Over The Hills And Forgot the Lyrics

guitarmy

Seriously, how many times does Robert just repeat the same lyrics over and over (live) and almost never stick to album.

I realize that there were a lot of lyrics for other songs that were added out of improvisation, but this song always bugs me whenever I hear it on a boot.

Is there any particular reason why Robert seems to be in a never ending "many times I've lied and many times I've listened. Many times I've gazed upon the open road" loop?

It's not just a few times either. It's every boot I listen to!

He often jumps to lyrics early in the song that don't come till later in the recording.

Keep in mind that I didn't know what Acapulco Gold was either so I'm a little dense :D

Not really complaining, just darned curious as to wtf is going on?

An inside joke perhaps?

The "Gold" reference is to a certain type of illegal smoking plant that was commonly found on rock and roll tours of the 60's and 70's.

The forgetting of the lyrics was part of the Led Zeppelin mystique, aura, hype, adventure, rampant good times and general nonsense

The "Gold" reference is to a certain type of illegal smoking plant that was commonly found on rock and roll tours of the 60's and 70's.

The forgetting of the lyrics was part of the Led Zeppelin mystique, aura, hype, adventure, rampant good times and general nonsense

Haha yeah if you want a laugh, this thread is me finding it out.

Apparently I was preceded in my regards for this song. A search for "Acapulco" revealed this former thread about this very topic. oops.

Someone else didn't know what it was either. I feel validated!

I think some of it is that they were early versions of the songs also. You hear different versions of Black Dog in early 71 or different versions of SIBLY in early 1970. These songs weren't finished products yet so the lyrics weren't set.

I think some of it is that they were early versions of the songs also. You hear different versions of Black Dog in early 71 or different versions of SIBLY in early 1970. These songs weren't finished products yet so the lyrics weren't set.

ah yes...speaking of that someone else...

I keep forgetting how much they preceded themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one thing that has been puzzling me for quite some time:

Live, Robert would sing it, "Many times I loved", but on the album it sounds like he says, "Many have I loved".

Which is the correct lyric?

It wasn't just Robert "rearranging" lyrics. In 1987 (?) Springsteen froze and forgot the lyrics to Thunder Road at the Rupp arena show in Lexington. That was the only concert that I have ever been in the front row for; some of the die-hards from New Jersey immediately caught on and started singing it to him. I didn't have a clue that anything was wrong until they started helping him. I don't think he had been smoking anything either, it just happens. It certainly didn't bother the audience any, the band played on like it was nothing. I never saw Zeppelin live but I am sure Page, Bonham and JPJ played on and probably didn't even realize Robert was rearranging anything. LOL

It wasn't just Robert "rearranging" lyrics. In 1987 (?) Springsteen froze and forgot the lyrics to Thunder Road at the Rupp arena show in Lexington. That was the only concert that I have ever been in the front row for; some of the die-hards from New Jersey immediately caught on and started singing it to him. I didn't have a clue that anything was wrong until they started helping him. I don't think he had been smoking anything either, it just happens. It certainly didn't bother the audience any, the band played on like it was nothing. I never saw Zeppelin live but I am sure Page, Bonham and JPJ played on and probably didn't even realize Robert was rearranging anything. LOL

And who knows if he did it on purpose or not. As we know much of the show was improvised

• 3 weeks later...

yeah that was the ONE time it happened.

I think it happened more often with Plant.

Archived