Forgotten treasures

lucyinthesky

Yes, they career was short but they got very popular in Sweden, but is even more popular these days and has reached some sort of cult status among today's fans. They made three albums, all of them just as great I think. Personally, I really like their third and last album, 6:e November.

If you would like to check out some other classic Swedish bands, be sure to check out Mecki Mark Men too. They did three great albums in the early 70's, as well.

Their first album is quite psychedelic, while the other two albums is a bit heavier. Unfortunatly I couldn't find much on youtube, only one track from the debut and a couple of late 70's videos which isn't as great as the early stuff. They reunited a couple of years ago, but I have no idea if there is any other original members then Mecki Bodemark (vocals and hammond organ).

Free (1968, from the debut album)

Some info I found at this blogg: http://ezhevika.blogspot.com/2006/03/mecki...mmer-night.html

Are they reunited (November)? On their myspace, they have played some gigs this year but I think it's unsure.

The youtube video and description of the Mecki Mark Men sound interesting and good, will have to check them out more.

BTW, not sure if you have heard of Råg I Ryggen, Stockholm band as they only released one album but it's quite good.

Queen of Darkness (from first and only album)

This and November are the only Swedish 60/70's rock bands Iv'e listened to, making up for the ABBA stuff, LOL. :D

Are they reunited (November)? On their myspace, they have played some gigs this year but I think it's unsure.

The youtube video and description of the Mecki Mark Men sound interesting and good, will have to check them out more.

BTW, not sure if you have heard of Råg I Ryggen, Stockholm band as they only released one album but it's quite good.

Queen of Darkness (from first and only album)

This and November are the only Swedish 60/70's rock bands Iv'e listened to, making up for the ABBA stuff, LOL. :D

Yes, they have made a couple of gigs the last few years, but I don't know if they still are together.

I can't recall I ever heard Råg i Ryggen, but the tune you linked to sounds great. During the early 70's there were a lot of prog-rock bands in Sweden and they had a huge following. Very popular kind of music. When Mecki Mark Men disbanded, guitarist Kenny Håkansson and some other member, formed a band called Kebnekajse. They mostly played instrumental jams which built on Swedish folk music. Kenny is still highly regarded as a guitarist.

Well worth checking out is Hansson & Karlsson too. Jimi Hendrix used to jam with them whenever he were in Stockholm and he also recorded their song Tax Free. They recorded three albums which all of them are great. Janne Karlsson was a great drummer and was often hired as a session musician.

Tax Free - Hansson & Karlsson (1968)

Tax Free - Jimi Hendrix

Yes, they have made a couple of gigs the last few years, but I don't know if they still are together.

I can't recall I ever heard Råg i Ryggen, but the tune you linked to sounds great. During the early 70's there were a lot of prog-rock bands in Sweden and they had a huge following. Very popular kind of music. When Mecki Mark Men disbanded, guitarist Kenny Håkansson and some other member, formed a band called Kebnekajse. They mostly played instrumental jams which built on Swedish folk music. Kenny is still highly regarded as a guitarist.

Well worth checking out is Hansson & Karlsson too. Jimi Hendrix used to jam with them whenever he were in Stockholm and he also recorded their song Tax Free. They recorded three albums which all of them are great. Janne Karlsson was a great drummer and was often hired as a session musician.

Tax Free - Hansson & Karlsson (1968)

Tax Free - Jimi Hendrix

Both bands sound good on those songs you linked to. I never knew "Tax Free" was a cover song. Both versions are really cool. I will check them out more.

BTW, what do you think of this list by a user on RYM, looks like the guy knows his Swedish progg/folk/psych. Will use it as reference.

Both bands sound good on those songs you linked to. I never knew "Tax Free" was a cover song. Both versions are really cool. I will check them out more.

BTW, what do you think of this list by a user on RYM, looks like the guy knows his Swedish progg/folk/psych. Will use it as reference.

Nice list, probably a swedish guy/girl who have listed those bands. Some of it is really obscure and hard to find records. Lots of different sounds, both heavy prog rock and folk pop.

Nice list, probably a swedish guy/girl who have listed those bands. Some of it is really obscure and hard to find records. Lots of different sounds, both heavy prog rock and folk pop.

The November records are pretty hard to find as well, I only have them on CD but it would be better if I had them on vinyl. I have seen the albums go pretty high on ebay, maybe I'll find 'em at a reasonable price.

The November records are pretty hard to find as well, I only have them on CD but it would be better if I had them on vinyl. I have seen the albums go pretty high on ebay, maybe I'll find 'em at a reasonable price.

Yes, they are quite expensive, especially if the condition is great.

Gary Farr

Gary Farr was best known for his work with the T-Bones, beginning in the early '60s and extending well into the '80s. He was born to British heavyweight boxing champion Tommy Farr, and grew up with a love of folk and blues music. He began to play in pubs and clubs around Sussex, until he finally put the T-Bones together. The lineup changed continually, including a short stint from keyboardist Keith Emerson, and even scored the spot as the resident band at London's Crawdaddy Club after the Yardbirds left it. The band was a live sensation, but in its long existence it never quite broke out of the underground and eventually disbanded in the late '80s. ~ Bradley Torreano, All Music Guide

Archived