THE OSMONDS THREAD

ZeppFanForever

I don't think I'd have wanted Zeppelin to have their own variety show on TV. In fact I know I wouldn't! :D

Oh, and I'd forgotten Puppy Love. The stuff I missed out on WAS better than that, right??!

They rarely did any TV let alone their own show. They had more credibility than that.

I don't think the problem was that they were Mormons so much as that they seemed a plastic, packaged Vegas-type act. With large teeth. And then Little Jimmy and that Long-Haired Lover song didn't help. But I freely admit that I therefore didn't listen to their music, so if I come across any of the albums you mentioned, I'll certainly check them out.

I dont think anyone knew they were -mormons back then. Wasnt that years later until that was even brought up, when the celeb thing was way over?

I used to watch the Osmonds show, but I can't remember whether I had an album or not. I definitely had the Jackson 5, the Partridge Family, the Bay City Rollers and Shaun Cassidy :bagoverhead: And maybe Leif Garrett... :unsure:

Shaun Cassidy :wub::ph34r: Yup, used to lurrve him :lol: I never really got into Donny Osmond's music but I did meet him once and he kissed me on the cheek :D

I just googled Osmonds discography to see if it would help me remember. The 1970 "Osmonds" album is a possibility because I do remember One Bad Apple and Sweet and Innocent. If it also had Puppy Love, we may have a winner. But I was only 5 in 1970, so I truly don't remember for sure. :(

Hi again "Virginia?" I'm sorry, you were so young in 1970. However, you will have an easier time finding THE OSMONDS on CD now that their catalog is now being re-issued on CD for the first time. Now everyone will be able to buy the albums that I mentioned (Two albums on one CD) and judge for themselves if THE OSMONDS are for real. I was looking through their videos on the internet and I found pretty much every popular song THE OSMONDS ever recorded including "Crazy Horses." However, what I DIDN'T find was their other Hard Rock songs on video. Why, because THE OSMONDS are not recognized as a Hard Rock band. That is sad because THE OSMONDS truly kicked ass. Thanks for your comment "Virginia" and ROCK ON!

Never was into the Osmonds, but I did watch the Donny & Marie Show in the 70s. I even had a "Donny & Marie" microphone that when you tuned into a certain AM radio frequency, your voice would come out over the speakers.

Now I did like the Partridge Family- especially David Cassidy! I was very disappointed to find out that they only sang on their albums & the instruments were played by session musicians instead of them like they did on the show. And their psychedelic bus was so cool!

What's up "Stargroves Tangie?" I would like to encourage you to check out the early OSMONDS' songs and albums from the early 1970's as I mentioned on my opening thread. I truly believe that you would be extremely surprised.

Now in regards to The Partridge Family, I LOVE THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY just like I LOVE THE MONKEES. I always had a crush on Susan Dey, she was so beautiful and petite. David Cassidy was also voted as one of the all-time greatest Teen Idols ever. Who would have ever believed that Danny Bonaduce would grow up and become one of the craziest motherf*c*ers ever. I love that psychedelic bus, I would have loved to cruise around the L.A. area on that bus while dropping acid. (Ha Ha!) There have been movies made on THE MONKEES, THE OSMONDS, THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY and DAVID CASSIDY, have you seen any of these movies? ROCK ON!

I don't think the problem was that they were Mormons so much as that they seemed a plastic, packaged Vegas-type act. With large teeth. And then Little Jimmy and that Long-Haired Lover song didn't help. But I freely admit that I therefore didn't listen to their music, so if I come across any of the albums you mentioned, I'll certainly check them out.

Thank you for your comments "Aquamarine," THE OSMONDS' large white teeth was extremely rare and unique while in their prime. THE OSMONDS would forever be known as a Bubble Gum band which would overlook their incredible talents as a Hard Rock band. THE OSMONDS were never taken seriously as a Hard Rock band and that's sad. ROCK ON!

I dont think anyone knew they were -mormons back then. Wasnt that years later until that was even brought up, when the celeb thing was way over?

It was mentioned somewhere before they had the tv show, cuz I knew it at the time in the early 70s. I think one of their albums (that I didn't have) was done in lieu of the more traditional 'mission' thing.

I remember liking them waaay back in the very early 70s... I was 11 or 12... had a couple albums and even saw their concert once. Pretty soon after that, I moved on to other groups/bands and never really looked back. I saw the tv show a few times but... *shrugs*. It wasn't anything I set out to watch. I've never considered them to really be "rock" or, as suggested by the threadstarter, "hard rock".

