Ryan Adams

ledzep45

I liked Whiskeytown well enough, though not as much as hype that once surrounded them had others gushing. As much promise as he once showed I think he fell prey to image making. After a while I got the impression how others viewed him, he tried very hard to present himself as the the doped up tortured artist, was more important than making good music and he paid the price with uneven songwriting. Personally I think all the "next Gram Parsons" talk went to his head.

Even though I wasn't all that impressed with his last couple of records I'm glad to see him back making music again. Apparently the set he played over the weekend included a few new songs. Not sure if they have surfaced on YouTube yet or not. I also have to say Mandy Moore does an outstanding job on backing vox here.

More info on the show:

Setlist

Ashes & Fire (new)

Dirty Rain (new)

Shining Thru The Dark (new )

Oh my Sweet Carolina

Ryan Adams acoustic guitar, vocals, harmonica

Mandy Moore backing vocals

Marshall Vore drums

Sebastian Steinberg double bass

Jamie Candiloro piano, acoustic guitar

One thing for sure he puts on a great show when he is "on". Caught him right after Gold on a solo tour, just RA with guitar and piano and it was among the best shows I've ever seen. Thankfully nobody at that show decided to do the "Summer Of '69" thing.

One thing for sure he puts on a great show when he is "on". Caught him right after Gold on a solo tour, just RA with guitar and piano and it was among the best shows I've ever seen. Thankfully nobody at that show decided to do the "Summer Of '69" thing.

I feel very fortunate to have seen a couple of early acoustic solo shows myself, both at The Brewery in Raleigh (now a metal/hardcore club). The first was with Chip Robinson (ex-Backsliders), Kenny Roby (ex-Six String Drag) and special guest Caitlin Cary. They each performed separate sets (with Caitlin sitting in on a few songs with both Kenny and Ryan) and then jammed together at the end. The second solo show was around the time of Heartbreaker but in addition to those songs he also did a lot of then "new" stuff that still hasn't appeared on an album such as Statuettes With Wounds. Both shows were great but the second one I mentioned is probably the best Ryan show I've ever seen. There was just something in the air that night, it even inspired someone to write this on the chalkboard outside of the men's room at The Brewery during the show: "Ryan Adams writes songs like some people breathe".

Ryan's Pax American label site has launched. Actually, I think the site has been around for a while but now it's been updated. Well, sorta. It's design was used on Ryan's old site during his time with the Cardinals. Which brings me to this next bit of news. A few months back he promised some previously unreleased Cardinals era material in the form of two new albums, III & V. It appears he's made good on that promise:

RA_34_LP_Product_Shot22.jpg

39541_453776531430_6943041430_6127115_2107061_n.jpg

RA_3_Cvr_5-500x500.jpg

RA_4_Cvr_5-500x500.jpg

SIDE A

Breakdown Into The Resolve

Dear Candy

Wasteland

Ultraviolet Light

Stop Playing With My Heart

SIDE B

Lovely And Blue

Happy Birthday

Kisses Start Wars

The Crystal Skull

Users

SIDE C

No

Numbers

Gracie

Icebreaker

Sewers at the Bottom of the Wishing Well

SIDE D

Typecast

Star Wars

My Favorite Song

P.S.

Death And Rats

Kill The Lights

• 4 months later...

New tour dates as reported here.

June

10 Stockholm, Sweden, Cirkus

11 Oslo, Norway, Folketeatret

13 Malmö, Sweden, The Consert House

14 Copenhagen, Denmark Koncerhauset

16 Lisbon, Portugal, Aula Magna

17 Porto, Portugal Teatro, Sa Da Bandeira

20 London, UK, Barbican

22 Brighton, UK, Dome

23 Manchester, UK, Bridgewater Hall

25 Glasgow, UK, Academy

26 Oxford, UK, Oxford New Theatre

28 Amsterdam, Holland, Concertgebouw

Ryan Adams working on new album with Glyn Johns

The Who and Rolling Stones producer working with singer

84_RyanAdams_L270206.jpg

Ryan Adams is working on a new studio album with producer Glyn Johns.

No details about the album beyond the fact that Johns is producing have been revealed yet, with Billboard first reporting the news.

Veteran producer Johns has worked with acts including The Who, The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan before.

Adams' last album release was 2010's 'Cardinals III/IV', which he put out with his band The Cardinals. Before that he released 'Orion', a heavy metal album only released on vinyl.

• 1 month later...

Ryan Adams put in a surprise appearance last night opening for Emmylou Harris at the El Rey theatre in Los Angeles, CA where he played some brand new material and was joined by Emmylou for "Oh, My Sweet Carolina":

• 1 month later...

Cork Opera House

Cork, Ireland

1. Oh My Sweet Carolina

2. Dirty Rain

3. If I Am A Stranger

4. Firecracker

5. New York (on piano)

6. Two

7. Blue Hotel

8. Carolina Rain

9. Crossed Out Name

10. Sylvia Plath (on piano)

11. Dear Chicago

12. Everybody knows

13. Damn Sam, I Love A Woman Who Rains

14. Ashes and Fire

Encore

15. Avenues

16. Let It Ride

17. Withering Heights

18. Desire

19. Please Do Not Let Me Go

I do actually. I really can't say I'm a huge fan but I really liked "Cold Roses". The album Jahfin posted on page three is pretty good too.

Glad to see him back out touring. Hopefully he'll hit the U.S. after this current overseas run. The new stuff is definitely much more to my liking than Cardinology and his metal homages.

• 3 weeks later...

New single Ryan is selling only at shows on his current European tour:

ryan-adams-empty-room-nutshell-signed-vinyl-hobbsy-600x600.jpg

Side A "Empty Room"

Written by Ryan Adams

Published by Barland Music / Bug Music (ASCAP)

Produced by Jamie Candiloro and Ryan Adams

Assistant Engineer: Jason Donaghy

Recorded at Perfect Sound, Hollywood California

Acoustic, electric guitar, vocals: Ryan Adams

Vocals: Amanda Moore

Bass: Sebastian Steinberg

Acoustic Guitar, vocals: Chris Stills

Pedal steel: Marty Rifkin

Piano, Organ: Rami Jaffee

Drums: Marshall Vore

Side B "Nutshell"

Written by Jerry Cantrell, Michael Inez, Sean Kinney, and Layne Staley

Published by Lungclam Music, Michael Inez Music, Nancylayneco LLC, and Shylo Viola

Publishing (ASCAP)

Produced by Ryan

Recorded and engineered by John Gilbertson and Ryan at Kyle’s Old Room Studios

Mixed by Ryan

All instruments played by Ryan

Photos by Ryan

Design by Andy West

PAX-AM 010

Barcode: 8 51007 00303 3

• 4 weeks later...

According to Q Magazine, Ryan Adams will have a new album out this Fall called Ashes and Fire. Song titles include: Dirty Rain, Kindness, Till I Found You, Lucky Now. Produced by Glyn Johns and features Norah Jones and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' organist Benmont Tench. A tour of the UK is also apparently in the works for the Fall.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived