The Athiest thread

Suz

not true in general practice. You will never find a Jew who believes this, all the Catholics I know do not believe this, and many Christian sects do not believe this.

There are some, but they are a minority. Vocal, yes, but small.

Very good points.

Mussolini actually told Hitler that the Italians wouldn't give up their Jews, and give up the Jews they did not. It wasn't until his death that Hitler sent in Germans to round them up.

It was because they hadn't told Benito where they'd stashed all the money. <_<

The German's never found it either, couldn't get the Jews to talk so they sent them to the gas chambers.

I hate Richard Dawkins. He's obnoxious.

That's obnoxious as in 'has a different opinion than me and is intellegent and articulate enough to back up his views with evidence'.

His books on evolution are superb and explain some reallly complex ideas very well. I would particularly recommend 'The blind watchmaker' and 'The ancestor's tale',

'The god delusion' is more controversial, but again is a very well argued book on why atheism is the correct option to choose.

In no way is he obnoxious - he is a very charming man who has forthright views and argues them strongly, especially when faced with some of the more extreme proponents of religion.

I just dont see how anyone can think religion has done more harm than good. You dont believe, that is fine. I do believe that God exists. I also believe that Jesus was the son of God and I feel I owe it to him to respond to this. Not everyone in this world fears death or is unable to accept its inevitable arrival. People are quick to try and blame God for the problems in the world. You refer to Gods as "them" and we as a species have no need for "them". Speak for yourself but don't include all of us believers in your analysis.

I would just like to point out that when Suz refers to gods as "them" she means all gods. Not just the Judeo-Christian god, but pagan gods, as well.

That's obnoxious as in 'has a different opinion than me and is intellegent and articulate enough to back up his views with evidence'.

His books on evolution are superb and explain some reallly complex ideas very well. I would particularly recommend 'The blind watchmaker' and 'The ancestor's tale',

'The god delusion' is more controversial, but again is a very well argued book on why atheism is the correct option to choose.

In no way is he obnoxious - he is a very charming man who has forthright views and argues them strongly, especially when faced with some of the more extreme proponents of religion.

No, I mean from some videos I've seen he comes off as very snobbish. It just got to me is all. I honestly don't care that he's atheist, I enjoy listening to others like him, makes ya think. But Dawkins himself...he just gets under my skin I guess.

I just dont see how anyone can think religion has done more harm than good. You dont believe, that is fine. I do believe that God exists. I also believe that Jesus was the son of God and I feel I owe it to him to respond to this. Not everyone in this world fears death or is unable to accept its inevitable arrival. People are quick to try and blame God for the problems in the world. You refer to Gods as "them" and we as a species have no need for "them". Speak for yourself but don't include all of us believers in your analysis.

I don't believe in gods, so I can't blame them. I blame the people who use their gods as an excuse to do stupid shit.

I will look for his books at the library. I have Christopher Hitchen's "God is Not Great." That's a hell of a read. I've been loaning it out to friends, since I've read it.

I don't believe in gods, so I can't blame them. I blame the people who use their gods as an excuse to do stupid shit.

Even if they're not atheists, I wish more people took this view. I don't blame religion or any one deity for the suffering that is inflicted on people in its name. I blame the functionally retarded dipshits who say "God/Allah/Yahweh/Vishnu/Buddha/my toaster oven told me to kill those kindergartners with a pipe bomb."

No they didn't, stupid. YOU told yourself to kill those kindergartners with a pipe bomb and even if you weren't religious and didn't give two shits about the afterlife, you would have done it anyway. This leads directly into morons who blame video games and violent movies on school shootings. Look, your little precious snowflake was going to kill those kids even if he watched 24 hours of Looney Toons non-stop. He's fucked up. That's your fault as a parent. Not the TV's fault, not Grand Theft Auto's fault, not Martin Scorcese's fault.

Too many people want to pass the buck as it were, and shirk responsibility for the bad things they do. They'll blame anyone, even if they're not on Earth, just to avoid being punished.

Very interesting, Electrophile. It makes me think of a childhood that never ends. Punishment is an interesting concept. What about accountability?! Or is that too sensible. Very interesting, indeed. It's not just the bad things we do that are farmed out to gods, it's the good ones, too! That used to seem nice to me, as an observer. But now it just seems odd.

Very interesting, Electrophile. It makes me think of a childhood that never ends. Punishment is an interesting concept. What about accountability?! Or is that too sensible. Very interesting, indeed. It's not just the bad things we do that are farmed out to gods, it's the good ones, too! That used to seem nice to me, as an observer. But now it just seems odd.

Where do you think Satan comes from?

Some people don't blame God for everything. They blame Satan. Satan is almost the ultimate scapegoat. There was a time in history where if you did something wrong, all you had to say was "Satan made me do it." Then a priest would perform an exorcism and you'd live on to screw up another day.

There really has never been accountability. In fact, I'd venture to say that accountability is a fairly recent ideal, and one still widely rejected.

It's also the reason I rejected the idea of Jesus being crucified. Supposedly, he died for our sins. There are sects of Christianity that truly believe that because of this, it doesn't matter how big, how evil, of a sin you committed... if you just accept Jesus into your heart, you'll be forgiven and you'll get into Heaven.

I once told an Evangelist that I'd rather go to their Hell then their Heaven for one simple reason: Their Heaven is full of Christian criminals, whereas their Hell is full of non-Christian doctors, humanitarians, musicians, and all-around good people. So I say if I'm gonna get burned by fire, at least I'll have doctors to patch me up, humanitarians to help me heal, musicians to soothe my soul, and friends to stay by my side.

this came to me the other day, I wrote it down,

ya can't see the wind except what is evidenced by its moving. thats how I feel bout GOD. A power greater than myself moving.

I need one fo sure!!

but I respect all of u who do not.

peace and love

this came to me the other day, I wrote it down,

ya can't see the wind except what is evidenced by its moving. thats how I feel bout GOD. A power greater than myself moving.

I need one fo sure!!

but I respect all of u who do not.

peace and love

Thanks. Peace and love to you, too. I guess I can relate to what you're saying- it's how I feel about energy. But I'm a part of it like anything/anyone else.

Even if they're not atheists, I wish more people took this view. I don't blame religion or any one deity for the suffering that is inflicted on people in its name. I blame the functionally retarded dipshits who say "God/Allah/Yahweh/Vishnu/Buddha/my toaster oven told me to kill those kindergartners with a pipe bomb."

No they didn't, stupid. YOU told yourself to kill those kindergartners with a pipe bomb and even if you weren't religious and didn't give two shits about the afterlife, you would have done it anyway. This leads directly into morons who blame video games and violent movies on school shootings. Look, your little precious snowflake was going to kill those kids even if he watched 24 hours of Looney Toons non-stop. He's fucked up. That's your fault as a parent. Not the TV's fault, not Grand Theft Auto's fault, not Martin Scorcese's fault.

Too many people want to pass the buck as it were, and shirk responsibility for the bad things they do. They'll blame anyone, even if they're not on Earth, just to avoid being punished.

Which way do you want it? Its the "Parents", or "The Little Precious Snowflakes", one or the other, you cant have both, which one?

Have you ever tried to bring up kids? There is only so much you can do as a parent.

You need the Government to help you, but they pass laws to stop you smacking your kids, and what do you do when you have a kid that doesn't take any notice of you but listens to their friends and behaves like a little shit? Now you can only talk to them, or put them on the "naughty step", big deal, that really taught them a lesson.

Yes blame the TV, and Films, and Grand Theft Auto, and Martin Scorcese, and Song Lyrics, and the Government, and when they are all held too account and are doing everything they can to stop showing kids how not to behave, then and only then start on the Parents.

And by the way, just how many kids have you had the honor to bring in to this fucked up world and got them through School and in to Jobs without any of them getting in to any trouble at all? If even one, please tell me how you did it as i would like to praise you most highly, i've done it with three, and it was the most enjoyable and hardest thing i have ever accoumplished.

Regards, Danny

That can`t be true. I picked up Jesus hitch-hiking in west Texas. Sandals and all.

We stopped at McDonalds and scored one hambuger.

At the next rest stop he got out and broke that burger into enough food to feed all the truckers and gay guys in the rest stop.

I let him out at the Texas/Louisiana border and I swear he walk on water across the Sabine River, head for New Orleans to confront a hoo doo witch.

Left me a monkey paw as a token of appreciation for the ride.

That is proof enough for me.

And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin, Chasin down a hoodoo there.

No, I mean from some videos I've seen he comes off as very snobbish. It just got to me is all. I honestly don't care that he's atheist, I enjoy listening to others like him, makes ya think. But Dawkins himself...he just gets under my skin I guess.

Maybe it's his 'Englishness' that gives that impression! To be honest, some of the programmes he's been in haven't done him any favours - they're edited in such a way to make 'good' TV. They will show Prof Dawkins discussing religion with some ignorant redneck preacher and inevitably the discussion will become heated. Showing him debating with educated, intelligent theologians does not make for such 'good' TV, although it is clearly much more interesting.

I know that he is friendly with his local vicar and although obviously an athiest describes himself as a 'social christian' ie he was brought up in a Christian society and celebrates Christmas, goes to church on special occasions etc. I can identify with this as I am in the same situation. My wife is a devout christian and is involved in the church, as are my children. I know the vicar and his wife quite well and will attend church if the kids are doing something - school services etc

Thanks. Peace and love to you, too. I guess I can relate to what you're saying- it's how I feel about energy. But I'm a part of it like anything/anyone else.

I think u may enjoy this bit!!

We're all god.

I'm not A god or THE god, but we're all god and we're all potentially divine and potentially evil.

We all have everything within us.

There is a power we can all tap.

God is a power and we're all light bulbs that can tap the electricity.

You can use electricity to kill people or to light the room.

God is that.

I don't need to go to church.

I think people who need a church should go.

The others who know the church is in your own head should visit that temple 'cus that's where the source is.

John Lennon, 1969

Thank you, John Lennon

I agree, Dawkins is very impressed with himself and his supposedly superior intelligence. But even Bill O'Reilly (not one of the sharpest knives in the drawer) effectively shot down some of his arguments when Dawkins was on his show.

I don't care if someone is an atheist or not - I used to be one myself. But I resent their assumption that if you believe in God you're brainwashed or complacent.

Notice how atheists often bring up the Crusades or other religious wars, but never mention all the Christian charities who have been providing food and other services in the developing countries for decades. Just sayin'.

Archived