I was pleasantly surprised by the song in Mulan...

~~

... and Aqua, I agree... I can't quite see Zep ever doing some variety show. It kinda boggles the mind.

I don't think I'd have wanted Zeppelin to have their own variety show on TV. In fact I know I wouldn't! :D

Oh, and I'd forgotten Puppy Love. The stuff I missed out on WAS better than that, right??!

What's up again "Aquamarine?" Thinking about it now, LED ZEPPELIN'S music would have been too wild for TV. Can you imagine Robert Plant singing and having an orgasm on TV during the mid section of "Whole Lotta Love?"

In my opinion, The Hard Rock stuff you missed out on and never heard is definitely better sounding than their Bubble Gum music. THE OSMONDS would even admit that since the band wanted to get away from Bubble Gum music and record Hard Rock music especially since the band members were getting older while growing and maturing further musically. I guarantee you that you will be surprised. ROCK ON!

They rarely did any TV let alone their own show. They had more credibility than that.

How's it going "SuperDave?" In reality, LED ZEPPELIN'S Hard Rock music was too wild to show and hear on prime time TV. Remember what happened with DEEP PURPLE at the California Jam in 1974? ABC televised it and the concert ended in disaster thanks to Ritchie Blackmore blowing up his amplifiers without ABC's permission resulting in lighting up a very healthy fire on stage. Think about what the TV audience thought about that disaster in 1974. ROCK ON!

It was mentioned somewhere before they had the tv show, cuz I knew it at the time in the early 70s. I think one of their albums (that I didn't have) was done in lieu of the more traditional 'mission' thing.

I remember liking them waaay back in the very early 70s... I was 11 or 12... had a couple albums and even saw their concert once. Pretty soon after that, I moved on to other groups/bands and never really looked back. I saw the tv show a few times but... *shrugs*. It wasn't anything I set out to watch. I've never considered them to really be "rock" or, as suggested by the threadstarter, "hard rock".

I was pleasantly surprised by the song in Mulan...

~~

... and Aqua, I agree... I can't quite see Zep ever doing some variety show. It kinda boggles the mind.

But you dont remember the mention as a kid, did ya? i was right behind you as a kid then....remember my parents watching -elvis live on tv and tuning in the fm broadcast. that was a big deal! and very enjoyable with the rattling loud plastic panasonic speakers.

How's it going "middlezep?" There was always two things that I respected and admired about THE OSMONDS. First, and even in their earlier career in the early 1960's, the band NEVER denied their Mormon faith. Secondly, THE OSMONDS always put their family first. That is extremely unique for a family band trying to make it in a rough partying Rock n' Roll world. ROCK ON!

Shaun Cassidy :wub::ph34r: Yup, used to lurrve him :lol: I never really got into Donny Osmond's music but I did meet him once and he kissed me on the cheek :D

How's it going with you "ninelives?" Shaun Cassidy, forgive me for forgetting about him. David and Shaun's father, the late great actor Jack Cassidy, never acknowledged David or Shaun as legitimate singers and thats sad. David, as well as Shaun, were very talented singers. I remember when Shaun Cassidy once starred in a 1970's TV show called The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries with Parker Stevenson.

I bet thinking about it now that you felt priviledged just to be in the same room with Donny Osmond let alone get a kiss on the cheek from Donny himself. I encourage you to check out THE OSMONDS' as well as DONNY'S music, you may be surprised as to what you hear. ROCK ON!

How's it going "middlezep?" There was always two things that I respected and admired about THE OSMONDS. First, and even in their earlier career in the early 1960's, the band NEVER denied their Mormon faith. Secondly, THE OSMONDS always put their family first. That is extremely unique for a family band trying to make it in a rough partying Rock n' Roll world. ROCK ON!

i just remember the tv show as a kid.

the religion was an afterthought...never registered till years and years later.

i just remember the tv show as a kid.

the religion was an afterthought...never registered till years and years later.

Hi again "middlezep?" Their mormon faith never slowed the band down from being the worldwide success that they became as an early 1970's Rock band. Despite being of Mormon faith, THE OSMONDS acted just like an ordinary family that put family first. Nobody would have ever thought that THE OSMONDS were of Mormon faith until they admitted it early in their career. ROCK ON!

