The Athiest thread

Suz

I submit to you that gods were invented by man to cope with the fear of death, and that we as a species have moved beyond the need for them. For every awesome religious person I know, there are 10 ignorant douchebags. One need not look past the paper, the evening news, or recorded history (constantly repeating itself) to see what happens when people farm everything out to unseen entities invented in their own image.

I submit to you that gods were invented by man to cope with the fear of death, and that we as a species have moved beyond the need for them. For every awesome religious person I know, there are 10 ignorant douchebags. One need not look past the paper, the evening news, or recorded history (constantly repeating itself) to see what happens when people farm everything out to unseen entities invented in their own image.

You must roll with a rough crowd then

Valid point, i mean iv never put faith is something i couldnt see. So i dunno it a tough subject. But i agree alot of people now a days have no need for god like the older days. Maybe we are happy with the time we get.

I agree: Religion is the worst mass murderer in human's history. I'm constantly switching between believing and not believing (in the moment I've got a non-believing phase).

But I think that religion of any kind also has done great things in art and philosphy and made a lot of people better.

It is like every ideology; it can cause bad and good things.

Edit to say: One thing IS crap: all this blabla about hell and how to get there.

When I was in USA for an exchange, I heard in church that homosexuals and people who don't pay attention while the service, and people believe that!!!

Okay, you got me for the second point...hello satan paid my dues!

I agree: Religion is the worst mass murderer in human's history. I'm constantly switching between believing and not believing (in the moment I've got a non-believing phase).

But I think that religion of any kind also has done great things in art and philosphy and made a lot of people better.

It is like every ideology; it can cause bad and good things.

That first part if disturbingly incorrect. 100% false, period

That first part if disturbingly incorrect. 100% false, period

Sorry, but why?

I think, that most wars from the beginning of time were caused by the simple sentece: they have another god than we have. Just think of the cross knights or a quaida.

But the point is: these people are misusing their reliogion or they misunderstand it!

Just my opinion...

Sorry, but why?
History books can tell you.

I think, that most wars from the beginning of time were caused by the simple sentece: they have another god than we have. Just think of the cross knights or a quaida.

But the point is: these people are misusing their reliogion or they misunderstand it!

Just my opinion...

Most wars are fought over two things: Land and Power. yeah, sometimes it's "religion" but rarely is an entire war literally over who's God is better. Land and Power consistently play, by far, the largest role in wars in our history.

That can`t be true. I picked up Jesus hitch-hiking in west Texas. Sandals and all.

We stopped at McDonalds and scored one hambuger.

At the next rest stop he got out and broke that burger into enough food to feed all the truckers and gay guys in the rest stop.

I let him out at the Texas/Louisiana border and I swear he walk on water across the Sabine River, head for New Orleans to confront a hoo doo witch.

Left me a monkey paw as a token of appreciation for the ride.

That is proof enough for me.

Most wars are fought over two things: Land and Power. yeah, sometimes it's "religion" but rarely is an entire war literally over who's God is better. Land and Power consistently play, by far, the largest role in wars in our history.

Only the worst of the wars are fought because of race or religion... thats the sad part.

i guess the ones i was refering to would be race related, i mean the holocaoust was really bad and that was done to a whole race, i guess your right there is a difference. But i mean back in the olden days a mans faith was highly regarded i mena if you didnt hold god to the highest you were shunned unless you were another major religion. But i could still see wars being faught because of ones faith being less the the other they might have seen them as an unworthy apponenet not having "God" on their Side.

Judaism is a religion.

We have a president so incomprehensibly stupid that he used the word "Crusades," thereby making our response to a holy war a holy war itself. And he was backed up by people who were also so incomprehensibly stupid that they bought it. The greatest nation in the world has been put to shame.

i guess the ones i was refering to would be race related, i mean the holocaoust was really bad and that was done to a whole race, i guess your right there is a difference. But i mean back in the olden days a mans faith was highly regarded i mena if you didnt hold god to the highest you were shunned unless you were another major religion. But i could still see wars being faught because of ones faith being less the the other they might have seen them as an unworthy apponenet not having "God" on their Side.

