TO THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!

cryingbluerain

TO THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up and how they walked twenty-five miles to school every morning , uphill and barefoot no less. Both ways!!

Yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that I just can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.

You’ve got it so easy! I mean, compared to even my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia! And I hate to say it but you kids today don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter, with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there! That’s if you got lucky and it arrived on time!!

There were no MP3' s or Napsters! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself! Or you had to wait around all day to tape your favorite music off the radio and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and end and screw it all up!

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it! We didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your Bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances!!!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had Remco playstations made from plastic that only used your imagination that my dad left us and it did absolutely nothing! Later on we finally had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! Once again you actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen forever! And you could never win,never! The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on TV! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your arse and walk over to the TV to change the channel because even if your family was rich enough to afford a remote TV who could ever find it. Besides it would break in a month!!

And there was no Cartoon Network either!

You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning!! Do you hear what I'm saying?!! We had to wait all week for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bast-rds! And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove or oven ... Imagine that! Sometimes we even used a sunny window to defrost!!

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled!!

You guys wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes back in 1970!

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:

In them days we was glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:

A cup o' cold tea.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:

Without milk or sugar.

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:

Or tea.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:

In a cracked cup, an' all.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:

Oh, we never had a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:

The best we could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:

But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:

Because we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness, son".

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:

Aye, 'e was right.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:

Aye, 'e was.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:

I was happier then and I had nothin'. We used to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:

House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:

Eh, you were lucky to have a room! We used to have to live in t' corridor!

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:

Oh, we used to dream of livin' in a corridor! Would ha' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House? Huh.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:

Well, when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpaulin, but it was a house to us.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:

We were evicted from our 'ole in the ground; we 'ad to go and live in a lake.

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:

You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:

Cardboard box?

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:

Aye.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:

You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:

Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:

Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:

Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:

And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

ALL:

They won't!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up and how they walked twenty-five miles to school every morning , uphill and barefoot no less. Both ways!!

Yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

You’ve got it so easy! I mean, compared to even my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia! And I hate to say it but you kids today don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter, with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there! That’s if you got lucky and it arrived on time!!

There were no MP3' s or Napsters! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself! Or you had to wait around all day to tape your favorite music off the radio and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and end and screw it all up!

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it! We didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your Bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances!!!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had Remco playstations made from plastic that only used your imagination that my dad left us and it did absolutely nothing! Later on we finally had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! Once again you actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen forever! And you could never win,never! The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on TV! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your arse and walk over to the TV to change the channel because even if your family was rich enough to afford a remote TV who could ever find it. Besides it would break in a month!!

You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning!! Do you hear what I'm saying?!! We had to wait all week for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bast-rds! And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove or oven ... Imagine that! Sometimes we even used a sunny window to defrost!!

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled!!

Er, under-30's of today have it easy because of technology? Is that what your gripe is about, as you sit typing over the internet? I suppose the under-30's of 1970 had it easy compared to the previous generation, the gramophone was old school by then, you know...

I don't know about you, but I still write letters - in fact, I had to pick one up from my doctor so I can send it off - via Royal Mail - somewhere else. No emailing there.

We have mp3's in the same way that the 1990's had portable CD player's, the '80's had tape players, etc. I'm sure everyone marvelled when the tape player was first introduced.

And when the phone rings I still have no idea who it is. Perhaps, to keep the surprise, you should change your phone?

Maybe there are some under-30's out there that haven't had it so easy - no matter how advanced technology has become. How about being a carer to a parent when you're around 8 years old? How about having a breakdown at 17? I'm sure that was a walk in the park...

And I can guarantee you I would've lasted 5 minutes, and then some, back in the'70's. I have a record player, clothes from literally that time era, I read books more than I sleep, and until maybe the late '90's, plenty of us coped without all that shit. It just so happens that some of us can cope even better - especially the over-30's.

Maybe if you didn't let so many of these evils into your life you'd feel alot better...

Life wasn't harder back then because as kids we didn't miss the things we never had.