I'm sorry ZeppFanForever, the Osmonds might be rock'n'roll LIGHT in their best moments. The songs you mention sounds like a bad cover band trying to do T-Rex left-overs or something. And also, YOU CAN'T HAVE KIDS SINGIN' IN A ROCK'N'ROLL BAND. How rock'n'roll is that?? :huh::D

Please listen to Stay With Me with The Faces and then ask youself again, is The Osmonds a rock'n'roll band?

I'm sorry ZeppFanForever, the Osmonds might be rock'n'roll LIGHT in their best moments. The songs you mention sounds like a bad cover band trying to do T-Rex left-overs or something. And also, YOU CAN'T HAVE KIDS SINGIN' IN A ROCK'N'ROLL BAND. How rock'n'roll is that?? :huh::DPlease listen to Stay With Me with The Faces and then ask youself again, is The Osmonds a rock'n'roll band?

Tell that to Steve Winwood who was playing with the greats like Muddy Waters at the age of 15.

But yeah I get your point. B)

We certainly all knew in the UK. It was the first time I had ever heard of Mormons.

I'm sorry ZeppFanForever, the Osmonds might be rock'n'roll LIGHT in their best moments. The songs you mention sounds like a bad cover band trying to do T-Rex left-overs or something. And also, YOU CAN'T HAVE KIDS SINGIN' IN A ROCK'N'ROLL BAND. How rock'n'roll is that?? :huh::D

Please listen to Stay With Me with The Faces and then ask youself again, is The Osmonds a rock'n'roll band?

What's up "Swede?" Everything you mentioned might be true and THE OSMONDS were aware of it themselves but they still took the risk and had a child singing in a band that was growing and maturing as a Rock band trying to make it in the Rock n' Roll business. Have you ever heard songs such as "Traffic In My Mind," "The Last Days," "Hold Her Tight (Sounds like a sequel to Immigrant Song)" and "Gotta Get Love" to name a few? These songs alone prove the potential that THE OSMONDS could have been a contending Hard Rock band had they continued in that direction and not taken a back seat as engineers, arrangers and producers for the Donny & Marie show for four years.

I have heard "Stay With Me" many times. Hell, I even have many FACES albums on Vinyl and CD. Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood tore up "Stay With Me" with Stewart's rugged voice and Wood's blistering guitar riffs. I love this song! ROCK ON!

What's up "Swede?" Everything you mentioned might be true and THE OSMONDS were aware of it themselves but they still took the risk and had a child singing in a band that was growing and maturing as a Rock band trying to make it in the Rock n' Roll business. Have you ever heard songs such as "Traffic In My Mind," "The Last Days," "Hold Her Tight (Sounds like a sequel to Immigrant Song)" and "Gotta Get Love" to name a few? These songs alone prove the potential that THE OSMONDS could have been a contending Hard Rock band had they continued in that direction and not taken a back seat as engineers, arrangers and producers for the Donny & Marie show for four years.

I have heard "Stay With Me" many times. Hell, I even have many FACES albums on Vinyl and CD. Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood tore up "Stay With Me" with Stewart's rugged voice and Wood's blistering guitar riffs. I love this song! ROCK ON!

Hey there, I'm doin fine! Yes, I have heard the songs you mention. Otherwise I wouldn't have anything to back up my statement with! :D "Hold Her Tight" sounds like "Immitation Song", and a bad one too. :D Now, all this is just IMHO. ;)

I'm really going to have to dig out these Osmonds albums. Because the more I think about it, the harder I find it to believe that they ever did anything that would come under the heading of rock--hard, soft, light or squishy. :huh: They were so bloody wholesome. But I'm not saying I didn't just miss it.

They were definitely known to be Mormons from the beginning in the UK, as Knebby said, in fact that was one of their selling points--what made them different, etc. It was also used as an explanation for why there were so many of them, though I don't remember what the reasoning was, there . . .

Hey there, I'm doin fine! Yes, I have heard the songs you mention. Otherwise I wouldn't have anything to back up my statement with! :D "Hold Her Tight" sounds like "Immitation Song", and a bad one too. :D Now, all this is just IMHO. ;)

Ha ya doin "Swede?" Thanks for your true honesty, that tells me that you tell how you truly feel inside. I like that! But we will always have LED ZEPPELIN huh? ROCK ON my friend!

Archived