The Holocaust is the anti-argument to "religion is the single biggest mass-murderer of all time"...more like "single biggest victim of all time" :rolleyes:

And in the olden days? Puhleeze. Wars between England and France, Italy and Germany, etc. were not because of religion. They were about power. Save maybe the Americas, most wars in "the olden" days were not because of religion.

The Mongols, the Samurai, the Romans, the Greeks, the Koreas, the Vietnamese, the Russians, the Chinese dynasties/kingdoms, the Vikings, the list goes on and on. All these empires fought and gained land and power through war. However, they did not do so because of religion. The Vikings didn't raid England to please Odin :rolleyes:

hrmm good call i could see where alot of them would want more power and money over everything else,

Judaism is a religion.

We have a president so incomprehensibly stupid that he used the word "Crusades," thereby making our response to a holy war a holy war itself. And he was backed up by people who were also so incomprehensibly stupid that they bought it. The greatest nation in the world has been put to shame.

Its sad when people lose site of what matters, They are one of out biggest allies in the east, I bet we screw our relations with them within the next couple years.

:beer: my view is that there definitely is a divine power/being, call it what thou wilt. (and no, I have no concrete evidence or proof that I can show anyone)

Religion - different matter. I believe that they probably all began genuinely with the betterment of mankind and the worship of God in mind.

But over time, man's weaknesses gradually took over, and most of them ended up as institutions steeped in all of the most rotten forms of corruption and depravity - and prey upon the good natured gullibility of the people, depending upon mass population control for their survival in the affluent manner to which they eventually became accustomed. :thumbdown:

:beer: my view is that there definitely is a divine power/being, call it what thou wilt. (and no, I have no concrete evidence or proof that I can show anyone)

Religion - different matter. I believe that they probably all began genuinely with the betterment of mankind and the worship of God in mind.

But over time, man's weaknesses gradually took over, and most of them ended up as institutions steeped in all of the most rotten forms of corruption and depravity - and prey upon the good natured gullibility of the people, depending upon mass population control for their survival in the affluent manner to which they eventually became accustomed. :thumbdown:

Good points. Personally, I just know energy. Taking energy and putting it into entity/diety form is something I just can't do. It doesn't ring true with me at all.

And wannabe, the douchebags I refer to aren't actually people I know personally (thank god :o .....that's a little joke :) )

Good points. Personally, I just know energy. Taking energy and putting it into entity/diety form is something I just can't do. It doesn't ring true with me at all.

And wannabe, the douchebags I refer to aren't actually people I know personally (thank god :o .....that's a little joke :) )

:lol: It's all good, I know you weren't being serious. Also a little joke :P

I'm more spiritual than religious. I don't subscribe to any faith anymore, really. I've all but been excommunicated from the Church for my views and that's cool. If they don't want me, I don't want them. It's mutual.

Well, it took them about 500 years to apologize to Galileo, so I figure in about 500 they'll make a saint out of Sinead O'Connor (for returning to Catholicism- which she did, albiet in an unconventional way :)

:lol: It's all good, I know you weren't being serious. Also a little joke :P

:) I guess it was me who didn't get your joke :P

Another joke- I got the idea for gettin outta hell free from little business cards an athiest group was handing out at a parade. My daughter came home from a parade with that card (it has a funny little cartoon on it, too- I'll have to find it and look at it again) and we both cracked up at it.

This is about religion not race.

And which of the "worst" wars are based on religion? The Crusades? We've had a hell of a lot bigger non-religious wars than those.

Uh, wasn't there a war that included in the deaths of 6 million civilians from a certain religion?

It's getting old WannaBe. There's really no need to attack everyone's frigging comments.

Uh, wasn't there a war that included in the deaths of 6 million civilians from a certain religion?

It's getting old WannaBe. There's really no need to attack everyone's frigging comments.

If you're talking about the Holocaust, Wannabe already stated his opinion about how it'd be the argument against it, because the religious followers would be the victim.

Are we referring to World War II? No "religion" killed 6 million Jews. The Nonreligious Hitler did. Religion was the victim, not the perpetrator.

Sort of already said this..

It's getting old? I barely ever post with you. And I did not, in any way, attack anyone's comment here. You don't have to like what I say, but don't accuse me of attacking someone without backing it up at least.

Thanks to DeepBlackZeppelin for the post

Archived