The things we have today don't really make life an easier or better, just different.

I have satellite TV with 200 TV channels and I still can't find anything to watch, just the same as when I had 5 channels on the normal old TV...

The only thing that's changed from when I was a kid in the 80's to now is that all the time I used to spend sitting in front of the TV when I was a kid, I now spend it in front of the computer.

Yadda, yadda, yadda

You had better music so shut the fuck up already.

Hey I am relatively young and I only have three channels and until the recent past had a ROTARY PHONE..I apologize for using technology for a better life... i will now use my time travel device so that I can live with the cave men of the Geico commercials

Yeah --I thinks somebody should teach these Young'n s a lesson :o:lol::D

http://www.knbc.com/news/17597527/detail.html

:blink: oh my focking God! what the hell!? what the HELL?!

anyway, in regards of the topic. maybe you're generalising just a tad there cryingbluerain?

I'm under 30 and I don't like to think myself as spoiled.

I don't have internet at home (as of yet) and mainly use the computer at work. or AT THE LIBRARY. ta-dah, I actually go to the library several times a week. 1) cause I love reading 2) cause the Internet isn't always a very reliable source.

I still write letters. but I also use email, depending on the situation. I love sending letters and small packages around. mainly to my friends abroad but also to my sis and friends here.

but sometimes email is handier.. like when you need to get a reply relatively quickly and also, let's face it, it's cheaper than proper letters and money doesn't grow in trees for all of us.

I don't have an mp3 player. I have been thinking of getting one though but we'll see. I do have a portable CD player as well as a stay-at-home one. :D I like buying CDs, the whole package. I appreciate the work that's gone into designing it and everything. I guess I'd listen to records (LPs that is) too if I had a record player but they're kinda expensive.

Call Waiting is handy and I do use it. mainly due to the fact that I get calls from work from our junior employees asking for advice.

and I nearly always answer my phone, even if I don't recognise the number. quite frankly, I don't understand people who don't.. :huh: if it's a telemarketer or something, just say "no thanks" and hang up. what's so damn difficult? lol. you never know if a number you don't recognise might be a hospital or something actually important..

I don't have a TV. I mean, I do have a television set but no channels. when I moved to my own flat I decided I'd gotten enough of crappy TV so I now only ever watch movies and other DVDs. (comes with the line of work I'm in too. :D)

I don't have a microwave either. :lol:

I like to think I would've lasted pretty well in the 70s.

I agree that many many many kids/young adults today are spoiled. (and I'm sure many of the under-30 crowd in the 70s were too ;).) but please, please don't generalise.

WTF? Contradictory much?

You're griping and complaining about us having it easier than you? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Is it our fault that technology has advanced? No. Don't call us spoiled bastards because of the mere fact that we were born later than you. You should know that all of the "under 30s" on this forum wish badly that they were around in the 60s and 70s.

The young ones coming out of the woodwork here espousing the values and conditions of a generation past are of a different crowd than most of their generation. This is a Led Zepplein board, from the 70s, so many come from that "mindset" and hold onto some of the old ways.

Go to a more modern band site and you'll more than likely, I guarantee it, find a crowd that embraces more of the modern stylings of their generation.

I'd like to see a survey of under 30 fans on this Zeppelin board, compared for instance, to one from an Arctic Monkeys site for instance.

How about us who turn away at technology every chance we get? True, I'm typing this over the internet, so I'll point out that little bit of hypocracy you seemed to miss about yourself. But what about those kids who distain television, cell phones, Ipods? What about those kids who sit around, reading and painting, playing with their cat? Who find things like Xboxes and playstation 3s or 4s to be overwhelming?

Also, cactus... thanks so much for that ! I haven't seen that skit for ever :)

you old geezers had it better than us growing up in ways, though too. You could buy beer at the age of 18, there was a lot more recreational drug use, the music was waaay better, and you could go to school without the fear of being shot. You didn't have to worry about AIDS, either...

I'm part of the under 30 crowd, but I'm not as lucky as you'd like to think.

