) on drums. They soon came to the attention of entrepreneur (gangster?) Don Arden, who then signed them to Decca and changed their name to the Attack.

Their debut single released in January 1967 was an extremely anglicized cover of "Try It," an American hit for both the Standells and Ohio Express, whose versions were exemplar of the sneering garage sound. However, the Attack's powerful vocals, pop art guitar, and the underbelly of a warm Hammond created a similar atmosphere to the Small Faces (also managed by Don Arden), the Birds, and the Creation. Shortly after the single was released, Davy O'List was handpicked by Andrew Loog Oldham to join the Nice (who were to act as the backup group for newly acquired American Soul singer P.P. Arnold) and quit the group in late February. Meanwhile, Shirman, a regular visitor to the London clubs had been keeping a watchful eye on a young guitarist he had seen jamming with Jimmy Page. Shortly thereafter John Du Cann (mainstay, and songwriter) was introduced into the group. As a follow-up to "Try It," a version of "Hi-Ho Silver Lining" was then released, but Jeff Beck got the hit first in Britain in 1967. The third 45, "Created By Clive"/"Colour of My Mind," backed a foppish sub-Kinks-style number with a fairly groovy mod-psych tune penned by DuCann. Kenny Harold (bass) and Geoff Richardson (guitar) left shortly after the disappointment of "Created By Clive," leaving John as the only guitarist. Jim Avery (who later went on to the revolutionary Third World War) was drafted in on bass, with Plug (whom later went on to Welsh acid rock outfit Man) still on drums. After yet even more disappointment surrounding the "Magic in the Air" single (Decca refused its release on the grounds of it being too heavy), Plug and Jim Avery left the ranks to be replaced by Roger Deane (bass) and Keith Hodge (drums).

The final single, released in early 1968, was "Neville Thumbcatch," a fruity mod-pop tune with spoken narration, like a lesser counterpart to Cream's "Pressed Rat and Warthog." Decca's deal with the Attack expired after that single, with a projected fifth 45, "Freedom for You"/"Feel Like Flying," remaining unreleased. Both sides of that single, as well as seven Attack demos recorded around that time, are included on Angel Air's CD reissue of the rare 1968 album by the Five Day Week Straw People, a studio-only outfit that was led by DuCann. There is also a compilation of the Attack's post-Decca sides entitled Final Dayze, featuring these tracks and more unreleased material (also on Angel Air). Before Decca (who wanted to keep the Attack as a pop act) parted with the group over the continued heavy nature of their newer material, the group had already entered the studio and begun work on the Roman Gods of War album. Both the artwork and a number of songs were completed, but unfortunately the label recorded over the tapes and lost the photos after they dropped the group. DuCann became the dominant creative force in the group prior to their 1968 breakup, and the likes of the unreleased "Mr. Pinnodmy's Dilemma" and "Strange House" showed the group developing a heavier rock sound, although still maintaining a sense of British mod-psych whimsy. DuCann would continue to explore a heavier direction with his subsequent group Andromeda, and joined Atomic Rooster in the '70s.

Strange House - The Attack

Anymore Than I Do - The Attack

Colour Of My Mind - The Attack

Mr. Pinnodmy's Dilema - The Attack

Feel Like Flying - The Attack

(Sorry for the annoying videos, some pot-head that made 'em I guess..).

I recomend checking out these compilations:

h59049xinzr.jpg

f29316r9k0d.jpg

They may not be totally forgotten, as Savoy Brown is still around, but certainly Kim Simmons has to rank as maybe the most underated guitar player of his generation

The country bues men and women like Son House, Howling Wolf, Memphis Minnie. Seriously, they are as good as Robert Johnson who got all the fame and myths, but they died poor and where soon forgotten. Praise these blues compilations the sell in second hand record shops for a few bucks!

Someone mentioned Manfred Mann's Earth Band. Hell, Solar Fire is THE space rock album!

Hi there!

In the last days, I just registred how much great music is forgotten, how much great musicians never had the success they deserved and how much music is worth to be heard.

My favourite forgotten treasure is "Victor", a Rock opera by Rigoni/Schönherz recorded in the mid seventies. It tells the story of the son of a clown, who hates the circus, rambles around in the whole world and gets enlightened at the end.