Sure, I have internet access for my reports, and the computer to type with instead of a typewriter. But guess what? I use books to do my papers. I have a cell phone, but I hardly use it. Iwill talk to people who text me or call, but I almost never text or call first.

If you want to talk television, I watch VH1 Classic Rock, and TVLand. If I want to watch a good show I dig out the VHS copies of The Monkees, or the Beatles movies. I have cable in my room at my mom's and my dad's. I rarely ever use it, I have a DVD in both rooms too. Want to know what I watch on those DVD players? The Song Remians The Same, Led Zeppelin DVD, Alice's Restaurant, etc.

Something else, you had the oppurtunity to see AMAZING bands in concert. All I have is those DVD's. No stories to tell. Other had the ability to go see TSRTS or Rocky Horror in theaters. I didn't. None of your friends thought it was weird that you had a turntable. Mine do. Rap music didn't even exsist, but my generation can't believe there was a time that it didn't exsist.

The generations of the 60s and 70s were filled with well read people, not my generation. They hate to read and think. Taht's why the world is coming to where it is.

So you think I have it better off than you did, but you had experiences I'd kill for. You could go out and play without worry of things like kidnapping. I deal with that all the time.

I have approx. 300 channels, you had 3. You had intellegent people, I have a machine that I can hardly work. I will give you all the extra technology that I have if I can have all the things you ahd growing up.

Edited to say: I don't play video games, and I'll take my vinyl over your illegal mp3s any day.

I could buy beer since I was 18, there was lots of recreational drug use in the town I grew up, and there was no fear of being shot whatsoever. And I was told only floosies need to worry about AIDS. GO ME!

Whatever. I don't wanna hear about yer wacky Canadian laws! :P

One thing that I've noticed as a 40-something is how unbelievably much more productive we are now with technology. Everything is immediate now. It's interesting to have been a working adult both then and now; because we remember how it was before, and had to learn all this technology as it came out. (I wrote my papers on a manual typewriter in college in the early/mid 80s).

I did have a computer at my first job (pretty much the entire floor shared one PC), but we had dual floppy drives, a dot matrix printer with continuous feed paper and no mouse (no Microsoft either) :) Fax machines, with the rolls of slick paper, were the hip new office technology then! We Telex'ed, rather than emailed, and had usenet groups :) I never really did understand that technology, but I could get where I needed to go.

(~Bonnie~ @ Oct 3 2008, 05:49 PM) post_snapback.gifWhatever. I don't wanna hear about yer wacky Canadian laws! :P

Same way down yonder! :P

One thing that I've noticed as a 40-something is how unbelievably much more productive we are now with technology. Everything is immediate now. It's interesting to have been a working adult both then and now; because we remember how it was before, and had to learn all this technology as it came out. (I wrote my papers on a manual typewriter in college in the early/mid 80s).

I did have a computer at my first job (pretty much the entire floor shared one PC), but we had dual floppy drives, a dot matrix printer with continuous feed paper and no mouse (no Microsoft either) :) Fax machines, with the rolls of slick paper, were the hip new office technology then! We Telex'ed, rather than emailed, and had usenet groups :) I never really did understand that technology, but I could get where I needed to go.

Hahaha, caught myself standing in front of the microwave thinking "Com'on Com'on!" :lol:

I think we're all spoiled compared to the most "senior" generation living today. I'm REALLY glad I never had to face anything like the Great Depression or live through World War II. I can't imagine living with the threat of German invasion, especially as a person with Jewish ancestry. I'm really thankful for the sacrifices people like my grandpa and my great uncle made so I can be safe in my home today with my modern technology. Yeah, I'm spoiled, but don't think I take it for granted.

You guys definitely had it harder with Vietnam, though. If I was a baby boomer and was going to argue that I had it worse, that would be my example, not modern technology. Sure, I like using the Internet to talk to people from all over the world, and it's nice to have a cell phone in case of emergency, and iPods are rather convenient, but they're nothing I couldn't live without.

Archived