The music is a mixture of classic hard rock with a breath-taking guitar and a roaring hammond organ, and orchestral passages.

It is just amazing and as good as every rock opera around.

What are your favourite forgotten treasures?

How's it going "lucyinthesky" with diamonds? I do owe you a big thanks because if it wouldn't have been for you and this thread, I would have never done a thread on THE OSMONDS. A BIG THANK YOU! ROCK ON!

The country bues men and women like Son House, Howling Wolf, Memphis Minnie. Seriously, they are as good as Robert Johnson who got all the fame and myths, but they died poor and where soon forgotten. Praise these blues compilations the sell in second hand record shops for a few bucks!

Someone mentioned Manfred Mann's Earth Band. Hell, Solar Fire is THE space rock album!

Incidentally I have just favorited John The Revelator (Son House) and Moanin' At Midnight (Howling Wolf) videos @ Youtube about 2 days ago - kind of a nostalgic step as my first peak of interest in blues actually predated my interest in Led Zeppelin. Yes these bluesmen certainly deserve more recognition... Thanks for mentioning them.

How's it going "lucyinthesky" with diamonds? I do owe you a big thanks because if it wouldn't have been for you and this thread, I would have never done a thread on THE OSMONDS. A BIG THANK YOU! ROCK ON!

Hey, you're welcome man! :D

Another forgotten thing (at least where I live) THE NICE.

Keith Emersons first famous band. A bassist who bowed his bass to make it sound like a cello, classical with 60 rock, and the unbelievable Emerson.

Any Emerson fans out here???

• 9 months later...
November - Swedish progg/hard rock band. I think they were big in Sweden, not sure elsewhere, Swede might know.

Yes, they career was short but they got very popular in Sweden, but is even more popular these days and has reached some sort of cult status among today's fans. They made three albums, all of them just as great I think. Personally, I really like their third and last album, 6:e November.

If you would like to check out some other classic Swedish bands, be sure to check out Mecki Mark Men too. They did three great albums in the early 70's, as well.

Their first album is quite psychedelic, while the other two albums is a bit heavier. Unfortunatly I couldn't find much on youtube, only one track from the debut and a couple of late 70's videos which isn't as great as the early stuff. They reunited a couple of years ago, but I have no idea if there is any other original members then Mecki Bodemark (vocals and hammond organ).

Free (1968, from the debut album)

Mecki Mark Men

643.jpg

Running in the Summer Night

i69820css6w.jpg

Marathon!

m15209hw3ys.jpg

Some info I found at this blogg: http://ezhevika.blogspot.com/2006/03/mecki...mmer-night.html

Lead by keyboardist and vocalist Mecki Bodemark, MECKI MARK MEN are considered one of the first big Swedish psychedlic acts. They released an eponymous album in 1968 but soon after, Bodemark went his own way and teemed up with a threesome called the BABY GRANDMOTHERS to form MECKI MARK MEN. In 1968, they were the supporting act for FRANK ZAPPA AND THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION at Stockholm’s Concert House, as well as for JIMI HENDRIX during his Swedish tour. In 1969, they released a second album called “Running in the Summer Night”, made TV appearances and were part of the Swedish cast of the popular musical “Hair”. The following year, they went on a U.S. tour and played at rock festivals headlining The BYRDS, SLY & THE FAMILY STONE and JETHRO TULL among others. However, the tour ended up in chaos. They had stayed there for 3 months yet their visas were only valid for 6 weeks; they were also stuck in a hotel room they couldn’t afford. So they made a deal with their manager, returned home and paid their debts by recording a third album (“Marathon”). They then broke up, with most of the cast soon resurfacing as KEBNEKAISE. They released a fourth album in 1979 under their original name, where Mecki Bodemark features as the only original member.Typical of 60’s psych and R&B, their music resembles that of JIMI HENDRIX, IRON BUTTERFLY and VANILLA FUDGE: trippy, brain melting distorted lead guitar with plenty of fuzz and wah-wah, and lots of wasted, stoned out vocals from Bodemark who, btw, does the same things with his formidable Hammond organ as Hendrix with his guitar. Their better release is perhaps “Running in the Summer Night”, an album of heavy acid space rock where everyone is at his best, particularly Bodemark and guitar wizard Kenny Häkansson. Lise (HIBOU), CANADA

Archived